Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm really interested in where 'down here' is that didn't have regular tortillas.

I'm sure if you used your brain for a few seconds you'd come to the right answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Fo3 posted:

loving australia, do I have to say that every post!?
Gets boring saying it over and over.
You can get shelf stable 3 month old corn tortillas if you want, but no one is making them fresh. Corn and mexican food is not big here at all (unless buying the tex mex brand "old el paso" or "mission" junk. Most of the time I buy fresh pita bread as a tortilla substitute if not making it myself.

:smith: I feel sorry for your country.

My cousins used to live in the Netherlands when they were teens, and I remember they would pack their bags with Mexican bread,candies,chips and whatever food they could take whenever they came to visit, because they told me poo poo over there was sort of bland.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mouse Dresser posted:

That's the biggest one I've found, but I'm sure there's a bigger version out there.

There's not. It's the original size to keep the file smaller. I made it.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Desperado Bones posted:

My cousins used to live in the Netherlands when they were teens, and I remember they would pack their bags with Mexican bread,candies,chips and whatever food they could take whenever they came to visit, because they told me poo poo over there was sort of bland.

Mexican in Canada here.

I was lucky to find tomatillos here and each time I went to buy them, the cashiers were like "Uh what are these?"

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Plinkey posted:

You are a god among men.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Desperado Bones posted:

I currently live in Vegas and never felt wanting for flavor, until I went back to Texas this week.

:sadcow:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Desperado Bones posted:

Australians get mad if everything doesn't taste bland and or bitter as gently caress so it's okay!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Possibly Chicken posted:

Australians get mad if everything doesn't taste bland and or bitter as gently caress so it's okay!

Australia: home of the 'extra mild' salsa :smith:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
To be fair, not all of us are like that. Those of us lucky enough to have significant Indian and Thai populations nearby gradually work up our affection for actual spice and move up to versions they aren't making bland as gently caress to appeal to the general palate. The Australian culinary world is in a bit of a change at the moment with an increasing emphasis on flavour and international influences merging with local techniques and ingredients, so over the next two decades things should improve a little.

At the moment though eating at a friend's place can be a recipe for the Sadface. I had a friend caution me a curry he made was for the 'daring'. It had zero spice. Like, none. I had to put so much spiced lime pickle on there to get any that it was overwhelmingly sour.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Mexican in Canada here.

I was lucky to find tomatillos here and each time I went to buy them, the cashiers were like "Uh what are these?"

Where are you? I've seen them at Superstore

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

cyberia posted:

Australia: home of the 'extra mild' salsa :smith:

The closest I've found for decent, non expensive specialty store salsa is the Byron bay chilli co stuff. Its actually pretty alright.
The sad part was how excited I was about the discovery of non-poo poo salsa at like age twenty. gently caress this gay country.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'm glad to live in a country where we are obsessed with spicy things* :allears: Can't wait for the day we invent Coca-cola with habanero or some weird stuff like that.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I just wish corn was cheap in Canada. Paying premium for corn tortillas sucks, because flour tortillas are so bad in comparison. I've decided to just try and make my own now because there is nothing like a fresh corn tortilla!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I just wish corn was cheap in Canada. Paying premium for corn tortillas sucks, because flour tortillas are so bad in comparison. I've decided to just try and make my own now because there is nothing like a fresh corn tortilla!

Oof, I'm so sorry! My northern (:911:) city has nearly as many Mexicans as LA county, and there's a whole tortilla factory district here. Riding your bike past it at night is loving heavenly.

Also suck my American corn subsidies! I just bought 5 ears of the sweetest, best corn in the world for 85 cents.

Bibliotechno Music has a new favorite as of 05:40 on May 9, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

big mean giraffe posted:

I'm really interested in where 'down here' is that didn't have regular tortillas.

Fo3 is wrong anyway, we've definitely had tacos and tortillas for a lot longer than 7 years. Also, flat-bottomed tacos are a gimmick that one company does, not some weird Australian way to make them. And I don't know what he means about Mexican food not being big here, because just about every supermarket seems to have a "Mexican" section. Even if the pre-packaged spices in "taco kits" or jars of salsa or whatever aren't "authentic" it's not like you can't get the ingredients to just make stuff.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Fo3 is wrong anyway, we've definitely had tacos and tortillas for a lot longer than 7 years. Also, flat-bottomed tacos are a gimmick that one company does, not some weird Australian way to make them. And I don't know what he means about Mexican food not being big here, because just about every supermarket seems to have a "Mexican" section. Even if the pre-packaged spices in "taco kits" or jars of salsa or whatever aren't "authentic" it's not like you can't get the ingredients to just make stuff.

How are your guys's bloomin onions?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm glad to live in a country where we are obsessed with spicy things* :allears: Can't wait for the day we invent Coca-cola with habanero or some weird stuff like that.

I want this to happen please. Go call someone in government!

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Senior Scarybagels posted:

How are your guys's bloomin onions?

Venomous, probably.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

OctoberBlues posted:

The Bigfoot was clearly the best party pizza, may it rest in peace.

All these years I thought that was Little Caesar's pizza.
I've been living a lie! :cry:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

What's the source video for the cylindrical eggs? I've searched on Youtube to no avail.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Tiggum posted:

FO3 also said we can't buy jars of crushed tomatos that aren't Italian imports that time. I really wanna know where he shops.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Laserjet 4P posted:

What's the source video for the cylindrical eggs? I've searched on Youtube to no avail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1-R8mizqRc

From a German educational kids' show, that's probably why you had trouble finding it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

From a German educational kids' show, that's probably why you had trouble finding it.

Thanks! I thought it was a "How It's Made" but when you search for "tube egg" you get nothing. I used to watch this show too, with the little purple elephant and the mouse making the clicking sounds.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah that's the one. I don't even know German but it was oddly calming to watch and capture that video over and over again to get the right scenes.

https://youtu.be/f3Q8nbtRNT0

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Laserjet 4P posted:

Thanks! I thought it was a "How It's Made" but when you search for "tube egg" you get nothing. I used to watch this show too, with the little purple elephant and the mouse making the clicking sounds.

This description makes it sound like something out of a sci-fi pepperoni nightmare. :psyduck:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't understand the advantage of the tube egg? Why bother?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Throatwarbler posted:

Why not? It'd be more convenient than carrying around several hard boiled eggs, you don't have to peel them, you can just pull out your egg and eat the egg on the go.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If you're a restaurant and you need a whole lot of egg slices you don't have to cook and slice a whole lot of eggs. Also if you're in prison and want to win a bet you can agree on them as a standardized quantity so the other guy can't weasel out of it by saying "oh I meant quail".

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Throatwarbler posted:

And if you want to make a whole set of meals involving a slice of egg it means everyone gets the same amount of yolk and white. I hope this was eggucational.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
But eggs already come sorted into different sizes, is the minute difference in volume between eggs really such a big deal as to necessitate such an elaborate contraption?

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

If wanting there to be rules against this makes me Pizza Hitler, then Pizza Hitler I shall be.

Somebody actually loving made Taco in a Bag.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

PubicMice posted:

I was with you up to this point. Bagged tacos are loving rad and I'll fight you irl

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Throatwarbler posted:

But eggs already come sorted into different sizes, is the minute difference in volume between eggs really such a big deal as to necessitate such an elaborate contraption?

You are right. As you have no use for tube-shaped eggs, no one does. They probably built the whole machine for fun, let it run for 5 minutes to make a video, then disassembled it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

To be fair, it was worth it.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

Have you ever worked in a kitchen?

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Loomer posted:

FO3 also said we can't buy jars of crushed tomatos that aren't Italian imports that time. I really wanna know where he shops.

Isn't he from Perth? I feel like that explains a lot in itself: WA is thirty years behind the times and super white. Food in WA is a goddamn travesty.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PCOS Bill posted:

Have you ever worked in a kitchen?

If you do you'd better use fresh eggs.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

slingshot effect posted:

Isn't he from Perth? I feel like that explains a lot in itself: WA is thirty years behind the times and super white. Food in WA is a goddamn travesty.

yes :( E: City of 2 million people, only 10 "Mexican" restaurants and at least half of them, maybe more, are tex-mex anyway.
Way more South East Asian food around here for obvious reasons.
Closest Mexican shop to Perth is in Adelaide (chile mojo), that's 2700km away.
Loomer, I didn't say crushed tomatoes, I said no cans of tomato sauce (ie strained tomatoes) around. It's only sold here as italian passata.

E: deleted dumb tiggum stuff.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 16:59 on May 9, 2015

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

PubicMice posted:

I don't really get why you would make them at home, but they are a staple of what's served at the canteen at small-town community gatherings where I come from. It's all the same ingredients and you don't have the added trash/expense of a plate. I don't really see a downside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Smoked oysters and nachos? :stonk:

• Locked thread