Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the anti-deutsche tendency being a real thing never ceases to amaze me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

the anti-deutsche tendency being a real thing never ceases to amaze me

Why would it? Neocon opposition to the liberal / social democratic postwar order is a thing everywhere else, why not Germany?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

icantfindaname posted:

Why would it? Neocon opposition to the liberal / social democratic postwar order is a thing everywhere else, why not Germany?

because it's so stupid and it seems to retain its leftist roots much clearer in germany than anywhere else

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So GDL's striking again. I don't remember the last time it's been a whole week though, usually they just do a couple days?

Edit: oh apparently it's the longest one ever. I'm all for strong unions and whatnot but GDL seems to have been really pushing it lately, especially now as tourist season is starting up.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I think the longest was two days. I'm so glad that I don't have to commute by train anymore. Combined with other problems last year was hell for people travelling by train.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I think the longest was two days. I'm so glad that I don't have to commute by train anymore. Combined with other problems last year was hell for people travelling by train.

I don't own a car and have to commute to work by train every day, but thankfully it's only one station down and I'm covered by a small private railway. But if I lived farther out from the office, like in Frankfurt or something, I'd be completely hosed.

I feel bad for a cousin of mine who's visiting on a weeklong university trip. Now they're most likely gonna be stuck in Mannheim, missing out on the majority of their trip itinerary (which would have been in Munich). And all because GDL wouldn't accept a meager 4.7% pay raise as opposed to a 5% increase.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 4, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Drone posted:

So GDL's striking again. I don't remember the last time it's been a whole week though, usually they just do a couple days?

Edit: oh apparently it's the longest one ever. I'm all for strong unions and whatnot but GDL seems to have been really pushing it lately, especially now as tourist season is starting up.

The GDL embodies everything that's wrong with unions. Let's hope that the Tarifeinheitsgesetz gets enacted asap and Weselsky loses his job.

It's important to note that they are not on strike for better conditions or more money but only to give the GDL more power, which is just insane.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm for strong unions and I think if train drivers (and related jobs) are as important on a base level to running the country as they obviously are, as evidenced by the effects of the strikes themselves, they should be very well paid, but I also think if you stuffed the Bahn and GDL negotiators all in a bag and beat it with a stick you wouldn't hit anyone who doesn't deserve it.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I'm not sure if I understand the new planned union law correctly. If there are two unions in a company, does the one with the most members overall get to say what they want or the union with the most members in the particular job in that company? The former would be retarded, the latter owuld be good in my opinion.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I'm not sure if I understand the new planned union law correctly. If there are two unions in a company, does the one with the most members overall get to say what they want or the union with the most members in the particular job in that company? The former would be retarded, the latter owuld be good in my opinion.

The union with the most members in a certain business. I'm not sure why such a solution is "retarded", as it prohibits certain key personal to hold much larger companies hostage (e.g. pilots, train drivers) and protects businesses against the threat of having to negotiate with several different unions.

It's important to keep in mind that the current conflict is about the GDL wanting to represent people in jobs where the EVG has more members than the GDL and if the the GDL would not have been such giant assholes the law would have had no chance.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm for strong unions and I think if train drivers (and related jobs) are as important on a base level to running the country as they obviously are, as evidenced by the effects of the strikes themselves, they should be very well paid, but I also think if you stuffed the Bahn and GDL negotiators all in a bag and beat it with a stick you wouldn't hit anyone who doesn't deserve it.

The Bahn is doing everything they can and wants to bring in a mediator to decide the conflict. The GDL is the side that has an "all or nothing" approach here.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Let me ask you the other way round: would it be useful to have just one union representing the interests of all workers? Anyways, I'm not too sure anyways, how many unions are necessary and how finely subdivided they should be amongs different jobs.

I'm worrying more about the general decline of members in both unions and political parties by the way.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Drone posted:

I don't own a car and have to commute to work by train every day, but thankfully it's only one station down and I'm covered by a small private railway. But if I lived farther out from the office, like in Frankfurt or something, I'd be completely hosed.

That's pretty much me. I commute from Frankfurt to Fulda every day for school so I'm in the boned zone. Gonna see if I can crash on a classmate's couch for a couple days.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Let me ask you the other way round: would it be useful to have just one union representing the interests of all workers? Anyways, I'm not too sure anyways, how many unions are necessary and how finely subdivided they should be amongs different jobs.

I'm worrying more about the general decline of members in both unions and political parties by the way.

Hasn't the "one big union" thing been tried before, to pretty crappy results? I mean I'm a pro-union guy, but to me it wouldn't make sense to have 1 "general" union for everything, rather independent unions based on industry and profession that work together.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

If having multiple and more specialized unions is useful, then having a rule like 'the union with the most members overall in a company gets to negotiate for all manner of jobs in that company' is counterproductive.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GaussianCopula posted:

The union with the most members in a certain business. I'm not sure why such a solution is "retarded", as it prohibits certain key personal to hold much larger companies hostage (e.g. pilots, train drivers) and protects businesses against the threat of having to negotiate with several different unions.

Why should they need to be protected against that? If you employ several distinct kinds of employees, you need to negotiate with their respective unions, that's how it works.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

iawtp

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You can't have two different unions for the same people making different demands within the same company. It's just chaos.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Riso posted:

You can't have two different unions for the same people making different demands within the same company. It's just chaos.

Good thing that's not even in the cards, then.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

botany posted:

Good thing that's not even in the cards, then.

Actually that's exactly what the GDL wants and why they are on strike.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

http://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/gdl-streik-155.html

quote:

Im Tarifstreit zwischen der Gewerkschaft Deutscher Lokomotivführer (GDL) und der Deutschen Bahn soll der ehemalige brandenburgische Ministerpräsident Matthias Platzeck (SPD) vermitteln. Diesen Vorschlag habe die Bahn der GDL gemacht, um im Tarifstreit "auf einem anderen Weg vorankommen" zu können, sagte Bahn-Chef Rüdiger Grube in Berlin. Voraussetzung für diese Vermittlung sei, dass sie sofort beginne und dass die GDL ihren aktuellen Streik beende.

Platzeck habe dazu seine Bereitschaft erklärt, sagte Grube weiter. Die GDL könne zusätzlich eine eigene Person des Vertrauens hinzuziehen. Der Konzern wolle diesen Weg gehen, weil die GDL derzeit "noch nicht bereit ist, in eine Schlichtung einzutreten", sagte Grube. Personalvorstand Ulrich Weber sagte, der Vorschlag bedeute formal keine Schlichtung. Eine Schlichtung wäre aber das Beste, um voranzukommen, fügte Weber hinzu. Die GDL lehnt eine Schlichtung bisher ab.
What am I missing here that qualifies Platzeck specifically as a mediator? Nothing against the man himself but there's little about his vita that screams he's an expert for railway infrastructure or labor contracting. There's a photo in the article labelled "Matthias Platzeck im Führerstand eines ICE während seiner Ministerpräsidenten-Sommerreise im Jahr 2006"; far as I can tell that's the extent of it.

Sure, he's a known name, but if that's what it boils down to, PR gag sounds about right. Might as well offer to have Achim Mentzel mediate.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

What am I missing here that qualifies Platzeck specifically as a mediator? Nothing against the man himself but there's little about his vita that screams he's an expert for railway infrastructure or labor contracting. There's a photo in the article labelled "Matthias Platzeck im Führerstand eines ICE während seiner Ministerpräsidenten-Sommerreise im Jahr 2006"; far as I can tell that's the extent of it.

Sure, he's a known name, but if that's what it boils down to, PR gag sounds about right. Might as well offer to have Achim Mentzel mediate.

He is a former SPD chairman and minister-president, thats pretty much the typical qualification for mediators in this kind of conflict. The fact that he is from East Germany is a plus because the GDL is especially strong in the East.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 6, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Because as a politician he has, of course, never had to broker a compromise between two parties that had wildly different positions. He will also have no staff whatsoever and won't be allowed to conduct any research before or during the negotiations.

He isn't asked to make a judgment one way or the other, he is asked to mediate, which means talk to both sides and see if you can't work something out.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Disclaimer for stupid people: I did not create this.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
:lol:

so is the poo poo heap in the DDR or the BRD?

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 7, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And here I was afraid I'd posted the dumbest thing on this page.

Is the message "the internet is full of ideological poo poo already"?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's poo poo all the way down.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Riso posted:

The internet cleans itself of poo poo. A bizarro world Good Cartoon.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 7, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
on a gbs note, totally would

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Riso posted:

"@AntiFemComics"?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Cingulate posted:

"@AntiFemComics"?
I checked the twitter account and it's brutally amazing.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Live stream from a "mass"demonstration by conspiratards in berlin right now. Apparently they want to occupy the Reichstag.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/kundegebungen-berlin-germany

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
I am pretty pro GDL strike. For me it boils down to the following thing:
-The new rule (very probably unconstitutional) would empower the big Unions against the small ones.
-The big Unions are typically in bed with business. They are also very heavily entwined with the political classes.
-Employees would loose any choice about the Union they are represented by
-Frankly, the current move by the SPD would ironically enough move the situation in Germany closer to that in Putins Russia, were Unions are indirectly run by the ruling party, and have a twofold role of both preempting genuine Union organisation from the bottom up and to move against business interests the state wants to reduce a bit.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mightypeon posted:

I am pretty pro GDL strike. For me it boils down to the following thing:
-The new rule (very probably unconstitutional) would empower the big Unions against the small ones.
-The big Unions are typically in bed with business. They are also very heavily entwined with the political classes.
-Employees would loose any choice about the Union they are represented by
-Frankly, the current move by the SPD would ironically enough move the situation in Germany closer to that in Putins Russia, were Unions are indirectly run by the ruling party, and have a twofold role of both preempting genuine Union organisation from the bottom up and to move against business interests the state wants to reduce a bit.

Speaking of the strike: I've read some conflicting sources on this, but isn't the EVG already authorised to negotiate on behalf of the minority of conductors organised with them? Because that seems to be exactly the same thing that the GDL is asking for for their own non-conductor members.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I used to be pro GDL strikes but at some point it's just too loving much. Losing 2 or more hours a day for a week because the only way you can get to uni is by train? gently caress them.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
But isn't the whole point of a strike making you feel what'd happen if nobody did that particular work? You should hate on their employer instead.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Zwille posted:

But isn't the whole point of a strike making you feel what'd happen if nobody did that particular work? You should hate on their employer instead.

No. That is a side effect, although one that is most prominent. Strikes work by disrupting Business operations leading to financial losses.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zwille posted:

You should hate on their employer instead.
When your plan is to get people to hate Deutsche Bahn more, you should probably rethink your concept.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I couldn't possibly hate the Deutsche Bahn anymore than I already do. This strike has zero effect on the Bahns public image and they know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
We live in a democracy where the majority principle is often employed, therefore I believe the that it's good if the Tarifeinheitsgesetz gets enacted and the employees can decide which union should negotiate for them. The idea that big unions are all "in bed with business" in some nefarious way is just stupid as they are democratic institutions and if the employees were not satisfied they could just replace the leadership or create their own union and get enough members to have a majority.

PS: The goal of the strike is to force the Bundesregierung to intervene in the conflict and to make the Tarifeinheitsgesetz look worse. It's no coincidence that it happened in the week that the Tarifeinheitsgesetz was discussed in the committee.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 9, 2015