Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
She made it legal for them to carry weapons and enforce religious laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

COOL CORN posted:

I think the implication was "in the past, the Seven had their own army, so if you guys want to do that again, go for it." I don't think she actually gave them any men.

OK that makes more sense. For what it's worth I learned that Tywin purposefully had King's Landing guards keep sparrows out of town in the past so as to avoid problems with them.

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

COOL CORN posted:

I think the implication was "in the past, the Seven had their own army, so if you guys want to do that again, go for it." I don't think she actually gave them any men.

Correct, she had Tommen sign off on a royal decree to re-establish the faith militant. As the High Sparrow mentioned, back in the day, the Sept maintained their own standing army. One of the past Targaryens thought having a bunch of armed zealots running around was a bad idea and banned it in the first place.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh wow. So she basically just hosed her family over to stay in power just a little longer. They are going to kill anyone whose a freak or monster in their eyes (gays and incest right?)

How did she not think she'd be on their radar

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
She's desperate.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Also drunk and dumb

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
hot, dont forget hot

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
And because she thought the rank and file sparrows would care for whether or not she was a supporter of their leader.

That they don't even give the King the time of day should be a massive warning flag.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Oh wow. So she basically just hosed her family over to stay in power just a little longer. They are going to kill anyone whose a freak or monster in their eyes (gays and incest right?)

How did she not think she'd be on their radar

"All according to plan." - Littlefinger

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Lycus posted:

She made it legal for them to carry weapons and enforce religious laws.

And an armed group of religious zealots lead by a cunning, charismatic leader has never been a problem for anyone!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

monster on a stick posted:

"All according to plan." - Littlefinger

Except they are messing up his whoring business. I guess now he could have moved on to whoring out Starks.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Elephanthead posted:

Except they are messing up his whoring business. I guess now he could have moved on to whoring out Starks.
Now that he has the Eyrie, I don't think LF will be very upset about his whoring business when he returns to the capital. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a contrite and productive conversation with the High Sparrow

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Dick Jones posted:

Now that he has the Eyrie, I don't think LF will be very upset about his whoring business when he returns to the capital.

I also doubt he cares all that much about his brothels. They earned him some money, and more relevantly provided him sensitive information. But at this point, he's probably beyond both things. He's way wealthier as Lord of the Vale than he ever was as a pimp, and his masterstroke political maneuvering in King's Landing - incurring crippling debt as Master of Coin, and destabilizing the Lannisters by killing Joffrey - already happened.

The Starks, Arryns, and Lannisters are already either under his control or falling apart thanks to his actions. At this point, I'm sure he's looking North to dismantle both the Boltons and Stannis Baratheon.

I'm just curious how Littlefinger would think to cope with Daenerys. She seems like a variable he hasn't addressed yet.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Xealot posted:

I'm just curious how Littlefinger would think to cope with Daenerys. She seems like a variable he hasn't addressed yet.

"Your family was killed by the Lannisters, Starks, Arryns, Tullys, and Baratheons. I brought down each of their houses..."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xealot posted:

Ironically, I kinda think he would just assume honesty was the best policy with her - "I hosed over everybody else to get power, but you can trust me because I'm scared of you, because I can't coerce, cajole, bribe or intimidate giant loving dragons."

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Ironically, I kinda think he would just assume honesty was the best policy with her - "I hosed over everybody else to get power, but you can trust me because I'm scared of you, because I can't coerce, cajole, bribe or intimidate giant loving dragons."

Littlefinger is going to control the dragons by playing his valyrian steel dagger like the green ranger

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I just noticed in the scene when Stannis and Shireen are talking ("boredom indicates a lack of inner resources"), Shireen is playing with a Dreadfort token from Stannis' strategy tabletop. This map seems somewhat of a step down from his Special Edition 3D Catan Westeros table from Season 2.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I just noticed in the scene when Stannis and Shireen are talking ("boredom indicates a lack of inner resources"), Shireen is playing with a Dreadfort token from Stannis' strategy tabletop. This map seems somewhat of a step down from his Special Edition 3D Catan Westeros table from Season 2.

In the same scene, when Stannis begins his monologue, he goes to the map and returns the token that Shireen was playing with back to its rightful place. The Mannis keeps his eyes on the prize even when he's melting your heart.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

The scale model of Westeros (in painstaking detail) is one of the features of Dragonstone, but sadly not portable.

You know who had the travel version? Robb.

I hope Stannis isn't using Robb's old set :smith:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Xealot posted:

I also doubt he cares all that much about his brothels. They earned him some money, and more relevantly provided him sensitive information. But at this point, he's probably beyond both things. He's way wealthier as Lord of the Vale than he ever was as a pimp, and his masterstroke political maneuvering in King's Landing - incurring crippling debt as Master of Coin, and destabilizing the Lannisters by killing Joffrey - already happened.

The Starks, Arryns, and Lannisters are already either under his control or falling apart thanks to his actions. At this point, I'm sure he's looking North to dismantle both the Boltons and Stannis Baratheon.

I think his masterstroke was getting the man married to the lady he loves killed, and having her still looking to him for help afterward (and everyone else fighting a hilariously stupid war)

I kinda think he killed Joffrey in an act primarily driven by vengeance, not strategy. Tommen is, even if toothless, a better king, and there's no way he predicted Tyrion would kill Tywin ( predicting Cersei would accuse Tyrion would not be hard), so the murder wouldn't actually have necessarily weakened the Lannisters.

Of course, the funny bit is that he is the one responsible for Cat's death in every way that matters

Secret Machine posted:

Correct, she had Tommen sign off on a royal decree to re-establish the faith militant. As the High Sparrow mentioned, back in the day, the Sept maintained their own standing army. One of the past Targaryens thought having a bunch of armed zealots running around was a bad idea and banned it in the first place.

And if a loving Targaryen thought it was bad idea...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Bobo the Red posted:

I think his masterstroke was getting the man married to the lady he loves killed, and having her still looking to him for help afterward (and everyone else fighting a hilariously stupid war)

I kinda think he killed Joffrey in an act primarily driven by vengeance, not strategy. Tommen is, even if toothless, a better king, and there's no way he predicted Tyrion would kill Tywin ( predicting Cersei would accuse Tyrion would not be hard), so the murder wouldn't actually have necessarily weakened the Lannisters.

Of course, the funny bit is that he is the one responsible for Cat's death in every way that matters

Well, to be fair, a Targaryen also thought you could trust Tywin and that the best way to tend a country was to burn it to the ground.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Perky posted:

The scale model of Westeros (in painstaking detail) is one of the features of Dragonstone, but sadly not portable.

You know who had the travel version? Robb.

I hope Stannis isn't using Robb's old set :smith:

I don't think so; Robb would've left his set in the Riverlands and Stannis hasn't been that way. Castle Black just probably has their own set from the same craftsman.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bobo the Red posted:

I kinda think he killed Joffrey in an act primarily driven by vengeance, not strategy.

Probably a little from column A, a little from column B.

He couldn't have predicted the precise outcome with Tywin, but I could see him predicting Tyrion would get the blame. Because that would accomplish a lot: alienating Jaime from Tywin, forcing a wedge between Jaime and Cersei, and making Cersei more paranoid and generally insane. And it gets Tyrion out of the game, who's one of few people clever enough to see through Baelish's crap.

Also, Joffrey may have been a rabid dog, but his death creates the perception that the Lannisters are a dying dynasty, imploding from within. It makes it harder to have confidence in their staying power. Not to mention that Baelish is currently allied with the Tyrells, who stand to gain the most from the Lannisters being as weak and malleable as possible, and are more likely to let him do his thing in the North.

Of course, Tywin getting crossbowed is just gravy. And you can't make a kidney pie without that.

Bobo the Red posted:

Eh. They must have been pretty chill once upon a time, right?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Do you guys think Jaime and Bronn passed by Gendry on the way to Dorne?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Do you guys think Jaime and Bronn passed by Gendry on the way to Dorne?

We need something like Santa Tracker but for Gendry.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Xealot posted:

Also, Joffrey may have been a rabid dog, but his death creates the perception that the Lannisters are a dying dynasty, imploding from within. It makes it harder to have confidence in their staying power. Not to mention that Baelish is currently allied with the Tyrells, who stand to gain the most from the Lannisters being as weak and malleable as possible, and are more likely to let him do his thing in the North.

Of course, Tywin getting crossbowed is just gravy. And you can't make a kidney pie without that.

Eh. They must have been pretty chill once upon a time, right?

At this stage aren't the Lannisters pretty much a spent force? They don't seem to have anyone in the 'new marriages and alliances' generation. Tommen and Myrcella are Baratheons, Lancel, Tyrion and Jaimie have all opted (or been opted) out of bearing Lannister heirs and Cersei becomes whatever she is married into by dint of being a woman in a medieval world?

I'm kind of surprised that the Faith of the Seven doesn't have a 'The King is appointed by the Gods' clause - or do the Sparrows just ignore that as part of their fanatical puritanical offshoot nature? Do religious laws apply to everyone rather than the King's laws applying only to his subjects and at his discretion?

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
The Iron Throne wasn't built on the basis of the Faith or any religion, it was built on the basis of three big rear end dragons. Gods never appointed kings on the Iron Throne, just war and blood. The king's laws take precedence over the church, which is pretty evident when you consider that two of the kingdoms don't even follow the Seven.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lloyd Boner posted:

The Iron Throne wasn't built on the basis of the Faith or any religion, it was built on the basis of three big rear end dragons. Gods never appointed kings on the Iron Throne, just war and blood. The king's laws take precedence over the church, which is pretty evident when you consider that two of the kingdoms don't even follow the Seven.
Even if there was a "The king is appointed by the gods" clause, that might not be particularly effective against any sort of religious reformers either. If being appointed by the gods is what makes someone a king, then saying the man on the throne was merely appointed by men essentially strips him of his crown, at least in the eyes of fellow believers.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

We need something like Santa Tracker but for Gendry.

He lost one oar just outside the harbour and has just been going round in circles ever since.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Just realized that Brienne and Stannis are heading for the same place and last episode made a point of reminding us that Brienne has sworn to kill him. M-my favorites :ohdear:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Just realized that Brienne and Stannis are heading for the same place and last episode made a point of reminding us that Brienne has sworn to kill him. M-my favorites :ohdear:
The king could probably use a Valyrian steel sword.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Named Oathkeeper. Seems apt for the unbending Stannis.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Really excited for Pod to bang Melisandre

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Does killing a claimant put you in the succession line? Also, wouldn't it be queen?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

MizPiz posted:

Does killing a claimant put you in the succession line? Also, wouldn't it be queen?

It would if you were a claimant yourself. Otherwise it doesn't mean poo poo, Jaime killed the the mad king and he wouldn't have been in the line of succession, and he was from high nobility. They mention Ned could have taken the throne after the rebellion but that's because he was well-liked and people would have just not cared too much.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

He lost one oar just outside the harbour and has just been going round in circles ever since.

I like to imagine Gendry is super swole now, with a cool beard, and he stumbled upon the Iron Islands and is whipping them into shape.

Ramsey is going to get a rowboat to the face soon, I just know it.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I like to imagine Gendry is super swole now, with a cool beard, and he stumbled upon the Iron Islands and is whipping them into shape.

Ramsey is going to get a rowboat to the face soon, I just know it.

Yara went the long way around Westeros twice to go to the Dreadfort, she probably passed Gendry both times and picked him up the second time just so as not to go home totally empty handed.

With any luck she picked up The Blackfish too (who was of course not in a boat but literally swimming, to live up to his name).

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

"Chaos is a ladder" - killing Joffrey adds turbulence, even though everyone hated Joffrey killing the king is always going to add further instability and Littlefinger can go get more power while everyone is busy dealing with the aftermath. Similarly giving Sansa to the Boltons adds it - if the Boltons harm Sansa than the North will rise in rebellion again and the Lannisters may lose an ally, if they keep her safe than Cersei is going to want to go after them and ignore all the other trouble Littlefinger will be causing, if Stannis manages to liberate Winterfell and make Sansa Lordess of the North then civil war will break out again and no matter who wins will have to deal with more chaos. Littlefinger's strategy is that no matter what happens to Sansa, he wins because the "winner" will be busy while letting Littlefinger do stuff like take over the loser's former lands.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

"Chaos is a ladder" - killing Joffrey adds turbulence, even though everyone hated Joffrey killing the king is always going to add further instability and Littlefinger can go get more power while everyone is busy dealing with the aftermath. Similarly giving Sansa to the Boltons adds it - if the Boltons harm Sansa than the North will rise in rebellion again and the Lannisters may lose an ally, if they keep her safe than Cersei is going to want to go after them and ignore all the other trouble Littlefinger will be causing, if Stannis manages to liberate Winterfell and make Sansa Lordess of the North then civil war will break out again and no matter who wins will have to deal with more chaos. Littlefinger's strategy is that no matter what happens to Sansa, he wins because the "winner" will be busy while letting Littlefinger do stuff like take over the loser's former lands.

Killing Joffrey arguably would have made the kingdom significantly more stable if the trial didn't go exactly how it went. Tywin would probably have done it if he didn't have a hardon for the ideal of 'family'. That's why I think that particular action came from a place of vengeance (the Lannisters were his staunch allies)

As much as Littlefinger may have touted his love of chaos, he likely has an endgame that requires that chaos to dissipate. He's already effectively Lord of one of the Seven Kingdoms, and he is highly unlikely to be able to actually seize the throne. So, what does he want? He wants Catelyn Tully... or the next best thing. To get her and keep her, eventually he will need the murderorgy to end.

It would if you were a claimant yourself. Otherwise it doesn't mean poo poo, Jaime killed the the mad king and he wouldn't have been in the line of succession, and he was from high nobility. They mention Ned could have taken the throne after the rebellion but that's because he was well-liked and people would have just not cared too much.

Killing someone in the line of succession pretty much eliminates you from that line, if people know you did it. Ned could have taken the throne because they were overthrowing the entire dynasty, so Targaryen succession literally didn't matter anymore.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

are we ready for more Stannis action?

• Locked thread