Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I'm definitely loving the 6-2-2-2 swiss queues, though. Just did 2 Tempest remastered ones, first one I was one point short of winning the finals, but I took the second one down. It feels like winning an 8-4, with the bonus of still getting to play for prizes if you get manascrewed/flooded round 1. If they don't bring these to current draft formats, I will stick to drafting old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I have a forest and three mountains on the board, playing atarka red. I have three goblins on the board. Enemy is at 4 health and had a warden of the first tree with level 1 and a counter making him 4/4. They also have a siege rhino. I'm at 12 health or so.

Lightning strike in my hand, enemy has enough untapped to level the warden. Obviously not a good place for me to be, I decided to swing in with all. He upgraded the warden and blocked, I lightning strike it to kill it.

I ended up losing after drawing four more lands, but was that the right play? Siege rhino decks give me a lot of trouble. In retrospect I'm thinking maybe, knowing he had a lifelink guy ready, I save the strike and hopef or an atarka's command to kill him and prevent life gain or something, but I was hoping to draw a stoke or something. The biggest issue was just too many lands. And i'm only running 20!

Dohaeris fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 9, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

rabidsquid posted:

Theros and beyond has had really bad value in general. I think you need to be at 75% right now to be positive in two mans.

Two-mans have always been 4 tix going in for one pack coming out. Any change in value there is due to packs becoming more or less valuable, not Wizards screwing around with the payouts.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So today my wife watched my buddy and I playing cards... She started asking how much everything in my bag was worth (the bag I take to the LGS to play) when we eyeballed everything it came out to a little less than 10 grand. She might have gotten a little pissed off I continually wander around with 10k in my backpack.

To be fair I carry legacy Jund and Doomsday, my 3 commander decks (half of which is the commanders arsenal) that are mostly foil, my standard Sidisi whip deck and my trade binder of standard and modern poo poo. All of my commander decks have every fetch and dual land/foil shock legal in them.

God I'm an idiot.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jabor posted:

Two-mans have always been 4 tix going in for one pack coming out. Any change in value there is due to packs becoming more or less valuable, not Wizards screwing around with the payouts.

Yes I am aware. I just mentioned that two mans are atrociously bad to play at the moment because the price of packs is at a pretty bad low.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Also Chaos Draft was fun. Got an 0/4 Ogre with infect and firebreathing. Also had Giant Growth and some creature you can pay 1RG to discard and give an attacker +5/4 for a turn. First time playing with infect and definitely caught some people off guard.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So today my wife watched my buddy and I playing cards... She started asking how much everything in my bag was worth (the bag I take to the LGS to play) when we eyeballed everything it came out to a little less than 10 grand. She might have gotten a little pissed off I continually wander around with 10k in my backpack.

To be fair I carry legacy Jund and Doomsday, my 3 commander decks (half of which is the commanders arsenal) that are mostly foil, my standard Sidisi whip deck and my trade binder of standard and modern poo poo. All of my commander decks have every fetch and dual land/foil shock legal in them.

God I'm an idiot.

My whole collection is between 10-15k and I keep it in a safe at home. It is in a pair of those 4 row cardboard boxes (so one person can carry the whole thing) and magic cards are so easy to flip and almost untraceable.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

God I'm an idiot.

If my wife asks how I acquired a foil Jace the Mind Sculptor, I just say "I traded for it." Which I guess is true, after a fashion.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tell her its why you bought a gun and see what she does

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Most of the time when I go out I will limit myself to one deck of each format, just so that if something were to happen I wouldn't be completely ruined. I doubt my collection is worth anything close to 10k though.

I did have one scare last year when my fiancée called and said our roommate had started a fire in our kitchen, and my cards are in a closet next to our kitchen, so my first instinct was "Oh God my entire collection just went up in smoke", but luckily the fire wasn't nearly big enough for that to be a possibility.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Dohaeris posted:

I have a forest and three mountains on the board, playing atarka red. I have three goblins on the board. Enemy is at 4 health and had a warden of the first tree with level 1 and a counter making him 4/4. They also have a siege rhino. I'm at 12 health or so.

Lightning strike in my hand, enemy has enough untapped to level the warden. Obviously not a good place for me to be, I decided to swing in with all. He upgraded the warden and blocked, I lightning strike it to kill it.

I ended up losing after drawing four more lands, but was that the right play? Siege rhino decks give me a lot of trouble. In retrospect I'm thinking maybe, knowing he had a lifelink guy ready, I save the strike and hopef or an atarka's command to kill him and prevent life gain or something, but I was hoping to draw a stoke or something. The biggest issue was just too many lands. And i'm only running 20!

At that stage of the game, you were pretty much dead, so playing to the hail mary out, i.e. try to stall and find an Atarka's Command, was probably the right play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rabidsquid posted:

Tell her its why you bought a gun and see what she does

Starting a black market with cards for guns sounds rad. :peanut:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

"Why yes, I would like to trade this flamethrower for your dark confidant, thank you... now you know, greatness comes at any cost!" :flame:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I was thinking about this the other day. If someone steals my bag, how screwed am I? I don't know the actual answer, but

Legacy RUG Delver
Most of Bant Stoneblade (no Tundra and it shares some cards with RUG)
Modern U Tron
Modern RUG almost completely foil
Modern Jund
Vintage Terra Nova almost all Russian /Chinese/Japanese (Mutavaults are Morningtide foil, Wastes and a few other cards are still English) minus BUG Moxes

Including: 3 foil Goyf, 3 Judge Bolt, foil WWK Jace, Promo and Russian foil Ugin, 2 Judge and 1 MMA foil Cliques, foil RAV Blood Crypt, Stomping Ground, and Overgrown Tomb.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out it's $20k worth of stuff with all the foils.

Which led me to the conclusion that I really need to get these stupid things insured. Does anyone know of a good company to do that? Allstate tells me they don't insure collectibles and the $1000 coverage I have isn't quite enough, especially considering I have a lot more cards at home.

Angry Grimace posted:

If my wife asks how I acquired a foil Jace the Mind Sculptor, I just say "I traded for it." Which I guess is true, after a fashion.

I traded for mine. I traded $300 cash, but that's still a trade. It was my Christmas present. :colbert:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

In the grim dark future, wars are decided by who has the chase rares.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
man I sure hope you guys have those decks insured.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

Most of the time when I go out I will limit myself to one deck of each format, just so that if something were to happen I wouldn't be completely ruined.

Unironically good thinking. I lost 3 standard decks to a water damage mishap the other day. Fob popped the trunk open in the rain.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is part of why I don't own a legacy deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Samael posted:

"Why yes, I would like to trade this flamethrower for your dark confidant, thank you... now you know, greatness comes at any cost!" :flame:

Trading anything for guns seems like a bad idea since the person getting the gun can just point the gun at the other party and ask for their part of the trade back.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Trading anything for guns seems like a bad idea since the person getting the gun can just point the gun at the other party and ask for their part of the trade back.

Are you speaking from experience

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah like anyone's that stupid. The ammo costs a Goyf.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are you speaking from experience

There is literally no way this is from experience.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

En Fuego posted:

I like to imagine Angry Grimace selling a fully loaded gun to some guy all by himself and then being victorian england-style shocked and offended when the buyer holds him up at gunpoint.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

En Fuego posted:

I actually know one person in TFR who would trade guns for cardboard. I have way better taste in guns than in cardboard but I have way more chances to play magic than shoot each week, even in Missouri.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Nathaniel Cardhoarder is currently 3-0 in the ongoing 9-round Standard MOCS with Collected Blue Devotion. The deck is incredibly sweet, as we saw on the Open last weekend. You can use Company to flip up Silumgar Sorcerer to counter their Siege Rhino, or just hit Shorecrasher and Thassa to basically have an online Thassa immediately at instant speed.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Which led me to the conclusion that I really need to get these stupid things insured. Does anyone know of a good company to do that? Allstate tells me they don't insure collectibles and the $1000 coverage I have isn't quite enough, especially considering I have a lot more cards at home.

It's a huge nightmare. Insurance companies have models of risk and stuff they can apply to other types of collectibles like baseball cards or classic comics but Magic cards are much tougher, prices are relatively volatile, plus you know, a key part of magic cards is getting to play with them so whatever comparable ways they have to determine rates/policies/whatever goes out the window once they realize you regularly take your thousands of dollars of collectibles out of the house to play games with them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Starting up a modern tournament in the spirit of Thunderdome, with a small twist: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3719092

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

One time I traded a 40k Ork army for a Fantasy Empire one, and the dude popped his trunk to get his minis out and there were like 3 handguns in there. I got the :stare: look on my face and he just said he was a self-defense instructor.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Rules question once again:

This one came up during kitchen table magic when I was playing some U/Artifect deck against a Simic and a Heroic deck. It involves Contagion Engine, Prolifirate and Counters. The problem we had was with the wording on Contagion Engine which explains Prolifirate. I played the Engine and put several -1/-1 counters on my opponents creatures, next turn I activated the Engine. The wording on Prolifirate:

You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there.

I argued that targetting their creatures with this ability was useless since it would also add another +1/+1 counter (the creatures were all evolved or had heroic triggers), they argued that you can choose which counters get added so that only the -1/-1 counters got prolifirated.

Who can help us out so our kitchen table magic group can return to the game and not devolve further into chaos?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

He just beat a guy on RDW without playing anything until turn 4.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

When you proliferate you choose ONE type of counter on each permanent with a counter already on it to increase, you do not increase all counters. HOWEVER, you do not have both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on permanent at the same time, if a creature has both types of counters at the same time, they are removed in pairs until only 1 type of counter remains.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

lockdar posted:

This one came up during kitchen table magic when I was playing some U/Artifect deck against a Simic and a Heroic deck. It involves Contagion Engine, Prolifirate and Counters. The problem we had was with the wording on Contagion Engine which explains Prolifirate. I played the Engine and put several -1/-1 counters on my opponents creatures, next turn I activated the Engine. The wording on Prolifirate:

You choose any number of permanents and/or players with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there.

I argued that targetting their creatures with this ability was useless since it would also add another +1/+1 counter (the creatures were all evolved or had heroic triggers), they argued that you can choose which counters get added so that only the -1/-1 counters got prolifirated.

Who can help us out so our kitchen table magic group can return to the game and not devolve further into chaos?
If a permanent has both +1/+1 and a -1/-1 counters on them then they are removed in equal quantity until only one type is left. This is probably a good place to start.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
Proliferate only puts on a single type of counter chosen by the player who controls the proliferate ability. See the gatherer rulings: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=212252

Edit: creatures can't have both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on them at the same time for more than a moment (they cancel each other out) so that particular scenario can't even happen. If they had +1/+1 and -0/-1 counters however, the player controlling Contagion Engine coils choose just the -0/-1 counters.

Soviet Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 9, 2015

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

lockdar posted:

When you Proliferate, you only put one counter on each chosen permanent. If there are multiple different types of counters already on a permanent, you choose which one you add.

But there's a more relevant rule you've all missed, which also resolves this particular situation - if there are both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on a creature, they cancel each other out, and you remove counters until there's only one type remaining. It's not generally possible to have both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on a creature when you're proliferating.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Boco_T posted:

Nathaniel Cardhoarder is currently 3-0 in the ongoing 9-round Standard MOCS with Collected Blue Devotion. The deck is incredibly sweet, as we saw on the Open last weekend. You can use Company to flip up Silumgar Sorcerer to counter their Siege Rhino, or just hit Shorecrasher and Thassa to basically have an online Thassa immediately at instant speed.

His wife walks in right when he starts losing a critical game 3 and he's obviously salty as gently caress. So awkward.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Jabor posted:

When you Proliferate, you only put one counter on each chosen permanent. If there are multiple different types of counters already on a permanent, you choose which one you add.

But there's a more relevant rule you've all missed, which also resolves this particular situation - if there are both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on a creature, they cancel each other out, and you remove counters until there's only one type remaining. It's not generally possible to have both +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters on a creature when you're proliferating.

It is possible, for example, if you're using Grim Affliction, to have both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter on something when you're proliferating.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Do other opposite counter types like +0/+1 and -0/-1 annihilate each other the way +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters do, or is that rule only for +1/+1 and -1/-1 counter pairs specifically?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Angry Grimace posted:

His wife walks in right when he starts losing a critical game 3 and he's obviously salty as gently caress. So awkward.

That was really awkward, he was on complete tilt after accidentally sacrificing a creature to an exploit trigger which sped up his loss G2 and then while he was waiting for G3 to start he gets a call from the police saying that they are towing his car as his wife parked in front of someone else's driveway.

He is in the dog house for sure - happy Mother's Day!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Anyone that plays Modern infect you should just be able to punch in the face without repercussion of any kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Anyone that plays Modern infect you should just be able to punch in the face without repercussion of any kind.

Anyone that complains about infect should play a deck with bolt, or path, or thoughtseize, or spellskite, or blockers, or the card that makes you not a baby.

• Locked thread