Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

njsykora posted:

I did the same, but wasn't using the shield more than once a match. I did notice people have gathered the charger is for backing your team up from a distance though, and rollers really weren't as common this time round. I also noticed rollers were rarely going around alone, they usually had a charger or gunner alongside to protect them.

Yeah as far as I can tell, the best team composition appears to be 2 rollers, 1 Splattershot (Jr), and a Sniper if the sniper is good and understands what their role is. Otherwise 2/2 or a Splattershot and a Jr. because the rollers need some kind of covering fire, they really can't take a Splattershot head on unless the shooter is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

Whoever suggested the paint roller is the best weapon does not understand the game (it's Splattershot Jr. because of the shield, hth)

Eh, I think the roller is pretty awesome because it makes a fun game like this accessible to people like me who aren't good at shooters. I mainly ran around painting stuff in a giddy spree and I still managed to get better than average kills at the end of each round.

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son
I was kicking rear end with the roller in the first session, second session people were killing me a lot easier. I went up against one 100% roller team and kicked their rear end.

Still couldn't do any good with the sniper rifle though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

oopsie rock posted:

Eh, I think the roller is pretty awesome because it makes a fun game like this accessible to people like me who aren't good at shooters. I mainly ran around painting stuff in a giddy spree and I still managed to get better than average kills at the end of each round.

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not "op".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think it says enough that we can't decide which weapon is most overpowered.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Eindyin posted:

I was kicking rear end with the roller in the first session, second session people were killing me a lot easier. I went up against one 100% roller team and kicked their rear end.

Me too, our team trapped them in spawn and kept them there almost the entire match. Final score was like 89 - 5.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not "op".

I'm crap at shooting so your OP gun is wasted on me when I use it. :shrug:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

njsykora posted:

After playing with all of them, I think they're all pretty evenly matched. Except the sniper, that thing is total poo poo.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

Whoever suggested the paint roller is the best weapon does not understand the game (it's Splattershot Jr. because of the shield, hth)

So I think in the release version you can choose whatever load out you want, so you could have roller with shield.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

njsykora posted:

We call that 'balance'.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Eindyin posted:

Still couldn't do any good with the sniper rifle though.
I ended up doing a lot better with it when I stopped thinking of it as a sniper rifle. Its more like a rocket launcher that lays down a huge column of paint, if you nail someone with it its a one hit kill but if you miss you still made a pretty nice firebreak that makes it harder for them to move around. Also if you spam uncharged shots its like a rapid fire version of the roller flick.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm pretty impressed with the lack of lag/disconnects or anything like that. Most of the players in my games seemed to be from Japan but everything ran flawlessly for me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

greatn posted:

So I think in the release version you can choose whatever load out you want, so you could have roller with shield.
I don't think you'll be able to build loadouts, the direct made it look like you buy the weapon/sub/special as a set. I curious if there's gonna be multiple sets per weapon though, the gear system looks weirdly RPG looty.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Well that was fun!

I ended up mostly sticking to the Roller, but figured out that you really don't want only Rollers on a team. The charge attack the Roller has in the demo was amazing too.

Not regretting my preorder.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Even when we got destroyed I still had a fun time playing and look forward to much paint splatting and squid inking in the future.

By the last two matches I was really getting to feel of using the paint to quickly run away and sneak around people. There were also a number of funny times when I would kill someone as they killed me, smushing each other with the paint roller is hilarious.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The most amazing thing about this is that it actually runs with little latency and I didn't experience one iota of lag. Nintendo is really stepping up their online game with this one, even if everything is coming piecemeal and there's not voicechat

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Definitely going to preload this as soon as possible, that hour was just too cool.

I loved all the weapons, really. I feel like the charges are going to have to take some time to work with and figure out, but I can tell already they're great for climbing somewhere quickly and splattering around from a hard to reach area. Of course you are basically painting a giant series of arrows pointing towards yourself if you're not careful.

I started to favor a strategy of pairing rollers with splattershot dudes, where the roller would paint the path and the splattershot would zip around him in squid form painting walls and covering the roller's rear end as necessary. It's definitely not just going to be all roller guys all the time in the long run, I am pretty sure.

Best feeling so far I think is rolling into abandoned enemy territory and taking the whole thing by yourself while your team defends another area.

I can not wait for the 29th, please life pass faster :f5:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

My experience wasn't as stellar, sadly. Just a bunch of "looking for partners", "failed to connect to partner" after a minute attempt. Rinse and repeat during one hour. I don't have the wired adapter people use for Smash Bros, but I got good signal to the router, so I'm left not knowing if it was a problem with the stress test beta, not enough teams around for me to join, or my router apparently being poo poo with this particular game.

I guess at least the tutorial was rather fun and I played a bunch of that squid jumping 2D thingy.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

greatn posted:

Even then you'd still be unable to kill anyone who can shoot and walk backwards at the same time. I'm actually really pleased with the weapon balance (as far as we've seen it).

Saoshyant posted:

My experience wasn't as stellar, sadly. Just a bunch of "looking for partners", "failed to connect to partner" after a minute attempt. Rinse and repeat during one hour. I don't have the wired adapter people use for Smash Bros, but I got good signal to the router, so I'm left not knowing if it was a problem with the stress test beta, not enough teams around for me to join, or my router apparently being poo poo with this particular game.

I got stuck looking for more players once, we were at 6/8 forever and the countdown just kept resetting itself. After ~5 minutes I just turned off my console since there's no other way to leave that screen.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 9, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Artix posted:

Yeah as far as I can tell, the best team composition appears to be 2 rollers, 1 Splattershot (Jr), and a Sniper if the sniper is good and understands what their role is. Otherwise 2/2 or a Splattershot and a Jr. because the rollers need some kind of covering fire, they really can't take a Splattershot head on unless the shooter is terrible.

If I'm a roller, and someone with a gun is coming for me, that's when I start hucking bombs at them. If that doesn't kill them, hopefully it at least panics them enough that they back off and you can slip away (and maybe circle around and get them from a different direction)

Eindyin
Mar 23, 2004

#1 Son

Saoshyant posted:

I guess at least the tutorial was rather fun and I played a bunch of that squid jumping 2D thingy.

I got stuck during the first test, kept searching then coming up with disconnected message. Restarted the game and it fixed it, but I had to do the tutorial again. Second session, it didn't happen at all. I was expecting way worse considering they were doing a stress test.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eindyin posted:

I got stuck during the first test, kept searching then coming up with disconnected message. Restarted the game and it fixed it, but I had to do the tutorial again. Second session, it didn't happen at all. I was expecting way worse considering they were doing a stress test.

Redoing the tutorial wasn't the fault of getting stuck. The demo saves nothing, so you have to redo (or just skip) the tutorial and create your character each time.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

When can I actually play this Splatoon thing? I tried during the play hours and kept getting a site maintenance message. Was looking forward to some squiddy acion

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calico Heart posted:

When can I actually play this Splatoon thing? I tried during the play hours and kept getting a site maintenance message. Was looking forward to some squiddy acion

Go to the eShop and it should have a banner for Splatoon with the demo times for your region. There's one final play session, and it's in about four hours.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

The site maintenance message is what turns up when you're not playing during the right hours. Are you sure you were playing at the right time?

Anyway the last one starts at 12 PM PST/3PM EST. A little less than 5 hours from now.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but Nintendo released their Financial Results Briefing a couple of days ago.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

I'm excited for the next hour of Splatoon time. I had a blast with the first hour, but I never tried the sniper rifle gun, so I think I'll give that a shot first and see if I like it. I was actually quite surprised to like the gyro aiming, too. It's a nice addition to the R stick, because it felt a little quicker for me, as I don't play many console based first person shooters, so having that really helped. It also helped to turn up the sensitivity a bit and use the splattershot junior.

I think I'm just gonna pre-order the drat game already. Now if only I could find the amiibos for it...

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Ugh, I missed this morning's Splatoon and I'll probably miss this afternoon's. :negative:

Does it seem like something that'll have some longevity, or does it seem like one of those things people will bore with pretty quickly and move away from?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They're slowing dripping out more content for it through the year so it should stay active for a good while.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zelda noticeably absent.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

oopsie rock posted:

Same here. I am not very good at FPS games, but I had a ton of fun trying to roll out as much paint as possible with the roller. And I usually was the highest scoring person too.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Sorry to post this again, but when's the next splatoon demo? I'm bad at math.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Sade posted:

Sorry to post this again, but when's the next splatoon demo? I'm bad at math.

3 Hours, 28 Minutes

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Wish I could get the game digitally and still get the Smash hats. Stupid Gamestop exclusives.

Maybe they'll release them later.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Echophonic posted:

Wish I could get the game digitally and still get the Smash hats. Stupid Gamestop exclusives.

Maybe they'll release them later.

They will.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Motto posted:

Zelda noticeably absent.

It's going to be a launch NX game that also appears on Wii U, like Twilight Princess did with Cube/Wii.

This is going to happen, stop pretending it isn't!!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Machine posted:

It's going to be a launch NX game that also appears on Wii U, like Twilight Princess did with Cube/Wii.

This is going to happen, stop pretending it isn't!!

Ok the taint reaper.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

there's one more of these at 3et today right?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

mabels big day posted:

Ok the taint reaper.

Wow, mods???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.