Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

nsaP posted:

That moviestar one has to be fairly recent too

A lot of riders have those because of foot/leg injuries that prevent them using the foot control easily - it was much more important in the two-stroke era because of much less engine braking, and also to modulate power on exit without laying off the throttle which could be harmful to the engine (the amount of lubrication the engine gets being entirely dependent on throttle opening of course).

To return to the original discussion, one very good reason for using the back brake on the road is that it's far less catastrophic to lose traction on the rear than the front - if you feel the back wheel lock up you know to back off *both* a little bit. This goes double in the wet, standard advice is 70/30 front/rear in the dry and 50/50 in the wet, although you can adjust those ratios a bit depending on your bike and skill level.

Giblet Plus! posted:

I've been working on making my upshifts smoother. What I've been doing is pre-loading the gear selector slightly, then quickly twisting my throttle wrist to close the throttle, then completely shifting as I engage and release the clutch and ease back on the throttle. The whole process goes really fast. I have smooth fast shifts like this maybe 90% of the time. I try to shift from 1st to 2nd above 8k because shifts are smoother at higher rpm.

What can I do, other than practice, to have smooth shifts all the time? The 10% where they are less smooth usually involves clunking sounds. Bike is a Ninja 300.

Don't worry about using the clutch, at that point you're clutchless shifting anyway. An hour or so practice should be all you need to get as smooth as you need to be for road riding - after a while you'll stop waiting for the gear to change and just know you only need to roll the throttle off x amount to make the shift, so you lose that jerk that you get as you wait for the gear to shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have no issues with clutchless shifting, but what do you guys do to 'train out' the wobble in the bike that hits on each shift? I'm staying pretty loose on the bars already so I think there's something else I need to do.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I use my rear brake pretty much only when I'm dragging it for slow speeds getting in a driveway or some poo poo. Probably depends on the quality of your front brake. If your fronts ain't that great you'll probably use both more often?

revmoo posted:

I have no issues with clutchless shifting, but what do you guys do to 'train out' the wobble in the bike that hits on each shift? I'm staying pretty loose on the bars already so I think there's something else I need to do.

Your bike wobbles when you shift? Are you sure you're not pulling in on the clutch too hard and physically moving the bars?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm referring to clutchless shifts. It's not a huge wobble, but it happens each time and I'd rather avoid upsetting the bike as much as possible.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

If it's what I'm thinking you're talking about, try shifting a little bit higher so it keeps momentum going. Shouldn't be any (noticeable) interruption to drive. If you're talking about on downshift, same goal really, shouldn't even feel the gear change.

e: I find if I'm thinking about it I have less tidy shifts than if I'm not thinking about it.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 5, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
No I can very smothly and extremely quickly clutchless shift, it's just that every time I do it the physical movement of shifting causes the bike to wobble. It's not a huge deal but something I'd like to train out if possible. This occurs if I shift at redline or if I short shift.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

revmoo posted:

No I can very smothly and extremely quickly clutchless shift, it's just that every time I do it the physical movement of shifting causes the bike to wobble. It's not a huge deal but something I'd like to train out if possible. This occurs if I shift at redline or if I short shift.

Is your entire leg moving when you shift, or is it just an ankle movement?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hmm that's a good question. In general I try and move only my ankle by levering it onto the shifter from the foot peg. I'll pay closer attention next time I ride. TBH I think the wobble is coming from my movements on the throttle vs the shifter, as I'm preloading the shifter before the actual shift.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That sounds kind of weird. You only need to roll off a small amount, enough to unload the box. And since you are already preloading the shift lever, it should just move its normal range. Is it a steering wobble or a back to front thing?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
If you're doing what i had done, you are yanking on the throttle too hard during clutchless shifts and pulling on the handlebars.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

nitrogen posted:

If you're doing what i had done, you are yanking on the throttle too hard during clutchless shifts and pulling on the handlebars.

I had that problem for awhile, until I did California Superbike School. Then I changed my body position but never adjusted my shifter, and had the issue of moving my whole leg instead of just my ankle.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't worry about using the clutch, at that point you're clutchless shifting anyway. An hour or so practice should be all you need to get as smooth as you need to be for road riding - after a while you'll stop waiting for the gear to change and just know you only need to roll the throttle off x amount to make the shift, so you lose that jerk that you get as you wait for the gear to shift.

Okay I'll try it. I have some sort of weird mental block against touching the shift lever without touching the clutch lever.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Giblet Plus! posted:

Okay I'll try it. I have some sort of weird mental block against touching the shift lever without touching the clutch lever.

I realized at some point in my riding that I would tap the clutch, even during clutchless upshifts, because it helped me internally with the timing. I just didn't actually pull it in to the point it disengaged anymore. Rather than just not touching the clutch, try pulling it in less and less - it'll help you discover the sweet spot for clutchless shifting with less damage to the transmission.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

revmoo posted:

I'm referring to clutchless shifts. It's not a huge wobble, but it happens each time and I'd rather avoid upsetting the bike as much as possible.

Try to go slow and talk to you bike. Let your bike know your intentions and then, slowly, ease into things. You want your bike to feel comfortable, supported, loved, and cared for. Maybe on the weekends you can draw a warm bath delicately sponge off the week's worth of troubles.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
When did you guys go from your beginner bikes to your more advanced bikes?

I'm starting to line up new bike choices for next year but I'm not sure if I should wait a little longer for more experience or if I am ready. It seems like going from small bikes to bigger ones there's a lot of stuff I'll have to re-learn (not being able to rip on the throttle willy nilly, having more discipline with the throttle in curves etc) Is that just stuff you slowly learn as you explore the bike or is it more something you learn by transitioning through smaller bikes?

For the record, I'm currently considering the FZ-09 or Ducati 848 Streetfighter.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Razzled posted:

I'm starting to line up new bike choices for next year but I'm not sure if I should wait a little longer for more experience or if I am ready. It seems like going from small bikes to bigger ones there's a lot of stuff I'll have to re-learn (not being able to rip on the throttle willy nilly, having more discipline with the throttle in curves etc) Is that just stuff you slowly learn as you explore the bike or is it more something you learn by transitioning through smaller bikes?

For the record, I'm currently considering the FZ-09 or Ducati 848 Streetfighter.

Just buy a better supermoto, problem solved.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

You can't learn to ride a big bike without riding a big bike.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

SaNChEzZ posted:

Just buy a better supermoto, problem solved.

I won't be selling the DRZ, it's slotted pretty handily into my "light adv and fun curves" bike. I'm looking for something a little bigger to function as a more commute oriented, farther distance riding bike. Also one that looks cool as gently caress. So I can floss it hard.

Hard.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Razzled posted:

I'm buying a bigger bike as soon as I have the cash. We started around the same time.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Street bike transmissions aren't designed to be shifted down without the clutch. Most dirtbikes are designed to be shifted in both directions without the clutch. That being said, I would only clutchless downshift a dirtbike on dirt because the lower traction allows the tire to skid easily without putting a bunch of load on the transmission. I find the fastest upshifting on a road bike is to put a little bit of load on the shifter then just fan/flick the clutch. It seems just as fast and a lot smoother than just flipping the lever up.

I think anytime you're preloading the shifter you're probably putting a bit more stress on the transmission. I wouldn't make a habit out of it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Razzled posted:

Took me a year on a drag bike style Vulcan 88 to switch up to a 1300 Vstar for better touring duty. Did 3 years on that before I got a Buell for even betterer touring duty.

Do not get a Streetfighter for "farther distance riding" if you are capable of feeling pain.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Razzled posted:

I did about a year/10k miles or so before I went from my SV650 to my VFR800. Feel like that was plenty of time to be comfortable enough on bikes to adjust quickly to the size of the bigger bike. Some of my friends spent a lot less time on their ninja 250s before immediately moving to giant BMWs and also haven't had any problem so you should be fine. I do agree with the people saying that a naked bike just doesn't seem like a great distance tourer, I've only ridden a DRZ400SM as far as naked bikes go but even with more power the wind at highway speeds for hours is going to be absurd compared to riding a faired bike. I guess you could stick a little windshield on it or something but if you really want to tour I'd get something that's at least vaguely built for that. Why not the FJ-09? It's still not huge and is probably the best sport touring bike under 500 pounds by an absurd amount.

If you don't actually care about touring and just want a bigger DRZ then the FZ-09 will probably be amazing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Anyone got that link about that study of denim being just as bad for road rash as nothing if not worse?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Anyone got that link about that study of denim being just as bad for road rash as nothing if not worse?

Not sure if this is the right one, but here a guy has typed up an old article from Cycle Magazine that compared denim and other stuff: http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/faqs/2809-abrasion-test-cycle-sept-1988-a.html

I've seen people referring to that one article lots of places online, but I guess there isn't an official online version of the article since it's from 1988.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Sometimes when I upshift (successfully) I don't hear/feel a "click" (but I almost certainly do hear it on the next upshift).

What is happening (or not happening) here, mechanically speaking?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You managed to mesh the gears pretty precisely as you shifted. They'll normally bang into each other a bit because the gearbox isn't synchronized.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

clutchpuck posted:

You managed to mesh the gears pretty precisely as you shifted. They'll normally bang into each other a bit because the gearbox isn't synchronized.

Gotcha.

But the click/clunk is so satisfying! :v: That and I'm a little paranoid because my first bike (GS500) would "pop out" of certain gears a couple times a week, because of what I thought was me not fully upshifting. I guess the shift forks just weren't perfect.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When something is listed as having XXmm diameter forks, which part of the fork is that actually measuring? The stanchion? The ID of the the stanchion? The OD of the upper/lower? Or what?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

When something is listed as having XXmm diameter forks, which part of the fork is that actually measuring? The stanchion? The ID of the the stanchion? The OD of the upper/lower? Or what?

Typically it's the diameter of the slider portion - ducati uses "43mm" forks on the 999, but they've got a clipon/triple tree clamping area of 53mm.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's what I assumed because I've seen a few USD bikes where the lower and upper triples are different diameters so it makes sense to measure them by the thing that does the same job and is the same shape regardless of configuration.

I'm not actually sure what the purpose of listing that spec even is, yet magazines/sites/advertising always make sure to mention it. They don't list the rear shock diameter, what difference does the fork diameter make? It isn't like bore x stroke or wheelbase or rake angle or whatever, which give you an idea of the bike's characteristics. It's just a completely arbitrary number that doesn't really indicate anything at all, as far as I can tell. You might as well list the gearbox output shaft diameter or the steering stem length or some other random poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

That's what I assumed because I've seen a few USD bikes where the lower and upper triples are different diameters so it makes sense to measure them by the thing that does the same job and is the same shape regardless of configuration.

I'm not actually sure what the purpose of listing that spec even is, yet magazines/sites/advertising always make sure to mention it. They don't list the rear shock diameter, what difference does the fork diameter make? It isn't like bore x stroke or wheelbase or rake angle or whatever, which give you an idea of the bike's characteristics. It's just a completely arbitrary number that doesn't really indicate anything at all, as far as I can tell. You might as well list the gearbox output shaft diameter or the steering stem length or some other random poo poo.

I have a funny feeling it was something that was a bit of a willy-waving competition between manufacturers back in the 80s.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It's sorta useful because it gives you an idea of how much the forks will resist flex. You know if you buy a dirt bike with weedy forks don't expect it to handle jumping all that well. Same with the lower spec ADV bikes/entry level sport bikes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
They're posted for those of us with fabrication tools to pillage parts and build bastard bikes in the garage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have a funny feeling it was something that was a bit of a willy-waving competition between manufacturers back in the 80s.

This is the impression I get, too.

Z3n posted:

It's sorta useful because it gives you an idea of how much the forks will resist flex. You know if you buy a dirt bike with weedy forks don't expect it to handle jumping all that well. Same with the lower spec ADV bikes/entry level sport bikes.

Dirt bikes I can't comment on, but I'm pretty sure fork diameter is insignificant compared to the things that make entry level bikes handle like poo poo, like spring rates and damping and geometry and tyres and so on and so forth. Like it seems like something you wouldn't ever even factor into your decision making matrix when it comes to buying a bike vs one of it's competitors, unless you're the kind of retard that wants all the biggest/smallest (select for more 'sport') numbers.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
As well as increasing the mechanical rigidity of the front end, fork diameter plays a big part in suspension capabilities too.
Every extra mm of fork diameter is a large proportional increase in surface area for the hydraulic/pneumatic systems in the forks. Say from 40 - 44 mm its a 21% increase in surface area, this slows pressure build up rates and allows for more finesse in damping and compression curves.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Uh anyone know where I can get a 150/80 r16 tire in or near Asheville NC? Cords are showing and I'm 500 miles from home.

All the shops I could find online are closed Sundays. And that's not a common tire size these days.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You can order it if nothing else. I've had orders from tire suppliers show up same-day via UPS before.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

It's a good suggestion. The tire I want is out of stock or I might have done that. Found one that will work (same ME 880 I have right now) an hour away so I borrowed a car and grabbed that. Now I just need to find someone to mount it first thing tomorrow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's the proper way of setting pilot screws? The Hyosung manual says to return them back to the position you found them but this is no help when the PO has hosed with them, and there's no spec for how many turns they need to be. clearances are good, carbs are synched. How are you meant to do it totally blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
No spec? Never heard of that. They're usually like 2 turns out, though. I think the official method is to turn them in until it starts making it run bad, then turn them out until it starts making it run bad in the other direction, then put it in the middle of those two places you found.