Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There's also multiple weather/time settings for each stage. You can set it to be snowing for every Monte Carlo stage I'm pretty sure. I haven't seen the whole windscreen smash yet though, I used to love the effect of the snow flooding in to the car in Dirt 3.

I can't wait for the Finland and Sweden expansions. The only other rally I'd like to see added back that they haven't confirmed is the safari rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

There's an option to have him read notes earlier in preferences!

It doesn't fix the really bad queuing of calls and the variability between way too early and way too late. If there was a way to make an interface where you could write your own pace notes and have them read at the points you determine, it would make the whole experience a lot smoother and more pleasant. That may be a bit involved for Codemasters, though.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
They just need to add coop racing to the game, one person drives and the other reads pace notes and after every stage they switch.

Seriously though this would be the best.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That with match making would be the most hilarious thing ever.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

There's an option to have him read notes earlier in preferences!

I've had that turned to early since day one.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

SealHammer posted:

It doesn't fix the really bad queuing of calls and the variability between way too early and way too late. If there was a way to make an interface where you could write your own pace notes and have them read at the points you determine, it would make the whole experience a lot smoother and more pleasant. That may be a bit involved for Codemasters, though.

you're talking about a company that couldn't be arsed to make it so you could have a preferred car number in F1 2014 when every GRID had that poo poo.

Though maybe that was due to licensing issues idk.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Today's daily features the official Worst Car in the Game™. I made the awful mistake of buying this car as my first 4WD car(I've since remedied with the Peugot), and boy let me tell you, it's a trash heap. Slow off the line, can't take turns worth a drat, and feels heavy as a boulder. I suppose in the real world it might work well for simply going through obstacles instead of around them, but in DiRT Rally, it's simply poo poo.

Still though, I at least had some experience with how awful this car was. Ended up near the top of Top Tier, I'm pretty pleased.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Holy poo poo the 250cc superkarts are the most skittish things I've ever driven in a game. I can't wait for goonkart.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Holy poo poo the 250cc superkarts are the most skittish things I've ever driven in a game. I can't wait for goonkart.

:getin:

we are unofficially officially using this mumble:
mumble.goonrathi.com 64738 password: mellon

We raced superkarts not two hours ago. make sure you join the steam group
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonracingclub

ethanol fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 9, 2015

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

quaunaut posted:

Today's daily features the official Worst Car in the Game™. I made the awful mistake of buying this car as my first 4WD car(I've since remedied with the Peugot), and boy let me tell you, it's a trash heap. Slow off the line, can't take turns worth a drat, and feels heavy as a boulder. I suppose in the real world it might work well for simply going through obstacles instead of around them, but in DiRT Rally, it's simply poo poo.

Still though, I at least had some experience with how awful this car was. Ended up near the top of Top Tier, I'm pretty pleased.

Which one is that?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Whiirrr posted:

Which one is that?

The Audi Sport quattro Rallye.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
It's really underpowered compared to the real group B cars they ran, in un-upgraded form.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

quaunaut posted:

quaunaut posted:

Mine has what I can only assume is a model bug that makes things more difficult.

I might like that car in Group B, but hell if I'm going to buy a car where my driver keeps a giant cardboard box in his lap the whole time.

I still did the daily :q:

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

ManicJason posted:

Mine has what I can only assume is a model bug that makes things more difficult.

I might like that car in Group B, but hell if I'm going to buy a car where my driver keeps a giant cardboard box in his lap the whole time.

No, that's the car's 2nd upgrade, it's actually space, literal space, in your car. It reduces the weight by 4 pounds

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

It would be nice if they gave us an option to run the Group B cars in the spec they used in the last 2 years or so, i.e. with 700+ hp instead of a meager ~400 or so. AFAIK all of the awesome videos of the Audi, which is obviously trash garbage in its current form, were from the point during which it had far more power

Edit: Here's the steam community thread for the black rectangle box bug, at the least throw a +1 in there so they know there's another victim out there heh http://steamcommunity.com/app/310560/discussions/1/613957600528133178/

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Just a warning: Professional tier is where you suddenly need to be able to go Maximum Attack on a course. You can gently caress up, but if you want to get a podium finish you better be taking 4s and 5s at 80+ mph, and 2s/3s at 60+.

At least, in Group B. The Peugot can do this, but gently caress it's really showing me how far I've got to go to actually be good at this poo poo. I'm close to falling speed though, so I'm having a hell of a time.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

quaunaut posted:

If the daily today was it fully upgraded something just doesn't add up because that felt a bit more sluggish than my partially upgraded Group A Lancia that's running 280 HP at ~2700 lbs when the Quattro claims 400 HP at ~2100 lbs. They've said the Custom Events don't have the upgrades on the car despite the UI showing the upgraded numbers so maybe they put the daily in today without upgrades and the UI still showed them?

If that is upgraded, it ought to get pretty much murdered by anything else Group B (and probably literally bugged) because the daily with the Metro and my mostly upgraded Peugeot both completely blow today's daily out of the water.

In related news: the Sport Quattro, according to Wikipedia, had 444 HP in the first version, the upgraded one produced 470 (official documents, but 500+ tested) HP, and the final ones produced pumped out 591 HP at the factory. Why does the in-game top out at 400 HP that was lower than any of the possible Sport options (and higher than the non-Sport options)?

Poking around Wikipedia also led me to looking at other Group B cars and apparently there were some even more ridiculous prototypes (possibly Group S before it was also cancelled when Group B was?) in the works like the Toyota 222D: "The race-ready car weighed around 750 kilograms (1,650 lb) and its [...] engine was reported to produce as much as 750 horsepower." :vince: I thought my Peugeot 205 currently 430 HP at ~2000 lbs was frightening. I suddenly kind of hope they eventually probe "what if" cars. Apparently Ferrari was also looking to get meaningfully into the rally game; what a different world rally racing would've been if not for the Group B tragedies causing it to be shut down.

ManicJason posted:

I'd hope so, it's easy credits. If you finish without getting a time penalty (and maintain a not completely atrocious pace), then you are pretty much guaranteed to be within the top tier.

Also, does that bug exist in both interior cameras? I don't use the camera lock setting (I assume you do since the hood cam is the best otherwise), but by the description it allows either cockpit or dash.

bUm fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 9, 2015

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

bUm posted:

If the daily today was it fully upgraded something just doesn't add up because that felt a bit more sluggish than my partially upgraded Group A Lancia that's running 280 HP at ~2700 lbs when the Quattro claims 400 HP at ~2100 lbs. They've said the Custom Events don't have the upgrades on the car despite the UI showing the upgraded numbers so maybe they put the daily in today without upgrades and the UI still showed them?

If that is upgraded, it ought to get pretty much murdered by anything else Group B (and probably literally bugged) because the daily with the Metro and my mostly upgraded Peugeot both completely blow today's daily out of the water.

In related news: the Sport Quattro, according to Wikipedia, had 444 HP in the first version, the upgraded one produced 470 (official documents, but 500+ tested) HP, and the final ones produced pumped out 591 HP at the factory. Why does the in-game top out at 400 HP that was lower than any of the possible Sport options (and higher than the non-Sport options)?

Poking around Wikipedia also led me to looking at other Group B cars and apparently there were some even more ridiculous prototypes (possibly Group S before it was also cancelled when Group B was?) in the works like the Toyota 222D: "The race-ready car weighed around 750 kilograms (1,650 lb) and its [...] engine was reported to produce as much as 750 horsepower." :vince: I thought my Peugeot 205 currently 430 HP at ~2000 lbs was frightening. I suddenly kind of hope they eventually probe "what if" cars. Apparently Ferrari was also looking to get meaningfully into the rally game; what a different world rally racing would've been if not for the Group B tragedies causing it to be shut down.

I don't know if it has upgrades, I just like making GBS threads on that car because that car is loving awful. I'm fairly sure I could beat it in the Mini Cooper S any day of the week. Hell, I should give it a shot and see what results. gently caress #ThatCar.

But yeah, holy poo poo that Toyota 222D. That's bullshit kinds of dangerous, I don't think you should be taking a Left 6 at 150mph like that thing would let you.

Frankly, I don't think any car is as fast as a Peugot, regardless of tier. None have felt as fast, or controlled as tightly. The thing treats dirt stages like it's on a track. I haven't gotten into tuning it yet either, I bet it could completely violate some times if tuned right.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I did some comparisons on the Group B cars before buying one in career mode, and holy crap the differences are big on tarmac. The MG and Ford oversteer like crazy, Lancia understeers equally much, Audi and Peugeot are roughly equal in handling but the Peugeot is much faster.

e: I am literally Jeremy Clarkson

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 9, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bUm posted:

Apparently Ferrari was also looking to get meaningfully into the rally game; what a different world rally racing would've been if not for the Group B tragedies causing it to be shut down.

IIRC the F40 came from the remains of that program. The 288 GTO was the homologation version of the intended Group B car, but it never raced so Enzo had it redeveloped in to an ultimate road car.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Modified 308s did show up here and there in the early days of group B though:

I'd love for Codemasters to go all out and make some more neat and obscure rally cars for us to drive, but I don't see that happening. I think Nissan is sorely underrepresented in rally games:

Safari Rally + Nissan Classics pack pls Codemasters.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 9, 2015

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Add me if you want to zoom around in rFactor 2 https://steamcommunity.com/id/cpn-ftw

All ISI content + Longford.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Jehde posted:

Modified 308s did show up here and there in the early days of group B though:

I'd love for Codemasters to go all out and make some more neat and obscure rally cars for us to drive, but I don't see that happening. I think Nissan is sorely underrepresented in rally games:

Safari Rally + Nissan Classics pack pls Codemasters.

YES!!! A safari pack with the celica and fairlady would be amazing.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Any idea on how I'm meant to get my steam and racenet accounts linked up? Really wanna crash into trees with you guys.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The account linking is kind of a crap shoot since their website is so bad. Try different browsers or using Hola for different regions, or just wait and try another day.

I finally got around to updating the AC mod list. Lots of car mods still don't have updates for 1.1, so I kept them and added instructions on how to update them. I added a couple new things too, including GutBomb's Syrup Canyon and that Countach mod to hold off until the official version.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I got my Steam and codies accounts to link on the first try after reading all the pissing and moaning about it in this thread, so, yeah, definitely very flaky

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

It worked first time for me, but only after letting my browser sit on the page and spin for almost five minutes.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Managed to link it and join the league, when's the next rally?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think our rally organizer got consumed by Project CARS. :negative:

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Jehde posted:

I think our rally organizer got consumed by Project CARS. :negative:

made you and a few others promoted in the league so you can make seasons and poo poo, also feel free to promote whoever is active and stuff :V

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
dirt rally tip: if you're about to go off an unrecoverable cliff, open the menu and select Recover Car. Unlike the hotkey this always works. Also, don't go off unrecoverable cliffs

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
So you don't get any extra money for coming in 3rd/2nd/1st in an overall championship in Dirt? I didn't seem to notice me getting anything extra for coming in 3rd overall.

Edit: /\ also just turn off the times in the hud, it gets really distracting and annoying watching the ai suddenly gain 10 seconds on you somehow.

Keket fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 12, 2015

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Christ, I only just did a 3 month iRacing resub forgetting PCars was due out, and then they spat Dirt Rally at me out of nowhere. Ive gone from not having sim raced in months to not having time to cover it all.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Box Hill Strangler posted:

Christ, I only just did a 3 month iRacing resub forgetting PCars was due out, and then they spat Dirt Rally at me out of nowhere. Ive gone from not having sim raced in months to not having time to cover it all.

Yeah...I let my iRacing sub run out. I miss ovals a bit, but Project Cars will get them eventually.

I need to try dirt rally, but I can wait for it to get out of early access.

Pretty addicted to Project Cars anyway.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Just echoing how much fun Dirt Rally is. I'm finally climbing the utterly brutal learning curve, which has been difficult since Colin McRae Rally 2 was the last rally game I played. So rewarding getting green for a sector!

I'm still struggling a bit with hairpins. After watching a few YouTube videos of good people playing this game it seems like the best strategy is to just take it super slow?

Also, is there any way to do the campaign but choose the difficulty or the particular championship to enter? After finishing one it just seems to present a new one with no option to choose a different location or anything.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm still struggling a bit with hairpins. After watching a few YouTube videos of good people playing this game it seems like the best strategy is to just take it super slow?

Slow, and the tiniest bit of handbrake just to kick out the tail a touch. Nothing like a drift or powerslide, just a slight kick to move the rear of the car around slightly faster. Basically just a tap on the handbrake.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Granite Octopus posted:

Also, is there any way to do the campaign but choose the difficulty or the particular championship to enter? After finishing one it just seems to present a new one with no option to choose a different location or anything.

Difficulty is set by how well you did in the last championship. It sounds like you completed one location and haven't yet done the other three. You can't do another championship until you either finish all three locations in the current one or reset it.

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it
I'm not much of a racing game guy, but for some reason Dirt Rally has me hooked and I thought I'd just chime in with some questions and observations. I've played a lot of arcade racers in the past but every time I try a sim, I play it for a couple of hours and give up. I remember trying Dirt 3 and thinking it was terrible. I saw a video of DR on Friday and immediately purchased it on the strength of the eye-candy alone. It's a beautiful game, especially when played from in the cockpit.

I'm now 20 hours in and up to Elite in career mode. I'm playing on 360 pad and now seriously considering a wheel setup to see if it helps improve times at all. I mean, I've made it to Elite, but I've only come first in a stage once (usually hover around 4th-10th place) and I've only had maybe three or four green sections total in my time playing so far. I've tried playing about with the pad and assist settings which has helped a little, but I can't seem to get over the hump as it were. That said, I've definitely felt my driving improve gradually.

I have to say though, I think unrecoverables are bullshit. Is this a standard thing in rally games? Sometimes it seems completely random as to whether I can recover the car (using the shortcut button; I know I can always use the menu option), whether it will automatically recover the car when I don't want it to, or if it will be unrecoverable. I guess in career it's not too bad as you can restart a stage, but I'm currently working through the monthly online challenge (24 stages) and I know that if I get an unrecoverable on stage 23, that's it. Done. Restart from the beginning. 3 hours of progress lost with no reward.

Definitely looking forward to more environments and challenges as they get added. It's already great value for money as early access.

I've joined Dirtygoons (same username) and also propping people up in the Giant Bomb league.

GarethIW fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 13, 2015

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Dear valued customer,

We are delaying the delivery of your CSW V2 base by another month.

Suck our dicks,
Fanatec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

GarethIW posted:

I'm not much of a racing game guy, but for some reason Dirt Rally has me hooked and I thought I'd just chime in with some questions and observations. I've played a lot of arcade racers in the past but every time I try a sim, I play it for a couple of hours and give up. I remember trying Dirt 3 and thinking it was terrible. I saw a video of DR on Friday and immediately purchased it on the strength of the eye-candy alone. It's a beautiful game, especially when played from in the cockpit.

I'm now 20 hours in and up to Elite in career mode. I'm playing on 360 pad and now seriously considering a wheel setup to see if it helps improve times at all. I mean, I've made it to Elite, but I've only come first in a stage once (usually hover around 4th-10th place) and I've only had maybe three or four green sections total in my time playing so far. I've tried playing about with the pad and assist settings which has helped a little, but I can't seem to get over the hump as it were. That said, I've definitely felt my driving improve gradually.

I have to say though, I think unrecoverables are bullshit. Is this a standard thing in rally games? Sometimes it seems completely random as to whether I can recover the car (using the shortcut button; I know I can always use the menu option), whether it will automatically recover the car when I don't want it to, or if it will be unrecoverable. I guess in career it's not too bad as you can restart a stage, but I'm currently working through the monthly online challenge (24 stages) and I know that if I get an unrecoverable on stage 23, that's it. Done. Restart from the beginning. 3 hours of progress lost with no reward.

Definitely looking forward to more environments and challenges as they get added. It's already great value for money as early access.

I've joined Dirtygoons (same username) and also propping people up in the Giant Bomb league.

Turn off your assists and get a thumbstick extension and you will go faster.

I'm only falling behind the top times by like 20 seconds at most on the dailies (and I assume they're wheelin'), so your gains with a wheel are not likely to be huge. If you want one, get one because it would make the game more fun to play.

Also, the M3 is a trash car that makes me imagine I'm drifting a yacht.

• Locked thread