Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

quote:

Funding period

May 10 2013 - Jun 9 2013 (30 days)

quote:

Estimated delivery: Oct 2013

quote:

The Deluxe Exalted 3rd Edition will take several months from the closing date to print and ship.

I love looking back at this. This schedule allowed NO TIME AT ALL to finish writing the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah, I recall at the time of the kickstarter it was implied that, while Exalted 3rd wasn't "done," it was certainly in the "rough draft or near-complete rough draft stage." The leak seems to have been a second draft or possibly a final from what people are saying.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Ferrinus posted:

Ah, but, DID third edition even have an official deadline, or was it always rough guesswork without formal obligation?

Nah, third edition never set a line-in-the-sand official deadline, and after the Kickstarter they've been pretty reluctant to even give soft deadlines. All deadlines I know of that emerged after the KS were just playtester or official forum-ite guesswork.

That said, the initial estimate was pretty laughably off.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
From what I understand, the initial estimate was looking roughly accurate (or at least "plus/minus a couple of months" accurate) right up until the writers decided to scrap almost everything and start over because of some core mechanic changes. If you dig back through the kickstarter posts you can see it happen right about where "the book is almost done" backpedals to repeated "chapter X is almost done" updates again.

That said, I have no idea why they decided to do that and then slavishly stick to Ex2 Charm formatting, Abilities, BP/XP scaling, etc.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

ErichZahn posted:

Leaks are serious business. The way they've handled the Ex3 leaks has been to actively ignore it, which is probably best. It also tamps down on discussion until release. That might even be a good thing! I don't know; they sure aren't going to tell us internal policy and plans, likely because some would interpret it as a promise and it hasn't been pinned down yet.

The problem with ignoring leaks is that sometimes you end up ignoring valid comments such as "What does this charm actually do?" or "So how does this work?" or "This charm is a really bad idea and here are reason X, Y, and Z why". This is especially bad when you decide to go with the charm writing style they've chosen.

Lord Pomposity
Apr 19, 2015

Ithle01 posted:

The problem with ignoring leaks is that sometimes you end up ignoring valid comments such as "What does this charm actually do?" or "So how does this work?" or "This charm is a really bad idea and here are reason X, Y, and Z why". This is especially bad when you decide to go with the charm writing style they've chosen.

Unfortunately, the writers have repeatedly proven themselves incapable of distinguishing between constructive criticism and personal attacks. More importantly, they believe that they have written some groundbreaking, revolutionary, game system. The suggestion that they've merely produced a game that is a lot of fun to play, but would be even better if it weren't saddled with so much unnecessary baggage from 2e, is more than enough to earn someone the "toxic" label and mark all their future opinions as baseless rants.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I think "groundbreaking" and "bogged down with legacy mechanics" are both accurate descriptors of Exalted 3e. I think the fact that both these things are true is the most concise illustration of the game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think "groundbreaking" and "bogged down with legacy mechanics" are both accurate descriptors of Exalted 3e. I think the fact that both these things are true is the most concise illustration of the game.
What about it is groundbreaking? I don't even mean that as a slur - I haven't gone digging through the leak due to a mixture of honesty and sloth, and what I've gathered is mostly that it involves Initative now, and is much smoother-running than 2E's system. These are not trivial achievements, but they're not going to revolutionize the industry (that would require a system that lets you adapt your favorite anime)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Nessus posted:

What about it is groundbreaking? I don't even mean that as a slur - I haven't gone digging through the leak due to a mixture of honesty and sloth, and what I've gathered is mostly that it involves Initative now, and is much smoother-running than 2E's system. These are not trivial achievements, but they're not going to revolutionize the industry (that would require a system that lets you adapt your favorite anime)

I've never seen anything like the withering/decisive combat engine in an RPG before.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nessus posted:

Totally groundbreaking: One of the devs played some Final Fantasy: Dissidia, did not stop to think about how the computer tracks the constantly changing numbers for you.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Attorney at Funk posted:

I've never seen anything like the withering/decisive combat engine in an RPG before.

The social influence system is also a lot of fun to use, as is (from my secondhand observations) collecting various tiers of craft points by doing odd jobs about town.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

theironjef posted:

Totally groundbreaking: One of the devs played some Final Fantasy: Dissidia, did not stop to think about how the computer tracks the constantly changing numbers for you.

I know goons like to keep saying this, but it isn't hard to keep track of your initiative if you aren't terminally ADHD.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

fool_of_sound posted:

I know goons like to keep saying this, but it isn't hard to keep track of your initiative if you aren't terminally ADHD.

I need to try a few combats and see. I remember being infuriated at 4e D&D for it's occasional initiative shenanigans, eventually leading to creating a visual aid magnetboard.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

fool_of_sound posted:

Agreed. I don't find it any harder to track initiative in 3e than tracking HP in D&D 4e or strain in Edge of the Empire. It's mildly more tricky than static initiative, but that's a really low bar.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

theironjef posted:

I need to try a few combats and see. I remember being infuriated at 4e D&D for it's occasional initiative shenanigans, eventually leading to creating a visual aid magnetboard.

Visual aids are a really good idea anyways. I mentioned this before, but a small whiteboard that acts as a score-keeper everyone can see is a really handy thing to have.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Bedlamdan posted:

Visual aids are a really good idea anyways. I mentioned this before, but a small whiteboard that acts as a score-keeper everyone can see is a really handy thing to have.

Or if you're not sitting at a table, a google spreadsheet. Bonus points because you can track motes and stuff on it anyway.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.

Transient People posted:

Or if you're not sitting at a table, a google spreadsheet. Bonus points because you can track motes and stuff on it anyway.

And current bonuses/penalties, and range bands, and everything else too. Every group should play most games with a white board or spreadsheet. It's almost always helpful, even in simple games.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I don't like how they gated high level artifacts off from mortal craftsmen by saying, well haw haw haw only solar exalted can get 69 successes on a single roll, after they invest all of their XP into 100 different charms, instead of just loving gating them. I don't see what advantage making mortal craftsmen theoretically able to make an artifact 5 if they roll all 10s on every die serves.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Nihnoz posted:

I don't like how they gated high level artifacts off from mortal craftsmen by saying, well haw haw haw only solar exalted can get 69 successes on a single roll, after they invest all of their XP into 100 different charms, instead of just loving gating them, I don't see what advantage making mortal craftsmen theoretically able to make an artifact 5 serves.

Don't try to understand anything about Craft.

That just leads to madness.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Hypothetically it's the same advantage that making a mortal swordsman hypothetically able to punch out Octavian serves, although I for one wouldn't mind the number of craft enhancers dropping by like 75 or 80 percent. If there were basically two major craft roll enhancer per dot of Essence that'd be optimal IMO. Or, uh, maybe one general one per dot of Essence, and one "specific" one that stacked with the general one but that you had to specifically devote to weapons, or to terraforming, or to vehicles, etc.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Visual AIDS is what I got when I saw the unformatted pdf with no bookmarks at first. Boomshakalaka!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nihnoz posted:

I don't like how they gated high level artifacts off from mortal craftsmen by saying, well haw haw haw only solar exalted can get 69 successes on a single roll, after they invest all of their XP into 100 different charms, instead of just loving gating them. I don't see what advantage making mortal craftsmen theoretically able to make an artifact 5 if they roll all 10s on every die serves.

I'd certainly rather have soft gating than hard limits like "Solars can make five dots, Sidereals and Alchemicals can make four, Lunars can make up to three as long as it's made of moonsilver and isn't designed to make life more pleasant."

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Nihnoz posted:

It lets you write more Crafts charms.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I'd certainly rather have soft gating than hard limits like "Solars can make five dots, Sidereals and Alchemicals can make four, Lunars can make up to three as long as it's made of moonsilver and isn't designed to make life more pleasant."
Was... was that ever the case?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Nessus posted:

No, although Solars did have much easier access to making high-end wonders before being several centuries old.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Nessus posted:

Don't know about Sidereals and Alchemicals, but that's definitely how it worked for Solars and Lunars. Solars got a Craft charm that lowered Ability prereqs for Artifacts by one across the board, purchasable twice. Lunars got a counterpart in Intelligence that gave them the same benefit, but only once, and only for Moonsilver artifacts. By default, you needed Craft 6 for 4-dot Artifacts, and Craft 7 for 5-dots, so these were the only way to do it before a character's hundredth birthday.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Don't know about Sidereals and Alchemicals, but that's definitely how it worked for Solars and Lunars. Solars got a Craft charm that lowered Ability prereqs for Artifacts by one across the board, purchasable twice. Lunars got a counterpart in Intelligence that gave them the same benefit, but only once, and only for Moonsilver artifacts. By default, you needed Craft 6 for 4-dot Artifacts, and Craft 7 for 5-dots, so these were the only way to do it before a character's hundredth birthday.
Well thank God that was there so Lunar players wouldn't get uppity and start demanding a vote in the Deliberative.

Rand Brittain posted:

No, although Solars did have much easier access to making high-end wonders before being several centuries old.
When you put it like that, it's less annoying, despite my personal prejudice against people wanting to play Girl Genius all the time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Game out yet?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Roadie posted:

That said, I have no idea why they decided to do that and then slavishly stick to Ex2 Charm formatting, Abilities, BP/XP scaling, etc.

Based on hearsay and some stuff Holden might have said sometime I don't know, the reason for this is thus:

a) Holden wants character generation to be fast and simple. Therefore, attributes and skills are levelled up at character generation with linear costs.
b) Holden wants character advancement to be a slow process, where each new dot feels like a greater accomplishment than the previous one. Therefore, attributes and skills are levelled up with quadratic costs.
c) Holden does not consider the potential XP-different between characters resulting from a linear/quadratic-discrepancy a problem great enough to outweigh the benefits of a and b.

(Personally, I feel that c outweighs all the proposed benefits. Intentionally creating situations where players can end up hundreds of XP behind others (to take a 2E example) is stupid because it creates situations that can be actively harmful to fun. Like this.)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

That it's somehow a matter of weighting and preference is just bullshit smokescreen, though. In reality, flat trait costs coupled with scaling training times and the bare fact of having limited XP already accomplishes B), and it'd drat well better since the most important kind of trait in the game is already flat-costed.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Also either he or hatewheel is clearly aware of how much of an issue the possible hundreds of XP gap is because one of the possible uses for Solar XP I've heard was giving free Solar EXP to the people who ended up behind due to bad Chargen to catch them up.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
BP+XP was aggravated by poo poo like Willpower being stupid cheap, right? I think the weaknesses of BP+XP can be limited if the gap between average and optimized characters is small.

I just hope there's no disincentive for taking skills at 2.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The major problem with BP+XP is BP's were flat cost and XP was exponential. So it made sense to hyper focus with BP and then round yourself out quickly and cheaply with XP in the first few sessions. That way you could match what someone did as a general spread and be around 200xp ahead in only a few sessions.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fans posted:

The major problem with BP+XP is BP's were flat cost and XP was exponential. So it made sense to hyper focus with BP and then round yourself out quickly and cheaply with XP in the first few sessions. That way you could match what someone did as a general spread and be around 200xp ahead in only a few sessions.
Yeah, this detail actually makes character creation more complicated if you ever consider how you're going to spend XP. (Don't forget that the non-BP resources you got were also flat cost.)

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

Based on hearsay and some stuff Holden might have said sometime I don't know, the reason for this is thus:

a) Holden wants character generation to be fast and simple. Therefore, attributes and skills are levelled up at character generation with linear costs.
b) Holden wants character advancement to be a slow process, where each new dot feels like a greater accomplishment than the previous one. Therefore, attributes and skills are levelled up with quadratic costs.
c) Holden does not consider the potential XP-different between characters resulting from a linear/quadratic-discrepancy a problem great enough to outweigh the benefits of a and b.

(Personally, I feel that c outweighs all the proposed benefits. Intentionally creating situations where players can end up hundreds of XP behind others (to take a 2E example) is stupid because it creates situations that can be actively harmful to fun. Like this.)

This is just a friendly reminder that Holden's counter argument to BP/XP balance was "I powergamed Nobilis once."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

That the problem with BP/XP split is a game balance problem, and therefore unsolvable in the same way that e.g. the balance between Archery and Brawl can never quite be gotten right, is among the most pernicious lies told in defense of that unimaginably stupid mechanic.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The Anathema crew's getting paid this time, right?

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 10, 2015

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Defending the 'feel' of quadratic advancement seems misplaced. It's not a hill I'd want to die on but I'm not sure anything XP related feels like an 'accomplishment' in an RPG. Buying nothing for dozens of games is not something I look forward to. In fact being the jerk who didn't max out BP at char gen is precisely what forces many characters to wait much longer for some advancement than others. The fact that this can cause someone with no familiarity with the system but lots of familiarity with math hours of agonizing analysis seems like it would break both points a and b.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

ErichZahn posted:

The Anathema crew's getting paid this time, right?

Nope! http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/474023-state-of-anathema-for-third-edition

quote:

Just to make it clear, Onyx Path is not responsible for our doings, errors or lapses, as we are not beholden to them. We did not ask for money, and will receive none. In fact, we - as a team - explictly decided not to make this a paid project, so we never had to discuss this with OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Mendrian posted:

Defending the 'feel' of quadratic advancement seems misplaced. It's not a hill I'd want to die on but I'm not sure anything XP related feels like an 'accomplishment' in an RPG. Buying nothing for dozens of games is not something I look forward to. In fact being the jerk who didn't max out BP at char gen is precisely what forces many characters to wait much longer for some advancement than others. The fact that this can cause someone with no familiarity with the system but lots of familiarity with math hours of agonizing analysis seems like it would break both points a and b.

The terrible irony is that training times already do this. Like, my character needs a literal four months to bring his Stamina from 3 to 4. Then he'll need 5 to bring his Stamina from 4 to 5, assuming constant training.

Meanwhile he earns experience points at a rate that's completely disconnected from both the flow of time and the his personal experience of struggle/education/leisure/whatever, since one session might encompass a single negotiation and fight while another session represents two weeks of getting projects done.

• Locked thread