Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Why can't I play those cards and punch you in the face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Why can't I play those cards and punch you in the face?

If you go to dome, you'll be missing my threats.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Now that all this boring modern crud has been revealed when are we getting Origins spoilers?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Stab posted:

It is possible, for example, if you're using Grim Affliction, to have both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter on something when you're proliferating.

That's only because Grim Affliction does both during resolution and only when state-based actions are checked do the counters cancel each other.

E: sort of clarifying for the person reading this, why it does this, that is.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Do other opposite counter types like +0/+1 and -0/-1 annihilate each other the way +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters do, or is that rule only for +1/+1 and -1/-1 counter pairs specifically?

Only +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters, which are the only kinds they use anymore. I don't think a stat-changing counter besides those has been printed and/or relevant since Wall of Roots, so it won't come up unless you engineer the situation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Almost a little sad to see mardu dragons so prolific today in the GP. I was hoping it was still going to be a little obscure going into the dallas open. :smith:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Went 3-1 with Junk "Aggro" at FNM.

Played against Mardu (2-0), GR midrange (0-2, g1 was to the wire, g2 had a two lander that never got there), Mardu (2-1, g1 Was a good back and forth game with me pulling a victory, g2 he destroyed me, G3 I destroyed him), and Ojutai Bant (2-0, but both games were awesome, interactive and really back and forth, ojutai's command is great). Switching back to "control" next week, match ups seem a lot more even.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So I just got out of a gptq. Only four people showed up and I was told the winner would get a box. After I signed up, I was told because there weren't enough sign ups they couldn't do a box. Okay understand but kinda lame since that's what you advertised.

But then a weird thing happened I don't understand. We only played two rounds. He gave everyone a buy for the first match, pairing us up against people who he added to the system, but weren't present, like people's girlfriends. That seems incredibly sketchy to me. Shouldn't I have just played the other three people? I may just be confused here but it seems weird. I won one game and lost the other. 2-0 and 1-2. Is this a normal thing people do? Apparently you have to have 6 people to fire a gptq but can you add people without their knowledge like that?

It just seems weird and I like being eligible for prize support and nothing is really hurt by those people getting signed up like that, but it seems weird. Am I being overly paranoid or something? The alternative I guess is its cancelled everyone go home?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yes that store can lose their ability to run sanctioned tournaments if Wizards is notified.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Dohaeris posted:

So I just got out of a gptq. Only four people showed up and I was told the winner would get a box. After I signed up, I was told because there weren't enough sign ups they couldn't do a box. Okay understand but kinda lame since that's what you advertised.

But then a weird thing happened I don't understand. We only played two rounds. He gave everyone a buy for the first match, pairing us up against people who he added to the system, but weren't present, like people's girlfriends. That seems incredibly sketchy to me. Shouldn't I have just played the other three people? I may just be confused here but it seems weird. I won one game and lost the other. 2-0 and 1-2. Is this a normal thing people do? Apparently you have to have 6 people to fire a gptq but can you add people without their knowledge like that?

It just seems weird and I like being eligible for prize support and nothing is really hurt by those people getting signed up like that, but it seems weird. Am I being overly paranoid or something? The alternative I guess is its cancelled everyone go home?

Did you attend a GPT or a PPTQ? I have no idea what a GPTQ is.

Also yeah you need a minimum amount of entrants to fire a sanctioned tournament. What the store did was sketchy but I've seen it before.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Ended up leaving with 25 in store credit which is what I paid to enter. So I didn't lose anything at least. Not sure the actual name, winner got byes for gp Vegas. Not a pptq.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah our FLGS will often add a phantom 8th player and drop them as soon as it starts to get the game to fire, but it's always at FNM and never at anything important and TBH it's much better than wasting the time to go to the store and not have it fire.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Yah it's technically not allowed, but I don't really see it as a big deal as long as the store isn't using it as a way to take advantage of Wizards supplied prizes, like funneling FNM promos to their regulars or something. I've known several stores to do it, and they've always checked with the people whose names they use to make sure they're okay with it.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Dohaeris posted:

The alternative is canceling the event and running a casual event in its place. I'm not 100% sure but I'm fairly certain that you need 8 people to fire a gpt given that you need 8 people to fire less serious stuff like FNM and game day. The store can get in decent trouble if a dissatisfied player snitches on them. The owner of my LGS wouldn't even let us register an employee who was willing to concede to his first round opponent and drop so we could fire a 7 man game day since there's apparently a local player who contacts WotC and has gotten a few stores in trouble.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Not having sufficient competition for GP byes is a seriously abusable thing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dohaeris posted:

The store broke Wizard's rules and if you don't like them you can get them in serious poo poo by reporting them for it. They didn't get the minimum 8 required for a sanctioned event so they falsified tournament entries to make it sanctionable.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Problem is I do like them and they're my only LGS that's not atrocious within an hour drive. It's weird and annoying but I don't want to sacrifice my only good spot to play. If that happens again I'll just drop and ask for my money back (Which i'd probably get in store credit...) because it just doesn't seem right to do that to people who aren't there or are aware it's happening. I know personally I'm kinda weird about stats and stuff like that, so I'd hate it to see a weird tournament show up on my stats that I didn't participate in.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

The store broke Wizard's rules and if you don't like them you can get them in serious poo poo by reporting them for it. They didn't get the minimum 8 required for a sanctioned event so they falsified tournament entries to make it sanctionable.

Their girlfriends should all get 6 month bans for agreeing to fix the outcome of their matches. :colbert:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yeah there's a big difference between phantom 8th player for FNM and four people getting entered and dropped without so much as their go-ahead to fire a tournament with GP byes as a prize. That's the kind of thing that gets your sanctioning taken away, full stop.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Here's a bizarre request:
I'd like to import my uncommons into Pucatrade. However, I really don't look forward to typing them all out by hand-- there are hundreds from the current Standard sets alone. Does anyone have a text file that is simply every uncommon from Khans or Theros blocks, one per line, with a number at the front? That would make my life a lot easier.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AceClown posted:

Now that all this boring modern crud has been revealed when are we getting Origins spoilers?

Never, Magic has been cancelled because Goblin Guide wasn't in MM2

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BXCX posted:

The alternative is canceling the event and running a casual event in its place. I'm not 100% sure but I'm fairly certain that you need 8 people to fire a gpt given that you need 8 people to fire less serious stuff like FNM and game day. The store can get in decent trouble if a dissatisfied player snitches on them. The owner of my LGS wouldn't even let us register an employee who was willing to concede to his first round opponent and drop so we could fire a 7 man game day since there's apparently a local player who contacts WotC and has gotten a few stores in trouble.

FNM can be casual events now. This happens at my LGS because it can never get 8 people there for standard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheLawinator posted:

Not having sufficient competition for GP byes is a seriously abusable thing.

Something like this is what got Bob Maher suspended back in the day.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Never, Magic has been cancelled because Goblin Guide wasn't in MM2

Red's not allowed to have nice things don't you know?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

lockdar posted:

I argued that targetting their creatures with this ability was useless since it would also add another +1/+1 counter (the creatures were all evolved or had heroic triggers), they argued that you can choose which counters get added so that only the -1/-1 counters got prolifirated.

No one seems to have dealt with this part of your question.
Heroic doesn't trigger from abilities, and it also doesn't trigger from things controlled by opponents. Also, proliferate doesn't target.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

I'm gonna double post because they're completely unrelated.

Is there a clinic or tutorial about control mirrors? They seem to be the most nuanced of the match ups in which I find myself, and no matter my game plan, I can't quite win without a substantial bit of help from luck in the form of poor opponent draws.

What do?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

End of Life Guy posted:

Is there a clinic or tutorial about control mirrors? They seem to be the most nuanced of the match ups in which I find myself, and no matter my game plan, I can't quite win without a substantial bit of help from luck in the form of poor opponent draws.

What do?

Someone on CFB recently wrote an article about the esper dragons mirror.

Count Bleck posted:

Red's not allowed to have nice things don't you know?

It makes me sick that Red is the only color that isn't playable in a mono colored deck in any format that is legal to play

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 10, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I... I wasn't being serious.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Anyone who would joke about red decks is a monster

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

End of Life Guy posted:

What do?

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-two-stages-of-the-control-mirror/

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

Someone on CFB recently wrote an article about the esper dragons mirror.

Thank you both. I'll sip this coconut rum and settle in with a nice read.
:goonsay:

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
paul cheon has also played esper dragons a ton on stream. Haumph on twitch, i think especially before the rptq, so a couple of weeks ago

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think Cuneo is doing pretty well at the GP

It's probably that part where he's an expert.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Zoness posted:

Yeah his deck also looks absolutely bonkers

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Zoness posted:

Having Arashin Foremost, Mastery of the Unseen, Big Ojutai and Pristine Skywise probably doesn't hurt.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Here's a bizarre request:
I'd like to import my uncommons into Pucatrade. However, I really don't look forward to typing them all out by hand-- there are hundreds from the current Standard sets alone. Does anyone have a text file that is simply every uncommon from Khans or Theros blocks, one per line, with a number at the front? That would make my life a lot easier.

You should be able to generate checklists of text from magiccards.info as a search option (rather than the image gallery) and it should be trivial from there to copy / paste into excel and edit it down to exactly what you need.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wezlar posted:

Yeah his deck also looks absolutely bonkers

I think he's the best deck builder in north america but I have a soft spot for the dude who literally invented draw go

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

rabidsquid posted:

I think he's the best deck builder in north america but I have a soft spot for the dude who literally invented draw go

I don't necessarily disagree but it's a limited gp

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Wezlar posted:

I don't necessarily disagree but it's a limited gp

I am just commenting that I like his deck building but I am glad this is the place for people to correct every possible thing constantly

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

I am just commenting that I like his deck building but I am glad this is the place for people to correct every possible thing constantly

Actually we're usually pretty cool about mistakes and don't nitpick every little meaningless detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

Actually we're usually pretty cool about mistakes and don't nitpick every little meaningless detail.

JUDGE!!

• Locked thread