Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BattleMaster posted:

Bad floppy drives - an indelible part of the Amiga experience

It is though? The results of it are, among other things, something many games relied on (they would have issues loading properly with normal speeds).

Like seriously the Amiga's problem is that it's a design very good for solving a particular problem at a particular time, namely good computer graphics especially on a TV in the mid-80s, and everything about how they implemented it severely hampered any attempts to keep it going an competitive as computer design evolved. The mismanagement didn't help of course, but perfect management would have had a very hard time keeping it going as well, absent a willingness to completely drop compatibility. The fact that the Amiga was designed a lot like a TV-focused console had a lot to do with that.

Part of why Apple was able to keep their own single-company computer architecture going albeit small was that the Mac's design actually allowed for relatively easy evolution of the design as things went on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Framemeister came, then I did.

I only have rgb from my genesis for now, but it looks obscenely good. Played though some urban strike.

I also hooked up my GameCube via component and holy crap I like the look of fzero gx with scanlines. I feel like I'm sitting in an AX cab.

For laughs I hooked up the cd-i and I'm actually starting to like the menu. It looks so quintessentially 90s.

I think I'm gonna play fzero until its time for the splatoon demo. 🎮🎮🐙

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

It is though? The results of it are, among other things, something many games relied on (they would have issues loading properly with normal speeds).

Like seriously the Amiga's problem is that it's a design very good for solving a particular problem at a particular time, namely good computer graphics especially on a TV in the mid-80s, and everything about how they implemented it severely hampered any attempts to keep it going an competitive as computer design evolved. The mismanagement didn't help of course, but perfect management would have had a very hard time keeping it going as well, absent a willingness to completely drop compatibility. The fact that the Amiga was designed a lot like a TV-focused console had a lot to do with that.

Something that a lot of people might not be aware of is that the major use for Amiga's in the US was a program called Video Toaster which was 1990's Adobe Premiere. Pretty much all computer generated images and graphics on television from about the mid-80's to the mid-90's were done on Amigas. The television show Babylon 5 used them for all of their special effects until they just couldn't maintain them anymore...

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

Something that a lot of people might not be aware of is that the major use for Amiga's in the US was a program called Video Toaster which was 1990's Adobe Premiere. Pretty much all computer generated images and graphics on television from about the mid-80's to the mid-90's were done on Amigas. The television show Babylon 5 used them for all of their special effects until they just couldn't maintain them anymore...

Also used for all the original game stuff in Nick Arcade!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Random Stranger posted:

Video Toaster was amazing. Probably the first and frankly the best video hardware/software solution in history. Things that required tons of money, hardware and normally post production work was able to be done cheaply and in real time in many cases. Interesting tidbit Dana Carvey's brother Brad was the lead Engineer at Newtek which is why Garth is wearing a Video Toaster shirt in Wayne's World.

Video Toaster mostly lives on with Newtek's Tricaster, which still beats the pants off of most hardware/software solutions.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Plus, like, there has always been something undeniably cool about the Amiga. It just always had a sort of underground vibe and the Amiga only magazines were always cool. Kind of like the Apple II but with less of a divide between the stuffy bland middle aged "true computer users" and the 14 year old hacker kids.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
One of the things Commodore rarely, if ever, hosed up was being able to put a great polish on the products and their advertising.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Random Stranger posted:

The thing that people might not realize about IBM-PC controllers (and I have to differentiate from just "PC controllers" given the time frame here) is that they were awful.

Let me take you back to 1981. International Business Machines decided that their PC's were exactly that: business machines. Entertainment was the furthest thing from their mind when they created the standards for their computer. So four colors were enough graphics, a one channel shrill beep was enough sound, and that thing was a good enough controller. It was an analogue joystick, presumably planning ahead for flight simulators, with two buttons. The stick was awful and throughout the 1980's sims were literally the only use of analogue sticks.
That's not a bad joystick. It's functionally equivalent to the TRS-80 `Deluxe' joystick:

And if you're wondering what makes that piece of poo poo Deluxe, it's because this was the other TRS-80 joystick:

What you can't tell from the photo is that in addition to being tiny, uncomfortable, having a shaft that's nothing but bare metal, and button placement that suggests that it was designed by someone who didn't really understand what a joystick is for, is that the things don't even auto-center. That's a lovely controler.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I may have already posted this but here it is again: some Japanese homebrew dudes are working on a Gradius port for the Mark III/Master System:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo4MbThsk_0

This isn't a MSX hackjob like some of those Gam*Boy games, it's a full, original reproduction.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

SubG posted:

And if you're wondering what makes that piece of poo poo Deluxe, it's because this was the other TRS-80 joystick:

What you can't tell from the photo is that in addition to being tiny, uncomfortable, having a shaft that's nothing but bare metal, and button placement that suggests that it was designed by someone who didn't really understand what a joystick is for, is that the things don't even auto-center. That's a lovely controler.

These work with the joystick ports on a Tandy 1000 too. I know this because I had a T1000 TX and a pair of these - and they are as useless as you describe. Spent most of their existence buried in the bottom of a drawer.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SubG posted:

That's not a bad joystick. It's functionally equivalent to the TRS-80 `Deluxe' joystick:

I had one like these for my Apple II as well but it had two buttons

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

I had one like these for my Apple II as well but it had two buttons

There are two buttons on the IBM stick, the other one is on the back.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I wish Commodore managed themselves better because the Amiga platform didn't deserve to die the death that it did.

Why not? Amiga games were good but the OS and computers were a total mess. Very unpleasant to actually try and get actual work done on an Amiga, unless you worked in certain very specific industries. I love them as games machines as much as anyone but honestly their one successful product was the A500 and that was because it was a good game machine. The A500 platform had a good life, as long as any 8 or 16 bit console we talk about here. The problem is they kept trying to make serious computers after that when nobody but crazy people wanted to touch their computers, and their game machine the CD32 was based on AGA which was technically poo poo and way behind its contemporary systems, whereas OCS/ECS for a long time was technically amazing.

Amiga as a whole was kinda lame, they had one amazing product but I don't think they deserve to still be around for making one good thing and a pile of bad things

e: I like to say that the real successor to the A500/2000 is the 386 or 486 PC, that's where all those great Amiga devs went. All that's left is the Amiga as a computer/os and who on earth would want that experience to come back

d0s fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 9, 2015

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the people behind Retro magazine, Kickstartered a while back, are intending to make and launch (with a Kickstarter) a Retro console, its main claim to fame being no-bullshit plug-and-play cartridges. Other fun things include that, in order to cut costs, they are using the ancient dentist trick of "reusing Atari Jaguar's design".

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/08/this-is-how-you-make-a-new-cartridge-based-retro-video-game-console/

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Godspeed for when this inevitably becomes a Linux / Android system where the games run on flash drives in flashy shells.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Harlock posted:

Godspeed for when this inevitably becomes a Linux / Android system where the games run on flash drives in flashy shells.

It sounds like that's exactly what they're going for, actually.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

As someone who owns a loving GP32, GP2X, GP2X Wiz, and a Pandora (ask me about terrible life choices), I don't see the point of this. At all. But godspeed, I guess.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

What a weird concept. It could work and it would probably be relatively cheap to create, but that means $10 to $15 million dollars and a good professional design team to build it. It smells like another Ouya.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I actually liked my Pandora, and would love to see an updated thing in that form factor with an updated SoC on par with modern phones.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Is this just more emulation? Or are people actually going to create games for it? (Or just a boat load of ports)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It seems like an OUYA with makeshift carts. It's gonna be emulation and some indie ports. But it's all about the retro! Or something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Is this just more emulation? Or are people actually going to create games for it? (Or just a boat load of ports)

It's not an emulation machine; though it's destined to be one if it ever gets made, of course.. The idea is that it's a console built like a basic PC that games can be ported to. The games they're pursuing seem to be the retro inspired indie stuff that's a dime a dozen (they cite the good Shovel Knight and the bad Retro City Rampage as games they want to make carts for). It seems like they want to make it mainly because they want carts, with no thinking past that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Yeah, like, this seems really dumb. People don't like cartridges because "CARTS! YAY!", and selling a console based on mostly that is going to be a very hard sell. The "preserving the retro feel" point is also a really weird one. Yes, boxes and illustrated manuals are neat, but I'm not going to buy a console just to get a cartridge for Retro City Rampage or Shovel Knight. Pretty sure I also don't need cartridges for these games to preserve them - I have way too little distrust in compatibility with virtual machines than would be necessary to consider locking everything up in a closed system with no room for deviation the primary method for preservation.

Plus, there's the ever present question of "killer apps" - as far as I can tell, this will offer me nothing that I can't already have on my PC, so I question how this is going to expand beyond a very niche market. This seems doomed from the start.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If I ever made a retro game there would be a special edition with an cart-style design that unhinges to reveal a thumb drive you slide into your computer. You can have your color manual, box, fake sticker, cartridge, etc. and still play the game on a platform that everyone owns instead of a subpar Linux/Android machine.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I can hook a usb flashdrive and a controller up to my PC which is the reason I haven't purchased a console since the ps2. Because modern consoles are just trying to be the PC. Not to mention almost any big game these days is multiplatform. Maybe you could argue somewhat in Nintendo's favor here, but meh. If it's just going to boil down to emulation, or shovelware on carts for the sake of it, what's the point? It's great that in this day and age huge amounts of data could be stored on a cart. It's just that the internet exists, and it's not slow and it's in almost every home.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
The only thing I think is interesting is that they proposed including a FPGA. If games can access that it will be a decent demoscene platform at least.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grapeshot posted:

The only thing I think is interesting is that they proposed including a FPGA. If games can access that it will be a decent demoscene platform at least.

That's be the opposite of demoscene stuff though. The appeal comes in doing everything you can with software, usually against hardware restrictions.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, like, this seems really dumb. People don't like cartridges because "CARTS! YAY!", and selling a console based on mostly that is going to be a very hard sell. The "preserving the retro feel" point is also a really weird one. Yes, boxes and illustrated manuals are neat, but I'm not going to buy a console just to get a cartridge for Retro City Rampage or Shovel Knight. Pretty sure I also don't need cartridges for these games to preserve them - I have way too little distrust in compatibility with virtual machines than would be necessary to consider locking everything up in a closed system with no room for deviation the primary method for preservation.

Plus, there's the ever present question of "killer apps" - as far as I can tell, this will offer me nothing that I can't already have on my PC, so I question how this is going to expand beyond a very niche market. This seems doomed from the start.

Well, the Retro City Rampage guy managed to get his game out in physical form on both PS4 and Vita, and pointed out that Sony was pretty on-board with helping him get that accomplished.

If this announcement had come a month or two later I would swear it was an idea inspired by the P.T. shenanigans (nuked from orbit in NA and can't even be redownloaded, will probably follow suit in EU and Asian territories but so far it's still redownloadable for previous claimants), basically this idea that having the game in physical form guarantees functionality (which, to be fair, he may have a point that cart-based systems will likely outlive many optical- and digital download-based systems). Although, again, certain providers like GOG, Steam and Sony have been pretty good about lifespan; a good chunk of PS1 games can be digitally purchased and every PS3 will play pretty much the complete physical PS1 library.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

al-azad posted:

If I ever made a retro game there would be a special edition with an cart-style design that unhinges to reveal a thumb drive you slide into your computer. You can have your color manual, box, fake sticker, cartridge, etc. and still play the game on a platform that everyone owns instead of a subpar Linux/Android machine.

There's a couple of kickstarters that are doing exactly that, most recently would be Yooka-Laylee offering the game on an N64 shaped flash drive.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The whole thing reeks of cheaply done, half-baked bullshit that is based less in considered development, and more from a "Wouldn't it be cool if we could duct tape a bunch of poo poo together and have a RETRO console? With CARTS?" mindset. Video games have always been a "tail wagging the dog" kind of thing. You don't sell unless you've got games people want, and all the hardware gimmicks in the world won't change that. Especially not in this day and age, when hardware is ubiquitous, powerful, and much cheaper than it has been in the past.

If they really want retro, they'd be much better served putting their time and resources towards satisfactorily cloning the old systems, or making development for them easier, or going into publishing and support for people doing development for the NES, SNES, Genesis, and so forth. All that plastic and those circuit boards are just going to be e-waste for no good purpose, especially if it's just going to be some kind of Android-based yawnfest with a dumb gimmick in the end.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

People like hording stuff. Now I'm imagining some sort of crazy survivalist living in an underground bunker with piles of cartridges, optical media, vinyl records, and other forms of physical media because they think some of apocalypse that kills the internet is going to happen. :tinfoil:

Incidentally living in an underground bunker filled with retrogames would be :krad:.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 9, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

univbee posted:

Well, the Retro City Rampage guy managed to get his game out in physical form on both PS4 and Vita, and pointed out that Sony was pretty on-board with helping him get that accomplished.

If this announcement had come a month or two later I would swear it was an idea inspired by the P.T. shenanigans (nuked from orbit in NA and can't even be redownloaded, will probably follow suit in EU and Asian territories but so far it's still redownloadable for previous claimants), basically this idea that having the game in physical form guarantees functionality (which, to be fair, he may have a point that cart-based systems will likely outlive many optical- and digital download-based systems). Although, again, certain providers like GOG, Steam and Sony have been pretty good about lifespan; a good chunk of PS1 games can be digitally purchased and every PS3 will play pretty much the complete physical PS1 library.

The thing with the PS4/Vita is that that is already an established system with exclusives and all that jazz, so you can see the reasoning behind going for a full release with them - they've already got the infrastructure and following in place that shows that physical releases work for them (and even then they're being phased out). This, on the other hand, is basically starting from nothing and is going to build a clientele based on... ports?

And yeah, the idea of games being preserved has been pervading at least the enthusiasts for a while now - between dedicated archival groups, digital marketplaces going strong like GOG and Steam and of course piracy, games fading out of existence are very rare nowadays - at least the ones notable enough to have a shot on being put on such a system.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Kickstart my idea of a console. It's called the "Misguided", a pure retro console built on today's hardware with makeshift shells around SD cards for carts and no games. How cool is that!? For $200 you too can have a Misguided, a collector's item, each labeled with their unique manufacturing number. Or something. We don't really know how manufacturing hardware works, but we'll figure it out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

Kickstart my idea of a console. It's called the "Misguided", a pure retro console built on today's hardware with makeshift shells around SD cards for carts and no games. How cool is that!? For $200 you too can have a Misguided, a collector's item, each labeled with their unique manufacturing number. Or something. We don't really know how manufacturing hardware works, but we'll figure it out.

You forgot to add "hand delivered by a uniformed federal agent". :v:

i.e. a mail man, old scammy magazine ads would use it as a selling point

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

univbee posted:

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the people behind Retro magazine, Kickstartered a while back, are intending to make and launch (with a Kickstarter) a Retro console, its main claim to fame being no-bullshit plug-and-play cartridges. Other fun things include that, in order to cut costs, they are using the ancient dentist trick of "reusing Atari Jaguar's design".

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/08/this-is-how-you-make-a-new-cartridge-based-retro-video-game-console/

The Atari Jaguar shell is probably more fitting for this thing than the creators realize. What a stupid, pointless idea.

That said I'd love for there to be a new real game system that uses carts.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cubey posted:

That said I'd love for there to be a new real game system that uses carts.

:confused:

It's even got "new" in the name. And SNES colored buttons. And plays everything from 2005 to 2015 and beyond.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Is this the first draft of the Vita reveal, before they came up with the brilliant idea of using expensive proprietary cards instead of SD ones?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Saoshyant posted:

:confused:

It's even got "new" in the name. And SNES colored buttons. And plays everything from 2005 to 2015 and beyond.

Handhelds do not count :colbert:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That interview is pretty gold too. It's probably easier to build a PS4 than this "retro system without a well thought out execution." But only 2D 16 bit retro games please. No 3D indies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cubey posted:

Handhelds do not count :colbert:

PSTV.

• Locked thread