Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

At least Galaxy is better than Steam was when it first launched. I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve as Steam did. It's about time competition came around. (GOG 4 lyfe)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Comte, I hope your marketing department managed to get

"Witcher Wild Hunt [..] is the best thing that ever happened to me in my whole life.
- Conan O'Brien"

onto the retail box before going to print.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

The keyboard control setup is a bit weird (shift + lmb for heavy attack?), I think I will do some rebinding. Consumables to extra mouse buttons, heavy attack RMB, E for parry, F to interact, something like that.

Does the distinction between "select sign" and "cast sign" imply that we can't immediately cast a sign by pressing the corresponding hotkey? If so, it'll make my choice of platform easier (the only reason I'm considering playing on my aging PC instead of my PS4 is voice controlled signs, and that's not possible if hotkeys won't instantly cast the signs in question).

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm also not jazzed that dodge & roll are mapped to separate buttons. These controls look concerning.

No, that's good. Dodge and roll are now separate actions in the game, and they have separate buttons. We have lots of buttons in keyboards, it isn't a problem.

Akul
Aug 29, 2012

Daric posted:

In Witcher 2 act 3 How do I get that ancient sword that someone mentioned was under the city? The Witcher wiki is pretty terrible

You probably mean the silver sword http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Addan_Deith which can be obtained while doing the Gargoyle Contract quest, in which you go to three rune rooms and extinguish runes in the correct order. There are six possible rooms with different runes and order of extinguishing. Bras of Ban Ard sells Runes of Power books which can be used to decipher the poems in these rune rooms and unveil the correct order. You could also just use http://witcher.gamepedia.com/Rune_rooms, look at the which poem is in the room and extinguish the runes in the order they appear on this page.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

At least Galaxy is better than Steam was when it first launched. I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve as Steam did. It's about time competition came around. (GOG 4 lyfe)

I mean, because they're products doing similar services, you kinda gotta compare them to what they're doing now. If Toyota were to release a car that ran slightly better than a Model T I don't think people would be saying, "well, it IS better than the first mass produced car, so that means it's pretty good."

(I try to park car analogies whenever possible in a discussion)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

No, that's good. Dodge and roll are now separate actions in the game, and they have separate buttons. We have lots of buttons in keyboards, it isn't a problem.

I dunno, I'd rather dodge be SPACE and roll be (hold) SPACE.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Drifter posted:

Except AMD is flawed in that respect. Driver support and program compatibility is literally superior with regard to Nvidia.

Hasn't been true for years but sure whatever. :thumbsup:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Anti-Hero posted:

I can see how that would be good, but I can also see how that would be bad. I don't really trust myself to be able to tell just by looking at the manual how well that would control vs. the way it is now.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Just feels awkward to have two different rolls on a keyboard. I feel like jump should be something done out of combat, rolling done in combat but not locked on and dodging in combat with the lock-on. Kind of how Bloodborne does it. Just seems needlessly convoluted, just because you have all the keyboard keys to assign all kinds of poo poo doesn't mean you should, especially in a character action game. I'm going to have to disable my Windows key for this game. I foresee mashing into it while trying to dodge.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I just don't want to do a long rear end roll-dodge instead of a quick short distance pirouette, or vice versa, while I'm playing. Making them the same button seems like it would be easy to do that. They're two entirely different kind of dodges, not just a dodge.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Just feels awkward to have two different rolls on a keyboard. I feel like jump should be something done out of combat, rolling done in combat but not locked on and dodging in combat with the lock-on. Kind of how Bloodborne does it. Just seems needlessly convoluted, just because you have all the keyboard keys to assign all kinds of poo poo doesn't mean you should, especially in a character action game. I'm going to have to disable my Windows key for this game. I foresee mashing into it while trying to dodge.

Or just rebind it to an additional mouse button.

The Sharmat posted:

I just don't want to do a long rear end roll-dodge instead of a quick short distance pirouette, or vice versa, while I'm playing. Making them the same button seems like it would be easy to do that. They're two entirely different kind of dodges, not just a dodge.

I don't think it would be possible to mix up a quick tap of space and holding space.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

I can see that, but I imagine myself failing a few times doing a roll when I just wanted a normal dodge. Two keys solve the problem for good.

Jimbot posted:

Just feels awkward to have two different rolls on a keyboard. I feel like jump should be something done out of combat, rolling done in combat but not locked on and dodging in combat with the lock-on. .

So I can't dodge without having to lock someone before? Ugh, bad idea. In Witcher 2 (and 3, from what I've seen), you mostly use the "soft" auto-lock, not the real lock-on.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Are both actually used in practice? Are they useful for different situations? It seems very possible to me that either dodge or roll will be superior, and most people will end up using one of the two almost exclusively.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Shakugan posted:

Are both actually used in practice? Are they useful for different situations? It seems very possible to me that either dodge or roll will be superior, and most people will end up using one of the two almost exclusively.

From the videos, looks like you can quickly sidestep an attack to open up an enemy with the dodge.
Don't think I've seen the roll but it'll probably be useful to get out of the way of big attacks or put some space between you and hordes of enemies.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
The day one patch on PC is required according to the manual, this will affect people with a lovely Internet connection.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62017531/Manual.pdf

quote:

An Internet connection is required when launching The WitcherŽ 3: Wild Hunt for the first
time.
The game will automatically download the release day patch. Once the patch is installed,
the game no longer requires an Internet connection and can be launched offline.

The GOG page says this though.

quote:

No activation or online connection required to play.

I suppose technically they are correct, that you don't need a connection while you are playing, but you need one to launch the game for the first time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They might as well ditch that, surely? IIRC it was to prevent leaks and the game is already leaked.

Shakugan posted:

Only citizens of the United Arab Emirates can actually answer that. Anything else is just speculation.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Seems a bit of bullshit to me that the company running the "No DRM service" requires an internet connection to launch the game to counter piracy. They are basically saying "No DRM on GOG... except for with our game".

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anyone else run into an issue on 360 with Geralt being immune to damge in the witcher 2 act 3 dragon fight?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Shakugan posted:

Seems a bit of bullshit to me that the company running the "No DRM service" requires an internet connection to launch the game to counter piracy. They are basically saying "No DRM on GOG... except for with our game".

I thought they said this was just for a certain window after release, and that later on it would be unnecessary.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shakugan posted:

Well, I mean, if it's a one time thing, and you gotta be online anyway to get it, it's not that big a deal. I'm sure they'll patch out that registration after a time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Are the guys that broke the street date able to get this file and play anyway somehow?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

The Sharmat posted:

Are the guys that broke the street date able to get this file and play anyway somehow?

Well the street date copies are mostly PS4 and XBone so they can just throw it into the console and play it. The day 1 patch may already be up on Microsoft and Sony's servers as well (kind of like how bloodborne's day 1 patch was up a week before release)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shakugan posted:

Hey less bugs are okay in my book

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yaos posted:

The day one patch on PC is required according to the manual, this will affect people with a lovely Internet connection.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62017531/Manual.pdf

The GOG page says this though.

I suppose technically they are correct, that you don't need a connection while you are playing, but you need one to launch the game for the first time.

If you're playing on PC, you're almost definitely downloading the (much, much bigger) game itself though.

Unless you have a download cap or something this will affect almost nobody.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Drifter posted:

Well, I mean, if it's a one time thing, and you gotta be online anyway to get it, it's not that big a deal. I'm sure they'll patch out that registration after a time.

Sure, but to get that patch you'll probably need a registered copy of the game (which will have required you to check in online beforehand). As for store copies, they may patch it out of future prints, but the copies of the game that are going around now that require the connection will be around for a fair while, so...

Regardless of how reasonable (or unreasonable) the need for it is, it IS DRM from the company that profits of a game service (only on their own game) that uses "NO DRM" as its primary selling point. It's especially ridiculous, since CDPR have gone on record a number of times talking about how how awful DRM is, and how Witcher 3 would never have DRM etc.

Now that they have a game on their hands that's looking like it may sell a lot, they've moved the goalposts to claim that online internet activation isn't DRM, because of course it is. I don't think online activation just the once is particularly invasive (because I honestly can't imagine anyone who has a rig capable of running Witcher 3 not having an internet connection), but it does point to CDPR being a little full of poo poo.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 9, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shakugan posted:

Sure, but to get that patch you'll probably need a registered copy of the game (which will have required you to check in online beforehand). As for store copies, they may patch it out of future prints, but the copies of the game that are going around now that require the connection will be around for a fair while, so...

Regardless of how reasonable (or unreasonable) the need for it is, it IS DRM from the company that profits of a game service (only on their own game) that uses "NO DRM" as its primary selling point.
Let's just pretend, and accept, that store copies represent physical backup and a game code, and not the actual game. The actual game is obtained through gog. If they make you sign in before allowing you to download your executable, then great.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Shakugan posted:

Technically isn't DRM, if you can copy the files to a dvd or HDD and they still work ok.
In other words, it isn't an anti copy mechanism, but a "you can't start playing until official date" mechanism.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

It's also only for disc copies, iirc. Digital copies won't require online activation once downloaded.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, that seems fine to me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I don't see any problems with this.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

That's not quite true. There were plenty of nice mages before the coup at Thanedd. It's just after that, the only ones surviving and prospering are the really ruthless ones. Remember the poor sorceress that just wanted to run her magic school and then committed suicide when Philippa and Vilgefortz basically got everyone killed?

And yeah Yennefer did basically do that. Unless Triss has grown major spine since the books (which is possible, I see some character growth there), anyone hoping for a big catfight in TW3 is gonna be disappointed. Yennefer dominates Triss in every single encounter.

It amazes me that people haven't learned the #1 true rule of the Witcherverse.

Every magicuser that isn't named Yennefer is out to gently caress Geralt ( sometimes literally ). Yennefer is also up to ruthless poo poo, but her plans include Geralt/Ciri benefiting with her, so that's fine, whatever.

Also where the gently caress is Regis. Geralt came back from getting stabbed, and Yennefer from being torn apart by her own power, Regis can heal what happened to him. Probably. Maybe. It's been awhile!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It seems from all of you guys discussing this stuff that the books and the games are two separate beasts and trying to conflate them doesn't work.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yennefer is out to gently caress Geralt, too. Sometimes one way, always the other.

Drifter posted:

It seems from all of you guys discussing this stuff that the books and the games are two separate beasts and trying to conflate them doesn't work.

I dunno that I agree with that. Why do you think so?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Because what I've experienced in the games up until now is either MUCH less or not at all like what you all are talking about.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The game series functions as basically a sequel to the book series. They don't cover the same events, but the books provide some interesting background for what happens in the games.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Rookersh posted:

It amazes me that people haven't learned the #1 true rule of the Witcherverse.

Every magicuser that isn't named Yennefer is out to gently caress Geralt ( sometimes literally ). Yennefer is also up to ruthless poo poo, but her plans include Geralt/Ciri benefiting with her, so that's fine, whatever.

I just posted an exception to that rule and there's plenty of others. Of course Geralt is (mostly) the focus of the books and the games so mostly he hangs around people concerned with him. And because of the tone of this series, many or most of the people interested in him are out to gently caress him in some way.

Drifter posted:

Because what I've experienced in the games up until now is either MUCH less or not at all like what you all are talking about.

It's not that different really, you just lack context.

I mean I could make the same argument from the games. Most of the mages at Loc Muinne don't give the slightest poo poo about Geralt until the dragon turns up.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

It's not that different really, you just lack context.

Okay, then contextually [insert previous quotes and comments]

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
What parts are you specifically having problems with, as being not at all like the games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

What parts are you specifically having problems with, as being not at all like the games?

Not problems, as I quite enjoy it, but the lion's share of the relationshippy and history bits you guys are talking about seem like they're not in the game at all.

• Locked thread