Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

JerryLee posted:

It strikes me as a little bit lame for Guilliman to be among the upper percentiles of primarchs in physical combat, because he's got so much else going for him in the fluff. He should be more similar to Lorgar, but with bureaucracy instead of religion.

Really though, I imagine they're close enough in aggregate power level that any one of them can probably win on a given day if the fluff writer in question likes the taste of his dick more than the other guy's. Because we all know that's what power levels come down to in the 40k fluff, even when the good writers are in charge.

That is what he is. Lorgar's loyalist counterpart. Lorgar has, in turn, shown when actually driven he is a goddamn beast. Roboute is the same, only he didn't need some flimsy theist comfort zone nonsense to encourage him to build, conquer and make the universe a generally better place for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
This thread is back on track! Cool pictures and Primarch smack-talk.

I made some quick-and-dirty commission terrain for a Tallarn player (who also has Orks). My foam hills from a while back are also done, and pics should be up real soon.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

BuffaloChicken posted:

I made some quick-and-dirty commission terrain for a Tallarn player (who also has Orks). My foam hills from a while back are also done, and pics should be up real soon.

How does one get into making terrain? I'm looking into building my own table and terrain so I'm not reliant on a game store.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Strength of Many posted:

How does one get into making terrain? I'm looking into building my own table and terrain so I'm not reliant on a game store.

Get some masoniteboards, and then go nuts. Cans? Sure, blackcoat them, drybrush some tin bitz and some boltgun on there. Get pieces of bark (I think you can buy it in bulk quantities at your local greenhouseplantdealerthing) and prime them and then drybrush them in the desired colour.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'd honestly recommend the Foam Board you can buy at any home depot Store , around 20 bucks for a 4 x 8 , cut that down to a 4 x 6 , then further to make it modular with 3 2 x 4 pieces. Get some cheap thin particle board to mount it on. It has the added benefit of being able to cut into so that you can make Craters and rivers and gulches etc.. that go "into" the board.

Very good stuff , very cheap.

1 4 x 8 Foam Board
1 Bag Sand
1 1 gallon cheap white "primer"
1 Half Gallon PVA glue
1 4x6 thin particle mounting board cut into 3 2 x 4 pieces

Start with that and you'll be doing good.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Strength of Many posted:

I don't have a dedicated gaming room in my house, so all my nerd stuff is designed to easily stash away. I'm really happy with the solution I came up with for my gaming table. It was extremely cheap and easy to make - you can go to Home Depot, buy all the parts, and assemble it at home in under 30 minutes.

Materials:

- 1/4" thickness 2' x 4' MDF boards (x3)
- 6' length 2" x 4" planks (x2)
- Adhesive Velcro strips (1 package)
- Gorilla Glue

Step 1: Cut Velcro into strips and glue it along one side of each 6' plank.
Step 2: Line up the MDF boards into a 6' x 4' board.
Step 3: Lay the Velcro planks on it, Velcro down. Mark where the Velcro contacts the boards.
Step 4: Glue the Velcro on the boards so that it will line up with the Velcro on the planks.

Done! You have a 6' x 4' board which can break down and stack up into a 2' x 4' pile. That and the planks can easily be slipped behind a shelf, inside a cabinet, under a bed or couch, etc. If the 6' planks are giving you trouble for storage, you can instead use two 3' lengths with a hinge in the middle to collapse for storage.

Then just get a fantastic Fat Mat of your choosing to roll on top, and you're done. They even include a sweet carrying case. I purchased a mat from TheTerrainGuy.com (great product, but site has been down for a while) which did not include a case, but I found a telescoping map tube in my house which works perfectly.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 9, 2015

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Strength of Many posted:

Response Part 2:

To make the terrain itself, I always base on MDF. I tried other materials early in my hobby career and was always disappointed.

You can use heavy-duty garden pruners to cut thin MDF to shape, and then use an orbital sander to round and bevel the edges. If you don't have an orbital sander you could do it by hand, but prepare to spend a long time on it. Always wear safety glasses and a dust mask/respirator.

Use a dollar-store glue gun for assembling most terrain structure, and cover the visible glue and any sloppy bits with white glue and sand. You can make super-easy and really nice game boards by using a few simple techniques. I'll try to post my finished jungle hills later tonight.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

GMarshal posted:

You have good opinions.

Where can I read about Ferrus being a badass?
Fulgrim, by Graham McNeill. The fifth book in the Horus Heresy series. It is worth reading the opening trilogy first as they build up the backstory for a lot of the payoff that happens in Fulgrim

BuffaloChicken posted:

These rule! A nice and simple scheme, and the ork icons finish them off well.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just put together the Tantalus. Goddamnit did that suck - will post pictures as I start to slather paint on it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

This is lovely stuff. I was looking through some old WDs earlier today and the amount of scratch built terrain in there is astounding and absolutely lovely to look at. I love the new plastics, but that stuff's truly unique.

So I'm at my friend's place. This is the dude who has retro Orks you might have seen in one of my battle reports. He has a lot of hams. This is only the unassembled/unpainted stuff. Yes, a lot of this is new in box, and yes, that's original artwork from the 2nd ed Ork codex framed there, from the artist. All those blue tabs say something like "2nd ed Orks" or "Catachans" and they're all full of models, many older than I am and many still in their blisters.

I'm going to keep trying to convince him to open Warhammer World USA.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
What would be my best option for servo arm bits? I've got the strangest urge to make a techmarine.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Sykic posted:

What would be my best option for servo arm bits? I've got the strangest urge to make a techmarine.
If you want a plethora of cheap plastic servo-arms, look for Talos bits on ebay. The kit has all sorts of weird little bits which look appropriate tipped with a good old piece of Imperial hardware. You can trim down old chainswords, Nartheciums, lens arrays, antennae, pistols, etc. to fit on the end. That's what I did with the sergeant in my Exo-Squat squad - I put a spare Finecast Servitor bit on the end of a Talos arm:

On the terrain topic, remember these from a few pages back?

Got them finished up pretty quickly. Here they are all painted:

And here's an example setup. Note they're not completely finished here - the bright tan rocks got a drybrush and then a darker wash to tone them down, and then some green streaks and patches for that jungle look. The scatter foliage is also going to be painted so it blends in much better. But I think this would be a neat choke point before a Catachan base setup. I can even have my "Jurassic Park" gates tie right into a cliff wall, or put the entrance door in between the walls of a canyon.

Once the scatter terrain is painted and there's lots more of it, it should look really good and soften the severe "stepped" look of the terrain. But I'm excited to have modular terrain that makes the game more vertical and interesting!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 9, 2015

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

This is lovely stuff. I was looking through some old WDs earlier today and the amount of scratch built terrain in there is astounding and absolutely lovely to look at. I love the new plastics, but that stuff's truly unique.
Yeah, I'm a huge fan the old terrain. Have you ever seen the old "how to make wargames terrain" book? I think you'd love it.

SRM posted:

I'm going to keep trying to convince him to open Warhammer World USA.
if this guy has old Necromunda gangers he's willing to part with, let me know. I'd like to make a Delaque gang into Genestealer Cultists. Would also be interested in old metal or plastic Genestealer Cult models!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 9, 2015

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Boon posted:

Just put together the Tantalus. Goddamnit did that suck - will post pictures as I start to slather paint on it.

Good news, then! With the existence of Wraithguard (and it being the only DE transport that can carry them plus an Archon), it finally has a use!

BuffaloChicken posted:

Once the scatter terrain is painted and there's lots more of it, it should look really good and soften the severe "stepped" look of the terrain. But I'm excited to have modular terrain that makes the game more vertical and interesting!

Your stuff is always rad, BC. What's the deal with that "bridge" you've got going there- is it just kinda resting on there, or does it have some sort of anchor points so as to link a little more securely onto the hills?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Any good custom terrain videos? I'm a visual learner.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Stanyer89 posted:

Anyone selling any of their Dark Angels that they have collecting dust. Mainly interested in some Deathwing Knights but possibly other stuff also.

A few pages old, but I have a box full of Deathwing Knight bits that I don't need, can send em over to you if you're interested? PM me.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

What the hell happened to GWs pricing department when it came to the robots? 42 GBP is very reasonable.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Magnus, I assume is going to kick Lorgar Transfigured in the pants as spellcasting primarchs go. He's probably going to be a psychic phase monster and a half.

I expect him to be able to cast some multishot D powers. Gotta pop those eldar titans.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Theres no Eldar in 30k. AS THE EMPEROR INTENDED.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
While we're on the terrain front - my friend made some excellent lasercut terrain. I've found a guy on Ebay who does something similar for UK goons.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/wargame-model-mods

£17 including PnP for most things - e.g.a large missile silo which opens up on hinges. Very nice stuff!

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

What the hell happened to GWs pricing department when it came to the robots? 42 GBP is very reasonable.

The robots themselves look fairly articulated - on the sprue I can see that the feet and leg sections are all independent, and on the giant bundle you can see some of them are sprinting (a more active pose and different colour-scheme makes them look reasonably good, I think). I can't tell whether the limbs actually have a degree of freedom to them, or if it's just that you can assemble them at 1/2 set angles.

I still think their tiny shoulders look wank.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

By the way, does anyone know the stats for a plasma culverin?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

Yeah, I'm a huge fan the old terrain. Have you ever seen the old "how to make wargames terrain" book? I think you'd love it.
if this guy has old Necromunda gangers he's willing to part with, let me know. I'd like to make a Delaque gang into Genestealer Cultists. Would also be interested in old metal or plastic Genestealer Cult models!
At the very least I know he has excess Genestealer Cult dudes. I'll ask him if he's willing to part with some.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mango Polo posted:

I expect him to be able to cast some multishot D powers. Gotta pop those eldar titans.

I seriously would not be surprised if one of his rules is "Has access to psychic powers. All of them."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BuffaloChicken posted:

Heresy Miniatures make a bunch of totally not Delaque, honest miniatures that would work well for human cultists.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

AbusePuppy posted:

Well, only one of those has gotten a rules release (Angron) and it turns out he's a pile of hot, steaming garbage, so that may not bode well for the others.

Angron's not garbage. He provides relatively little boost to his legion when on the field (12" fearless radius) but is a complete monster in close combat... and as he kills, he gets nastier. Horus aside, I'd put money on Angron over pretty much any of the primarchs that have rules so far.

(full disclosure: I play World Eaters and love the model)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So I happened by the games workshop site store the other day and holy crap those prices. My old 2nd/3rd edition 40k troops have ballooned up 850 bucks, I should really do something with these guys. I could probably sell them for four or five hundred with the case I have them (they're badly painted and some of them are damaged/missing bits) but honestly maybe instead I could actually, I don't know, play with the drat things.

I'm on the Mississippi gulf coast, does anyone want to play at Jack's in Biloxi some time? And since anyone else being from here is pretty unlikely, does anyone reading play at some store in New Orleans?

I'd actually rather play fantasy but I figure 40k is more likely and If I can find some people who play ANYTHING it'll be more than I have now. I bought all this stuff in my teens and early 20's and none of my friends play anymore (including me).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I know there's a store in Metaire +1 Gaming or something like that that has 40k players. You could also go up to Little Wars in Baton Rouge that place has been around forever and has a good group of people.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Release video for Kasteleans. Still hate the heads, but those stubber/bolter/whatever arms are SO ED-209 that I have to love them :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkXmBqpnnw

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

HardCoil posted:

Release video for Kasteleans. Still hate the heads, but those stubber/bolter/whatever arms are SO ED-209 that I have to love them :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYkXmBqpnnw

I really wish the gun arms were a little more Megaman and a little less Super Soaker, The little gun muzzles on these big, chunky mitts are kinda dinky looking. I like the fists though. I'm just curious how long it'll be til Dave Taylor or whoever converts them up with some better heads. I still dig the models though, and the shoulders don't bug me; it's just the heads I'd change.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ If they have the same Phosphor Blasters as the tank, each robot is spitting out 6 S6 AP3 shots at 36". Not bad for a T7 unit with a Ar2+ guy that can tank for them. But yeah, the weapons have a distinct style that I can see not everyone liking.

I don't have my rulebook with me, but a AA mount let's you shoot normally at skimmers and jetbikes, right? I'll be picking up babies first knight tomorrow and I'll have to see if the AA autocannon is worth it (I have no idea how many points it is).

LordAba fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 9, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really hope these rumours for Genestealer Cult pan out and that they have the limo , sounds like they get some sort of El Camino style transport but doesn't sound like it's a limo. :(

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LordAba posted:

^^^ If they have the same Phosphor Blasters as the tank, each robot is spitting out 6 S6 AP3 shots at 36". Not bad for a T7 unit with a Ar2+ guy that can tank for them. But yeah, the weapons have a distinct style that I can see not everyone liking.

I don't have my rulebook with me, but a AA mount let's you shoot normally at skimmers and jetbikes, right? I'll be picking up babies first knight tomorrow and I'll have to see if the AA autocannon is worth it (I have no idea how many points it is).
I bet they're really effective, I've found all the Admech rules to be pretty characterful and not overpowered or anything. That thin nozzle on a meaty hand looks a little off to me is all. I'd replace them with a beefier gun barrel if I had them.

Hollismason posted:

I really hope these rumours for Genestealer Cult pan out and that they have the limo , sounds like they get some sort of El Camino style transport but doesn't sound like it's a limo. :(

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I just realized I've not seen anyone in these threads actually doing any of the new Space Wolf or Blood Angel stuff. Usually whenever a new GW release hits, no matter how reprehensible the price or hosed up the rules (in either the useless or broken directions of hosed up) there's someone who will buy the heck out of the new poo poo and post about it. But I can't remember anyone who posted their brand new SW or BA minis.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JerryLee posted:

I just realized I've not seen anyone in these threads actually doing any of the new Space Wolf or Blood Angel stuff. Usually whenever a new GW release hits, no matter how reprehensible the price or hosed up the rules (in either the useless or broken directions of hosed up) there's someone who will buy the heck out of the new poo poo and post about it. But I can't remember anyone who posted their brand new SW or BA minis.

I think after those armies had their heyday in 5th people really cooled on them. A lot of BA players were pissed by the changes to Razorbacks and Assault Marines, but I'm not familiar enough with the army to know what changed. Space Wolves got a pretty serviceable army book from the few people I know who play it, but they're both close combat Space Marine chapters in a pair of editions where assault isn't very good. Personally I haven't cared about Space Wolves since their old 3rd ed pamphlet dex when they were my main army. I've barely touched them since their 5th ed book dropped.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

What makes assault so bad in this edition and the last?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Random Charge Distance and Overwatch basically. Also, this is why I think Banshees are one of the better units in the game for CC now, immune to Overwatch , and get the Charge Bonus. That's pretty awesome.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Omar al-Bishie posted:

What makes assault so bad in this edition and the last?

Overwatch and no charge from reserve.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does on-going reserve count as reserve? Like if I hot drop a bunch of marines out of a storm raven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

I know there's at least a few of us in this thread that play Blood Angels. I haven't posted any of my stuff because I'm still very much a novice painter but I am very happy with the army itself.
It may not be top tier but it feels reasonably balanced to me and has a ton of flavor. Death Company are a ton of fun to play with, as is Dante, Mephiston or any of the other unique units. We also have a few neat tricks that I believe regular Space Marines don't like heavy flamers on our Tac squads or meltas on our assault squads.
I've been looking a bit into starting an army of regular Space Marines and I'm actually finding them incredibly bland unless you play Ultramarines and get their special characters. And really, gently caress Ultramarines.

Edit: Rules question, actually. If you put a locator beacon on a Storm Raven and drop a unit off using the Skies of Fury rule do they not scatter as long as they're within 6?

Pendent fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 9, 2015

• Locked thread