Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

magimix posted:

What I *really* want to do is head back to Emprise du Lion, but some part of me wants to ding 20 first.

Does stuff scale differently after 20 or just 'cause?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

Does stuff scale differently after 20 or just 'cause?

Just 'cause. Stinging, man, stinging!

Edit: I'm, like, 150 XP from L20, at this point. I should probably hit up that DLC vendor thing again too, since the trip worked out quite well for me last time.

Edit2: Edit harder: Man, I clearly need to shape up. 90 hours into this Hard run, maybe I now *finally* need to pay attention to things. That said, the fight I just had also cements my (now long held) opinion that the two most dangerous enemies in the game are the hulking plant-like things, and those flying witch-things that shoot ice. Seriously. gently caress both those things.

magimix fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 9, 2015

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Get Dorian, micromanage and let those motherfuckers burn. Fire eats through despairs really fast :supaburn:

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

GuyUpNorth posted:

Get Dorian, micromanage and let those motherfuckers burn. Fire eats through despairs really fast :supaburn:

To be sure, my current trevails are all my own fault. I just need to engage more, and play more tactfully. As it happens, Dorian is one of my main bros this time round[1]

[1] I generally run with a fixed party selection in RPGs, except when forced to mix things up due to plot or difficulty. My first run saw me run with Cassandra, Vivienne, and Sera. This time round, it was Dorian, Iron Bull, and Blackwall until I decided I needed more anti-magic in my life, and swapped Blackwall out for Cassandra.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What are the best Perks to take, and are any pointless to take? There's a few that I thought would be useful, like the warrior schematics one, as I expected to get a regular supply of them, but nope.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

What are the best Perks to take, and are any pointless to take? There's a few that I thought would be useful, like the warrior schematics one, as I expected to get a regular supply of them, but nope.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3681488&perpage=40&pagenumber=244#post438458641

I found this guy's assessment pretty accurate.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

twistedmentat posted:

I do EVERYTHING. Closing the rifts netted me like 5k xp per alone. I was honestly surprised how many levels I went through doing it.

There was one troll when I went in at level 18 that I think was five digit XP.

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, the schematics ones were mildly useful on Nightmare before Black Emporium because they'd be a guaranteed set of gear to take some of the heat off the fight in Haven. I'm of the following opinions:

Good
  • Knowledge (all of them; the dialogue options are good and the xp bonus is nice if not game-changing)
  • Advanced Focus and Master Focus (These, on the other hand, are potentially game changing)
  • More Healing Potions (somehow this one perks can transform incredible hard fights into merely tough but survivable).
  • Deft Hands, Fine Tools (virtually required--things like companion quest objectives and master work materials are behind locked doors you can't otherwise open)
  • Short List (if you like crafting, this puts rare schematics and items in the inventories of various shops)
  • Tempered Glass Flasks (I consider this essential--you want more bombs, potions and tonics)
Okay
  • True Grit (if you need more damage reduction--but even on Nightmare you can survive without if you craft good armor)
  • Optimal Cutting (that extra herbs proc isn't for just one extra herb, but a bunch at once. It can have a huge impact on how much you have for upgrading/brewing potions)
  • Tailoring (more inventory always helps, but with the storage in Skyhold this is less important)
  • Exclusive Training (A perk for the effect of a Power Amulet)
Ignore
  • Schematics
  • Rider's Posture and the Saddle (getting knocked out of the saddle is a non-problem)
  • Massache's Method (Do you really need 5% extra XP? I dunno--it does nothing else)
  • Eagle-Eyed (seems useless to me)
  • Forward Scouts (same as Eagle-Eyed)
  • Herbalists (only if you're really desperate for something you can find in the wild for pretty much free, and getting the actually useful stuff takes three perks)
  • Rare Stocks, Exacting Buyers, Only the Finest (same as Herbalist, everything these give you can be found in greater quantities just by playing the game)
  • Friends in High Places (I can't remember any sales being particularly worthwhile when I've tried this perk).
No Opinion
  • Enhanced Studies (never tested to see how useful the XP boost is)
  • Sterling Reputation, A Favor for a Favor, Elite Clientele (the bonus to sale and buy prices is unimpressive to me, but you could shave close to 2k off the most expensive Black Emporium Schematics with all of these if you want; Elite Clientele also unlocks a vault for Skyhold where the secret trivia character is most likely to show up.)

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 9, 2015

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

ApplesandOranges posted:

NeurosisHead posted:

Not in my ending. She become the Divine and spilled rivers of blood keeping the church strong.
Did you soften her both times? You have to do it once in Haven, and after you first get to Skyhold. Basically if you manage to persuade her to release Natalie you've been successful.

I feel like the Leliana that makes the most sense to me starts in DA:O and doesn't get hardened, is a lover to the Warden who survives because he made a god-baby with Morrigan and then disappeared to investigate whatever the Warden is investigating during DA:I. Leliana gets progressively angrier, her faith begins to falter, and the world keeps getting worse and worse. She clings to the idea of the Chantry and seeks to lead it with the zeal that only an angry cold-blooded spymaster can, and she succeeds.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Lotish posted:

• Enhanced Studies (never tested to see how useful the XP boost is)

For what it's worth this one puts a guy in Skyhold who gives a fetch quest around the keep, for if you haven't had enough of exploring it at that point.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I never used focus abilities outside the KE's revive (and mostly for the convenience). By the time they unlocked I never had trouble w/ combat (on hard) - they usually felt like overkill, never mind upgrading them.

As a side note, do people enjoy nightmare? I don't have high regards for the combat in general - it's rarely rewarding - but extending the length of every trash mob encounter seems extra unappealing.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I never used focus abilities outside the KE's revive (and mostly for the convenience). By the time they unlocked I never had trouble w/ combat (on hard) - they usually felt like overkill, never mind upgrading them.

As a side note, do people enjoy nightmare? I don't have high regards for the combat in general - it's rarely rewarding - but extending the length of every trash mob encounter seems extra unappealing.
i very much enjoy the combat in this game and find anything below nightmare a waste of time for babies

but i mean i'm sure your way of playing is fine too

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

cams posted:

i very much enjoy the combat in this game and find anything below nightmare a waste of time for babies

but i mean i'm sure your way of playing is fine too

Can't say I didn't sometimes associate the combat with wasting time either.

If I was playing on PC, I'd probably actually give nightmare a fair try.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I only took a few of the ones that weren't optimal, and none of the ones that were bad choices.

Uh what the hell, blackwall is no longer available to me, but his dialog didn't indicate anything about him leaving.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

I only took a few of the ones that weren't optimal, and none of the ones that were bad choices.

Uh what the hell, blackwall is no longer available to me, but his dialog didn't indicate anything about him leaving.

Check around where he used to hang out at Skyhold.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rinkles posted:

Check around where he used to hang out at Skyhold.

Ah okay. also Varric's tarot card has turned super disturbing, does that mean his approval is really low? I wish the game had peoples approval in a place that is viewable, its really annoying to gauge at who's happy with you. Especially when you get to that point in romance where you need to bring it up to move to the next stage.

EDIT: Hah the messanger was caught on the side of the building, that's why it wasn't triggering.

Another dumb question, is the mosaics you pick up the ones in Solas's room?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

GuyUpNorth posted:

The first time I found the Murderer's Gold while playing Jaws of Hakkon, I had Viv specced for ice with me, and she did not have Dispel. The 4 level 30 Despair Demons wrecked my poo poo in seconds, even though my level 24 dagger rogue is nearly invincible with guard-on-hit equipment. Then I came back with my awesome flaming boyfriend, and could not be more smug when each of those assholes went up in flames. :smug:

twistedmentat posted:

Ah okay. also Varric's tarot card has turned super disturbing, does that mean his approval is really low? I wish the game had peoples approval in a place that is viewable, its really annoying to gauge at who's happy with you. Especially when you get to that point in romance where you need to bring it up to move to the next stage.

Another dumb question, is the mosaics you pick up the ones in Solas's room?
Varric's card looks like that if you left Hawke in the Fade.

You can tell how companions feel about you by their greeting when you come talk to them. It's pretty clear there.

Also no, Solas is painting the main plot events. The mosaics are in Skyhold's main hallway, on the wall across from Varric.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
And couple are up there with Viv if you don't see some at the hall.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Stroop There It Is posted:

Nope I got that w/o doing *spoilered thing*. But the portrait changed again after sorting out some other troubling business for him.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Stroop There It Is posted:

I think it always flips to the sad card at some point - either what you said or after his personal quest?

Man, Varric is real sad in this game. :smith:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Varric's portrait change indicates his personal quest is now available.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Blackwall's romance portrait card change is awesome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah that makes sense.

I cannot figure out how to get to the northern part of the exalted planes, where the Viv's mission is. The only path i found leads to the giant hand.

EDIT: Never mind, found it.

Anyways, I was thinking about how swords tend to not be the best weapons. Maces tend to be the best weapons, not just in this, but like Skyrim and Wow. I'll never understand it.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 10, 2015

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

twistedmentat posted:

Ah that makes sense.

I cannot figure out how to get to the northern part of the exalted planes, where the Viv's mission is. The only path i found leads to the giant hand.

I had the same problem in my first playthrough. You have to open up the way there via the war table and I think, the first time i tried to find it, I got turned around or didn't explore far enough in or something since I killed the wyverns I was supposed to to set up the camp site. After that, you find your way into a boggie area filled with wyverns, rifts, a dragon. But the map is kind of useless in that area.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

twistedmentat posted:

Obviously the best perk to take is the one that gives you a Scrooge McDuck-esque pile of money to swim in. It's one of Josephine's, I think the one that reduces prices by 15%?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just got this for PC - any tips on making the KBM controls not awkward? I was hoping to have the mouse rotate the camera except when in pause mode, but that doesn't seem to be an option to set. Seems like I can set a mouse-look toggle button or get used to holding the RMB quite a bit.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Obviously the best perk to take is the one that gives you a Scrooge McDuck-esque pile of money to swim in. It's one of Josephine's, I think the one that reduces prices by 15%?

Elite Clientele, I thankfully just learned about this before I spent all my perk points. Also gently caress the Gurd Harofsen fight, Jesus Christ. Between too many archers, two handers and the stupid magic cold mechanic, that was way too much micromanagement for one fight. Hakkon was somehow easier even when he loved to fly up into the air and gombastomp on the AI too dumb to not run under him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh geeze, the card game. that was phenomenal, this is a very good game.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah Varrics tarot card turns sad no matter what. I left Hawke in the Fade on my first playthrough, saving Alistair. On my second playthrough I left Stroud, saving Hawke. Both times his tarot card turned to the sad one. The question I had is actually about Blackhawks tarot card my first playthrough I left him in the jail, the 2nd one I got him out and told him to rejoin me at the sentencing, that he could redeem himself later and become a Grey Warden (although I also exiled the Grey Wardens), when I looked at his tarot card it seemed so regal for someone who just admitted to killing a man for money and lieing to his men about it

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah Varrics tarot card turns sad no matter what. I left Hawke in the Fade on my first playthrough, saving Alistair. On my second playthrough I left Stroud, saving Hawke. Both times his tarot card turned to the sad one. The question I had is actually about Blackhawks tarot card my first playthrough I left him in the jail, the 2nd one I got him out and told him to rejoin me at the sentencing, that he could redeem himself later and become a Grey Warden (although I also exiled the Grey Wardens), when I looked at his tarot card it seemed so regal for someone who just admitted to killing a man for money and lieing to his men about it

thats a glitch. if hawke survives, the picture should be this. atleast it was for me.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 10, 2015

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Roobanguy posted:

thats a glitch. if hawke survives, the picture should be this. atleast it was for me.

That is not a glitch. The companions have three tarot cards: the starter, the personal quest card, and then the finished quest card. That card you linked is the card after you complete Varric's loyalty quest.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
So I finally got around to finishing up my second playthrough and whilst I do enjoy a lot about the ending, so much of the last mission feels truncated and weird. I can't remember noticing it the first time I played through it but "Doom Upon All the World" just lacks so much of the setup of all the other main missions. The whole thing feels so rushed; like I can understand what's going on but in every other mission, the game takes it's time to explain and setup everything whereas the last one just kind of throws you into the final battle with a "blah blah rift blah end of the world blah temple blah dragon ok?". The ending feast and the epilogue are fine, it's just the actual mission itself feels like it has some missing dialogue and scenes.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Does the Hero of Felrelden show up in the game? There's enough talk about them vanishing it seems like it would be something that would be part of the plot. If not, maybe future DLC?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

Does the Hero of Felrelden show up in the game?

No, but you can get a letter from her. She explains that she's busy looking for a way to end the Calling forever, and can't make it back to Orlais/Ferelden in time to make a difference.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cythereal posted:

No, but you can get a letter from her. She explains that she's busy looking for a way to end the Calling forever, and can't make it back to Orlais/Ferelden in time to make a difference.

So, future DLC.

God drat walking on tiles puzzles are annoying as poo poo in this game. And why does all the solutions have to be poorly shot videos, can't we just get an image with an arrow? The first two aren't too bad, but the one with the gate is really pissing me off.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I remember that one taking me a really long time, I would give you tips but honestly I don't remember what I did because I was so frustrated by the end.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

twistedmentat posted:

So, future DLC.

God drat walking on tiles puzzles are annoying as poo poo in this game. And why does all the solutions have to be poorly shot videos, can't we just get an image with an arrow? The first two aren't too bad, but the one with the gate is really pissing me off.

Very unlikely given how many variables there are related to the hero. That and the fact that every Origins player has projected their own idea of how their Warden was, making it certain that anything the writers have him/her say or do will piss someone off.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
A picture like this one?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man I found the penultimate boss fight in Jaws to be harder than the ultimate one. Maybe it's just because my main party was already set up for dragon slaying, but geez. Also I ended up not having much use for any of the new gear, which was sad. I did like the color tint thingy though, which I guess might just have been added in a patch.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Geostomp posted:

Very unlikely given how many variables there are related to the hero. That and the fact that every Origins player has projected their own idea of how their Warden was, making it certain that anything the writers have him/her say or do will piss someone off.

It also doesn't really help that the Warden can also do the stuff in Awakening or it can be a different Warden altogether and they'd need to write two different characters in one or something weird like that. The only reason Hawke came back is because DA 2's choices mattered completely little in the long run anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Geostomp posted:

It isn't that difficult if they just do what they did with Hawke but make a larger selection of customizations. They have to choose a voice that The Warden or Orlesian Commander will eventually break out in just so show that it can talk, but chooses not to most of the time. But I just want to see if I can help my Warden be cured somehow of the taint just so he can see how his kid's grown. However, there are quite a few directions DLC could go in and I'd like to see more about what the Hero is doing or visit a port of Antivia or hang out and/or fight with some Waking Sea pirates on some distant island.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 10, 2015

• Locked thread