Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Finished Full Metal Alchemist --- pretty cool show. Don't know if I can sit through it again by watching Brotherhood, but I'll definitely give that a chance at some point. Watching Attack on Titan now based on recommendations, and holyyy poo poo. That's a creepy show. Really engaging though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

railroad terror posted:

Finished Full Metal Alchemist --- pretty cool show. Don't know if I can sit through it again by watching Brotherhood, but I'll definitely give that a chance at some point. Watching Attack on Titan now based on recommendations, and holyyy poo poo. That's a creepy show. Really engaging though.

Brotherhood goes right off on its own tangent almost immediately. There's very little retread save for two major events. Nina, and the Maes Hughes' murder.

Also I hope you capped it off with the Conqueror of Shamballa :unsmigghh:.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Le Mis chat in the chat thread made me wonder: are there any decent anime out there about or heavily featuring popular uprising?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You could watch the Les Mis anime. :v:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Wait really? There's such a thing?

A movie, I guess. Might look into it more.

Hmm, I don't think this is quite what I was looking for...

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 8, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4781

I don't think it's very good though.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Code geass

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Le Mis chat in the chat thread made me wonder: are there any decent anime out there about or heavily featuring popular uprising?

Rose of Versailles is set around the events of the French Revolution. It's good. Go watch that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

The Black Stones posted:

Rose of Versailles is set around the events of the French Revolution. It's good. Go watch that.

I have! but for some reason didn't think of it. It's really good.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
The only two I can really think of based off my MAL are Rideback, but the revolutionary stuff is somewhat off to the side for the most part. Also a mid 2000's show called "Starship Operators" which I really like. The premise is that a military training school is taking part in operations when their planet (galaxy maybe) gets taken over. They reject it and try to fight back. I haven't watched in a while but I've seen it twice and liked it both times. The show features teenagers (of course) and gets a little teen melodramatic at some points, but the spaceship battles and the politics were neat.

If anyone liked Bodacious Space Pirates, I'd actually recommend they give it a shot.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fang of the Sun Dougram is entirely about an uprising, albeit more akin to a 50s and 60s colonial uprising than a revolutionary one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Black Stones posted:

The only two I can really think of based off my MAL are Rideback, but the revolutionary stuff is somewhat off to the side for the most part. Also a mid 2000's show called "Starship Operators" which I really like. The premise is that a military training school is taking part in operations when their planet (galaxy maybe) gets taken over. They reject it and try to fight back. I haven't watched in a while but I've seen it twice and liked it both times. The show features teenagers (of course) and gets a little teen melodramatic at some points, but the spaceship battles and the politics were neat.

If anyone liked Bodacious Space Pirates, I'd actually recommend they give it a shot.

Rideback hits the revolutionary stuff after a proper setup and running the background though (rather than just dropping the protagonist in the thick of it from the get-go by force), so it's worth a watch.

Plus the OP's by MELL :rock:.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Yu Yu Hakusho has gotten kind of stale, is Hunter x Hunter any better, and is the remake of it in english or should I just stick with the subbed version on Netflix

Also, what are some good comedy/action series that are good and not bad.

For some context so people dont recommend stuff I've already seen and enjoyed: Space Dandy, Dragon Ball, Trigun, Tiger and Bunny, Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloon, JoJo (the first two parts, haven't watched the third yet), YYH mostly, FLCL

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 9, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Yu Yu Hakusho has gotten kind of stale, is Hunter x Hunter any better, and is the remake of it in english or should I just stick with the subbed version on Netflix

For some context so people dont recommend stuff I've already seen and enjoyed: Space Dandy, Dragon Ball, Trigun, Tiger and Bunny, Black Lagoon, Samurai Champloon, JoJo (the first two parts, haven't watched the third yet), YYH mostly, FLCL

Hunter x Hunter (2011) is good, although it botches the adaptation of some of the early manga chapters. Hunter x Hunter (1999), despite doing a better job with early chapters and doing a great job with atmosphere, changes characterization in subtle but important ways, has some pointless filler, and doesn't include the Chimera Ants and Election arcs. You should probably just watch the 2011 version.

Edit: I guess I misunderstood your question. There is no English dub for the 2011 anime.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 10, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

mabels big day posted:

Gintama is mostly a comedy that occasionally acts like a more traditional shounen action series, but it takes like 30 episodes before it gets consistently good. Try checking out the prison island episode (110) or the Nintendo Wii episodes (98-99) first to see if the humor appeals to you. If you prefer an introduction with a more action-y bent, the Diviner arc (195-199) also works well enough as a stand-alone and is one of my favorites in the series.

It doesn't have a dub though, other than one of the movies, which as a Sentai dub should be avoided.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Hunter x Hunter (2011) is good, although it botches the adaptation of some of the early manga chapters. Hunter x Hunter (1999), despite doing a better job with early chapters and doing a great job with atmosphere, changes characterization in subtle but important ways, has some pointless filler, and doesn't include the Chimera Ants and Election arcs. You should probably just watch the 2011 version.

Edit: I guess I misunderstood your question. There is no English dub for the 2011 anime.

Pointless filler is understating it, the filler in the 1999 series was so bad that the second episode was filler.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is it worse than Fist of the North Star, that had like two episodes that followed the manga, then about 30 episodes of filler before it got back on track.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I was hoping I could get some recommendations, I have watched some anime on and off for a while now but I never got super into it.

Stuff I really like: Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Ouran High School Host Club, Gurren Lagan Devil is a Part Timer, Baccano!, JoJo, Haibane Renmei, Mushi-shi, Space Dandy.

Stuff I mostly like: Ranma 1/2, Gundam(barely remember it.) Cowboy Beebop, Trigun, Dragonball (any of em).

Stuff I am not fond of: Attack on Titan, Evangelion, Naruto.

In general I like stuff that is either chill and charming, or fun and uplifting, I can't really stand anime that takes itself too seriously. And fanservice/Japanese gender politics stuff also annoys me.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

If you liked baccano! you should check out Durarara (aka DRRR!). Same guy, same 'interweaving stories' premise, a slightly less interesting story IMO, and it took me a few episodes to warm up to it (I think the second episode is especially poorly placed) but it was a fun ride. I can't speak to the second season because I haven't seen it yet.

If you liked cowboy bebop and trigun you should check out Outlaw Star, if you haven't. Space cowboys and ships with arms and a pretty great art style.

If you liked Space Dandy you should really watch Redline. And FLCL.

It's worth noting even if your haven't watched a lot of anime, you have really watched a wide fuckin range of shows so you will probably get a ton of recommendations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

axelsoar posted:

I was hoping I could get some recommendations, I have watched some anime on and off for a while now but I never got super into it.

Stuff I really like: Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Ouran High School Host Club, Gurren Lagan Devil is a Part Timer, Baccano!, JoJo, Haibane Renmei, Mushi-shi, Space Dandy.

Stuff I mostly like: Ranma 1/2, Gundam(barely remember it.) Cowboy Beebop, Trigun, Dragonball (any of em).

Stuff I am not fond of: Attack on Titan, Evangelion, Naruto.

In general I like stuff that is either chill and charming, or fun and uplifting, I can't really stand anime that takes itself too seriously. And fanservice/Japanese gender politics stuff also annoys me.
If you liked Trigun, you should check out Blood Blockade Battlefront, a currently airing show. Same creator. (Yasuhiro Nightow)

And if you liked Mushishi, you should watch Kino's Journey. It's a similar pretty chill show about a single character exploring the world around them. Kino's Journey is more surreal, though, and is more focused on societies than individuals.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I knew I forgot a few, I have seen FLCL and is certainly one of my favorites, I kinda sorta remember Outlaw Star, is that the one with like a person living in the ship and these 2 space cops tagging along and something about guns that fire magic? Also saw Redline not too long ago, baller as gently caress.

I watched 1 episode each of Kino's Journey and Blood Blockade Battlefront. Kino's Journey has a SERIOUS Mushi-shi vibe to it, wandering around from place to place learning about weird stuff while being all chill and stuff, This one looks great, thanks for the recommendation.

BBB seems a little more generic and the first episode is just tons of stuff being dropped on you with little explanation, I'll give it a few more episodes to see if I get into it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

axelsoar posted:

I knew I forgot a few, I have seen FLCL and is certainly one of my favorites, I kinda sorta remember Outlaw Star, is that the one with like a person living in the ship and these 2 space cops tagging along and something about guns that fire magic? Also saw Redline not too long ago, baller as gently caress.

Your half remembered summary of Outlaw star is hilarious. Outlaw Star does have a magic gun, but it's about two outlaw partners that steal a ship and finds an artificial woman and is chased by space pirates who want it back or them dead. No space cops! Although, ironically, Angel Links, which is a spinoff of outlaw star, is about space cops.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

DamnGlitch posted:

Your half remembered summary of Outlaw star is hilarious. Outlaw Star does have a magic gun, but it's about two outlaw partners that steal a ship and finds an artificial woman and is chased by space pirates who want it back or them dead. No space cops! Although, ironically, Angel Links, which is a spinoff of outlaw star, is about space cops.

Then which anime that I am half remembering has 2 women space cops that tag along? this is going to drive me nuts.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Well there was a space android lady, a space samurai assassin lady, and a space cat lady so???

Otherwise I dunno bro.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

axelsoar posted:

I watched 1 episode each of Kino's Journey and Blood Blockade Battlefront. Kino's Journey has a SERIOUS Mushi-shi vibe to it, wandering around from place to place learning about weird stuff while being all chill and stuff, This one looks great, thanks for the recommendation.

The important thing about Kino's Journey is it much more cruel and cynical about human nature. Man in Mushi-shi is gentle and willing to work with their compatriots, given the right impetus. We can always come to an understanding with others and with the mushi. Kino has no such idealism. Mushi-shi is set during the Edo period, a peaceful time in Japan, where the greatest struggle is against nature, and so it does not need to deal with human malice. Kino is set in a more metaphorical, more allegorical level, and so allows the characters to encompass more of the human condition.

Watch Episode 2 of Kino Right now. It has one of the tensest scenes I have ever seen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno you can say all that and kino has a lot of 'people are idiots' type stuff, but it also has the flight episode, or the episode with the wiseman.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Kino also has A Peaceful Land, and a Land of Adults, and of course, the punchline to the Land of Prophecy.

Kino observes both the heights and depths of the human condition.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
After doing some research, I find that I had somehow mixed up Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo in my mind. The gently caress?

And I just watched the second episode of Kino. Jesus.

Also, my childhood of watching anime on TV is coming back to me, Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Ruroni Kenshin, Tenchi Muyo, Yu-Yu-Hakusho(however it is spelled) if it was on Toonami at any point I probably saw it.

Jesus, I repressed the hell out of my anime childhood, buried that poo poo deep.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Oh yeaaaah. Tenchi Muyo. Mixing Muyo Universe with Outlaw story is hilarious.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

axelsoar posted:

Also, my childhood of watching anime on TV is coming back to me, Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Ruroni Kenshin, Tenchi Muyo, Yu-Yu-Hakusho(however it is spelled) if it was on Toonami at any point I probably saw it.

You might want to check out Slayers. Fun little fantasy anime. If you liked Yu-Yu-Hakusho you would probably like Hunter x Hunter as well. I preferred the original series, but the new remake is pretty good too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

Oh yeaaaah. Tenchi Muyo. Mixing Muyo Universe with Outlaw story is hilarious.

Now I want to watch that.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Phobophilia posted:

The important thing about Kino's Journey is it much more cruel and cynical about human nature. Man in Mushi-shi is gentle and willing to work with their compatriots, given the right impetus. We can always come to an understanding with others and with the mushi. Kino has no such idealism. Mushi-shi is set during the Edo period, a peaceful time in Japan, where the greatest struggle is against nature, and so it does not need to deal with human malice. Kino is set in a more metaphorical, more allegorical level, and so allows the characters to encompass more of the human condition.

Watch Episode 2 of Kino Right now. It has one of the tensest scenes I have ever seen.

Have you even seen Mushi-shi season 2? poo poo gets loving grim and it's not all "sometimes nature will destroy you by mistake" allegories.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

RabidWeasel posted:

Have you even seen Mushi-shi season 2? poo poo gets loving grim and it's not all "sometimes nature will destroy you by mistake" allegories.

The exceptions prove the rule. Violence in Mushi-shi is sporadic and an aberration from the norm. We see no bands of roaming bandits extorting villages and shaking down Ginko as he travels, and no feudal lords raising soldiers. Ginko can roam across the entirety of Japan completely unarmed, whereas Kino is heavily armed and constantly on guard against strangers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't know how you can say 'constantly on guard against strangers' when she's friendly and cordial to everyone she meets.

Like I can see what you're saying but your reading of Kino no Tabi is really bizarre and paints it as something it just isn't. The only people Kino directly kills are the bandits in I Want to Live and the king in Avengers. Heck, the only combat she sees is in those episodes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phobophilia posted:

The exceptions prove the rule. Violence in Mushi-shi is sporadic and an aberration from the norm. We see no bands of roaming bandits extorting villages and shaking down Ginko as he travels, and no feudal lords raising soldiers. Ginko can roam across the entirety of Japan completely unarmed, whereas Kino is heavily armed and constantly on guard against strangers.

There is one exception to this in season two of Mushi-Shi though. When Ginko learns about some rather gruesome "transplants" he doesn't say a goddamn thing, he just kicks a lantern over to burn the whole loving house down and runs.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I found these two manga volumes at a yard sale and decided to grab them since they were 25 cents and on the offchance they're good. I like Phoenix Wright, and I like the getup of the dude on the cover of "Lychee Light Club", are either of them worth a drat?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There was a Phoenix Wright manga? Wow, I hope that's good.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Lychee is great

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Endorph posted:

I don't know how you can say 'constantly on guard against strangers' when she's friendly and cordial to everyone she meets.

Like I can see what you're saying but your reading of Kino no Tabi is really bizarre and paints it as something it just isn't. The only people Kino directly kills are the bandits in I Want to Live and the king in Avengers. Heck, the only combat she sees is in those episodes.

You forgot that man in the Peaceful Land.

But in general, both shows are excellent, and are worth watching in parallel with one another to see their differences in worldview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

There's two Phoenix Wright mangas of sorts, at least to my knowledge. The one in the image is the one I own, and it's actually a collection of doujins. There's another series that I think is just a typical licensed manga. I've only read the former, and I don't remember it being anything special, but I also don't remember it being actively bad.

• Locked thread