Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Speaking of warbirds making e landings, one of the hellcats peeled off and landed at Reagan with engine issues today. All good though.
I had great fun today. Also stopped by the NASM for the first time and I'll be going to UH tomorrow for the first time too.
Have a Skytrain too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress did I just board.

From the rear.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

From the rear.

SK2865, an SAS ATR-72 600 known to the authorities as OY-JZC, departing the beautiful city of Bergen, Norway for Copenhagen, Denmark. Sorry to hear you got delayed, at least you got to enjoy a sunny Saturday in Bergen a bit longer, we have about five of those a year.

e: Flesland airport is departing to the south today, so I can't take an internet detective photo of Jealous Cow from my window but we can e-stalk him here http://fr24.com/SAS2865/63603ba Taxiing for departure now!

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 9, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I was wrong! Flesland is departing to the north. Taken from my living room window looking west, behold Jealous Cow in his little ATR-72 above sunny Bergen, just after they have turned south towards Copenhagen.

Hope the ATR-72 cruises below those cirrus clouds, you'll get some lovely views.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm not sure if I'm impressed or creeped out.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
I'm impressed.

Anyone else going to the Millville, NJ air show this weekend?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Ola posted:

I was wrong! Flesland is departing to the north. Taken from my living room window looking west, behold Jealous Cow in his little ATR-72 above sunny Bergen, just after they have turned south towards Copenhagen.

Hope the ATR-72 cruises below those cirrus clouds, you'll get some lovely views.

Sometimes the internet still amazes me.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'm not sure if I'm impressed or creeped out.

I for one am absolutely impressed. The internet is a magical place.

On a different topic,

Saw this weird icon and turns out it's a glider. It's sadly not doing a very great job at gliding.

e:

There's a Bombardier Global 6000 landed at my local (tinyass, regional) airport. What the christ is it doing here and why oh why can't I go visit it and see that beautiful glass cockpit in person :eng99:

marumaru fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 9, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like an A400M went down in Seville. I think most or all of the crew is dead?

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
Two have been taken to hospital, 3 haven been confirmed dead and two are missing.

Apparently it was the first flight of the first example for the Turkish airforce.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
:stare:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ola posted:

SK2865, an SAS ATR-72 600 known to the authorities as OY-JZC, departing the beautiful city of Bergen, Norway for Copenhagen, Denmark. Sorry to hear you got delayed, at least you got to enjoy a sunny Saturday in Bergen a bit longer, we have about five of those a year.

e: Flesland airport is departing to the south today, so I can't take an internet detective photo of Jealous Cow from my window but we can e-stalk him here http://fr24.com/SAS2865/63603ba Taxiing for departure now!

So I don't see a registration in the screenshot, did he leave GPS metadata in the picture? (can't check myself atm)

Inacio posted:

I for one am absolutely impressed. The internet is a magical place.

On a different topic,

Saw this weird icon and turns out it's a glider. It's sadly not doing a very great job at gliding.

e:

There's a Bombardier Global 6000 landed at my local (tinyass, regional) airport. What the christ is it doing here and why oh why can't I go visit it and see that beautiful glass cockpit in person :eng99:

You may think that its only fancy executives that fly in those kinds of jets, but a lot of jets like that are used by engineers and service crews for industries where every second of downtime costs $$$$$. Think oil.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 9, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

So I don't see a registration in the screenshot, did he leave GPS metadata in the picture? (can't check myself atm)

I'm guessing he works at Bergen Lufthavn and recognized the gate.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Has it not occurred to anyone that they may know each other IRL, after all, they were for some time until today, in the same city, and that Ola may have known that JC was leaving on a specific airline from that airport, and just looked it up.

Goons meeting up with other goons isn't an exactly unusual occurance :gooncamp:

e: ok, JC's post above quashes that theory

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Oh, yeah if you travel out of an airport frequently you can recognize gates.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've posted photos from airports all over the world and have never had anything like this happen.

I have no idea who that is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a pretty good idea where Ola’s living room is located now, but I’m just going to keep it to myself. I can confirm it’s in Bergen.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer
I'm departing for a year deployment to Honduras today (IAD->IAH->TGU).

Can't wait for the somewhat crazy landing at TGU. Since I'm only 31, and missed the chance to land at Kai Tak, this is one of the airports on my bucket to land at. Made sure to make a little sacrifice and get a window seat for the IAH->TGU leg just to get a cool view. (I'm 6'3, so I'm a aisle/exit-row ranger)

Saba's on my list. That might be in the cards for a mid-tour vacation.

Here's a YT for those not familiar. I hear it's a little less crazy because they've lengthened the runway or somesuch, but still looking forward to it.

https://youtu.be/v_z5HtME9n8

Headed down there to be a producer/DJ for AFN Honduras at Soto Cano Air Base. Why they discontinued MAC flights to there, I have no idea. Now I have to fly to Toncontin and then take a 50 mile bus ride through the mountains.... :getin:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

So happy about the reaction. I don't work at the airport, but recognised the gate. Also recognised the airline colors. From there on in it was just a matter of looking up departures. The photo is from my living room for real! The internet is fun.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

You may think that its only fancy executives that fly in those kinds of jets, but a lot of jets like that are used by engineers and service crews for industries where every second of downtime costs $$$$$. Think oil.
There's no loving way any corporation sends their lowly engineers up in a G6000. These are 50MM a pop and are for board-level execs... even when just visiting one of those they made me wear a pair of those overshoes.

Ryanair has a Lear 35 they use to shuttle techs and parts to outstations, so there's that I guess.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Tsuru posted:

There's no loving way any corporation sends their lowly engineers up in a G6000. These are 50MM a pop and are for board-level execs... even when just visiting one of those they made me wear a pair of those overshoes.

Ryanair has a Lear 35 they use to shuttle techs and parts to outstations, so there's that I guess.

Being nitpicky, but it's a 45. Or was two years ago when I stopped working for them, anyway. Tiny little thing, fits in under the wing of a 737-800 in the hangar when it's not flying. Probably the most sensible investment they ever made, too. The first summer it was flying often enough to position crews, engineers and parts around Europe that it had 16 hour a day crew cover, seven days a week.

That said, there are industries where something being broken costs far more than airline delays. Big factory production lines can cost many zeroes of lost income per hour if they're shut down.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Barnsy posted:

The French air force does something similar with Mirage 2000s and Rafales in the middle of France. loving awesome going for a bike ride and seeing them slalom between mounts.

Here's some French pilots pod-racing in Chad with their Mirage F1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07rpFzMDNU

There's another version of that video with a different soundtrack and a slightly longer duration, but in 240 max.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/09/spanish-air-force-cargo-plane-crashes-near-seville-airport

An A400M crashed near a Coca Cola plant in Sevilla. Up to 10 may be dead. Aircraft was meant for the Turkish Airforce.

Hambilderberglar fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 9, 2015

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

There's another version of that video with a different soundtrack and a slightly longer duration, but in 240 max.
No, no, no. That's all wrong.

Try this one

http://vmashup.com/LlHUND2J

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jonny Nox posted:

No, no, no. That's all wrong.

Try this one

http://vmashup.com/LlHUND2J

:argh: :argh:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
goddamnit you guys got my OCD up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6NCRIW7YWI

that song just fits that vid perfectly

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Hambilderberglar posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/09/spanish-air-force-cargo-plane-crashes-near-seville-airport

An A400M crashed near a Coca Cola plant in Sevilla. Up to 10 may be dead. Aircraft was meant for the Turkish Airforce.

How many Spanish Air Force crashes have there been in the last year, seems like I read something about them fairly recently (maybe a fighter jet crash)?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Here's some French pilots pod-racing in Chad with their Mirage F1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m07rpFzMDNU

There used to be a really awesome video on youtube along the same lines as this, but of 1980s Gibralter based Bucaneer pilots buzzing the RFN's carrier in the med (at altitudes below the flight deck level), but I haven't been able to find it for a year or two now :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mustard_tiger posted:

How many Spanish Air Force crashes have there been in the last year, seems like I read something about them fairly recently (maybe a fighter jet crash)?

There was a Spanish Typhoon that crashed last year; but the recent military crashes in Spain were not by the Spanish Air Force.

The first was at Albacete, were during a NATO "Tactical Leadership Program" training exercise, where a Greek two-seater F-16 just after take off made a hard turn to go crash on a bunch of French jets that were getting ready for taxiing, killing both Greek pilots and nine French Air Force personnel, including pilots, navigators, and ground staff. It also wounded many more, including some people from the Italian Air Force that were getting ready nearby.

And now, this accident involves only Airbus personnel on an aircraft meant for Turkey.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Went to ogle the F-22s at KBFI. Only one was out. A real, combat coded Raptor!

Pics when I get proper technology.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Jealous Cow posted:

From the rear.

How do you get a picture from that angle?
:eng101: The model will be on the safety card. Please read the safety card.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I think you board those from the rear door.

Or you can.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

The Ferret King posted:

I think you board those from the rear door.

Or you can.

Alaska/Horizon does that with their Q400s, too.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

VikingSkull posted:

goddamnit you guys got my OCD up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6NCRIW7YWI

that song just fits that vid perfectly

This was in the related videos section, swingin' tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEMi04eXju8

Didn't realize the F-16's wings flexed that much in a turn. (most visible at around 2:09)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Saw the flyover yesterday from the Kennedy Center and it was amazing. Drove to Dulles this morning, spent 30 min in a giant traffic jam trying to do the last three miles, then found out only a C-47 had made it.

Hopefully people who went in the afternoon got to see something. We were only there two weeks ago when my folks were in town so it was a pointless drive out to Dulles made pleasant because we were in an i8.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Hambilderberglar posted:

The plane in Spain crashed mainly on the plains...

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

So I took 700 pictures from the Udvar-Hazy center today. I'll post some good ones here when I get back to Jersey tomorrow night-ish

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

drgitlin posted:

Saw the flyover yesterday from the Kennedy Center and it was amazing. Drove to Dulles this morning, spent 30 min in a giant traffic jam trying to do the last three miles, then found out only a C-47 had made it.

Hopefully people who went in the afternoon got to see something. We were only there two weeks ago when my folks were in town so it was a pointless drive out to Dulles made pleasant because we were in an i8.

Later on in the day the A-26, Texan, Mustang, and Kitty hawk were there.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

C.M. Kruger posted:

This was in the related videos section, swingin' tunes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEMi04eXju8

Didn't realize the F-16's wings flexed that much in a turn. (most visible at around 2:09)

That F16 pilot looks like he's laying down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Tide posted:

That F16 pilot looks like he's laying down

The F-16 seat is reclined something like 30 degrees. This is either to give better G tolerance, or because the cockpit isn't big enough to fit the ejection seat when mounted straighter, depending on who is explaining it.