Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That article justified my purchase of the Nexus 6, my mother owned a Nexus 5, lots of people love the Nexus 7, I've met people who used Nexus 4s as well.

In short: what?

Yeah I don't think anyone's saying "don't buy a nexus" but AFAIK the Nexus 6 has not sold well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spincube posted:

Directly selling user data? No. Enabling the sale of .99 battery-life-embiggener apps that need to read your contacts, Wifi connections and your precise location, though?

Which is why they're introducing finer-grained privacy controls. What exactly is your point?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It was virtually impossible to buy a nexus 6 in Canada until recently.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

It was virtually impossible to buy a nexus 6 in Canada until recently.

Uh, I ordered mine from Rogers on release day and got it about 3-4 weeks later. What are you talking about?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Rogers business services didn't have it until recently.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cultural Imperial posted:

Rogers business services didn't have it until recently.

I got mine from Business Services, I'm an enterprise employee price plan customer.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I bought my nexus 4 and 5 straight from the play store.

They're good phones, except the display was fused to the glass on the 4, so when I cracked the screen it was bricked. Also, the USB port on my 5 wore out in less than 18 months, and the headphone jack crackles like a bitch when the cord moves. I guess those are problems with lg rather than Google, though.

A Motorola made 6 would be nice, but for some reason they decided to make a phone that was twice the price as the 5, so gently caress that.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

radiatinglines posted:

I bought my nexus 4 and 5 straight from the play store.

They're good phones, except the display was fused to the glass on the 4, so when I cracked the screen it was bricked. Also, the USB port on my 5 wore out in less than 18 months, and the headphone jack crackles like a bitch when the cord moves. I guess those are problems with lg rather than Google, though.

A Motorola made 6 would be nice, but for some reason they decided to make a phone that was twice the price as the 5, so gently caress that.

I'd like some solid info on this year's Nexus so I can convince myself to not just go ahead and get an N6 in the place of my G3, which is what I should have done back in December.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
What's the deal with the LG G4? The specs seem marginally worse than last year's Note 4 but with a slightly better camera and LEATHER!

I just want an S6 with a removable battery :( .

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

frozenpeas posted:

What's the deal with the LG G4? The specs seem marginally worse than last year's Note 4 but with a slightly better camera and LEATHER!

I just want an S6 with a removable battery :( .

Here at least it is always significantly cheaper than Samsung for similar specs (only unlocked phones are available).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I recently bought the Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML, and it's really nice. Love the screen, the ZenUI isn't obtrusive and looks nice, love double-tapping the screen to switch it on, camera seems good to me, feels good in my hand, no problems at all. Price is wonderful. Not too sure about the battery yet, but then this is my first phone I haven't rooted and used Greenify on, so maybe it's actually OK? Also I had those big Zerolemon batteries, so it's going to be weird having to charge my phone every day again.

So that's my short review!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

radiatinglines posted:

They're good phones, except the display was fused to the glass on the 4, so when I cracked the screen it was bricked.

That's like every phone for the past 3-4 years at least.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Which is why they're introducing finer-grained privacy controls. What exactly is your point?

...from a wide-open, wishy-washy say-nothing rumour from 'people familiar with the matter'. Meanwhile they had finer-grained privacy controls within Android, it was already a thing - but they fixed that little App Ops 'error' with a point release.

It's not like anyone could unknowingly break their phone as you had to be aware it was a thing you wanted and could do, you had to know what it allowed you to do, and you had to go out there, search for and download the stub app needed to access the thing.

My point is that if Google were seriously interested in user privacy they'd get serious about permission settings on the developer's side on Google Play, rather than turning the tables and making it an issue you, the consumer have to fix instead. This would require active curation of the Play store, and the implicit acknowledgement that not all apps available on the Play store are entirely honest about the privacy of their users' data, neither of which I can see happening.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

...from a wide-open, wishy-washy say-nothing rumour from 'people familiar with the matter'. Meanwhile they had finer-grained privacy controls within Android, it was already a thing - but they fixed that little App Ops 'error' with a point release.

It's not like anyone could unknowingly break their phone as you had to be aware it was a thing you wanted and could do, you had to know what it allowed you to do, and you had to go out there, search for and download the stub app needed to access the thing.

My point is that if Google were seriously interested in user privacy they'd get serious about permission settings on the developer's side on Google Play, rather than turning the tables and making it an issue you, the consumer have to fix instead. This would require active curation of the Play store, and the implicit acknowledgement that not all apps available on the Play store are entirely honest about the privacy of their users' data, neither of which I can see happening.

Um, the Play Store is already actively curated. Any other predictions for things Google won't do while you've got quite the streak going?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The App Ops kerfuffle is so silly, it was not a published feature and people need to get over it that Google hid it. If you needed to get a stub app off the store to enable it, and that app did not come from Google, its not an official feature and you should not rely on its existence.

Developers were not informed of it and how to make apps gracefully fail if permissions were revoked.

So they can make a clean break of it in API level 23 and basically provide app developers an incentive to update to fix their poo poo. They can put APIs in the M release that allow you to degrade gracefully if the user revoked permissions.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Any app that can turn canned message answers into this screen ?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Um, the Play Store is already actively curated. Any other predictions for things Google won't do while you've got quite the streak going?

Hey, you're right. I wish Google were better at communicating these things, though, because looking through a quick search of the store for 'flashlight' there's still poo poo like this - updated within the last month even - that has permissions requested that would give me pause.

kitten smoothie posted:

If you needed to get a stub app off the store to enable it, and that app did not come from Google, its not an official feature and you should not rely on its existence.

Developers were not informed of it and how to make apps gracefully fail if permissions were revoked.

I'm of the opinion that people who'd know why/how to end up fiddling with permissions through App Ops would also know to put two and two together if one of their commonly-used apps starts crashing all of a sudden.

Believe me, if an App Ops-like returns in Android 6.0 Marlboro Cigarettes Edition I'll be over the moon, but I don't think it's likely: 'we already vet your apps so you don't need to', and so forth.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Mother.of.god.

quote:

Identity
find accounts on the device

Photos/Media/Files
modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
read the contents of your USB storage

Camera
take pictures and videos

Wi-Fi connection information
view Wi-Fi connections

Device ID & call information
read phone status and identity

Other
download files without notification
read Home settings and shortcuts
control flashlight
draw over other apps
prevent device from sleeping
run at startup
change network connectivity
connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
full network access
view network connections
modify system settings
install shortcuts
Empty your bank account
Rape your mom
Rape you sister
gently caress your dog, but nicely
Use your toothbrush to clean the dog's rear end in a top hat
Piss in your Corn Flakes

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Spatule posted:

Mother.of.god.
Thing has an inbuilt update checker for some dumb reason, which could probably account for the majority of those permissions. Draw over apps is probably to use the "screen flashlight". I imagine it does something like lux, but I'm not about to try the app to find out.

It's hard to say if they're malicious though, or just like cramming a lot of features into what could be a very simple app.

The developer also apparently has an app that claims to extend your battery life with up to 70%. Yeah.

also a speed booster lol

quote:

Improvements in V2.4.7
1.New acceleration optimization for smoother performance.
2.Update game folder and accelerate your game speeds up to 30%.
3.Game folder list supports custom sorting.
4.Optimized more details.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

spincube posted:

I'm of the opinion that people who'd know why/how to end up fiddling with permissions through App Ops would also know to put two and two together if one of their commonly-used apps starts crashing all of a sudden.

Once you're out of that screen and an app crashes, you are way more inclined to believe it's the app's fault.

If the operating system provides the user an option to enable a feature which causes apps to crash without indication as to why, then that is a failure of the operating system. Full stop. The technical sophistication of the user enabling the feature and their potential ability to diagnose the problem means jack poo poo.

Suppose you block Uber from seeing your location because you only use it while traveling, and you're worried they might track your location while the app isn't running (I know a person who only installs Uber while traveling, and uninstalls it afterward, for this particular reason). A month later you've forgotten you've done this, you're traveling, you open Uber to get a car, and it crashes. You blame the app and write a 1-star review, even though the app had zero opportunity to say "hey you've disabled location for us, we can't get you a car unless you turn it back on."

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

Once you're out of that screen and an app crashes, you are way more inclined to believe it's the app's fault.

If the operating system provides the user an option to enable a feature which causes apps to crash without indication as to why, then that is a failure of the operating system. Full stop. The technical sophistication of the user enabling the feature and their potential ability to diagnose the problem means jack poo poo.

Suppose you block Uber from seeing your location because you only use it while traveling, and you're worried they might track your location while the app isn't running (I know a person who only installs Uber while traveling, and uninstalls it afterward, for this particular reason). A month later you've forgotten you've done this, you're traveling, you open Uber to get a car, and it crashes. You blame the app and write a 1-star review, even though the app had zero opportunity to say "hey you've disabled location for us, we can't get you a car unless you turn it back on."

If you try and use Google maps navigation without having high accuracy GPS enabled, it prompts you to enable it. Couldn't apps do something similar?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

this_is_hard posted:

If you try and use Google maps navigation without having high accuracy GPS enabled, it prompts you to enable it. Couldn't apps do something similar?

If Android offered APIs to allow developers the information to fail gracefully in every case where permissions were denied, yes. The problem was that App Ops as it existed in 4.3 did not provide this.

I imagine that what will happen, if they ship this, is that you'll only be able to manage permissions on apps that target API level 23/M. The APIs will be the carrot to upgrade and gracefully handle permission denial. The stick will be that users will be less likely to download apps that don't target 23 and can't have permissions managed at all.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 9, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spincube posted:

This is so wrong.

This is the reason we won't support people with rooted phones in this or the app thread...people don't understand that root can break things, they forget that they're rooted, they don't want to admit they broke it, and a dozen other things that all also apply to people using App Ops.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kitten smoothie posted:

If Android offered APIs to allow developers the information to fail gracefully in every case where permissions were denied, yes. The problem was that App Ops as it existed in 4.3 did not provide this.

I imagine that what will happen, if they ship this, is that you'll only be able to manage permissions on apps that target API level 23/M. The APIs will be the carrot to upgrade and gracefully handle permission denial. The stick will be that users will be less likely to download apps that don't target 23 and can't have permissions managed at all.

This functionality already exists, there just isn't much of an incentive for developers to check it at the moment since permission is given when you install the app. They could provide a prompt asking the user if they would like to enable gps (or any system provider).

I think it's something like this(I haven't used it in awhile): LocationManager.isProviderEnabled(LocationManager.GPS_PROVIDER)

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 9, 2015

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Why don't group messages in Hangouts show up as being a group message and instead as a message from an individual person? When i reply I'm not even sure if it's going to the group or the individual (I'm assuming the later). It wasn't always this way, but since I get group messages so infrequently I can't tell if it was due to a Hangouts update, Google Voice, Lollipop update or what.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Group messages in Hangouts work fine for me. I'm still on KitKat, so maybe it has to do with Lollipop.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Merkinman posted:

Why don't group messages in Hangouts show up as being a group message and instead as a message from an individual person? When i reply I'm not even sure if it's going to the group or the individual (I'm assuming the later). It wasn't always this way, but since I get group messages so infrequently I can't tell if it was due to a Hangouts update, Google Voice, Lollipop update or what.

I don't know of I've ever got a group message, but my wife just got one this morning and it was exactly as you say. It's weird and wrong.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Merkinman posted:

Google Voice doesn't support group message MMS yet.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

nimper posted:

Google Voice doesn't support group message MMS yet.

I can confirm that I am part of a group message sent this morning, and the other 3 people have iPhones. Works fine in Hangouts on my end.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

nocal posted:

I can confirm that I am part of a group message sent this morning, and the other 3 people have iPhones. Works fine in Hangouts on my end.

Are you using Google Voice?

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

teagone posted:

Are you using Google Voice?

No

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

People experiencing the problem are.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Well then that's why you're in a group SMS with other people on other devices ;)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Ugh - trying to deal with a Huawei G630 my mate has just bought and it only has 1GB of space in which to install apps.

This is completely unworkable and just crazy on a device (even a low end one) that was released in 2014.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dissss posted:

Ugh - trying to deal with a Huawei G630 my mate has just bought and it only has 1GB of space in which to install apps.

This is completely unworkable and just crazy on a device (even a low end one) that was released in 2014.

How soon is just? Buyer's remorse it and get a usable phone.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

dissss posted:

Uh yeah, take that poo poo back if you can because that's unusable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dissss posted:

Huawei is like THE manufacturer when it comes to the term "Shenzhen Special."

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

dissss posted:

Some apps are larger than that. On their own.

Old SD cards (back when they were just SD without fancy letters) got bigger than that.

I'm a little surprised (not much, but a little) that Trading Standards / Consumer Affairs didn't have anything to say.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 10, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Some apps are larger than that. On their own. I wonder what Trading Standards / Consumer Affairs would think.

Probably that the phone clearly stated its internal storage, with the disclaimer that not all storage is user accessible. How is it anyone's mistake but the person that bought a bottom of the barrel phone and expected something better quality? Someone that just uses their phone to call, text, and email would probably be happy they could buy something cheap that worked for them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Huawei is like THE manufacturer when it comes to the term "Shenzhen Special."

And they're rumored to be making the next Nexus. :v: