Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, some poor Officer doing PR for the Jade Helm exercises gets grilled by :tinfoil: during a town meeting.

http://video.statesman.com/Bastrop-residents-challenge-Army-colonel-in-Jade-Helm-briefing-28960637

I'm honestly surprised they didn't start throwing poo poo at him. And I bet every single one of those people has a SUPPORT ARE TROOPS sticker on their pickups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

twistedmentat posted:

So, some poor Officer doing PR for the Jade Helm exercises gets grilled by :tinfoil: during a town meeting.

The confident smile of the common ignoramus is such a discouraging sight to behold. Then again, a year from now, all of these yokels will have to come up with convoluted explanations for why nothing happened.

That said, best of luck to our Lizard Men in uniform as they bravely enact martial law.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

Then again, a year from now, all of these yokels will have to come up with convoluted explanations for why nothing happened.
I saved democracy from Obama by calling out Jade Helm 15 :smug:

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Animal-Mother posted:

Then again, a year from now, all of these yokels will have to come up with convoluted explanations for why nothing happened.

:freep: "The fearless and decisive actions of the Texas State Guard scared the Federal Military into abandoning the plan." There, done.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
the gently caress is jade helm? is that some kinda anti-communist drill they got going on?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Fairly sure it's a nickname for a penis.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

the gently caress is jade helm? is that some kinda anti-communist drill they got going on?

The feds are going to invade Texas, kicking off Civil War 2: March Further

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I thought it was one of the crops in dwarf fortress?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
its plump helmets!!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

illrepute posted:

The feds are going to invade Texas, kicking off Civil War 2: March Further

and folks are...against this? why would you be against this?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Unfortunately a large chunk of the United States, military, even that from non-Confederate states, is basically composed of neo-Confederates now.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
That's why the US should rely on the help of less-insane allies whose armies... oh right.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

blowfish posted:

That's why the US should rely on the help of less-insane allies whose armies... oh right.

You're right.

When America is down for the count, the only allies we can depend on are England and Israel.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's basically some sort of training exercise involves the special forces that is happening across several states. It's apparently a bit secretive (because it involves, you know, THE SPECIAL loving FORCES) so some details aren't public but the right wing is losing their minds over it and claiming Oblammo is going to use it to invade conservative states and invoke martial law. Because if you want to do that you totally use units that make up a rather small amount of the army like special forces.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's basically some sort of training exercise involves the special forces that is happening across several states. It's apparently a bit secretive (because it involves, you know, THE SPECIAL loving FORCES) so some details aren't public but the right wing is losing their minds over it and claiming Oblammo is going to use it to invade conservative states and invoke martial law. Because if you want to do that you totally use units that make up a rather small amount of the army like special forces.

so why not call it Antiterrrorist Drill 15?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

My Imaginary GF posted:

so why not call it Antiterrrorist Drill 15?

The military likes wacky code names. It always has.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
with the level of :freep: surrounding exercise "oh god our military actually does exercises" I kind of wish they'd actually march on town halls to see how many crazy militias start firing

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Industry also likes wacky code names. It's a great way to refer to a project so that you can discuss it in public without anyone outside of the company knowing what you're talking about. I assume it's a similar thing for the military.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dirk the Average posted:

Industry also likes wacky code names. It's a great way to refer to a project so that you can discuss it in public without anyone outside of the company knowing what you're talking about. I assume it's a similar thing for the military.

Yup. And the military actually has quite a lot of very good reasons to be secretive. Plus if somebody finds out "the military is doing something named Purple Goat Balls 37" they've effectively learned nothing.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Are there websites that track like infowars.com predictions and then compares them to reality? I think that would be funny.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Code names are easier to remember than random numbers. Companies often code-name products and their components with goofy movie themes and things. It works.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 10, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Wasn't one of Enron's plots to steal money from everyone called Operation Chewbacca?

The Poltoons thread has a lot of cartoons related to Jade Helm, did the Governor really call out the Texas National guard? Also, Chuck Norris's official asskicker status is revoked, I say we replace him with Kurt Russell. He hasn't thrown his had in with crazy people yet.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The governor called out the Texas state guard irl, which is different and I guess less likely to side with the evil gay brown democrat yankee forces or something

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

asdf32 posted:

Are there websites that track like infowars.com predictions and then compares them to reality? I think that would be funny.

There's this.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

The governor called out the Texas state guard irl, which is different and I guess less likely to side with the evil gay brown democrat yankee forces or something

The national guard is generally beholden to the states they exist in if memory serves. So each state has its own set of guard units which are made up of locals that are in theory more loyal to their home states than the federal government. Granted in this case it's far more likely the government is deploying the guard to make it look like he's standing up to the evil federal government rather than actually standing up to it. It's a dumb thing to do but given the Tea Party beast that the GOP unleashed and how far down Insanity Ln. the right is expected to be right now it isn't really surprising. That's the state that gave us Cruz, after all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The national guard is generally beholden to the states they exist in if memory serves. So each state has its own set of guard units which are made up of locals that are in theory more loyal to their home states than the federal government. Granted in this case it's far more likely the government is deploying the guard to make it look like he's standing up to the evil federal government rather than actually standing up to it. It's a dumb thing to do but given the Tea Party beast that the GOP unleashed and how far down Insanity Ln. the right is expected to be right now it isn't really surprising. That's the state that gave us Cruz, after all.

The national guard can be taken over by the President. There is a separate State Guard that can't be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't one of Enron's plots to steal money from everyone called Operation Chewbacca?

The Poltoons thread has a lot of cartoons related to Jade Helm, did the Governor really call out the Texas National guard? Also, Chuck Norris's official asskicker status is revoked, I say we replace him with Kurt Russell. He hasn't thrown his had in with crazy people yet.

Most of Enron's plots were named after Star Wars poo poo, yes

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

computer parts posted:

The national guard can be taken over by the President. There is a separate State Guard that can't be.

Yes, this, The Texas State Guard is NOT the Texas National Guard and my post was meant to disambiguate that point.

He called out THESE people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_State_Guard
Not THESE people: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Army_National_Guard

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had no idea there was another state level military force in the US. Though at least they are meant to simply be an augment to the other forces, and a more local response team. Not some kind of defense against the vile and evil Gay Commie Feminist Black Federal Government.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twistedmentat posted:

I had no idea there was another state level military force in the US. Though at least they are meant to simply be an augment to the other forces, and a more local response team. Not some kind of defense against the vile and evil Gay Commie Feminist Black Federal Government.

Yeah they're basically the descendants of the original State Militias formed immediately after the US itself formed. That whole thing where nobody trusted a federal military in peacetime and all.

Most states had them up until the early 20th century, when most of them slowly started getting converted into National Guard organization where they were directly connected to the now permanent standing federal military, which is why most states haven't had any state-only forces in a long time.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
For the most part there wasn't a federal military. That came later. I wanna say after the disastrous War of 1812. Other states, especially ex-confederate ones, kept the tradition going.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Well, there was a federal military, but it was really really really really tiny, almost uselessly tiny.
After the revolution the army was disbanded except for an artillery unit and a small regiment to protect the borders from natives. By 1791 the US had a standing army though it was still just really goddamned small. Like was completely useless to any organized invasion by foreign powers

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

For the most part there wasn't a federal military. That came later. I wanna say after the disastrous War of 1812. Other states, especially ex-confederate ones, kept the tradition going.

Even then most of the "military" was militia units that could be called up when necessary. The large, standing, professional army full of full-time soldiers is, historically speaking, a very recent thing. Part of the reason individual states and various localities had militias and armies was because for most of human history there was a strong need to have local people ready to fight at a moment's notice to fend of raiders or unruly neighbors. For the most part by the time the message got to some sort of central leadership the problem had already came, hosed everything up, and left.

Part of it was the U.S. clinging to that idea. Which kind of indicates how deliberately backward the South was. Slavery and serfdom started to vanish around the same time as huge professional armies started to show up. The South wanted to live in the past where almost everything was done locally and central governments were a thing that occasionally showed up to collect a few taxes or round up some dudes out of the levy. The South decided that the old way of doing things would always be the best.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. And the military actually has quite a lot of very good reasons to be secretive. Plus if somebody finds out "the military is doing something named Purple Goat Balls 37" they've effectively learned nothing.

Except for the Japanese Imperial Military.

Invasion of Java: Operation J
Invasion of Midway: Operation Mi
Invasion of Port Moresby: Operation Mo
Invasion of the Aleutian Islands: Operation Al

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

CeeJee posted:

Except for the Japanese Imperial Military.

Invasion of Java: Operation J
Invasion of Midway: Operation Mi
Invasion of Port Moresby: Operation Mo
Invasion of the Aleutian Islands: Operation Al

Maybe their plan was to make it so that if anyone thought they'd figured it out, they second-guessed themselves because it can't be that easy.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Is there any good book about all these really stupid conspiracy theories? From a rational point of view, obviously.

I've become interested in knowing more about how these people reason as an older acquaintance has recently become obsessed by this crap. He's gone from buying huge amounts of gold and silver (luckily, his computer illiteracy stopped him from buying any bitcoins), to watching every goddamn video on youtube about how the jews caused 9/11 and the Boston bombings were staged :freep:

From a few pages back, http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Under-Control-Conspiracies-Cover-ups/dp/0062734172 was published in 1998 and is a fascinating read if you want to know what the conspiracy crowd was doing before the internet.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I say we replace him with Kurt Russell. He hasn't thrown his had in with crazy people yet.

I have some bad news...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4IjHz2yIo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Welp, we know what President Jack Burton wanted us to call.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Throwing Turtles posted:

From a few pages back, http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Under-Control-Conspiracies-Cover-ups/dp/0062734172 was published in 1998 and is a fascinating read if you want to know what the conspiracy crowd was doing before the internet.

Seconded. That's basically the greatest bathroom book a Kook Fancier could own.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Seconded. That's basically the greatest bathroom book a Kook Fancier could own.

Honestly almost everything from RAW is hilarious conspiracy-related stuff. That book is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Under the vegetable posted:

Honestly almost everything from RAW is hilarious conspiracy-related stuff. That book is great.

I still maintain Pope Bob's view on conspiracy theories, which is essentially of course there are big nefarious conspiracies being done by the people in power. There are a lot of them and they don't all overlap and a lot of them are in opposition to each other.

The problem the average conspiracy fancier gets in to is trying to take the insane amount of evil and subterfuge and underhanded dealing that government and business do by nature and connect them into some universal conspiracy where the bad guys are a monolithic organization we can beat instead of a bunch of decentralized elites at war with each other.

• Locked thread