Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

are masters degrees really worth a drat

i work for a federal agency where if you have a bachelors you can get certain jobs and if you have a doctorate you can get slightly better ones

masters play absolutely no part in anything

is it different in the private sector

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
im also partial to whiskey

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

In New Hope he's a crochety old dude who has no problem making inappropriate remarks about Sand People.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Il Federale posted:

i work for a federal agency where if you have a bachelors you can get certain jobs and if you have a doctorate you can get better ones

masters play absolutely no part in anything

is it different in the private sector

masters are far more useful than undergrad degrees depending on what masters your getting/where your getting it/whether or not your next promotion depends on having that dumb piece of paper (in which case try to get your job to eat some of the costs for getting the masters)

my mum has 3 separate masters because of the latter caveat

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
drat SAND PEOPLE

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

what happened posted:

drat SAND PEOPLE

lucas was truly ahead of the time

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
he was truly a modern visionary

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i think masters are important in psychiatry.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

what happened posted:

im also partial to whiskey

the one good thing i can for sure say about living in atlanta is being introduced to sweetwater ipa

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
what degree by it's very existence unsettles you the most? for me it's masters of fine art for really anything except like cgi animation or something

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

nutranurse posted:

whether or not your next promotion depends on having that dumb piece of paper

technically my job does this, but im pretty sure nobody takes it into consideration for promotions

theres always some weird caveat based on "experience" or the type of bachelors you have that counteracts it

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
ugh, right near my earlobes is probably the worse place possible to have acne. my entire left ear and left side of my neck are killing me right now :suicide:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

what degree by it's very existence unsettles you the most? for me it's masters of fine art for really anything except like cgi animation or something

if im ever rich enough to just be able to do it i'd pursue an MFA b/c the workshopping aspects of it prolly really helps writers

but then again i just could look really really really hard for a good writers group :shrug:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

but to answer your question: communications degrees

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jagchosis posted:

Communications bachelors. Any law degree. Any business degree.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nutranurse posted:

i cannot loving imagine how much money that guy lost. one of the good things i can say about my alma mater is that it was mad cheap living in a dead town in pennsyltucky

where at in there?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Il Federale posted:

they can be good if you want to become a teacher

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

forbidden lesbian posted:

its me, im the person who did well on the SAT without prep courses

me too but also my family has money and i had tons of non prep course advantages because of it

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

where at in there?

meadville

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i know a couple people with communications degrees and bizarrely enough they're both actually using them. one works for some stupid social media wankery fuckshit firm and the other does PR for an anti-rape advocacy organization

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

nutranurse posted:

ok that's better kind of

is spending $250k on a single degree really better

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I got a nearly perfect score on my SATs without any prep at all and I hosed up so much in college I'm only getting my degree a decade later. GPA is probably a much better metric than SATs in pretty much everyway.

also this is me but im on year 5 and still dont have it but probably will before 5 years from now

im annoyed at myself because if i can write that effortpost from earlier i can write papers but noooooooo anxiety and depression gotta poo poo all over it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

holy christ that's nowhere.

but still that ain't pennslytucky, it's ohio east, which is its own flavor of poo poo entirely

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

i know a couple people with communications degrees and bizarrely enough they're both actually using them. one works for some stupid social media wankery fuckshit firm and the other does PR for an anti-rape advocacy organization

those two orgs sound the same to me :mrapig:

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
I just started watching season 2 of Danger 5

Pierre suddenly being a different person and ethnicity was somewhat confusing at first, though it's nice to see he's retained his proclivity for having an anthropomorphic animal for a best friend

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Badger of Basra posted:

is spending $250k on a single degree really better

It is if the diploma is solid gold and encrusted in jewels.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

LorrdErnie posted:

also this is me but im on year 5 and still dont have it but probably will before 5 years from now

im annoyed at myself because if i can write that effortpost from earlier i can write papers but noooooooo anxiety and depression gotta poo poo all over it

if its any consolation my wife majored in women's studies too and she'll be getting good compensation eventually (cos she's in med school now)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Jagchosis, please post photos of your wondrous jeweled diploma, one of the treasures of legend.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Pierre suddenly being a different person and ethnicity was somewhat confusing at first, though it's nice to see he's retained his proclivity for having an anthropomorphic animal for a best friend

i thought i would hate this based on the preview trailer but i actually liked him

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It is if the diploma is solid gold and encrusted in jewels.

weird its made of solid turd and encrusted in tears

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jagchosis posted:

weird its made of solid turd and encrusted in tears

Never mind, no photos please.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jagchosis posted:

what degree by it's very existence unsettles you the most?

communication

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pierre suddenly being a different person and ethnicity was somewhat confusing at first

what are you talking about :confused: its the same guy

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

if its any consolation my wife majored in women's studies too and she'll be getting good compensation eventually (cos she's in med school now)

i work for a law enforcement agency and have a pretty good paying job even though my degree is in political science, one of the most worthless degrees out there

meanwhile the people who actually got a criminal justice degree cant get promoted at all

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

but still that ain't pennslytucky, it's ohio east, which is its own flavor of poo poo entirely

ive seen more confederate flags in meadville than i have in ga proper, so its pennsyltucky insofar as im concerned

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Jagchosis posted:

i actually have zero debt because one of my grandfathers was an actual honesttogod american dream story

i can even do another year before i have to take any on i think id have to doublecheck

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Il Federale posted:

i work for a law enforcement agency and have a pretty good paying job even though my degree is in political science, one of the most worthless degrees out there

meanwhile the people who actually got a criminal justice degree cant get promoted at all

criminal justice: my ambition is to be a cop, but i feel like i have to go to college first anyway

hello yes, i have a degree in industrial equipment operation, this is ted, he has a degree in vehicular theory and practice

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

but yeah i did spend a lot of time in ohio

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
sports medicine: nursing, but for manly men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I love black pierre, wait till you get to the time travelling

• Locked thread