Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

keeping this thread alive

What env are you using? Atmel studio or something with WinAVR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

What env are you using? Atmel studio or something with WinAVR?
Atmel studio, though I was looking at using Crosspack so I don't have to rely on a windows VM.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Atmel studio, though I was looking at using Crosspack so I don't have to rely on a windows VM.

Why not just run it natively in Windows? Is the VM just an easy way to keep it separated?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

maniacdevnull posted:

Why not just run it natively in Windows? Is the VM just an easy way to keep it separated?
Because I don't need the performance gains that Boot Camp affords over the inconvenience of not being able to use my primary OS at the same time

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Because I don't need the performance gains that Boot Camp affords over the inconvenience of not being able to use my primary OS at the same time

it sounds like your primary operating system may be a piece of poo poo

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bloody posted:

possible

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Bloody posted:

My thoughts exactly

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why does this pos toolchain not seem to support sysemverilog? what year is it???

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bloody posted:

why does this pos toolchain not seem to support sysemverilog? what year is it???

in fpgaland it is always 1993

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

that explains all the tcl i guess

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

making good, useful test benches is hard, annoying

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
i am terribly afraid i did something unkind to this imx6's usb port. can't even get it to show up as a device to bootload it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

added to the list of things that are impossible to google for: an embedded linux as a usb host of another embedded device with a usb->serial bridge

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bloody posted:

are you a fellow Xilinx victim? i've been experimenting with synthesizable sv in vivado recently and it's actually working out p good so far. not using that many sv features yet so maybe i'll run into some bullshit idk

i did notice one trivial thing that works fine in synthesis but not in xilinx's toy bullshit simulator:

logic foo = bar && greeble;

any attempt to combine declaration of type logic with a continuous assignment produces X till the end of time even if inputs are logic 1/0

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I wonder if, 10 years from now, the FPGA environments will all be local web garbage running in an app shell and written with node.js

it seems like the sort of tech backwardness the vendors would embrace, especially after the rest of the industry has moved on

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

eschaton posted:

I wonder if, 10 years from now, the FPGA environments will all be local web garbage running in an app shell and written with node.js

it seems like the sort of tech backwardness the vendors would embrace, especially after the rest of the industry has moved on

given that vivado is a java app, yes, this is exactly what fpga tooling will be like 10 years from now

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Arcsech posted:

given that vivado is a java app, yes, this is exactly what fpga tooling will be like 10 years from now

:colbert: this isn't a crime in and of itself, java is a fine lang to house this sort of tooling

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

eschaton posted:

cadence is offering something like that

upload your verilog & test bench, they'll run it for you and you can check results on a dashboard

on the one hand i'd absolutely love to chuck a random SW instance onto a new HW design and just hear back if it was a pass/fail, over here in reality i know it'd devolve into trying to debug some goofy bullshit at arm's length

BobHoward posted:

how do you feel about mountain view and/or satan clara
not violently opposed, i'll hit you up if/when i start looking for a new job

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

BobHoward posted:

are you a fellow Xilinx victim? i've been experimenting with synthesizable sv in vivado recently and it's actually working out p good so far. not using that many sv features yet so maybe i'll run into some bullshit idk

i did notice one trivial thing that works fine in synthesis but not in xilinx's toy bullshit simulator:

logic foo = bar && greeble;

any attempt to combine declaration of type logic with a continuous assignment produces X till the end of time even if inputs are logic 1/0

nope, microsemi. it's a relatively harmless tool chain but also relatively useless

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ok, starting to dig into fabscalar, which generates parameterized superscalar cores

i have an atlys2 board, had to download the old ISE to compile for it. i have dummy projects compiling, starting to feed the fabscalar stuff into it. the fpga shims aren't released yet, so my first shot at compiling it took an hour for it to figure out every bit was unnecessary and produce a .bit file with zero gates

so i need that shim. before that, i ought to be able to simulate the thing. i don't have ncvlog that it's assuming, so i grabbed icarus verilog thinking it would do just fine in simulation. it's failing on a concatenation where they do an inline addition in the decoder:
code:
          instDest_1      = {(instruction[`SIZE_RT+`SIZE_RD+`SIZE_RU-1:`SIZE_RD+`SIZE_RU]+1),1'b1};
looks specific to macrofusion, adjusting where things go. i'm pretty sure they just want to drop the extra bit from the add and other tools are just throwing a warning and moving on, but icarus is complaining about "ambiguous width" and i've been banging against it long enough to not care enough about writing the explicit lines out to strip the bits

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JawnV6 posted:

so i grabbed icarus verilog thinking it would do just fine in simulation. it's failing on a concatenation where they do an inline addition in the decoder:
code:
          instDest_1      = {(instruction[`SIZE_RT+`SIZE_RD+`SIZE_RU-1:`SIZE_RD+`SIZE_RU]+1),1'b1};

looks specific to macrofusion, adjusting where things go. i'm pretty sure they just want to drop the extra bit from the add and other tools are just throwing a warning and moving on, but icarus is complaining about "ambiguous width" and i've been banging against it long enough to not care enough about writing the explicit lines out to strip the bits

other than this, how are you finding Icarus Verilog? I've been planning to use it for learning this summer, but I don't want to waste my time if it's poo poo.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
lol trick question everything is poo poo

i actually did the tmp var to shave off a bit that night. a couple hours later after getting the verilog built (there were some other minor issues with it being over-pedantic) I wasn't able to get the VPI stuff compiled or linked or whatever you'd call that. tried importing the g++ built lib, tried compiling from source with the icarus VPI compiler, nothing really clicked

it wouldn't be too bad starting a new design, but i'm taking a legacy code base without support and i haven't been able to recreate the simulation they did with ncvlog. I'm assuming ncvlog is the kind of tool every uni has an install kicking around so there's no need for icarus support from this particular team

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ncvlog is the Verilog compiler from Cadence Incisive Simulator -- mega loving bucks. used it heavily for a good 4 years before switching to QuestaSim,

at one point I tracked down the original firm that they assimilated into there, but don't remember what it is -- that's where the nc- prefix for all the tools comes from.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Bloody posted:

okay so the question that prompted this thread is like so usually when i wanna get bytes out of a computer into a thing i use like an ftdi usb-uart or similar. but what if i want to get data in/out faster?? how do i do like real usb or ethernet as painlessly as possible??

this loving question/problem haunts me like every two months or so and i still do not have a useful solution

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

all i want are ftdi chips and serial ports that can run, like, 10-50x faster than extant ftdi chips and serial ports why is that so much to ask for

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no i don't want to implement a sgmii interface or whatever the hell ulpi thing for usb i just want to fart bits in one end and have them plop out the other dang it

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bloody posted:

this loving question/problem haunts me like every two months or so and i still do not have a useful solution

find a SoC that abstracts as much of that poo poo away as possible

an RMII IC + Kinetis K6* series chips + their little Kinetis Design Studio thing will generate the ethernet related calls at whatever level you're comfortable with

then you just be like

Ethernet_SendBytes(buffer, buffer_size);

there's no easy solution that doesn't have tradeoffs.

option 2: become a master of the USB 2.0 spec, a curse i wish upon no one

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

serial ports can do a megabit, 10 times faster is 10baseT

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

also true

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

ftdi serial ports can do 10 mbit at least at burst. i need to do 20 mbps continuously, and ideally with a clear pathway towards as much as 100

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mido posted:

find a SoC that abstracts as much of that poo poo away as possible

an RMII IC + Kinetis K6* series chips + their little Kinetis Design Studio thing will generate the ethernet related calls at whatever level you're comfortable with

then you just be like

Ethernet_SendBytes(buffer, buffer_size);

there's no easy solution that doesn't have tradeoffs.

option 2: become a master of the USB 2.0 spec, a curse i wish upon no one

if there are easy solutions where the tradeoff is throwing money at it, im all ears

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

ftdi serial ports can do 10 mbit at least at burst. i need to do 20 mbps continuously, and ideally with a clear pathway towards as much as 100

whats the host controller

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

an fpga or fpga-containing soc. literally whatever makes this the least painful. basically there's a bunch of adcs that need to get their poo poo into a pc and those adcs are pretty quick

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ethernet is a pretty simple protocol; http://www.fpga4fun.com/10BASE-T.html

we did something like that on FPGAs in a digital logic lab in school

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also, the cypress ez-usb fx2 or the USB3 version (creatively named fx3) owns: http://www.cypress.com/?id=193

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

also, the cypress ez-usb fx2 or the USB3 version (creatively named fx3) owns: http://www.cypress.com/?id=193

scanning through the fx3's info and it looks like a serious case of yes yeS yES YES, thank

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah we use the fx3 for a very high frame rate camera, it legit owns. its pricey, though it sounds like you don't care about bom atm

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

someone made a Haskell-based hardware description language of some sort

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i've got the fabscalar simulator 1 file away from working. the specific failure is:
../../libss-vpi/lib.src/misc.cc:84:3: error: C-style cast from 'char **' to 'va_list' (aka '__builtin_va_list') is not allowed

so a dodgy cast in the command line parsing section of the C code being compiled to be called from the simulated HDL is why i can't get this thing built

does haskell lend itself to pipelining?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:mrgw: looks like my name is on someone's short list for good emb-c devs

looks like i might soon be quoting some startup $60/hr for 2 weeks of side-job work writing some low level drivers to poll adcs on command, easy $1.5k i'll be chatting with them tomorrow about more specifics

edit: yes $60/hr is really really low

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 10, 2015

• Locked thread