Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

The Lord Bude posted:

Pinto beans and black beans aren't exactly common - I bought quite large bags (a kilo or 2) from a deli specializing in Spanish/Italian/mexican/American stuff. I haven't found anywhere else that sells them (I bought them for Chilli) they only cost a few dollars each. E
Yeah, pinto and black beans are hard to get in Australia, hard enough that there's no guarantee of their freshness, and never seen them canned either. I've never bought them for these reasons.
In Perth I've seen pinto and GN beans at some markets and health food shops, but rarely. The only place that lists black beans is a weigh and pay shop in Woodvale, but that's too far for me. Mexican and Caribbean cuisine is too rare here. I usually just buy red kidney beans, cannellini beans, and black eyed peas as they are the easiest to get.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I don't see people talking about bulgur in this thread, and I want to change that.

Bulgur is a whole-grain cereal that is common in rural Turkish cuisine (where I will be pulling all my recipes from). It's also inexpensive-- a pound of bulgur at my local store costs about $1/lb. I live halfway up a mountain in the American West, so presumably it will get cheaper closer to big cities/cities with a sizable Middle Eastern population. I would describe the texture as somewhere between oatmeal and rice, and the flavor as mild, but noticeable.

Here is something I grew up eating (in retrospect, my parents were also real real cheap). It takes about 20-25 minutes to make, and makes enough for 4-5 people. It was in heavy rotation at my mothers restaurant, so in addition to copy-pasting from her cookbook I've also sized it down into a proportion that you can make and eat at home.

quote:

2 cups medium-grain bulgur
1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, crushed
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 Tb. cumin
1/2 Tb. salt
1 bunch parsley, chopped fine
.5 oz fresh dill, chopped fine
8 or so green onions, sliced thin
juice of one or two lemons

Stir boiling water into bulgur. Cover and let stand at least 20 minutes.

Fry onions in oil until pretty soft, stir in crushed garlic and continue cooking for one more minute. Stir into bulgur and let stand a few more minutes.

Stir in all remaining ingredients; chill.

This is also delicious to eat directly after cooking it. You will see the combination of bulgur and tomatoes everywhere in Turkish food; the Turks use a lot of tomato but I have never seen bulgur used without them. It results in a dish that doesn't taste very tomato-y, but is a lovely shade of orange and richer in flavor.

From my mother again, here is an application of bulgur in a hot dish. It's comparable in size to the first one and takes less time, if anything.

quote:

Bulgur Pilav

4 cups water
1/2 small onion
1/8 green pepper (optional)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 medium tomato
1 or 2 oz. tomato paste
2 cups bulgur
1 tsp. salt

Chop onion and green pepper; fry the onion and green pepper just until soft. Chop the tomato; add it, the tomato paste, the water and the salt; mix well. Bring to a boil. Add the bulgur. Cover; simmer until done.

This is especially good with falafel or a meat dish beside it. It's worth noting that the bulgur you will find in the store is most likely already parboiled and will cook fairly quickly; just cook it until it is soft enough to bite into without encountering a crunch (like rice).

I also like to put some in my lentil soup, I can post the recipe if there's any interest.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

seconding that bulgur is good.

I like it with gravy-type dishes, especially gravy made from red meat.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I love bulgur. I serve gravy meat dishes on it - even sometimes curries, when I feel like something that isn't couscous, rice, or flatbread.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have never heard of it but i am intrigued. It looks familiar.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
If you eat very much food from the region, you have probably had it in something or other (usually as a pilav). It's an innocuous little grain.

I hadn't thought of pairing it with curries but that would be delicious! Sometimes I curry chickpeas and spinach; I will try it with that next time-- it seems appropriate.

Now I'm also remembering peppers and eggplants stuffed with bulgur pilav. I would like to write down the recipe for that as well but I think it would turn into a giant wall of text about how evil-tasting eggplants can be if you don't do them right. I am very bad at eggplants.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
When I was growing heaps of parlsey I used bulgur to make kissir and tabbouleh over summer. (Tabbouleh uses only about 2-3Tbsp bulgur but kissir uses about 1 cup, besides that very similar except kissir uses green capsicum and harrisa paste which you can omit anyway)
It's a good side dish for grilled meats, especially spicy ones as there's lemon, cucumber and parsley mixed in.

One particular note is I found bulgur hard to find by name. Eventually I found some labelled "bourghul" in some health food section, I know it's the same stuff now but of course I wasn't sure when I was standing in the aisle at the shop looking to buy it. Just another one of those things living in Australia I guess, just like when I wanted cornmeal for cornbread, had to buy fine polenta.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Apr 8, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Not interrupt the bulgar chat, because I do want to try some recipes with it, but I'm looking for cheap and healthy options for breakfast. I hate breakfast. It's the only meal of the day that I don't look forward to. Every time think of it, I picture the same 5 things: eggs, bacon, veggies, some kind of bread product, or cereal/oatmeal and milk. It's just boring to me, and I generally don't have time to make and enjoy it between waking up and running out the door to work every morning.

I'm looking for something I can make in bulk and have for a morning meal that just isn't the same old breakfast poo poo. I'd prefer something I can freeze and then microwave when I get to work, if possible. The only idea I've had so far is taking some raw biscuit dough from a tube, lining some muffin tins with that, filling them with *~something~*, and freezing that to take to work with me. I'm open to other ideas, of course.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Literally anything can be breakfast. Only Kellogs makes any claims that it has to be some kind of special category of foods. A Japanese breakfast involves rice, grilled salmon, an egg, and some pickled vegetables. In Korea they eat the same dishes for breakfast as they would for any other meal. Eat what you like.

And also: "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is less a medical recommendation than it is a logical truism. Think about it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Just make a huge batch of chili and eat a small bowl of it in the morning. Or make a chili omelette.

Really, any protein based non-breakfast food goes great as breakfast, with an egg. Or without, if you really don't want eggs.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
A lot of Asian people I know take their dinner leftovers and stir-fry them with some leftover rice. And egg, of course. It is my standard breakfast when I feel like having a full breakfast.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

neogeo0823 posted:

Not interrupt the bulgar chat, because I do want to try some recipes with it, but I'm looking for cheap and healthy options for breakfast. I hate breakfast. It's the only meal of the day that I don't look forward to. Every time think of it, I picture the same 5 things: eggs, bacon, veggies, some kind of bread product, or cereal/oatmeal and milk. It's just boring to me, and I generally don't have time to make and enjoy it between waking up and running out the door to work every morning.

I'm looking for something I can make in bulk and have for a morning meal that just isn't the same old breakfast poo poo. I'd prefer something I can freeze and then microwave when I get to work, if possible. The only idea I've had so far is taking some raw biscuit dough from a tube, lining some muffin tins with that, filling them with *~something~*, and freezing that to take to work with me. I'm open to other ideas, of course.

There's no rule that says you have to have special breakfast food for breakfast (although making porridge with steel cut oats is cheap, filling, and very good for you). Eat whatever tastes good - there's nothing stopping you from having stew for breakfast, or pasta, or curry, or whatever. The only real rule of breakfast is that it should have a substantial carb component (preferably wholemeal/low GI/unrefined to maximise your energy over a long period) because your body is in particular need of carbs when it first wakes up to kick start your metabolism. In fact you should be eating more carbs in the morning and fewer carbs in the evening. Any sort of cooked dish like curry, stew etc is something you can have ready made and just chuck in the microwave when you get up (or not, many a hot summer's day have I woken up with a meal of cold vindaloo straight from the fridge)

These days though I mostly avoid the problem entirely by not being awake before midday.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 8, 2015

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I like to eat cold curried chickpeas and some kimchi, with scrambled eggs and fruit on the side. Basically everything done in minutes.

edit: and this: http://www.thekitchn.com/simple-breakfast-nocook-overni-125986

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 8, 2015

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Make a shitload of breakfast (or not-breakfast) burritos, freeze, and microwave as needed.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Midniter posted:

Make a shitload of breakfast (or not-breakfast) burritos, freeze, and microwave as needed.

Yeah, I did that with bean and cheese burritos for lunch. While I do tend to enjoy burritos, I don't really want to experience them for more than a meal every day for more than a week straight.

The Lord Bude posted:

There's no rule that says you have to have special breakfast food for breakfast (although making porridge with steel cut oats is cheap, filling, and very good for you). Eat whatever tastes good - there's nothing stopping you from having stew for breakfast, or pasta, or curry, or whatever. The only real rule of breakfast is that it should have a substantial carb component (preferably wholemeal/low GI/unrefined to maximise your energy over a long period) because your body is in particular need of carbs when it first wakes up to kick start your metabolism. In fact you should be eating more carbs in the morning and fewer carbs in the evening. Any sort of cooked dish like curry, stew etc is something you can have ready made and just chuck in the microwave when you get up (or not, many a hot summer's day have I woken up with a meal of cold vindaloo straight from the fridge)

This makes a good amount of sense though. Really, I just need to find something that's easy to reheat that's also relatively high carb for breakfast. I can look around and find something that'll work. That muffin-tin-biscuit idea is starting to sound more appealing though.

quote:

These days though I mostly avoid the problem entirely by not being awake before midday.

Were it only that I could. 7:30am 5 days a week to be at work by 8:30am. I hate mornings. :smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

neogeo0823 posted:

This makes a good amount of sense though. Really, I just need to find something that's easy to reheat that's also relatively high carb for breakfast. I can look around and find something that'll work. That muffin-tin-biscuit idea is starting to sound more appealing though.

I've been making sweet potato hash while St. Patricks day corned beef was on sale. Sautee up an onion and some garlic and brown chopped corned beef in that then add in large chunks of par-baked and peeled sweet potato, toss in a little paprika and black pepper then crisp that in a skillet or open dutch oven in the oven at 450F for a few mins. Top with fried eggs if you want but it's good as is. You could sub in just about any meat for corned beef there if you salted it up a bit more and it would be good to reheat.

Another thing if you want high carb is to make up a thick batch of grits and then bake them solid in a glass dish like a polenta. You can add in cheese, bacon, eggs or anything really if you want more flavor or protein. Typically I'll make a batch of shrimp and grits like this with onion, garlic, parsley, cheese and bacon but that isn't generally a cheap dish in comparison to what you could make.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, pinto and black beans are hard to get in Australia, hard enough that there's no guarantee of their freshness, and never seen them canned either. I've never bought them for these reasons.
In Perth I've seen pinto and GN beans at some markets and health food shops, but rarely. The only place that lists black beans is a weigh and pay shop in Woodvale, but that's too far for me. Mexican and Caribbean cuisine is too rare here. I usually just buy red kidney beans, cannellini beans, and black eyed peas as they are the easiest to get.

I'm in Melbourne so it might be different but almost every Indian grocer (and a lot of middle eastern ones, too) sell bags of dried black beans. Pinto beans are almost impossible to find but borlotti / roman beans are a decent substitute.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Start a crock of Boston baked beans before bed and wake up to hot, delicious breakfast.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Were it only that I could. 7:30am 5 days a week to be at work by 8:30am. I hate mornings. :smith:

That's one of the great things about working retail. The store is open so long I can pretty much have my pick of whatever hours suit my lifestyle.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

cyberia posted:

I'm in Melbourne so it might be different but almost every Indian grocer (and a lot of middle eastern ones, too) sell bags of dried black beans. Pinto beans are almost impossible to find but borlotti / roman beans are a decent substitute.

I usually go the prime products, and main Indian supplier that has 3 stores around the city. But you got me thinking. Checked out ganesh foods in balcatta and they have black beans and pinto beans on their website. huh.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

neogeo0823 posted:

stir fried rice is easy to freeze and reheat,

also, couscous is easy to make in big batches, easy to reheat and even very nice when eaten cold
I make a version with chickpeas, onions, ginger, red pepper, orange zest, orange juice, chicken stock and a bit of chili powder and salt,
and I love taking it to work for a cold meal if I have any leftovers.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

paraquat posted:

stir fried rice is easy to freeze and reheat,

also, couscous is easy to make in big batches, easy to reheat and even very nice when eaten cold
I make a version with chickpeas, onions, ginger, red pepper, orange zest, orange juice, chicken stock and a bit of chili powder and salt,
and I love taking it to work for a cold meal if I have any leftovers.

fried rice is excellent for breakfast. This little place near me does fried rice with wok fried egg, pulled pork and this ridiculously spicy thai sauce.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

The Lord Bude posted:

fried rice is excellent for breakfast. This little place near me does fried rice with wok fried egg, pulled pork and this ridiculously spicy thai sauce.

That sounds so so great...guess I need to experiment more and take my fried rice to the next level!! (I'm lacking little places with great fried rice near me, lol)

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

paraquat posted:

That sounds so so great...guess I need to experiment more and take my fried rice to the next level!! (I'm lacking little places with great fried rice near me, lol)

If you want a bit of chilli or spice, Lao Gan Ma brand chilli and soya paste/oil is a good additive. I normally do that for myself, and sesame oil and white pepper for my partner and she doesn't like the chilli so much.

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, I did that with bean and cheese burritos for lunch. While I do tend to enjoy burritos, I don't really want to experience them for more than a meal every day for more than a week straight.

heaps of ideas:
left overs:
Eat them as is, or if you wanted to save the complete last nights meal for tonights dinner, just pinch a few items, EG:

Left over meat:
any left over meat from a roast add to egg, day old rice, frozen peas or other veg, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and have fried rice as said before.
E: you can do this without left over meat, in fact most fried rice i make is vegetarian, just doing it to use up old rice.

Left over veg:
Any left over roast veg - eggplant, beets, sweet potato, onion, garlic etc. Add some mushrooms, capsicum, cheese, use a tortilla or a pita bread/flat bread as a pizza base and chuck it in the oven for a vegetarian "gourmet*" pizza.
Or go simple with tomato and mushroom if no left overs.
* I think that's what they call a left overs pizza these days in pizzerias.

Old mashed potato:
Make croquettes/patties. The simplest is mash with mixed frozen veg and make "bubble and squeak". You could also mix mash with tinned tuna or salmon or zuchinni, coat in egg and bread crumbs, fry in oil

Beans:
Bean burrito or taco with a slaw
falafels or bean patties. Chickpea falafels are very filling but you can use other left over beans. Can eat them alone, or use 2 of them in a pita bread half with salad and dressing.

Random:
There's this one minute muffin that I think is popular with some dieters/"paleo" it's based on almond meal I think, have a search for one minute muffin.
Tinned seafood "wraps", eg tortilla or pita:
salad/slaw and some tinned tuna, salmon or sardines. Simple quick on the go eating, no cooking required.

Baking/specialty meals you can cook the previous day:
Make muffins with apple or banana and oats - this is probably what I would do
Make a quiche, "slice" or fritatta with eggs, tomatos, zuchinni, caramelised onion, spinach and cheese.
Besan flour pancakes. chickpea flour indian pancakes besan ki puda. Just need the flour, spices, green onion and whatever.

Late late edit:
Just remembered one more thing I'd like to have for breakfast, nori rolls.
Make some up with cucumber, carrot, avocado, left over meat, smoked salmon, or tinned tuna etc etc. Do a batch of rice and make some rolls up with different ingredients and have them throughout the week with a good horseradish kick to wake you up.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 9, 2015

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This may be unhelpful for you but I just skip breakfast. It lets me eat more during lunch and dinner, when I actually enjoy it. I'm usually too sleepy in the morning to actually enjoy eating anything. Plus it's less work preparing only two meals a day.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hawkgirl posted:

This may be unhelpful for you but I just skip breakfast. It lets me eat more during lunch and dinner, when I actually enjoy it. I'm usually too sleepy in the morning to actually enjoy eating anything. Plus it's less work preparing only two meals a day.

I've been doing that for a while, but I've also been trying to lose weight recently, and I've found that even going to the gym 3 times a week isn't really helping much, so I've gotta take a look at my diet. While the food that I make at home is generally decently healthy, I do know I eat portions that are way too huge. I'm trying to go from eating 2 huge meals a day to eating 3 small meals and 2 tiny snacks to more evenly control my eating and see if it helps any.

As an example, before starting this, I might make a dinner that easily had 6 portions in it, eat 2 for dinner, and then eat 2 for lunch the next day, along with another 2 portion sized meal that evening. I'm trying to cut it down to .5-1 portion of food at breakfast, 1 portion for lunch, and 1 portion for dinner, with ~.5 portion fruit or veggie snacks if I get hungry in between. So far this week, I've had small from-scratch bean and cheese burritos with "mexican style" rice for lunch, 1 of those little easy-peel clementines for snacks(max 2/day), and just a bit less than what I think would fill me up at dinner. I haven't weighed myself yet this week, but I'm hoping it's at least brought me down a couple of lbs.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Portion control and tracking worked for me. I got the KY fitness pal app and started logging. It also made me anti-carb in that I'd much rather have a beer than a half cup of rice.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

I've been doing that for a while, but I've also been trying to lose weight recently, and I've found that even going to the gym 3 times a week isn't really helping much, so I've gotta take a look at my diet. While the food that I make at home is generally decently healthy, I do know I eat portions that are way too huge. I'm trying to go from eating 2 huge meals a day to eating 3 small meals and 2 tiny snacks to more evenly control my eating and see if it helps any.

As an example, before starting this, I might make a dinner that easily had 6 portions in it, eat 2 for dinner, and then eat 2 for lunch the next day, along with another 2 portion sized meal that evening. I'm trying to cut it down to .5-1 portion of food at breakfast, 1 portion for lunch, and 1 portion for dinner, with ~.5 portion fruit or veggie snacks if I get hungry in between. So far this week, I've had small from-scratch bean and cheese burritos with "mexican style" rice for lunch, 1 of those little easy-peel clementines for snacks(max 2/day), and just a bit less than what I think would fill me up at dinner. I haven't weighed myself yet this week, but I'm hoping it's at least brought me down a couple of lbs.

Interesting, because I actually stopped eating breakfast to help me lose weight. Although what really helped me was getting a food scale and actually weighing the food I was eating.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hawkgirl posted:

Interesting, because I actually stopped eating breakfast to help me lose weight. Although what really helped me was getting a food scale and actually weighing the food I was eating.

Not eating breakfast is a very bad idea for weight loss. I've lost 20kg over the past 6 months or so with help from a dietician, and one of the key things I've taken away is the need for frequent small portions, and a good breakfast. I eat something every 2-3 hours when I'm awake.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Not eating breakfast is a very bad idea for weight loss. I've lost 20kg over the past 6 months or so with help from a dietician, and one of the key things I've taken away is the need for frequent small portions, and a good breakfast. I eat something every 2-3 hours when I'm awake.

It works differently for different people. The myth of 'stoking your metabolism' has been debunked multiple times. For some people (like me) eating small portions throughout the day makes us crave more food and less satisfied. See: http://www.webmd.com/diet/6_meals_a_day

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

If I eat breakfast I get STARVING an hour or so later. More so than if I skipped it. I've been waiting for a few hours after I wake up and then making a smoothie which seems to be the happy balance for me.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hawkgirl posted:

Yeah, as was mentioned, I'm pretty much the opposite. If I skip meals, I eat a ton more when I actually do get around to eating. It's likely because I subconsciously say to myself "sure! Have those 2 extra slices of pizza. Not like you ate anything else today! :btroll:"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Lord Bude posted:

Breakfast and small constant meals have no scientific basis as to why they work better; it's much more of a mental thing where if you haven't eaten for 18 hours (which skipping breakfast basically implies) you might just go crazy during lunch.

However I know people who have had great success with intermediate fasting where they don't eat for 20 hours and then have their daily food in those 4 hours. It's whatever works for people.

Personally I've gotten the eating down well but drat beer is just so good

Schnugaf
Mar 23, 2011

The Great Derposaurus
I live in Norway, so it's hard to get an accurate pricing on this.
I am a student and I survive on about 400 dollars a month after rent, which is less than ideal in Norway as everything is a poo poo ton more expensive than anywhere else in the world.
And there's a lot of other expenditures that has to come out of those 400 dollars before food, like the bus to and from school, phone bills, etc.
Besides making cheap rear end Pasta Carbonara a couple of times a week, I make sure to get most of my vitamins by making a 2 minute smoothie at the price of maybe 3 dollars per 7dl every morning.

I get one pack of frozen strawberries (300g) wich run at about one dollar and fifty cents
Then one pack of frozen forest berries (300g) which is a mixture of blackcurrant, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries at about one dollar.
I get one pack of oats (1kg) (This usually lasts for a really long time).
Bananas, usually I get seven bananas each week so they don't spoil and get thrown away.
Orange Juice, this lasts for a decent ammount of time, so buy as little or as much as you want.
I'd recommend OJ that hasn't been concentrated as a personal preference.

Get a cup of about 2 dl.
Throw in the strawberries and forest berries until they fill up the cup, use somewhat equal amounts, throw that into a mixer.
Pour 2dl of OJ in that cup, throw it in the mixer.
One banana in the mixer.
A big handful of oats.

This usually makes for 7dl of smoothie and shouldn't by Norwegian prices go over 3 dollars per portion, the oats helps you not go hungry for quite a while again too, usually long enough for me to skip lunch(Which I can't afford).
So after a month, roughly 100 dollars has been spent, but the breakfast gives you a shitload of Vitamin C and a decent enough amount of Vitamin K and E.
The blueberries also carries with them antioxidants which strengthens your body against diseases and age-related health risks.
To compensate for all the vitamins not in the smoothie, I eat a lot of homemade Italian food with tomatoes. (400g tins of crushed tomatoes are dirt cheap and can be used in so many good recipes).

It takes no time and effort, and it tastes pretty drat good.
I don't even have a mixer, I just use a hand blender and a big plastic cup to minimize the washing.

Schnugaf fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 9, 2015

mystes
May 31, 2006

Schnugaf posted:

Get a cup of about 2 dl.
Throw in the strawberries and forest berries until they fill up the cup, use somewhat equal amounts, throw that into a mixer.
Pour 2dl of OJ in that cup, throw it in the mixer.
One banana in the mixer.
A big handful of oats.

This usually makes for 7dl of smoothie and shouldn't by Norwegian prices go over 3 dollars per portion, the oats helps you not go hungry for quite a while again too, usually long enough for me to skip lunch(Which I can't afford).
So after a month, roughly 100 dollars has been spent, but the breakfast gives you a shitload of Vitamin C and a decent enough amount of Vitamin K and E.
The blueberries also carries with them antioxidants which strengthens your body against diseases and age-related health risks.
As a dumb American, I have to ask: is "dl" deciliters?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

mystes posted:

As a dumb American, I have to ask: is "dl" deciliters?

Yes it is, so you're looking at about 200ml there.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
I have discovered the best thing to do with leftover curry and rice - mix it all up together and use it as a filling for puff pastry parcels. You can freeze them and then just pop a few in the oven when you want a tasty lunch. I eat them with yoghurt and a chilli dip.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beep Street posted:

I have discovered the best thing to do with leftover curry and rice - mix it all up together and use it as a filling for puff pastry parcels. You can freeze them and then just pop a few in the oven when you want a tasty lunch. I eat them with yoghurt and a chilli dip.
Nice! like an Indian Cornish pasty

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Beep Street posted:

I always have puff pastry in the freezer and spiced rice and curries/sabzis/etc in the fridge. This is a great idea for work lunches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i like to add tapatio hot sauce to my food to give it a "latin" kick!