Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazzletoff
Dec 17, 2012

wake me up
before you jojo

Dongattack posted:

Has anyone tried to make ECE and RaceMenu work together recently? I need both to make sufficiently waifu like characters.

You only need one or the other, dude.

RaceMenu.

ECE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Red Mundus posted:

I haven't touched blender in ages cause I got frustrated so I can't remember unfortunately. Thanks for the links! I'll try the alpha and the .nif plugin as well. I was using an older version because the forums were talking about how the new version's didn't support Skyrim. It looks like the alpha fixed that though which is cool.

Yeah, I've been using and modifying vanilla/mod .nifs cause I have no idea how to make my own.

Yeah, people have been using Blender 2.49 for import/export. which I guess isn't too bad - do your work in your build of choice, save as legacy .blend. It's nice being able to cut out that step, though. As for Blender woes in general, I quite like it. It's UI isn't kind, but makes sense when you get used to it. Don't forget that pressing space lets you search for various commands/functions, so you don't have to memorize every single shortcut...

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mazzletoff posted:

You only need one or the other, dude.

RaceMenu.

ECE.

RaceMenu has the overlay thing with tattoos and freckles everywhere :v: ECE doesn't have anything like that unless they implemented that recently.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm pretty sure that RaceMenu does everything that ECE does, unless you like the new character parts ECE added.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I've found in the past that ECE seems to have vastly different facial generation patterns. Both addons may afaik be able to produce the same face eventually, but with Racemenu the user will usually pop out a very standardized face, while with ECE it's much easier to create diverse and believable faces in the same time, imo anyway.

The only faces i have been truly impressed with i have created with ECE in the past.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Dongattack posted:

RaceMenu has the overlay thing with tattoos and freckles everywhere :v: ECE doesn't have anything like that unless they implemented that recently.

Hey any of those let me redo my char's appearance and race in mid game? I kinda like not losing my data, but I wanna try being someone else for a while.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Octal posted:

Hey any of those let me redo my char's appearance and race in mid game? I kinda like not losing my data, but I wanna try being someone else for a while.

You can redo your character's appearance at the Face Sculptor down in the Ragged Flagon in Riften, but you can't change race there.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
The Race Menu ability to save custom presets has been a real boon for indecisive or experimental people like myself.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Octal posted:

Go into a inside cell (not necessarily a prison cell, but a house or whatever that isn't outside), open up the console [`] and type "showracemenu" sans quotes then press enter. This will allow you to edit the hell out of your character's face. Couple of caveats to keep in mind: Changing the race may remove accumulated permanent magic effects via quest rewards, and you will no longer be able to progress or complete achievements on that play session. The last one can be worked around by saving your game after your character edits, and restarting your game.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Ulvirich posted:

Go into a inside cell (not necessarily a prison cell, but a house or whatever that isn't outside), open up the console [`] and type "showracemenu" sans quotes then press enter. This will allow you to edit the hell out of your character's face. Couple of caveats to keep in mind: Changing the race may remove accumulated permanent magic effects via quest rewards, and you will no longer be able to progress or complete achievements on that play session. The last one can be worked around by saving your game after your character edits, and restarting your game.

Using "showracemenu" to change your race after level 1 is never a good idea, because the game is basically swapping in an empty NPC record into the place of your old record, which is why all your accumulated stuff goes away

There is a console command that allows you to change your race directly - setrace - which also has some quirks but isn't as destructive as using showracemenu to do so. Either way it's best to just have a strong idea of who your character is going to be from the outset and not switch races midstream.

Alternatively, just always roll Breton because they are tiny gods

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

???? I've used Showracemenu to adjust my character a number of times and have never had stuff go away and I haven't had any issues with progressing. Am I just oblivious?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
As long as you don't change your character's race, showracemenu won't cause a problem. I think it's probably best to save, quit to main menu, and reload after any tweaking to make sure everything sets correctly but it's no big deal.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Trainwiz, never change. Looks like I have some followers for my next silly/horrifying run.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Are there any spells or mods that have a shotgun-style effect? For example, if I cast firebolt and five bolts come out, each randomly set a tad off-center so the attack spreads like shot.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Octal posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33968/

Adds a spell you can use to change race without the negative side effects.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Appoda posted:

Are there any spells or mods that have a shotgun-style effect? For example, if I cast firebolt and five bolts come out, each randomly set a tad off-center so the attack spreads like shot.

There's one in Apocalypse (stormclaw or something I think) that fires out in a short range arc to hit multiple targets. Not sure how well it scales with level though

it also shoots through walls :getin:

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

By the way another thing....since this run is still kinda young, should I put in any balance patches or just work with it vanilla? Like I wonder if SPERG is a straight upgrade or if skyrim is better played vanilla before you go tweaking the balance and perks to be better.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Of course we're going to recommend modding in the modding thread. In my opinion, there's no value in experiencing the vanilla perk trees when you can get the far superior SPERG ones. Likewise, why would you struggle against the awful UI when you could install SkyUI right off the bat? Sure some mods ruin or heavily alter the intended experience, but those two at least are pretty much straight upgrades.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Of course we're going to recommend modding in the modding thread. In my opinion, there's no value in experiencing the vanilla perk trees when you can get the far superior SPERG ones. Likewise, why would you struggle against the awful UI when you could install SkyUI right off the bat? Sure some mods ruin or heavily alter the intended experience, but those two at least are pretty much straight upgrades.

I should give you my load order so you know what I actually have.

code:
GameMode=Skyrim
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Falskaar.esm
Wyrmstooth.esp
HearthFire Display Case Fix.esp
SkyUI.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Bounty Gold.esp
FloraRespawnFix.esp
hideout.esp
dragon falls manor.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
Brawl Bugs CE.esp
HavenBag.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
haafinheim.esp
Ring of Himalayan Hauling v1.0.esp
RiversideLodge.esp
The Ring of Hauling was for some emergency moving out stuff when I wanted to try to use the updated dovakiin hideout and found the one where another guy took over kinda made it glitch out for me and filled it with NPC trainers that I didn't want.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Hmm, personally I'd skip SPERG first time - getting the perks on level up to work properly can take a tiny bit of fiddling, and I don't recall the vanilla perk system being that bad. On the other hand, I may be remembering wrong, since it's literally been years since I played with vanilla perks. Definitely get SkyUI though - there is no reason to suffer vanilla UI, which is that bad. Also definitely get the unofficial patches if you don't already have them.
Also, the second post in the thread has a list of mods for first time players - looks pretty good to me, focused on fixes for broken things. Personally, I'd also consider adding Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade - it is a bit more involved than the others, but adds some nice things, like melting down stuff (also included in SPERG if you do go with it) and general neatening of crafting menus. It is less clear cut than just the fixes for a first run through. Maybe check out the vanilla crafting and see if it annoys you - if something does, there's a good chance CCOR can help fix it.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mzbundifund posted:

there's no value in experiencing the vanilla perk trees when you can get the far superior SPERG ones

holy poo poo, this. I'm rolling a witchhunter-y archer and every time I go into the perk trees I find something new and amazing :allears:

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

NiftyBottle posted:

Hmm, personally I'd skip SPERG first time - getting the perks on level up to work properly can take a tiny bit of fiddling, and I don't recall the vanilla perk system being that bad. On the other hand, I may be remembering wrong, since it's literally been years since I played with vanilla perks. Definitely get SkyUI though - there is no reason to suffer vanilla UI, which is that bad. Also definitely get the unofficial patches if you don't already have them.
Also, the second post in the thread has a list of mods for first time players - looks pretty good to me, focused on fixes for broken things. Personally, I'd also consider adding Complete Crafting Overhaul Remade - it is a bit more involved than the others, but adds some nice things, like melting down stuff (also included in SPERG if you do go with it) and general neatening of crafting menus. It is less clear cut than just the fixes for a first run through. Maybe check out the vanilla crafting and see if it annoys you - if something does, there's a good chance CCOR can help fix it.

I didn't think it was THAT bad, but once I got skyUI when it first came out long ago it was like 'holy cow this is way better' and stuck with it since. I've kinda put this game on the backburner for a long while and came back to it and I'm enjoying it and remembered where I left off so I'm not in need of restarting. I just took a looong break from being dragonborn since I kinda sperged out and wanted to get all the DLC before I returned.

edit: If I ever do a second run by the way, one idea I have is to play a Thalmor Rogue Agent who allies with the stormcloaks and helps them win the war in order to help further destabilize Cyrodiil's influence by causing Skyrim to become isolationist. This will also make them weak to the inevitable Thalmor takeover once we have taken over Cyrodiil.

edit 2:
I wanted to say that I did dabble with SPERG but I couldn't get it to ever launch for some reason, any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with the nexus mod organizer?

Octal fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 10, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Using the Nexus Mod Manager for a start.

Use MO instead. Bit of a learning curve, but worth it in the end.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Don't know if everybody knows this, but this is how to organize Steam Workshop mods with MO:

- subscribe to the mod in the Workshop
- open Skyrim launcher through Steam
- wait for to mod to synch
- exit

- launch MO
- the mod will appear as 'unmanaged'
- exit MO

- open Skyrim's data folder (for me it's C:\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data )
- delete all files associated with the mod
- launch MO. The mod will be gone from the list.
- run Skyrim Launcher from MO
- exit Skyrim Launcher

- launch MO
- there will be a warning that there are files in the Overwrite mod
- refresh the mod list
- Right click the Overwrite mod and select 'Create mod'

- unsubscribe to the mod on the Steam Workshop

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

axolotl farmer posted:

Don't know if everybody knows this, but this is how to organize Steam Workshop mods with MO:

- subscribe to the mod in the Workshop
- open Skyrim launcher through Steam
- wait for to mod to synch
- exit

- launch MO
- the mod will appear as 'unmanaged'
- exit MO

- open Skyrim's data folder (for me it's C:\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data )
- delete all files associated with the mod
- launch MO. The mod will be gone from the list.
- run Skyrim Launcher from MO
- exit Skyrim Launcher

- launch MO
- refresh the mod list

Thank you for this. I've been wanting to install ThirteenOranges' quests and locations, but they seem only hosted on the workshop.

Unrelated, but I wonder just how much of a pain it would be to install FCOM_Convergence and its associated mods through Mod Organizer, if I wanted to do an Oblivion playthrough. That mod's already a nightmare.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Do you lik spells in skyim. Ofcourse you do, you probably already have Apocalypse installed and maybe Forgotten Magic Redone. But now you can have even more spells. Because the author of Grimoire just released a new version. Lost Grimoire of Skyrim. Grimoire has a few things it does seperatly from other spell mods but the most notable one is that it has Steath Destruction spells. With Sneak damage. Now you throw tiny needles of ice from the shadows.

Have a handfull of sample spells:

Time Lock: Immobilizes everyone near the caster for 30 seconds. Time-locked targets cannot be harmed.

Supercharge: Concentrate to charge up an electrical blast; release to trigger the explosion, doing up to 350 damage. Power grows with charging time.

Mammoth Familiar: Summons a Mammoth Familiar. Can only be cast outside.

Lucky Rabbit: Silently conjure an illusory rabbit to distract opponents and lead them in a random direction. Does not work in combat.

Dread Cocoon: Cast on a corpse to implant it with a fearful creature that will hatch in 15 sec. Those attacked by the creature might also be infected.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

Any reason why you're taking all those extra steps when you can

- subscribe to the mod in the Workshop and download it via the Skyrim Launcher.
- Cut-Paste the mod's files from the Data folder to their own individual folder in MO's mod directory

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I think those extra steps were needed to get the more complex mods working, but that might just be voodoo.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You can also just subscribe to the mod, and then download it via opening the Skyrim launcher in MO. It adds all the files directly to the overwrite folder.

EDIT: Then do this:

axolotl farmer posted:

- refresh the mod list

Remember to unsubscribe from the mod afterwards.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 10, 2015

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

You can also just subscribe to the mod, and then download it via opening the Skyrim launcher in MO. It adds all the files directly to the overwrite folder.
The main advantage of MO is that it keeps mods separate from eachother. If you dump everything in the Overwrite folder, you've just moved the "festering pile of mods"-thing that MO was designed to solve from the Data folder to there.
That said, if you don't use multiple profiles in MO it's not likely to be an issue. But not being able to set installation order preferences can be a downside.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Raygereio posted:

The main advantage of MO is that it keeps mods separate from eachother. If you dump everything in the Overwrite folder, you've just moved the "festering pile of mods"-thing that MO was designed to solve from the Data folder to there.
That said, if you don't use multiple profiles in MO it's not likely to be an issue. But not being able to set installation order preferences can be a downside.

You can just do each one individually and use the "create mod" option.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Raygereio posted:

My overwrite folder tends to be pretty clean. I didn't mention the "Create Mod" part, as it's a pretty simple step which had already been covered by axolotl farmer.

I'll add it to my post though, it's probably a good idea to mention it.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 10, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm trying to install Helgen Reborn with the Mod Organizer, but when I get a "No game data on top level" message. Am I doing something wrong, or can I go ahead with the installation?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm trying to install Helgen Reborn with the Mod Organizer, but when I get a "No game data on top level" message. Am I doing something wrong, or can I go ahead with the installation?

Look through the file tree until you find a folder named "data" or "Data" and set that as the data directory. Usually "No game data on top level" means the data folder's on the next level down, with a readme in between.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Right-click on the directory and select "set as data" that should do it.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

YellerBill posted:

Look through the file tree until you find a folder named "data" or "Data" and set that as the data directory. Usually "No game data on top level" means the data folder's on the next level down, with a readme in between.

That makes sense, thanks.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Britt Burns fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 11, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Controversial opinion alert!

I hate Mod Organizer.

It bothers me that so many people just take it as a given that it's the superior way to mod. As long as you actually understand Skyrim's file structure, NMM is much simpler and it's not a huge loving headache to set everything up. MO keeps all your mods neatly segregated, but I like to root through mod archives and cherry-pick files to install, mix and match stuff from different mesh & texture packs. I like to open up the actual .nif and .dds files and edit those. I like to extract stuff from .bsa archives and gently caress with it. I like to organize my plugins one way and my loose files another way, edit plugins, change file paths... I'm on extremely friendly terms with my "Data" folder. In a pinch, NMM always saves the untouched mod archive in a totally separate directory, so it's easy to retrieve files if I change my mind about something.

I've had the most insane conversations with people trying to use my mods with MO, and I always just want to shake them and ask "why are you doing this to yourself?"

I do understand the appeal of MO, especially if you want to set up radically different mod lists for different playthroughs. I just want to stress that it is a different method, not a better method. It's a classic automatic vs. manual question. I vastly prefer the hands-on approach to the hand-holding approach. MO is for people who like to keep everything super clean and streamlined and let the software do the work, but some of us prefer to roll our sleeves up and get IN there and get dirty! My game is absolutely modded to poo poo like you would not believe, and it runs beautifully.

It really gets my goat when people talk like you have to be some kind of idiot not to use MO. Or poo poo like "you're not using MO, that's your problem!" I actually do know exactly what the gently caress I'm doing, thank you very much, and it's exactly why I don't use MO. I know that some of you will be baffled or upset by this. I'm certainly not telling people not to use MO. All I'm trying to say is: Try to resist the urge to bully people into it. There are different ways to accomplish the same goals, and there's definitely more than one "correct" way to mod.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Poor Skyrim mod users, being bullied like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

• Locked thread