Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

I do recognise I need to get better at taking photographs.

same

:hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Thundercloud posted:

So I'm after some feedback on my test Skitarii

Hit the robes with a wash of your choosing, maybe pick out more detail on the weapons/tools with different shades of copper and brass, and you'd be at my desired mechanicum paint scheme.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Every time i airbrush something for dropzone commander i tell myself that next time i'll just do the yellow first, mask the stripe and then do the main colour instead of masking everything but the stripe.
It never happens.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

krushgroove posted:

Control+F 'make your own washes', probably the same or similar guides as on Dakka Dakka

i was saying i saw the OP guide for making washes (which points to Les' recipes from DakkaDakka) I was just curious if there were any handy guides for glazes. I bought some matte medium though so i'll probably experiment a bit with that next.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

What is the recomended color to paint kahki? I've tried a few different colors, and my doughboys keep coming out peach or a light yellow.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

treeboy posted:

i was saying i saw the OP guide for making washes (which points to Les' recipes from DakkaDakka) I was just curious if there were any handy guides for glazes. I bought some matte medium though so i'll probably experiment a bit with that next.

Ah, OK - what I've read is that you do 1 part paint to 10-12 parts of glaze medium. It's one thing I haven't played with very much yet though.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Moola, you might try giving it a real light drybrush with a silver metallic color

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The only silver colour I have is Vallejo Metal Grey which I think might be too dark?

Could I mix some white with it or will that ruin the metallicyness???

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah don't do that.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
swear I had some sort of mithril colour somewhere, cant find it though :/

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Building old models is fun. Pinning the robots together was super easy, since they're old enough to still have lead in them :v:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Moola posted:

Any advice to improve it??

Go back over some of the creases with more gold. Like the opposite of how you'd normally shade. Gold statues tend to stay less burnished in their recesses.

Also, on a couple of the more pronounced features, do a couple heavy black wash layers as a shadow. If it's supposed to be shiny, anyway.

Burnishing:

Shininess:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Black wash and not delvan mud?

Dont think ive even opened my black wash...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
You were right the black wash looks awesome

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Moola posted:

You were right the black wash looks awesome

Pics

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Twincityhacker posted:

What is the recomended color to paint kahki? I've tried a few different colors, and my doughboys keep coming out peach or a light yellow.

Panzer Aces US Tank Highlight or VMC Khaki.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Still quite difficult to take a picture of

Pretty happy with it

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Twincityhacker posted:

El Estrago Bonito posted:

...or VMC Khaki.

Seconded! You just use khaki to paint khaki.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Finding it harder to get a worn looking silver statue effect

Washes arent really showing up, and I seem to end up with either really bright shiny silver or dark gunmetal

Those two were boltgun metal spray, with the lightest metal I got dry brushed on top

Was thinking maybe spraying black and dry brushing metal might look better?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Moola posted:

Finding it harder to get a worn looking silver statue effect

Washes arent really showing up, and I seem to end up with either really bright shiny silver or dark gunmetal

Those two were boltgun metal spray, with the lightest metal I got dry brushed on top

Was thinking maybe spraying black and dry brushing metal might look better?

How do you feel about this

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Do you guys have a storage solution for Dropper bottles? I have like 50 of them I've mixed paint and washes into, and I was wondering if any of you have found a good storage system that goes beyond a plastic bin with a lid.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Tenasscity posted:

Do you guys have a storage solution for Dropper bottles? I have like 50 of them I've mixed paint and washes into, and I was wondering if any of you have found a good storage system that goes beyond a plastic bin with a lid.

Vallejo paint case or Reaper paint cases

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

signalnoise posted:

How do you feel about this

I like this

How do?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Moola posted:

I like this

How do?

Montana Black Ink (metallic) (basecoat)

Ghost tint brown sprayed

Didi's Magic Ink sprayed to darken (use your favorite black wash or whatever)

Drybrush with citadel griffon gold

Drybrush with citadel necron compound

Montana Black Ink is an alcohol ink that is actually made for markers. You can get 25ml refills for 4 bucks or so and it is the smoothest metallic I know of that you can still paint on top of.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tenasscity posted:

I mounted pegboard on my wall and got some nail polish racks from Amazon and mounted those on the pegboard. Works great.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

JoshTheStampede posted:

I mounted pegboard on my wall and got some nail polish racks from Amazon and mounted those on the pegboard. Works great.

Oh, if we're talking permanent storage solutions then I like an Ikea Alex drawer unit with a pick and pluck foam insert

but I might be obsessive

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Tanks for the tank god

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
cool tank

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Panzer Aces US Tank Highlight or VMC Khaki.

The Panzer Aces US Tank Highlight is the exact color I am looking for! I found the VMC khaki too grey for
what I had in my mind. Thanks!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-23730-05-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B001447AW2

Plano model 3730 for dropper bottle storage

I have one Vallejo box and a bunch of Plano boxes. They are also only like seven dollars to hold about 94 bottles.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 10, 2015

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I recently found my old Badger 105 in the garage from like 12 years ago. I think I got it when I was into modeling and had a hard time figuring it out so I put it away forever to be forgotten...

I took it apart and the needle and siphon cup had some paint in it I soaked them in Simple green and ran some air and paint through it. Everything seems fine, it sprays albeit very wide but mechanically it all works. Is there anything else I should take apart and clean/check etc? Does it need to be lubed or anything?

I ordered a medium and a fine needle/tip and some Vallejo primer that says it's already thinned for air brushes. The intention is to start using it for priming and base colors and then maybe get finer more detailed as I get the hang of it.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Tanks for the tank god

This is my kind of post. Great job, dude!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The tank commander is missing a chain sword and bigger hat :colbert:.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Super 3 posted:

I recently found my old Badger 105 in the garage from like 12 years ago. I think I got it when I was into modeling and had a hard time figuring it out so I put it away forever to be forgotten...

I took it apart and the needle and siphon cup had some paint in it I soaked them in Simple green and ran some air and paint through it. Everything seems fine, it sprays albeit very wide but mechanically it all works. Is there anything else I should take apart and clean/check etc? Does it need to be lubed or anything?

I ordered a medium and a fine needle/tip and some Vallejo primer that says it's already thinned for air brushes. The intention is to start using it for priming and base colors and then maybe get finer more detailed as I get the hang of it.

Good find! Check the feel of the trigger as you press down and pull it back, if it's sticky at all you'll probably need to take it completely apart as shown in the first video in the Airbrush post of the OP (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692#post442594539), down the trigger and needle chuck, and give everything a very good clean with acetone, a squirt or spray bottle of water or airbrush thinner and cotton buds/Q-Tips.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Tenasscity posted:

I have all of these things, which I just finished putting together this afternoon, basically thanks to this thread, the previous iteration of this thread, the boardgame thread and the 40k thread:

• Back2base-ix modular paint racks, the dropper bottle sized ones hold everything (Army Painter, which are a bit wider, fit in upside down); plus a rank and file magnetic painting rack for hands free production line stuff
  • Ikea Expedit (now replaced by the Kallax series) 4x4 bookshelf, which is awesome for holding boardgames, I have drawer inserts and pullout baskets holding minis and supplies, solid door cabinet inserts holding various, and the top row of glass door units
  • Kvissle letter tray, with cork lined trays that hold all but the largest things, and I can simply pull out and switch between trays on my desk as well as have multiple things on the go
  • Large cork pads meant to hold hot saucepans, instead a place to tape/pin down tall painting projects that don't fit in the Kvissle

This is all semi-temporary - eventually I hope to have an actual work bench rather than pushing my keyboard out of the way, a bench big enough to fit the whole paint rack assembled in a better format leaving room to return my alcohol to the top of the Expedit, and those glass doors will house my glassware, with my minis eventually moved to KR cases and a dedicated display case in another room.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

big_g posted:

I'm finally calling it done on the Corsair I posted a while back. Came out looking okay I think.

Picture dump then I'm done with this.

Yep. It looks ok. :rolleyes:

It's pretty awesome, man.

signalnoise posted:

Oh, if we're talking permanent storage solutions then I like an Ikea Alex drawer unit with a pick and pluck foam insert

but I might be obsessive

I like this idea. The only downside I see is a lot of wasted space due to the pluck foam walls.

How close to Devlan Mud is Agrax Earthshade? I've got to wash a boatload of Steel Legion greatcoats and am pretty sure my bottle of DM won't make it through the batch. Conversely, should I just bite the bullet and start mixing my own? I know it's cheaper in the long run, but the startup cost is a bit of of a shocker... Are the Daler Rowney inks available at Michael's or AC Moore?

EDIT: I just went ahead and bought the Agrax. The DIY question still stands though.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 11, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

I like this idea. The only downside I see is a lot of wasted space due to the pluck foam walls.

It's only a problem if you have hundreds upon hundreds of paints, fortunately.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

It's only a problem if you have hundreds upon hundreds of paints, fortunately.

I can see that.

Vallejo question - I've got a bottle of the VMC Charred Brown. When I went to apply it to my models, it was acting like I mixed too much water into it (i.e. pulling away from the model, flowing into the recesses, etc.) I shook the bottle some more (I have agitators in it) and even went as far as to pop the top and stir the paint (no pigment was congealed on the bottom) and put some on my palette, not adding any water this time. Same problem. It's like there is very little pigment in the bottle and a shitload of colored water. Granted, the bottle is a few years old (8+) but I've got other old VMC that I don't have an issue with. Has anyone else had this problem?

Possibly related, I'm applying over AP spray Desert Yellow - could the AP be too smooth for good adherence? I've already applied VMC Heavy Charcoal with no problem, but I know that it has a higher pigment ratio, so it may not be comparing apples to apples...

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

NTRabbit posted:

I have all of these things, which I just finished putting together this afternoon, basically thanks to this thread, the previous iteration of this thread, the boardgame thread and the 40k thread:

• Back2base-ix modular paint racks, the dropper bottle sized ones hold everything (Army Painter, which are a bit wider, fit in upside down); plus a rank and file magnetic painting rack for hands free production line stuff
  • Ikea Expedit (now replaced by the Kallax series) 4x4 bookshelf, which is awesome for holding boardgames, I have drawer inserts and pullout baskets holding minis and supplies, solid door cabinet inserts holding various, and the top row of glass door units
  • Kvissle letter tray, with cork lined trays that hold all but the largest things, and I can simply pull out and switch between trays on my desk as well as have multiple things on the go
  • Large cork pads meant to hold hot saucepans, instead a place to tape/pin down tall painting projects that don't fit in the Kvissle

This is all semi-temporary - eventually I hope to have an actual work bench rather than pushing my keyboard out of the way, a bench big enough to fit the whole paint rack assembled in a better format leaving room to return my alcohol to the top of the Expedit, and those glass doors will house my glassware, with my minis eventually moved to KR cases and a dedicated display case in another room.

I like this and (assuming we get the larger place we're trying to rent) I will be stealing liberally from this setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I love Ikea. I highly recommend them for making painting desks. I have a massive painting desk made entirely of Ikea poo poo that was pretty cheap to make and has tons of storage.