Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

They dressed it up in a lot of official-sounding language, but that's how it came off to me. Basically it's a catchall department that works with every other department to gain a sufficiently broad knowledge base to, and this is the pertinent bit, field every single client query or complaint over the telephone. Plus data entry.

Mostly I'm just uncomfortable with how it'll come off if I did the interview-required nod and smile through the entire process, "sounds like it would work for me," etc., only to turn around and say no. I mean, I was constantly lying through my teeth, so it's mostly on my head, but as far as I'm concerned job interviews are carefully controlled bullshit swaps anyway.

You're not obligated to respond to them, just ignore it and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mourne posted:

What am I supposed to do with recruiters who have language and ethics issues?

I'm in PA and I have a BS in chem with a biochem concentration and a few years of paid academic lab experience. I have been applying to pharma jobs and I have a recruiter offering me 25% below base salary (according to glassdoor and salary.com) and no benefits for a company that I'd really like to work for. Should I keep playing ball with this recruiter? I'd really like to work for this company but going through the recruiter means a total compensation of 40k/yr (no health insurance, 401k, PTO) where as getting in with the company through their website would be closer to 60k/yr. The company offers 150% 401k match up to 6%, 3 weeks PTO, and good health insurance. I'm entry level with a bunch of undergrad research experience with a small school with a brand new 30$M building and a (senior) student faculty ratio of 1:1. I have learned and mastered many techniques that you typically wouldn't be exposed to until your third year in a PhD program. I understand I don't have much leverage here, but what should I do?

In addition the recruiter is clearly an ESL individual -- I can not understand them on the phone and their emails are full of typos and weird grammar and syntax. The recruiter has also been encouraging me to alter my resume to include skills that I am not familiar with. Going so far as to send me another candidates resume to "copy" to bring mine up to snuff. I didn't make any changes as the resume I was forwarded contained typos and and grammatical mistakes. This is obviously a huge red flag. Am I being scammed? The company website seems legitimate. I have a bad outside recruiter for an awesome company.

What should I do?
Does the recruiter actually work for or with the company? How did you initially get in touch with the recruiter?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Speaking of recruiters, how does one go about choosing a recruiter / head hunter agency to work with? I'm a chemical engineer and it seems like there are literally hundreds of recruiting firms out there but no real way to verify if they're good. Sure I could sign up with a bunch of them but I don't really want to put forth the "get to know you" effort a dozen times. Has anyone worked with a third party technical recruiter before and how did you find them?

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Mourne posted:

What am I supposed to do with recruiters who have language and ethics issues?

I'm in PA and I have a BS in chem with a biochem concentration and a few years of paid academic lab experience. I have been applying to pharma jobs and I have a recruiter offering me 25% below base salary (according to glassdoor and salary.com) and no benefits for a company that I'd really like to work for. Should I keep playing ball with this recruiter? I'd really like to work for this company but going through the recruiter means a total compensation of 40k/yr (no health insurance, 401k, PTO) where as getting in with the company through their website would be closer to 60k/yr. The company offers 150% 401k match up to 6%, 3 weeks PTO, and good health insurance. I'm entry level with a bunch of undergrad research experience with a small school with a brand new 30$M building and a (senior) student faculty ratio of 1:1. I have learned and mastered many techniques that you typically wouldn't be exposed to until your third year in a PhD program. I understand I don't have much leverage here, but what should I do?

In addition the recruiter is clearly an ESL individual -- I can not understand them on the phone and their emails are full of typos and weird grammar and syntax. The recruiter has also been encouraging me to alter my resume to include skills that I am not familiar with. Going so far as to send me another candidates resume to "copy" to bring mine up to snuff. I didn't make any changes as the resume I was forwarded contained typos and and grammatical mistakes. This is obviously a huge red flag. Am I being scammed? The company website seems legitimate. I have a bad outside recruiter for an awesome company.

What should I do?

Yeah this sounds super weird. I'm assuming it's an outside source recruiter - their commission is based on your salary.... anyway I'd get away from him. See if you can find an internal employee recruiter on LinkedIn or something as a way to get an "in." That's the main benefit of working with a recruiter, and it doesn't sound like he would have any good connections.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Saint Fu posted:

Speaking of recruiters, how does one go about choosing a recruiter / head hunter agency to work with? I'm a chemical engineer and it seems like there are literally hundreds of recruiting firms out there but no real way to verify if they're good. Sure I could sign up with a bunch of them but I don't really want to put forth the "get to know you" effort a dozen times. Has anyone worked with a third party technical recruiter before and how did you find them?

From my experience-
1. They'll find you if you put your resume on any jobs website like Monster or Careerbuilder.
2. You might as well get in touch with as many as you can. Most of the ones I've spoken to have taken five minutes to learn more about me, matched me to one opening, and called it a day. I'm under the impression that they go through a ton of resumes and don't have the time to get personal with all of them, so you might as well reach out to as many of them as you can to increase your chances of one sticking.

That said I got my current lab job through Aerotek, and they put in the most effort of any recruiter I've spoken to (including coming up with a second match for me after the first didn't pan out, which no other recruiter has done for me). If you're in the Chicago area I can give you contact info for the woman with whom I worked.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I actually applied for something on Indeed a few months ago and since then I've been getting flooded with calls from recruiters, even calls at work :wtc:

I'm only sort of half-heartedly browsing for opportunities right now but if you want to pm me her contact info, I'll look her up if/when I get serious about it.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Hey guys, I feel kinda conflicted right now. My friend is an assistant manager at a restaurant, and got me a position as a bistro worker, dealing with wine and coffee and stuff like that for 9/hr plus tips. I'm supposed to start within a week or so.

However, I just got an email from a call center I applied to a while back, and they're asking me to get in touch with them for a phone interview. If I got that position I'd be starting at 15/hr with benefits and a shorter commute.

My problem is I've already accepted the restaurant position, and I feel like going "sorry, I know I said I'd be able to start in two weeks, but I'm bailing now" seems like a very jerk thing to do. I feel like it'd put my friend in a bad light, considering he spoke super highly of me. Is this an irrational way of thinking? If my friend wasn't involved I'd have no problem choosing the obvious choice, but his involvement concerns me. Should I go forward with the interview considering the better pay and shorter commute, or should I stick to my word for the sake of my friends reputation in his current position?

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 6, 2015

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Ibexaz posted:

Hey guys, I feel kinda conflicted right now. My friend is an assistant manager at a restaurant, and got me a position as a bistro worker, dealing with wine and coffee and stuff like that for 9/hr plus tips. I'm supposed to start within a week or so.

However, I just got an email from a call center I applied to a while back, and they're asking me to get in touch with them for a phone interview. If I got that position I'd be starting at 15/hr with benefits and a shorter commute.

My problem is I've already accepted the restaurant position, and I feel like going "sorry, I know I said I'd be able to start in two weeks, but I'm bailing now" seems like a very jerk thing to do. I feel like it'd put my friend in a bad light, considering he spoke super highly of me. Is this an irrational way of thinking? Should I go forward with the interview considering the better pay and shorter commute, or should I stick to my word for the sake of my friends reputation in his current position?

Well, you haven't even gotten the call center job yet. Go to the interview. If you get it, don't say that you are "bailing," say you're sorry but a much better position has come along and be professional. An assistant manager will realize that these things happen. And no offense, but bistro workers aren't irreplaceable.

I think it happens pretty frequently that people get more than one offer around the same time, and have to tell the first one that they can't do it. It's business (and your living).

e: this is all assuming that you get AND want the job at the call center. If you like the idea of making tips and working with a friend then go for it. Either way it doesn't hurt to go to the interview.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Susical posted:

Well, you haven't even gotten the call center job yet. Go to the interview. If you get it, don't say that you are "bailing," say you're sorry but a much better position has come along and be professional. An assistant manager will realize that these things happen. And no offense, but bistro workers aren't irreplaceable.

I think it happens pretty frequently that people get more than one offer around the same time, and have to tell the first one that they can't do it. It's business (and your living).

Yeah, I feel you. Maybe I'm just being naïve in the way I'm perceiving the situation. I feel like if I do end up getting the call center position, I'd be perceived as just dicking around the restaurant for a week and a half when they could have had a worker already. I mean I know it's not the hardest position in the world to fill, but it just seems kinda dickish considering I've already accepted, y'know?

Ibexaz fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 6, 2015

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Dik Hz posted:

Does the recruiter actually work for or with the company? How did you initially get in touch with the recruiter?

No, it's a scientific staffing agency. He got in touch with me from a job I applied to on indeed.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

C-Euro posted:

That said I got my current lab job through Aerotek, and they put in the most effort of any recruiter I've spoken to (including coming up with a second match for me after the first didn't pan out, which no other recruiter has done for me). If you're in the Chicago area I can give you contact info for the woman with whom I worked.

Do you think she might be a good contact for someone outside of Chicago who has been trying to relocate there? I've been applying for positions in the city for over a year now, but nothing has panned out and I'm getting desperate for a serious move out of the South.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Ibexaz posted:

My problem is I've already accepted the restaurant position, and I feel like going "sorry, I know I said I'd be able to start in two weeks, but I'm bailing now" seems like a very jerk thing to do. I feel like it'd put my friend in a bad light, considering he spoke super highly of me. Is this an irrational way of thinking? If my friend wasn't involved I'd have no problem choosing the obvious choice, but his involvement concerns me. Should I go forward with the interview considering the better pay and shorter commute, or should I stick to my word for the sake of my friends reputation in his current position?

It's a kind of jerk thing to do to your friend, but it's a restaurant. They're used to turnover and flaky staff. Take the interview, and the job if you get it.

But also call center work sucks in its own unique way, so be prepared for that.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mourne posted:

No, it's a scientific staffing agency. He got in touch with me from a job I applied to on indeed.
I wouldn't expect the recruiter in this case to actually provide any benefit to you. Apply directly to the company. Also, feel free to ask the recruiter why there's such a discrepancy between the recruiter posted wage and the website posted wage. Also ask the recruiter exactly how going through him is a benefit to you. If you smell bullshit, bail.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
How much slagging off of former supervisors can I get away with during the interview & hiring process? If, for example, a potential employer asks why I left my current company, one of the main reasons I'd give (if I was being honest) is a lack of trust or confidence in the people right above me on the org chart. However, one of the people in that category is my supervisor, who I have every reason to believe will write me a glowing recommendation letter. If he writes me an amazing letter and then in the interview I say "yeah that guy was mediocre at best", that probably takes away from the impact of his letter, right?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

C-Euro posted:

How much slagging off of former supervisors can I get away with during the interview & hiring process? If, for example, a potential employer asks why I left my current company, one of the main reasons I'd give (if I was being honest) is a lack of trust or confidence in the people right above me on the org chart. However, one of the people in that category is my supervisor, who I have every reason to believe will write me a glowing recommendation letter. If he writes me an amazing letter and then in the interview I say "yeah that guy was mediocre at best", that probably takes away from the impact of his letter, right?
Don't call out a person in particular. Maybe you aren't convinced of the company's ability to execute on their mission anymore, or maybe you feel that a lot of bad decisions are being made and you'd rather be with a company on its way up than a company on its way down.

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003
Or since you moved for personal reasons can't you say that person reasons required that you follow your significant other to this city?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
There is pretty much no upside to saying something bad about your previous company, and/or anyone in it, and there is potentially large downside if the interviewer doesn't agree. I'd be curious of what other people think of saying that you moved because of your spouse. May be over thinking it, but it could be taken that you're potentially less reliable in the long term because you put their job above your own.

asur fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 7, 2015

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Dik Hz posted:

I wouldn't expect the recruiter in this case to actually provide any benefit to you. Apply directly to the company. Also, feel free to ask the recruiter why there's such a discrepancy between the recruiter posted wage and the website posted wage. Also ask the recruiter exactly how going through him is a benefit to you. If you smell bullshit, bail.

I've been following your posts for a while now, and you seem to really know what you're doing. Could you please reach out to me at alendine at gmail dot com? I would really like to have a private conversation with you.

Thanks!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

asur posted:

There is pretty much no upside to saying something bad about your previous company, and/or anyone in it, and there is potentially large downside if the interviewer doesn't agree. I'd be curious of what other people think of saying that you moved because of your spouse. May be over thinking it, but it could be taken that you're potentially less reliable in the long term because you put their job above your own.

I'd be curious about this as well, before I got my current job I interviewed with a higher-paying role here in town who, during the interview, said they were looking to hire someone who would be there for a long time. Earlier in the interview I mentioned I was in town because my fiancee was in grad school here, so I'm guessing they got scared off by that and didn't hire me. Leaving my current company after less than two years probably doesn't look great either, and her contract at her new place is only two years so if we move again that just compounds things.

Hawkeye posted:

Or since you moved for personal reasons can't you say that person reasons required that you follow your significant other to this city?

I was on my way out anyway and soon as she got a job that could support both of us if I fell into a lengthy job search, it just so happens that this one requires us to move. Probably a detail I should leave out of the interview, huh?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 17, 2017

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

C-Euro posted:

I'd be curious about this as well, before I got my current job I interviewed with a higher-paying role here in town who, during the interview, said they were looking to hire someone who would be there for a long time. Earlier in the interview I mentioned I was in town because my fiancee was in grad school here, so I'm guessing they got scared off by that and didn't hire me. Leaving my current company after less than two years probably doesn't look great either, and her contract at her new place is only two years so if we move again that just compounds things.

I've NEVER had a company just drop it when they're asking why I'm moving to a city and I say it's for personal reasons. They always badger me about why and any interview where I dodge that subject has never resulted in an offer. I try to be vague about it since my husband is military which means leaving in 2-3 years which pretty much kills any chance of an offer right then and there, but when I try to be vague and just say "my husband got a job here and we're relocating" they always, always badger me about where and what his job is and won't relent till I tell them a specific company and position. If I decline to answer it sets off red flags and if I do answer it tanks my chances of an offer. I could always lie I guess but that would come back to bite me later.

So what I've done is become a contractor doing 6+ month stints at various places and it actually pays better than equivalent salaried jobs since it's hourly with no benefits.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Continuing on from my previous posts, I have made it through to an assessment center for a data analyst job at Sportsbet.

I was wondering what usually happens at the assessment center, I understand that there will be an interview, but what else would also be there? And what should I do to prepare for such a thing?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Had an interview yesterday but it was cancelled with 3 hours notice. Que sera. On the upside, there were two headhunters in my mailbox this morning, with possibly relevant positions. Searching for work is a severe drag.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Raphisonfire posted:

Continuing on from my previous posts, I have made it through to an assessment center for a data analyst job at Sportsbet.

I was wondering what usually happens at the assessment center, I understand that there will be an interview, but what else would also be there? And what should I do to prepare for such a thing?

Make sure you know how to do a pivot table, vlookup, and how to use the word "Pareto" correctly.

You will be fine.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Raphisonfire posted:

An assessment center will usually involve you doing some aspect of the actual work (or a reasonable approximation of it).

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Very simple question. Mentioning the job title and your interest: essential to do in the first sentence of a cover letter, or can you do it in the second after using the first as a segue?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

tirinal posted:

Very simple question. Mentioning the job title and your interest: essential to do in the first sentence of a cover letter, or can you do it in the second after using the first as a segue?
Doesn't matter, if someone has thrown out your cover letter or stopped reading after the first sentence you've already lost

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Questions about references:

1. What information do I need to provide? Just the name, position and company, and a phone number?

2. What sort of people should I have for references? Do I keep it strictly to people I've worked for/with in a professional capacity, or can I list friends who can vouch for me as a reliable worker? For instance, a friend I've helped with a move into a new house, or neighbors I've helped with home improvement projects, and the like?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Meaty Ore posted:

Questions about references:

1. What information do I need to provide? Just the name, position and company, and a phone number?

2. What sort of people should I have for references? Do I keep it strictly to people I've worked for/with in a professional capacity, or can I list friends who can vouch for me as a reliable worker? For instance, a friend I've helped with a move into a new house, or neighbors I've helped with home improvement projects, and the like?

I'd also list their relationship with you. Stick with bosses, colleagues, clients, and teachers. I think anything else is going to confuse the hiring manager.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
On a job posting I'm considering applying for, current salary is a mandatory, open-ended field. I'd prefer not to list my salary as it will probably be used to peg me on the lower end of the position's pay range. Is there any creative way to get around this?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

GobiasIndustries posted:

On a job posting I'm considering applying for, current salary is a mandatory, open-ended field. I'd prefer not to list my salary as it will probably be used to peg me on the lower end of the position's pay range. Is there any creative way to get around this?

Just type $1.

rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'd prefer not to list my salary

Can you put a range down instead? When you get to the actual negotiation process, and they try to pin you down, just say you have to take the whole compensation package in account.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

rt_hat posted:

Can you put a range down instead? When you get to the actual negotiation process, and they try to pin you down, just say you have to take the whole compensation package in account.

They're not asking for my salary requirements, they're asking for my actual current salary, so I don't think putting a range down would make sense. Can I just lie and put what I'd like to get paid? They can't actually get my current salary from my employer, can they?

VVV edit:

Alfalfa posted:

Hey really have no legal way to check what you are actually making (do they) so put what you want to make.
I'm not a government employee so I would assume they don't, but this will be my 2nd job after graduating so I'm unfamiliar with most of how this works.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 10, 2015

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

GobiasIndustries posted:

They're not asking for my salary requirements, they're asking for my actual current salary.

Hey really have no legal way to check what you are actually making (do they) so put what you want to make.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

They can demand a pay stub, but gently caress that kind of employer.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 11, 2015

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
poo poo, poo poo, poo poo.

I'm recently laid off, and just beginning to send out resumes, and I discover that when I Google my name, the first hit is an article written 7 years ago about a band I was in, and in the article I talk openly about using psychedelics. Anything I can do to bury this ?

Should I just change my name ?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Ask the website to takedown the article or edit it to remove your name.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

asur posted:

Ask the website to takedown the article or edit it to remove your name.

Yeah, definitely try this. Also just create a bunch of other generic social media pages (Twitter, LinkedIn, a blog) so at least they'll appear in the search results as well. There's services you can pay money to that will basically do the same thing and try to bury the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 17, 2017