Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm 9 episodes into season 2 so far. Not much to say. Show's good. They made Fitz into an interesting character, managed to turn the stupid decision to kill Coulson in Avengers into an interesting story, and guaranteed an infinite supply of Patton Oswalt. That chick with the cyber mask that got burned to her face so now she looks like May but with a hosed up face is so great and comic booky and proper SHIELD poo poo, I love it.

I am a little disappointed in the lack of super powered people. Absorbing Man was so great, and they made such a big deal about HYDRA having all the info on people with super powers, I kinda thought a lot more would've popped up.

Also I don't care about Simmons. at all ever forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

Black Widow took on the Hulk and an alien invasion. May shot a little girl in the head.

Its no contest.

Took on the hulk? Ran away from and then curled into a ball for a few minutes maybe.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

boom boom boom posted:

Also I don't care about Simmons. at all ever forever

She gets interestinger as the season progresses, though it feels like she's at a disadvantage in terms of writing. It doesn't seem like her character arc is as thought out or consistent as most of the other SHIELD members.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Apoplexy posted:

Bobbi is pretty bland outside of her complete inability to tell the truth. Lance Hunter is the best new character of the season, even beating Mack.

How can you say that when season 2 introduced Cal?

greatn posted:

I would argue May may be more badass. The berserker staff causes you to relive your life's most traumatic moment and multiply it by a bunch to induce rage.

Having just rewatched this, it's significantly more badass after the Bahrain flashback.

It had little effect on May compared to Ward because May sees Bahrain all the time. At least, that's what she says in the Berserker Staff episode.

greatn posted:

Took on the hulk? Ran away from and then curled into a ball for a few minutes maybe.

I'm pretty sure that's the best any completely unaugmented human has ever done against the Hulk, to be fair.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
General Ross don't let the hulk get him down.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
General Ross has tons of big guns and cannon fodder in front of him.

Still think it would have been cool if it were Ross instead of Talbot in the show but obviously that could never happen.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
So, when Raina meets with Cal at the end of season one, wasn't he sitting naked covered in blood? What was up with that? I hope they tie that in somehow.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He's a doctor and he's a Hulk-like monstrosity who rends victims limb from limb.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

So, when Raina meets with Cal at the end of season one, wasn't he sitting naked covered in blood? What was up with that? I hope they tie that in somehow.

I figured he was just chilling after killing some Hydra guys for fun.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

He's a doctor and he's a Hulk-like monstrosity who rends victims limb from limb.

They fight crime?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

greatn posted:

Maybe he's referring to that "Hulk smash Black Widow" gif

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He periodically freaks the gently caress out and murders a bunch of people nearby. He did that in one of the very first episodes of this season, for example.

This kind of highlights some issues with Agent Carter, actually. Agents of SHIELD has a variety of characters to be interested in. Agent Carter has...Agent Carter.

I mean yeah, lower episode count, and the SHIELD guys weren't fascinating by any means for most of season 1, but that's something Agent Carter really needs to improve next season.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The Sharmat posted:

He periodically freaks the gently caress out and murders a bunch of people nearby. He did that in one of the very first episodes of this season, for example.

Yes, however the aftermath was never as bad as the first teaser made things out to be, and how the Hydra/Shield report on finding Skye made things out to be.

It could just be from being on network television, I suppose.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Kaizer88 posted:

I like that she's tall and muscular. It's easy to see that'd she's an awesome hand-to-hand combatant. Kinda hard to take May seriously as the unarmed master when you see her and Bobbi standing next to each other and Bobbi is a full head taller than her.

You realise that height isn't the be all for hand to hand combat right?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
My wife called Ward shooting the dog immediately. When I told her there was a big controversy about it she said, "Why are people stupid?"

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Phylodox posted:

My wife called Ward shooting the dog immediately. When I told her there was a big controversy about it she said, "Why are people stupid?"

I like your wife

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can see why people would think Ward didn't shoot the dog. You'd have to be blind or stupid not to get that Ward and May were loving though.

Mr Beens posted:

You realise that height isn't the be all for hand to hand combat right?
Reach never hurts.

She definitely looks like she could more credibly kick someone's rear end in hand to hand combat than Scarlett Johansson.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

The Sharmat posted:

This kind of highlights some issues with Agent Carter, actually. Agents of SHIELD has a variety of characters to be interested in. Agent Carter has...Agent Carter.

I mean yeah, lower episode count, and the SHIELD guys weren't fascinating by any means for most of season 1, but that's something Agent Carter really needs to improve next season.

Jarvis and Dottie are more interesting characters than most of the SHIELD characters, and Howard Stark had his moments, though that was mostly down to Dominic Cooper's charisma rather than the writing. But other than that, yeah, Agent Carter could do with a more fleshed out ensemble. I guess they gave Chad Michael Murray's character some depth, inasmuch as he went from bland chauvinist to cowardly, traumatized opportunist. And the Chief had a good final episode, and Fenhoff was a decent villain (though the hypnosis got kind of ridiculous in how OP it was).
Enver Gjokaj's character had a lot of potential that was largely unused except for his rad moment in the last episode.

Interesting characters on SHIELD: Crazy Ward, Cal, Raina, May recently, Fitz, Bobbi (but more for how much rear end she gets to kick on a regular basis than any character development)
Coulson, Skye, and Simmons have always been kind of boring/inconsistently written. I like Hunter well enough, but ehhhh? Tripp was charming, but his death barely had any impact because he wasn't given much interesting to do in this season.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Jarvis isn't interesting in and of himself really, the actor that plays him just knocks it out of the park.

But I don't find Bobbi interesting in any way so we clearly have different standards.

EDIT: I thought the hypnosis was bullshit too but then they established later in the series that he was just using it to augment super powers he already had, and I was fine with it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Spatula City posted:

Jarvis and Dottie are more interesting characters than most of the SHIELD characters, and Howard Stark had his moments, though that was mostly down to Dominic Cooper's charisma rather than the writing. But other than that, yeah, Agent Carter could do with a more fleshed out ensemble.

The worst part about Agent Carter was when the agents apologized to Carter at the end after she completely hosed up their investigation and cost dozens of lives because of her rampant penis envy.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I know it's an Irish Joe post, but it's so hard to resist refuting.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's a little strong.

I didn't like how most of the agents were either redshirts or completely irredeemable like that one rear end in a top hat that took all the credit for everything. Though even then he really shouldn't have been completely irredeemable. The thing that apparently traumatized him so much wasn't particularly egregious. I mean yeah they were surrendering and poo poo, but for one thing, the Japanese were known for pulling all kinds of dirty tricks involving "surrendering", for another, sneaking up to the perimeter of a camp in the middle of the night is a good way to get shot no matter what your intentions are. Still enjoyed the show though. Just thought it was a bit too on the nose sometimes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Irish Joe posted:

The worst part about Agent Carter was when the agents apologized to Carter at the end after she completely hosed up their investigation and cost dozens of lives because of her rampant penis envy.

What the gently caress is wrong with you

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is it really that hard to figure out?

Irish Joe has an outlook and set of opinions counter to most goons in the threads he posts in. He deliberately exaggerates them just to see people flip the gently caress out over it.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
And he's a master at it. I tossed him on ignore a while back but still see pretty much all his posts from people quoting and arguing with him.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I had him on ignore for awhile but to be honest most threads are worse without his posts.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Blazing Ownager posted:

I pretty much agree.

There's something about her that's... too perfect, too Hollywood that gets me too, it's hard to put my finger on it. Maybe it's the higher-than-average age of the crew on SHIELD or how they all look like seasoned veterans. She always kind of looks like a runway model comparatively.

Lance owns, though.

She follows the unwritten law that a female character will beat the poo poo out of 20 man with no issues, while a guy like Mack will get his rear end kicked every time.

Ward was the only good male fighter of the show and he turned out to be evil.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

greatn posted:

Tell me, what would you do differently if you faced the Hulk?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Dalael posted:

Ward was the only good male fighter of the show and he turned out to be evil.

Ward had his rear end kicked by a 50 year old Asian woman.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Irish Jute doors have somewhat of a point. Carter's off the books investigations directly resulted in a bunch of agents getting killed including the chief and didn't really accomplish much before the dénouement where they all had to work together.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Sharmat posted:

Ward had his rear end kicked by a 50 year old Asian woman.

Daredevil got his rear end kicked by a handicapped 90 year old Asian woman.

Asian women are scary

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Azhais posted:

Daredevil got his rear end kicked by a handicapped 90 year old Asian woman.

Asian women are scary

That woman was neither handicapped nor Asian. She may not have even been 90.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Man, I really hope they loving kill that douchebag guy off next episode. I still don't get his motivations and just want him to die already.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

Bruceski posted:

If the show had followed RealSHIELD, for that matter, Gonzales would seem less dickish and Coulson more unhinged.

How so? What has Gonzales done as head of RealSHIELD? He's thwarted 0 hydra plots, discovered 0 alien cities, turned 0 cyborg agents and failed to murder Skye. Also, he tried to stop FakeSHIELD from saving Nick Fury's rear end with a helicarrier out of nowhere. He'd look like an even bigger dummy if we spent more time focusing on his abject failure.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
But he lets an extremely small subset of SHIELD members vote!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

greatn posted:

Irish Jute doors have somewhat of a point. Carter's off the books investigations directly resulted in a bunch of agents getting killed including the chief and didn't really accomplish much before the dénouement where they all had to work together.

Yeah but that would have happened no matter what and her investigation made it possible that the number of people who died were less than planned.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gonzales also rebranded SHIELD with a new logo.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The real problem with the SSR is that they didn't recognize the Soviet menace. As always an English person had to warn the Americans about the horrors behind the Iron Curtain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Acinonyx posted:

How so? What has Gonzales done as head of RealSHIELD? He's thwarted 0 hydra plots, discovered 0 alien cities, turned 0 cyborg agents and failed to murder Skye. Also, he tried to stop FakeSHIELD from saving Nick Fury's rear end with a helicarrier out of nowhere. He'd look like an even bigger dummy if we spent more time focusing on his abject failure.

He also believe that a secret organization can exists without keeping secrets and can work with a democratic kind of leadership. He's an idiot, and his death will be more meaningful than anything he's done since the event of the Winter soldier.

• Locked thread