Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Scrotos posted:

But they are saying you wont see history unless they are your guys, so advanced wont matter to see aging.

Currently projections on players over the age of 27 show current and projected ratings as being the exact same. What if with a little better advance scouting they show that the 87 range SS you're picking up in FA will be an 85 by next season? What if the 31 year old 97 power 1B is going to age really badly but the 32 year old 88 power guy is going to level off slower? There's lots of ways they can go here.

To be honest this game is really stupid right now and I'm bored of it. You can project a guy's entire career from birth to death (barring serious injuries) within a couple points. It's dumb and unrealistic and anything that shakes up this stale 10 year old game is worth it IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Surprise of the season? Other than all my old players being worthless garbage?

29 year old rookie Dallas Garcia putting up 86 innings of pretty darn decent leftballing. Not world shattering by any means but as a "we're giving up" call-up he was better than expected.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

i agree that players need to be more unpredictable and i hope in particular that the DITR changes actually make DITR worth a poo poo

ANYWAY having lost my last 6 games to wrap up the season by rolling out garbage lineups and Napoleon Dickinson to get pummeled in what is probably his last ML appearance, i am ready as fvck for the playoffs

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Devo posted:

There's lots of ways they can go here.

None of which have they indicated that they are going to go with.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

None of which have they indicated that they are going to go with.

Well I mean they can always trade out this dumb boring system for another dumb boring system and then I can quit after my season credits are used up so it's win/win for me

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I mean, there's certainly potential for good there and I'd like to be optimistic but it's WIS we're talking about here, they haven't earned it.

There are certainly plenty of areas that the game has room to improve or fine tune and I agree that it is pretty stale on the whole. For me, though, the fact that it's 32 actual people all playing against each other keeps the game as fresh as it can, all things considered, and that gives it a fair bit of longevity to me that it otherwise wouldn't have. If the engine were for BBM or something I'd have checked out long ago. But with that in mind I'd rather they take the time to make sure that the changes they have are actually going to do what they want and are healthy for the game, and then phase those changes in gradually. And maybe actually tell the userbase in advance what their plans are and open it to discussion early in development instead of just setting a date three weeks in advance and then ignoring anything that may come up? I dunno.

WIS gonna WIS, though.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I'm happy that my team underperformed it's pythag to the tune of 8 games and I lost a poo poo division by 3 games. gently caress YOU HBD.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

A 35-win swing with no major injuries and Shayne Kearns -> Vinny Stewart, Larry Haynes -> Rudy McDowell, and Chris Harper -> TJ Miller being my only major roster changes. ffs

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

That team finishing .500 is about as inexplicable as it gets

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
My first ever playoff victory :unsmith:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

tatankatonk posted:

My first ever playoff victory :unsmith:

inshallah, your last

chutwig
May 28, 2001

not dead yet! (but will be soon)

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

down 2-1 to an absentee team and i just lost another goddamn pitcher to injury

between the injury bullshit and the other changes I might just play out this 10-pack and find something else to do with my life that isn't so loving stupid

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
You just won the ws last season man, I've never even won a playoff series

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

gardenald posted:

You just won the ws last season man, I've never even won a playoff series

between this and olives' dumb response on twitter can i just point out that i have 9 teams that all piss me off and also I loving want to die right now anyway so yeah, just let me bitch

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

i have 9 teams

Perhaps this is part of the problem

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

Perhaps this is part of the problem

good contribution

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

Nerokerubina posted:

get ready y'all because the One True Cody is back

I want to die.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Here's the latest on the injury James Page at the ML level suffered [Hamstring, strained/stiff/tight]. He's gonna be out around 16 HBD days and should probably be placed on the 15-Day DL. We'll let you know if anything changes on the road to recovery. Good luck!!!

I loving give up

chutwig
May 28, 2001

NOT DEAD YET

YET

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

nasboat posted:

good contribution

Dude. Relax. You're flying off the handle these past couple days.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Dude. Relax. You're flying off the handle these past couple days.

I've made a total of four posts in two days and none of them are really that out of the ordinary, and one (again, relatively normal) world chat post

sorry if I've felt like poo poo and get annoyed more easily

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

nasboat posted:

I've made a total of four posts in two days and none of them are really that out of the ordinary, and one (again, relatively normal) world chat post

sorry if I've felt like poo poo and get annoyed more easily

Hey man, no matter how frustrated you get with hbd, just remember it could always be worse

After all, you're not Art

chutwig
May 28, 2001

i'm about to get knocked out of the playoffs in the wild card round again after 8 frustrating seasons of crap but hey hey hey it's okay it's just a game

chutwig
May 28, 2001

drat

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Theme of Dimaggio Season 31 - 31 owners who hate the season

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I like the season and game and do not allow it to significantly affect my mood

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

i mean if I need to spell it out for everyone, I have been depressed for non-HBD reasons and therefore have been extra salty or down in the dumps

it does not have anything to do directly with HBD

i am fine

please carry on

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

shoutout to my team for not collapsing

shoutout to me for not paying attention and starting Volstad over Sean Creek

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

nasboat posted:

shoutout to my team for not collapsing

shoutout to me for not paying attention and starting Volstad over Sean Creek

But I don't want to play you. I demand a recount!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Scrotos posted:

it's okay, King Figueroa figures prominently into my playoff rotation which is absolutely always a recipe for disaster and defeat

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Scrotos posted:

And i don't want to play jeff because he always kills me

I'll trade you

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Oh well

First winning season, first time making the playoffs :toot:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

I like the season and game and do not allow it to significantly affect my mood

That was hyperbolical on my part - I'm super disappointed in how this season turned out, but I still really enjoy HBD.

Honestly, I have easy narratives for the next few seasons:
S32: Bounceback/Redemption
S33: Ocean's Eleven-style One Last Score (Gill Hooper, Vladimir Thompson, Nate Floyd, Todd Hutchinson, Gerardo Sanchez, Vinny Stewart, and Lewis Stammen's contracts expire)
S34: Oh God What Do I Do Now/Rebuilding

E: Giving Stewart/Stammen two more years probably isn't a great idea because they're old as hell but I have no worthwhile pieces to move and it's not like I'm going to get much better, plus I've had Stammen since taking over this franchise~

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 10, 2015

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Fourth straight season playing AV in the second round. It usually hasn't ended well for me.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
charles forbes owns

Ellis Zornes also owns

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 10, 2015

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

the single best player on my team, who started the year with 93 health, has gone to the 60-day twice in a season, okay. hbd is what it is

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm feeling pretty good. Yasiel has been amazing, weinhardt and Tony Feliz is coming, and I like my 2 SP's who will be up in 3 seasons.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm feeling pretty good.

i lied. HBD is awful. shut it down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Nerokerubina posted:

i lied. HBD is awful. shut it down

Hatas gon' hate :v:

• Locked thread