Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Virtually every study ever done says that moderate min wage increases have no, or a very slightly negative impact on unemployment. The policy is highly imperfect and has some drags but it is easily administered and overall, when the increases are moderate, it is a good policy for the poor.

$15/hr won't be a big problem by the time it rolls round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

VitalSigns posted:

Lucky you, we're actually practically there already! The US minimum wage is currently set somewhere between gently caress-you and crime-against-humanity so really all we'd have to do to be like Denmark is have the large collective bargaining agreements that they have which set even fast food jobs at almost 3 times what we make here in the USA.

I take it then you support the recent fast food worker strikes here in the USA that strive to attain the Denmark collective bargaining model for us?

Why are you attributing the Danish McWage to their unions instead of market conditions? Why do (unionized) software engineers in Denmark make less money than un-unionized software engineers in California?

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes, I'd like to see a citation, as the arguments that it will lower employment at the rate being discussed seems to be completely illogical. I'd also like to see a citation about the price raise actually being a bad one.

Sure, they're easy to find, this one just came out in one of the top 4 economics journals.

Here's the WSJ condensed version of it, though if you want to read the whole paper: MaCurdy, Thomas, 2015, How Effective Is the Minimum Wage at Supporting the Poor?, Journal of Political Economy.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/thomas-macurdy-the-minimum-wage-stealth-tax-on-the-poor-1424644567

quote:

In a peer-reviewed study, “How Effective Is the Minimum Wage at Supporting the Poor?” (forthcoming in the Journal of Political Economy), I analyzed who won and who lost after Congress raised the minimum wage in 1996 to $5.15 from $4.25, a raise that occurred in phases over the period 1996-97. That would be comparable to raising the current minimum wage of $7.25 to nearly $8.80. The results show the failure of minimum-wage hikes as an antipoverty policy.

To be sure, companies on their own—such as Wal-Mart last week—do raise the wages of their lowest-paid workers, typically when it is necessary to retain a stable, productive workforce. But this isn’t the same as a government-mandated, economy wide raise. Still, most Americans favor such mandated increases because they believe it helps poor workers support their families.

One problem is that only about 5% of families have children and are supported by low-wage earnings; another is that higher minimum wages cause some workers to lose their jobs. Advocates of a higher minimum wage argue that the number of workers who gain far exceeds those who lose. Whatever the credibility of this calculus, there is yet another problem: If someone’s income is arbitrarily increased thanks to a legislatively mandated wage increase, someone else must pay for it.

Since economic evidence indicates that higher minimum wages don’t significantly affect employers’ profit rates, advocates instead say that employers will pass on these increased labor costs by raising the prices of their goods and services—and that “society,” or more affluent consumers, will pay these costs.

But will low-income families earn more from an increase in the minimum wage than they will pay as consumers of the now higher-priced goods? My research strongly suggests that they won’t.

The first step in understanding why they won’t is to recognize that minimum-wage workers are typically not in low-income families; instead they are dispersed evenly among families rich, middle-class and poor. About one in five families in the bottom fifth of the income distribution had a minimum-wage worker affected by the 1996 increase, the same share as for families in the top fifth.

Virtually as much of the additional earnings of minimum-wage workers went to the highest-income families as to the lowest. Moreover, only about $1 in $5 of the addition went to families with children supported by low-wage earnings. As many economists already have noted, raising the minimum wage is at best a scattershot approach to raising the income of poor families.

The second step is to consider who actually bears the burden of higher labor costs that are passed on through higher prices of goods and services.

My analysis, using the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Consumer Expenditure Survey, showed that the 1996 minimum-wage hike raised prices on a broad variety of goods and services. Food purchased outside of the home bore the largest share of the increased consumption costs, accounting for 21% with an average price increase of slightly less than of 2%; the next highest shares were around 10% for such commodities as retail services, groceries and household personal services.

Overall, the extra costs attributable to higher prices equaled 0.63% of the nondurable goods purchased by the poorest fifth of families and 0.52% of the goods purchased by the top fifth—with the percentage falling as the income level rose.

The higher prices, in other words, resembled a regressive value-added, or sales, tax, with rates rising the lower a family’s income. This is sharply contrary to normal tax policy. A typical state sales tax has a uniform rate—but with necessities such as food excluded, and this exclusion (which exists as well in countries with a value-added tax) is adopted expressly to lower the effective tax rate on consumption by people with lower incomes.

My analysis concludes that more poor families were losers than winners from the 1996 hike in the minimum wage. Nearly one in five low-income families benefited, but all low-income families paid for the increase through higher prices.

Essentially what he did was he matched the price effects of a minimum wage increase with the consumption patterns of different income groups and found that companies responded to minimum wage increases by passing on costs, but most importantly, they passed on the costs to the poorest people in society. The really really big losers of an increase in the minimum wage were poor people who were not affected by the change.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Why are you attributing the Danish McWage to their unions instead of market conditions? Why do (unionized) software engineers in Denmark make less money than un-unionized software engineers in California?

Sure, they're easy to find, this one just came out in one of the top 4 economics journals.

Here's the WSJ condensed version of it, though if you want to read the whole paper: MaCurdy, Thomas, 2015, How Effective Is the Minimum Wage at Supporting the Poor?, Journal of Political Economy.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/thomas-macurdy-the-minimum-wage-stealth-tax-on-the-poor-1424644567

Essentially what he did was he matched the price effects of a minimum wage increase with the consumption patterns of different income groups and found that companies responded to minimum wage increases by passing on costs, but most importantly, they passed on the costs to the poorest people in society. The really really big losers of an increase in the minimum wage were poor people who were not affected by the change.

Assuming the premise of that article for the moment, we should simply pair minimum wage increases with increased tax credits to the poor and leverage that cost by taxing top earners.

Bonus, we're giving workers more freedom to pick their employment with the tax credits which may drive wages higher naturally too, which is what you seem to want as well.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

QuarkJets posted:

If the argument is that a minimum wage increase causes a price increase, then that should be true even if the minimum wage increase is small. It's fascinating that people will continue to claim that even a small increase will result in a price increase despite all evidence to the contrary.

I'm not obfuscating anything, you loving intellectual child. Even if 100% of the minimum wage increase goes into increased prices, minimum wage employees still come out way ahead in the game. But in reality, the prices of goods and services are not set by input costs alone.

You can't even correctly solve a 3rd grade math problem, why the gently caress should your opinion on economics matter?

If I burn a dollar bill theory says that will cause economy-wide deflation. A study isn't going to detect that. Sometimes the signal-to-noise ratio really is too low. We both know economic studies face this challenge and it's the case that the amount of dollars involved in typical minimum wage policy is small.

Also again, according to supporters even if all of the costs are absorbed by the capitalist class minimum wage is supposed to increase overall demand . That's inflationary as well.

I'll say for the 4th time that I don't consider inflation to be a major problem here. But it's certainly true that for multiple reasons minimum wage puts upward pressure on inflation. The correct answer from supporters is "who cares if its small", not "it won't happen".

VitalSigns posted:

"We need only count the dollars" is amazingly ignorant.

If it's only the absolute number of dollars that's important, then the larger a country is, the more minimum wage will hurt the economy since we've got more workers and therefore more total dollars :pseudo:

E: I feel like I need to lay down some sixth-grade math: percentages

Say I have three workers: one earning $7/hr, one earning $8, and one earning $9.

If the minimum wage goes up to $8, that's an extra $1 I'm paying every hour.
If the minimum wage goes up to $9, I'm now paying an extra $3 an hour. OMG that's three times the dollars, that's so much!1!!!!!1! It's exponential!!!!11!1!11!

But if you look at it in proportion to my total labor costs...
My initial cost is 7+8+9 = $24
Minimum wage of $8, my costs are 8+8+9=$25. 25/24 is a 4.2% increase
Minimum wage of $9, my costs are 9+9+9=$27. 27/24 is a 12.5% increase

Is that more, yeah obviously. But even though the $9 minimum wage costs me three times as many total extra dollars as the $8 minimum wage increase did, it's only a small increase in percentage terms.

Hell even if we raised it to $15, my costs are 15+15+15 = $45. 45/24 is an 88% increase. I more than doubled the minimum wage, and my labor costs didn't even quite double. And if I'd had more workers in between $9 and $15, then the percentage increase would be even smaller. This is not an exponential. It's not even a linear increase given this distribution because even though I more than doubled the minimum wage, my labor costs went up by less than 100%. I suspect the actual relationship is some flavor of logarithmic depending on the underlying wage distribution but I can't be assed to create a proof right now.

TLDR: Not only are total labor costs not an exponential function of the minimum wage, they're actually only a linear function of the minimum wage in the special case in which all affected workers make the minimum wage. If any of the affected workers make more, then y(A*x) < A*y(x) and the effect on labor costs is actually less than what you would expect if you assumed a linear relationship (One criterion for a linear relationship is, of course y(A*x) = A*y(x) )

This is completely wrong VitalSigns. All of it.

AX^2 is exponential regardless of the value of A. By phrasing things in terms of percent increase all you did was plug in a fraction for A.

Your example is a perfect illustration of exactly why it's exponential. Because the first dollar went to 1 person, the second dollar went to 2 people and the 3rd dollar went to 3 people. That's exponential and roughly matches the economy which has a similar staggered wage distribution.

And finally we really do want to focus mostly on the impact itself. If my proposal changes wages by X total dollars and your proposal changes wages by 8X total dollars that's an 8X increase in impact and the impact is the thing we're going for (or trying to avoid).

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 10, 2015

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mo_Steel posted:

Assuming the premise of that article for the moment, we should simply pair minimum wage increases with increased tax credits to the poor and leverage that cost by taxing top earners.

Bonus, we're giving workers more freedom to pick their employment with the tax credits which may drive wages higher naturally too, which is what you seem to want as well.

Why would you increase the minimum wage at all? Your post doesn't make any sense or you misunderstood the article (the point wasn't that minimum wage increases weren't big enough, it's that many poor people are not affected by them but see the rising costs because they shop at businesses that use minimum wage labor). The point was that the minimum wage is a policy that helps low wage workers, who are not necessarily all poor. In response, places employing them raise prices, and it turns out that a lot of these places are actually patronized by poor people. And these poor people for the most part don't benefit from minimum wage increases (because they don't work, or work at wages above the minimum wage but have other costs etc.) So it doesn't make sense to mix it with any policy. Especially with a policy that gives tax credits to low income working people, who are already the group that is presumed to benefit from minimum wage increases.

If you want to increase EITC, just vote Republican.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Lmao. Sure, vote republican while they gut social services for the same people EITC benefits, if they even would pass EITC improvements at all.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Why would you increase the minimum wage at all? Your post doesn't make any sense or you misunderstood the article (the point wasn't that minimum wage increases weren't big enough, it's that many poor people are not affected by them but see the rising costs because they shop at businesses that use minimum wage labor). The point was that the minimum wage is a policy that helps low wage workers, who are not necessarily all poor. In response, places employing them raise prices, and it turns out that a lot of these places are actually patronized by poor people. And these poor people for the most part don't benefit from minimum wage increases (because they don't work, or work at wages above the minimum wage but have other costs etc.) So it doesn't make sense to mix it with any policy. Especially with a policy that gives tax credits to low income working people, who are already the group that is presumed to benefit from minimum wage increases.

I understood the article fine, the author compared the impacts to a VAT on poor consumers, particularly unemployed poor consumers who didn't receive the benefit of the mininmum wage increase directly, so I assumed the premise and proposed that when raising the minimum wage they should also provide a tax credit to low-income consumers. It doesn't need to be a function of the EITC, it can be a negative income tax credit. Then you offset the proposed increase in prices for the non-employed poor and the employed poor while also increasing their bargaining position with potential employers even more than a regular minimum wage increase does.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ignoring that study's garbage methodology, it doesn't even provide evidence for what I asked for.

A 2% increase in goods is not a severe price increase when compared against a 21% increase in wages.

The comparison to a regressive tax is also absolutely absurd, since the minimum wage obviously didn't increase the wages of the top earners.

Of course prices will rise - prices will raise even if we just give the poor folks free money, due to increased demand. A price increase of less than the inflation value does not in any way indicate a bad price increase.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mo_Steel posted:

I understood the article fine, the author compared the impacts to a VAT on poor consumers, particularly unemployed poor consumers who didn't receive the benefit of the mininmum wage increase directly, so I assumed the premise and proposed that when raising the minimum wage they should also provide a tax credit to low-income consumers. It doesn't need to be a function of the EITC, it can be a negative income tax credit. Then you offset the proposed increase in prices for the non-employed poor and the employed poor while also increasing their bargaining position with potential employers even more than a regular minimum wage increase does.

Or just give poor people money directly, instead of trying to give poor people money through something like the minimum wage which gives money to low wage workers (who are not all poor) and ends up hurting poor people. It's one of the worst policies available for helping poor people.

GlyphGryph posted:

Ignoring that study's garbage methodology, it doesn't even provide evidence for what I asked for.

A 2% increase in goods is not a severe price increase when compared against a 21% increase in wages.

The comparison to a regressive tax is also absolutely absurd, since the minimum wage obviously didn't increase the wages of the top earners.

Of course prices will rise - prices will raise even if we just give the poor folks free money, due to increased demand. A price increase of less than the inflation value does not in any way indicate a bad price increase.

What the paper does is look at who gets a 21% increase in wages and who gets a 2% increase in prices. (Assuming your numbers are not pulled out of your rear end for now, they probably are though)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Or just give poor people money directly, instead of trying to give poor people money through something like the minimum wage which gives money to low wage workers (who are not all poor) and ends up hurting poor people. It's one of the worst policies available for helping poor people.

lmao

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Since it is :siren: POLITICALLY IMPOSSIBLE :siren: to just give poor people money directly, are you claiming that raising the minimum wage would harm poor people more than maintaining the status quo, wherein poor people many times have to work multiple jobs for more than 40 hours a week (sometimes approaching 60+) just to pay the bills, and there's a raft of studies that disagree with the one you just dropped in here?

Here's a summary of the CBO's study that laughs in the face of your claims.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Since it is :siren: POLITICALLY IMPOSSIBLE :siren: to just give poor people money directly, are you claiming that raising the minimum wage would harm poor people more than maintaining the status quo, wherein poor people many times have to work multiple jobs for more than 40 hours a week (sometimes approaching 60+) just to pay the bills, and there's a raft of studies that disagree with the one you just dropped in here?

So post one other study that has actually tracked which groups of people benefit and which groups don't as a result of minimum wage increases.

And you're getting confused about who actual minimum wage workers are, which seems to be a common theme among the left-wing posters here (hint: they're not all people working 3 jobs just to get by)

WSJ Article posted:

The first step in understanding why they won’t is to recognize that minimum-wage workers are typically not in low-income families; instead they are dispersed evenly among families rich, middle-class and poor. About one in five families in the bottom fifth of the income distribution had a minimum-wage worker affected by the 1996 increase, the same share as for families in the top fifth.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Are we at the point of the thread where we're defining minimum wage worker as "people working exactly $7.25/hr" instead of "anyone whose wage would go up if it was placed at $15/hr" ?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since you snuck that in with an edit, let's address that separately.

The CBO analysis does not track who the consumers that are affected by price increases are unlike the article, therefore it is unable to as accurately look at who is affected. Secondly, the CBO analysis does not address (e: pre-existing) non-working poor people at all in their analysis of incomes (instead they look just at those laid off), while these people were the biggest losers in the Macurdy paper due to rising prices. Even there, the CBO notes that the biggest winners will not be the poorest workers but instead people making between 1.0 and 3.0 times the poverty line.

Also, contrary to your earlier claims, the CBO analysis notes that people will actually lose their jobs under a minimum wage increase.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 10, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

This is completely wrong VitalSigns. All of it.

AX^2 is exponential regardless of the value of A. By phrasing things in terms of percent increase all you did was plug in a fraction for A.

Your example is a perfect illustration of exactly why it's exponential. Because the first dollar went to 1 person, the second dollar went to 2 people and the 3rd dollar went to 3 people. That's exponential and roughly matches the economy which has a similar staggered wage distribution.

And finally we really do want to focus mostly on the impact itself. If my proposal changes wages by X total dollars and your proposal changes wages by 8X total dollars that's an 8X increase in impact and the impact is the thing we're going for (or trying to avoid).

Describing it by total dollars doesn't make sense. That would imply that the same minimum wage change in a larger economy has a bigger impact on the economy because there are more workers, therefore more dollars. But, duh, the bigger economy is better able to absorb the change because it is bigger. The important thing is the percentage change in total labor costs. I have already proven to you that total labor costs are always something less than a linear function of minimum wage increases (only the limiting case, all workers are making exactly the minimum wage, is linear). You're fighting a war against middle school math and it is really bizarre to watch.

If you double the minimum wage, and everyone makes minimum wage, you will double total labor costs in the economy. This is a linear relationship:
y(2*x) = 2*y(x)

If you double the minimum wage and some people currently make more than the minimum wage, their salaries will be something less than doubled, and total labor costs in the economy would be something less than doubled:
y(2*x) < 2*y(x)
(This is what actually happens)

An exponential relationship would mean something like you doubled the minimum wage and total labor costs in the economy increased by some power of that:
y(2*x) = 2n*y(x)
If your exponential relationship is a square one, n=2, then y(x)=x2 and doubling the minimum wage would quadruple total labor costs, for example, because y(2x)=(2x)2=4x2=4y(x)

These are just the definitions of the terms you are using, there's your 8th-grade algebra lesson for the day

Edits: clarity & niceness

Edit2: Maybe think of it this way, you say it's exponential because each dollar increase covers more people. But, when you're looking at the percentage change of total labor costs, all those people are already there, in the denominator (the current total labor costs) and you're just adding them to the numerator. As you do that, the number of people in the numerator starts to approach all workers, the relationship will more and more approximate a linear function. If we double the minimum wage, we'd expect total labor costs to less than double. If we multiplied the minimum wage by a million, we'd expect total labor costs to increase by a factor very close to a million.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 10, 2015

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

VitalSigns posted:

Of course, in Nordic countries like Denmark, fast food workers make $20/hr, an absurd economy-destroying amount that has surely led to the worst unemployment anywhere on earth

And the prices are insane, making hamburgers completely unaffordable to the poor, a veritable luxury available only to the very richest and most profligate of diners

That only works in Denmark because everyone is white.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Since you snuck that in with an edit, let's address that separately.

The CBO analysis does not track who the consumers that are affected by price increases are unlike the article, therefore it is unable to as accurately look at who is affected. Secondly, the CBO analysis does not address (e: pre-existing) non-working poor people at all in their analysis of incomes (instead they look just at those laid off), while these people were the biggest losers in the Macurdy paper due to rising prices. Even there, the CBO notes that the biggest winners will not be the poorest workers but instead people making between 1.0 and 3.0 times the poverty line.

Also, contrary to your earlier claims, the CBO analysis notes that people will actually lose their jobs under a minimum wage increase.
I have not made any such claim.

So just come out and tell me if you think that increasing the minimum wage is worse than the status quo. There may be better policies, but put them aside. Do you think that the negative knock-on effects outweigh the benefits of an increase in the minimum wage, or not?

The CBO study seems to indicate that on balance the minimum wage increase is a good thing even taking the negative knock-on effects into account.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I have not made any such claim.

So just come out and tell me if you think that increasing the minimum wage is worse than the status quo. There may be better policies, but put them aside. Do you think that the negative knock-on effects outweigh the benefits of an increase in the minimum wage, or not?

The CBO study seems to indicate that on balance the minimum wage increase is a good thing even taking the negative knock-on effects into account.

The CBO study ignores a large knock-on effect pointed out in another paper, namely price increases which seem to especially affect poor people who are not making minimum wage.

So yes, raising the minimum wage will hurt poor people more than increasing it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The pro-$15 minimum wage people seemed to be crying for a citation that minimum wage will either lower employment or raise prices which are just as obvious.

But yes, a citation that minimum wage workers have a high MPC relative to other groups that could be helped. Not poor people in general, minimum wage workers. Maybe in addition to that, something showing how the increase in demand for minimum wage workers will offset the decrease in demand for unemployed people or other people hurt by inflation.

hahahahaha how are you even stupider than the guy that didn't understand how percent changes worked until yesterday

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Increasing the minimum wage might raise food prices by 2%.

Doing nothing will probably raise prices 2% in a year due to existing inflation.

For some reason only the former matters?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

I open the thread up each day thinking 'surely yesterday was the it, they can't top their stupidity today' and lo and behold GP goes and proves that he's never even walked into a Econ class at any time.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

hahahahaha how are you even stupider than the guy that didn't understand how percent changes worked until yesterday

Why do you hate the poor so much?

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Geriatric Pirate posted:

The pro-$15 minimum wage people seemed to be crying for a citation that minimum wage will either lower employment or raise prices which are just as obvious.

But yes, a citation that minimum wage workers have a high MPC relative to other groups that could be helped. Not poor people in general, minimum wage workers. Maybe in addition to that, something showing how the increase in demand for minimum wage workers will offset the decrease in demand for unemployed people or other people hurt by inflation.

I am afraid that the idea that you need to spend money to survive in a capitalistic society and that people tend to do the things that allow them to survive actually is significantly more self-evident than the idea that a higher minimum wage lowers employment or raises prices in any significant way. I am not going to bother to find you a source I'm sure you're capable of searching google scholar yourself.

The ideology eater fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 10, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Why do you hate the poor so much?

because unlike you I've taken an Econ 101 class where if even Von Mises himself taught it, would take that increasing the wealth of the bottom class of people would increase demand, as something so self-evident that it doesn't even need to be taught

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LorrdErnie posted:

I am afraid that the idea that you need to spend money to survive in a capitalistic society and that people tend to do the things that allow them to survive actually is significantly more self-evident than the idea that minimum wage increases lower employment or raise prices in any significant way. I am not going to bother to find you a source I'm sure you're capable of searching google scholar yourself.

Having to spend money in a capitalistic society might be self-evident, but the idea that minimum wage workers are more likely to spend money than other people is not. Even the idea that poor people will spend more money (which didn't happen during the Bush tax rebate, they instead paid off debt) is accepted as truth, you still have to figure out what the connection between minimum wage workers (who are almost as likely to be from a household in the top 20% of income as the bottom 20%) and spending more money is. So I'll just take that as a "I can't find anything."

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because unlike you I've taken an Econ 101 class where if even Von Mises himself taught it, would take that increasing the wealth of the bottom class of people would increase demand, as something so self-evident that it doesn't even need to be taught

Which I guess is why you support a policy that lowers the real wealth of the "bottom class of people"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

so we can add economy of scale to the big ol' list of poo poo you don't know.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Which I guess is why you support a policy that lowers the real wealth of the "bottom class of people"

No that's not what we're arguing now, we're arguing your complete incompetence when it comes to basic economic concepts

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Having to spend money in a capitalistic society might be self-evident, but the idea that minimum wage workers are more likely to spend money than other people is not. Even the idea that poor people will spend more money (which didn't happen during the Bush tax rebate, they instead paid off debt) is accepted as truth, you still have to figure out what the connection between minimum wage workers (who are almost as likely to be from a household in the top 20% of income as the bottom 20%) and spending more money is. So I'll just take that as a "I can't find anything."

If the people spent their money influx on their debts.... doesn't it follow that an equally large share of whatever money they would have been forced to spend on those debts probably got spent on drugs or rims or something else? Isn't that spending more money even if it isn't literally the exact same money.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
It is possible that spending habits associated with a one time small windfall might differ than for reliable income?

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

No that's not what we're arguing now, we're arguing your complete incompetence when it comes to basic economic concepts

Seems like you're a bit confused by the terms "minimum wage workers" and "poor people." It's ok, even though I've highlighted the distinction about 8 times already, some are slow learners.

reignofevil posted:

If the people spent their money influx on their debts.... doesn't it follow that an equally large share of whatever money they would have been forced to spend on those debts probably got spent on drugs or rims or something else? Isn't that spending more money even if it isn't literally the exact same money.

That's like saying if a rich person uses a boost in income to invest, you just argue that he could have used other money for consumption. I don't really want to make that specific point a big deal because it isn't, you can read the paper if you want through the NBER website or by googling the title, the key point is that not all poor people are minimum wage workers (most aren't) and not all minimum wage workers are poor.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Post Count
Post Rate
0.55 per day
Last Post
May 10, 2015 1:19 PM

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
geriatric pirate cosplays as an american poor in his free time (ample)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

That's like saying if a rich person uses a boost in income to invest, you just argue that he could have used other money for consumption. I don't really want to make that specific point a big deal because it isn't, you can read the paper if you want through the NBER website or by googling the title, the key point is that not all poor people are minimum wage workers (most aren't) and not all minimum wage workers are poor.

Firstly a wealthy person is not as obligated to invest their money as a poor person will be obligated to pay their debts and so they are not analogous. Secondly while giving the rich more money to spend WOULD be a boost to consumption (a small one) giving millions of minimum wage workers a boost would increase consumption further in a shorter period of time so while I am not against either from the onset obviously the people who should get the (hypothetical) cash are the people who would bring about the largest net benefit.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popular Thug Drink posted:

geriatric pirate cosplays as an american poor in his free time (ample)

Well your mom gives me a discount if I act like most of her clients, so why not?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

That only works in Denmark because everyone is white.

drat

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Watching Geriatric Pirate jump from justification to justification each post is pretty fun.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeitgueist posted:

Watching Geriatric Pirate jump from justification to justification each post is pretty fun.

Why do you hate poor people by supporting a policy that makes them worse off?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I can't believe that anyone with a functioning brain would argue that UMC teenagers working at a McDonald's are evidence that wages have nothing to do with economic class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Why do you hate poor people by supporting a policy that makes them worse off?

I don't support keeping wages unlivably low so I'm not sure why you are asking me that?

• Locked thread