Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

SRM posted:

At the very least I know he has excess Genestealer Cult dudes. I'll ask him if he's willing to part with some.
Much appreciated, thanks! My old metal Hybrids are some of my favorite models I own, and I'd love to have a few more variants to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Uroboros posted:

Any good custom terrain videos? I'm a visual learner.

The terrain tutor on youtube.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

Well it looks less ridiculous than the Saints football knight someone made.

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me!

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Hollismason posted:

I'd like to see the Saints Knight, don't guess you got a pic?

More in the oath post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=59#post442148904

I want to get the new knight throwing arm and swap out the chainsword, but I'm pretty busy painting up all the khorne daemons I've collected over the past 3 years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why'd you go with white and gold over the Black and Gold, also it all looks amazing except for the fleur de lis, he should be named Archie : ) Are you from NOLA?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Jack B Nimble posted:

So I happened by the games workshop site store the other day and holy crap those prices. My old 2nd/3rd edition 40k troops have ballooned up 850 bucks, I should really do something with these guys. I could probably sell them for four or five hundred with the case I have them (they're badly painted and some of them are damaged/missing bits) but honestly maybe instead I could actually, I don't know, play with the drat things.

I'm on the Mississippi gulf coast, does anyone want to play at Jack's in Biloxi some time? And since anyone else being from here is pretty unlikely, does anyone reading play at some store in New Orleans?

I'd actually rather play fantasy but I figure 40k is more likely and If I can find some people who play ANYTHING it'll be more than I have now. I bought all this stuff in my teens and early 20's and none of my friends play anymore (including me).

I'm from the gulf coast, Jacks is a poo poo hole, don't give Sonny any money. (im not trying to be funny with rhymes, that's the owners name) Also, Coast Con is lame in terms of games. Don't know how Geekonomicon is, even though my sister is one of the partners for it. There really isn't much of a scene there, the air base is the only reason Jacks makes any money.

I played some war machine at that place in Hattiesburg once, seemed nice enough and it's not such a bad drive. New Orleans has an option or two. Mobile sucks, all its game stores die, but there might be some garage club action there.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Stanyer89 posted:

Speaking of Knights, since it's near impossible to get a hold of the House Griffith transfers I have started my desperate attempt of free-handing some of the iconography for mine (shoulder and knee).

This looks really good so far. The teeth or crenellations or whatever it represents are really consistent.

I am a great believer in freehand. I find creating s giant dot to dot is the key. So I start with the overall shape with four dots and then steadily add in extra ones in between. This way symmetry can be maintained and the opportunity to correct errors.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

That's a caliver, not a culverin.

All the other guns like that are one shot per nodule on the side of the gun, so I assume it will be a five shot plasma.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Cross posting these dudes from the good thread

Count as Pedro

Count as Tech Marine Gunner

might paint them at some point

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I hope you do paint em, Pedro's mini gatling gun is super neat. They're nice conversions/mishmashes of bitz.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Sounds like I have my work cut out for me!

Bear in mind, I say ridiculous and not terrible. This is my opinion that if you spend $140 on shouldn't be reduced to a gimmick. Overall both knights are fantastically painted.

e: does anyone know where to get a replacement scatter die? I think my cat ate the one I have.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 10, 2015

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

drgnvale posted:

More in the oath post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3630222&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=59#post442148904

I want to get the new knight throwing arm and swap out the chainsword, but I'm pretty busy painting up all the khorne daemons I've collected over the past 3 years.

I loving love this thing, I just saw the nameplate says, "Brees."

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Not a viking posted:

The terrain tutor on youtube.

Also Terranscapes on youtube. I've met the guy (Mike) a couple times and he's one of the coolest dudes around, and really gets into detail on the hows and whys of the terrain he's working on.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Saw new close up details of those new robits

I still think they look just as terrible as before

Thats my robit hate story

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
More like robutts :smug:

Seriously, those things are really lacking. It's weird because so far the admech stuff has had a really strong crazy-looking aesthetic and these just don't match up well. I mean, look at the techpriest with them. That dude is pretty rad. It's just the robots that suck.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

Kakaphracts.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

It's not just that they look like poo poo. Its that they don't fit with the mechanicum aesthetic at all (and look like poo poo)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Seriously, those things are really lacking. It's weird because so far the admech stuff has had a really strong crazy-looking aesthetic and these just don't match up well. I mean, look at the techpriest with them. That dude is pretty rad. It's just the robots that suck.

It's bad when I'd rather convert some Centurions than work with those things.

That said the best way to make them at least serviceable is to smooth out the head so it's more like a dome, and slap on some shoulder pads. I guess you could put a different head on too, make them look more Contemptor-like, but as it is they just look like complete rear end.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

OhDearGodNo posted:

Bear in mind, I say ridiculous and not terrible.

I agree, ridiculous in 40k isn't a bad thing! My concept for the Knight is to be gaudy, gilded, and over-blown.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

DiHK posted:

I'm from the gulf coast, Jacks is a poo poo hole, don't give Sonny any money. (im not trying to be funny with rhymes, that's the owners name) Also, Coast Con is lame in terms of games. Don't know how Geekonomicon is, even though my sister is one of the partners for it. There really isn't much of a scene there, the air base is the only reason Jacks makes any money.

I played some war machine at that place in Hattiesburg once, seemed nice enough and it's not such a bad drive. New Orleans has an option or two. Mobile sucks, all its game stores die, but there might be some garage club action there.

Agreed about Jack's, but I may check out that Hattiesburg store sometime.

What's the deal with these Kastelan Robots? Is the Mechanicus using machines (kill bots) left over from the Dark Age of Technology? The ones that caused the fall of that civilization? And they're ok with that; and the Imperium is ok with that?

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I agree, ridiculous in 40k isn't a bad thing! My concept for the Knight is to be gaudy, gilded, and over-blown.

I fully intend to model a faux-knight model with a full battle cape, in this spirit.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Jack B Nimble posted:

What's the deal with these Kastelan Robots? Is the Mechanicus using machines (kill bots) left over from the Dark Age of Technology? The ones that caused the fall of that civilization? And they're ok with that; and the Imperium is ok with that?
I've been wondering this myself, since robots and AI are forbidden in 40k.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Scrunts are operating them, actually.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Seems like the Kastelan Robots aren't the same thing as the Men of Iron ,and the robots have apparently been around in the fluff for a while. I'm always really skeptical about how the imperium (especially space marines) keeps finding new STCs just in time for players to buy more miniatures, but it is a game after all and I'm just just an old curmudgeon eager to complain about change.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SRM posted:

The real answer is that they are basic artificial intelligences slaved to the Mechanicus' will. If an Imperium officer asked the AM, they would respond that the construct contains sufficient human content to meet the requirement of the Imperial doctrine, but it would be a lie that both would accept, because to question the lie would have too dire of a consequence to consider. The products of Mars are some of the most important aspects of Imperial technology and if the AM were brought to account for their "crimes" it would lead to at best a chilly relationship and, at worst, war. The Imperium tacitly accepts the work of the AM as meeting their standards because they have no choice. They would rather deal with "machine spirits" than not have their forgesmiths working to combat the multitude of enemies of humanity.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
So I finished painting my Captain Karl(ean) model and got myself into this downward spiral where loving with it any more just make it look worse and worse. So I said gently caress It and considered it done:

Major Spag fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 10, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Thanks for the answers guys! I was figuring it was the same "you look the other way and I will too" sort of thing that's been behind a lot of Imperial relations, but I wasn't sure if they added new fluff in the books to talk about these things specifically. I know robots have been around a while, hell, I just built three RT era ones:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SRM posted:

I think that Machine Spirits (dumb as bricks AI) are okay while smart AI (Men of Iron) aren't.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

What's happening is that the Castellax automata STC has been lost, so to replace that machine the Mechanicus has dug up the STC to a shipping crate loading automata that looks vaguely similar and bolted some weapons to the shoulder.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

Scrunts are operating them, actually.

this is TRIPLE heresy

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Actually the AM have a work around with servitor's and robots somewhat basically they use a brain strip it of all past memories and basically just use it as a biological computer, they then consider this to be the "soul" of the machine so their not actually "robots" but in fact men inside a machine.

I think that's the work around, Adeptus Mechanicus is interesting because they don't actually worship the Emperor , they just agreed to say he was part of the Omnissiah so that they would not have to go to war.

I think that's the work around.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hollismason posted:

I think that's the work around, Adeptus Mechanicus is interesting because they don't actually worship the Emperor , they just agreed to say he was part of the Omnissiah so that they would not have to go to war.

I think that's the work around.

It is. The book Mechanicum shows what happened when the Emperor came to Mars to meet the AdMech for the first time: he told them he was going to take their knowledge, technology, and planet, and it was up to them whether they would be surrendering these things as allies or as slaves. The AdMech chose the former option and only adjusted their theology accordingly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Also I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere that the Dark Mechanicus totally hosed the Adeptus with a virus destroying everything during the war and that previously they were super powerful but now they have to go off of bits and scraps of paper etc..

It's heavily influenced by Canticle for Leibowitz

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Also I'm pretty sure it's stated somewhere that the Dark Mechanicus totally hosed the Adeptus with a virus destroying everything during the war and that previously they were super powerful but now they have to go off of bits and scraps of paper etc..

It's heavily influenced by Canticle for Leibowitz

Yeah, in Mechanicum the early incarnation of the DM flood the martian internet with chaos "scrap code" that fucks over all but one of the big forges. That one ends up being destroyed during the civil war.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Hollismason posted:

Why'd you go with white and gold over the Black and Gold, also it all looks amazing except for the fleur de lis, he should be named Archie : ) Are you from NOLA?

White and gold are the away colors, and since I now live in Seattle that's the only way I get to see them. White and gold are also the colors of "Sir Saint," the old mascot. I'm from New Orleans; if you look at my post history in this thread I posted why I decided to paint the knight this way.

The shield is an abomination and the banner is a placeholder for the oath thread; the logo would probably have looked okay if I'd centered my home-made stencil correctly. I'll eventually get a sisters transfer and redo it, plus put a smaller one on the access door.

panascope posted:

I loving love this thing, I just saw the nameplate says, "Brees."

Thanks! The numbers on the shield also commemorate the Saint's first super bowl victory (and likely the last one we'll get until the franchise starts over), just in case anyone was wondering.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 10, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

drgnvale posted:

White and gold are the away colors, and since I now live in Seattle that's the only way I get to see them. White and gold are also the colors of "Sir Saint," the old mascot. I'm from New Orleans; if you look at my post history in this thread I posted why I decided to paint the knight this way.

The shield is an abomination and the banner is a placeholder for the oath thread; the logo would probably have looked okay if I'd centered my home-made stencil correctly. I'll eventually get a sisters transfer and redo it, plus put a smaller one on the access door.

Thanks! The numbers on the shield also commemorate the Saint's first super bowl victory (and likely the last one we'll get until the franchise starts over), just in case anyone was wondering.

That makes sense then, I'm from NOLA as well. Ha! I thought I was right on those numbers.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I got a quick game in last night with my friend Jon. Here's a mostly-from-memory battle report with no pictures because despite bringing my camera I forgot to use it. I put down what I had, and I had to kinda guess what Jon had based on what he usually brings; I might be wrong points-wise on the plaguebearers and the herald, but since they never got into combat it doesn't really matter.

Eternal War Mission: Purge The Alien
Deployment Map: Dawn of War
Night Fighting: No

Armies:

Dark Angels
Ipos: Librarian, Psyker lvl2, meltabombs. Warlord Trait: Courage of the Lion
Dreadnought, twin-linked autocannon
5-man Tactical Squad, plasmagun, combi-plasma, razorback with twin-linked assault cannon and storm bolter
5-man Tactical Squad, lascannon, razorback with twin-linked assault cannon and storm bolter
Landspeeder with heavy bolter and assault cannon
Landspeeder with heavy bolter and assault cannon
Landspeeder with heavy bolter and Typhoon missile launcher
5-man Devastator squad, 4x plasma cannons

Chaos
Baron Von Shoulderpads: Chaos Lord, mark of nurgle, power fist, lightning claw, daemonheart, blight grenades, bike, sigil of corruption. Warlord trait: Murderous Hate
Herald of Nurgle, Psyker lvl2, palanquin, etherblade, greater focus of fecundity
5-man Plague Marine squad, 2x meltaguns, combi-bolter, power axe, rhino with havoc launcher
5-man Plague Marine squad, 2x meltaguns, combi-bolter, power axe, rhino with havoc launcher
20-man Plaguebearer squad, etherblade

Board: An even mix of ruined buildings and a couple of silos. Lots of cover, with a silo in the middle of the table providing some LoS blocking. This one piece ends up being the most important aspect of the battle and dictated how well I could shoot at his models.

Deployment
Chaos: Deployed in a very bunched-up block, with the plaguebearers, herald, and Baron sitting behind two sideways-deployed rhinos in the center of the board.

Dark Angels: Librarian and Devastator squad deployed in some tall ruins on the left-hand side, with the Typhoon close by. Plasma squad left-middle and dreadnought in some open ruins just to the right of them, with one of the assault cannon landspeeders near the middle. Empty lascannon razorback square in the middle. Lascannon squad middle-right, and the last landspeeder on the far right table edge.

Chaos deployed first and had first turn, Dark Angels failed to seize the initiative.

Chaos Turn 1: Jon turned the rhinos forward and booked both of them up towards the middle. The Baron turbo-boosts his way behind a ruined hab-block, and the plaguebearers trudge their way towards the silo in the middle. None of his psychic powers had a range greater than 12" and didn't buff his guys, and he had very little long-range shooting, so his turn was over.

DA Turn 1: Plasma squad trudges up 6", alongside the two land speeders, keeping to the lefthand side. The lascannon squad and remaining LS veer along the right side, concentrating on trying to outflank the smaller chaos force. Psychic phase, the librarian casts Perfect Timing on the dev squad, and in the shooting phase there was sadly quite a lot of misses; the lascanon razorback fails to do anything to an enemy rhino, neither does the dreadnought, and the plasma devs also do little more than stun a rhino and strip a hull point off of it. The Typhoon has better luck, launching a salvo of frag missiles at the plaguebearers and kills 4 of them in one go. One of the land speeders has range on the Baron, but is also within assault range, so I instead move it flat out to get away from that murdering psycho. The rest of the razorbacks fail to do anything.

Chaos Turn 2: One of the rhinos moves forward and gets within range of the LS that moved flat-out, and the Baron moves up to the lascannon razorback; the other rhino deploys their plague marines, and the plaguebearers keep on trucking forward In the shooting phase he fires at the landspeeder, forcing me to Jink which prevents it from being melta'd off the board, and the on-foot PMs take some shots at the other assault cannon landspeeder but fails to do anything to it. The Baron assaults the razorback, and in a flurry of powerfist attacks blows it up in a showering display of shrapnel. Jon gets First Blood and 1 Kill Point, and is now in my deployment zone--and also wide open.

DA Turn 2: The jink'd LS moves over behind some ruins, and the lascannon squad moves forward in their razorback and turns towards the closest rhino. The plasma squad scoots forward, and the other two focus their attention on the plaguebearers and keep them at a healthy 24" range. Psychic phase sees another round of Perfect Timing, and in the shooting phase does the best it will ever do: laying 4 plasma cannon shots on the Baron and bringing him down to a single wound. Some plaguebearers are killed by the land speeders, and more useless pot shots from the razorbacks at the rhinos. The dreadnought fails to strip that last wound off the Baron, due largely thanks to that 2+ armor save.

At the end of the turn, the Baron's IWND gains him a wound back. Son of a bitch.

Chaos Turn 3: Plaguebearers move up and hide behind the main silo, and the plague marines hop back in their ride and move off towards the jink'd land speeder, while the other goes after the lascannon squad. The Baron hides behind the hab-block nearby, putting him out of sight of the dev squad. The land speeder goes down to a meltashot right in Chaos's deployment zone, denying me the chance at getting Linebreaker, and the other rhino squad does a bit of paint-scratching on a razorback. Jon gains another Kill Point off the land speeder.

DA Turn 3: The lascannon squad finally disembarks from their ride, with the Razorback turning sideways and providing cover to everything but the lascannon marine. Dreadnought moves closer to the Baron, and the plasma squad inches towards the silo in the center, and the other two landspeeders zoom around being annoying little bees. Psychic Phase, I cast Perfect Timing and also get off Prescience, but I suffer Perils and the librarian loses a wound; they then fire off several shots that kill a few more plaguebearers. Las-squad and their razorback don't do anything of note in the shooting phase. Assault cannon landspeeder takes one or two more out, and the Typhoon finally blows up a rhino. Dread fails to both wound the Baron with his autocannon AND charge him, much to my frustration. I have one Kill Point.

Chaos Turn 4: With their ride gone, the plaguemarines bug out and join the plaguebearers in Silo Town, USA. The other rhino moves towards the lascannon quad, and the Baron pops a wheelie towards the dreadnought. The rhino's inhabitants melta the las-team's razorback off the table.. Baron assaults the dread, which fails to wound the Baron, and who in turn sucker-punches the dread until it explodes in a shower of sparks and disappointment. He then gets enough of a consolidation move to put him out of sight of the dev squad once again. Jon has two more kill points and still has the Baron in my deployment zone.

DA Turn 4: The Plasma squad disembarks close to the plaguebearer squad, and the remaining landspeeders get better line of sight on both the plaguebearers and the plague marines on foot. I play it safe in the psychic phase and just get Perfect Timing off, which only ends up popping another two plague bearers, as does the assault cannon razorback and land speeder. The Typhoon manages to kill the plague marine sergeant, and the las-team misses horribly.

At this point we had to call it, but even with an extra turn or two I doubt I could have turned it around. Jon ended the game with 6 victory points (first blood, linebreaker, and 4 dead vehicles) and I ended with only 1 victory point (dead rhino). Ultimately what got me was that damned silo, since it blocked a surprising amount of stuff despite just being a converted CD tower with some tubes glued onto it; it certainly didn't help that I foolishly focused on the plaguebearer squad, and that I missed on some important shots that could've kept me in the game. Not finishing off the Baron hurt too--if he hadn't gotten that last save on the plasma cannon shot I'm sure things would've gone a lot different. I was however, pleased with the land speeders, as they put a fair amount of pressure on the Chaos force and was fast enough to remain mostly out of his firing range.

This was Jon's first victory on what amounts to his 3rd game, so already he's doing better than I did when starting off. Next time I'll take pictures and try to do a more proper White Dwarf-style battle report.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I just got done moving my 2 Blood Angels Tactical Squads onto 25mm bases. It was really getting to me having them on the 32s when none of my other tacticals are. No jury in the world would convict me!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

SRM posted:

Pierre pretty much hits the nail on the head, but there is a little bit more to it than that. Imperial doctrine forbids "smart" AIs that have humanlike thought patterns or abilities; "dumb" AIs, such as the machine spirits of many Imperial vehicles are permissible within restraints. The robots that do exist in the Imperium are, theoretically, just very advanced "dumb" AIs that are not capable of true though or learning- during the Heresy era, however, the boundary was a lot closer and you had near-sentient or fully-sentient (but restricted) robots operating fairly freely. You can even get an upgrade for them, Paragon of Metal, that represents one of the advanced AIs and a result on the Cybertheurgy that results in the robot breaking free of its programming to go berzerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.
Killing time at work, the most traditional game of all, and barfed up some tyranid design ideas. Should be relevant to the topic so hopefully im not causing any problems here.

The carnifex, while the source of countless conversions (some official even, bleh harpies/crones) and much gnashing of teeth during 4e's nidzilla phase, its redesign always struck me as... a little unwieldy and too quick to throw out good elements from the old screamer-killer models. So I tried to blend some of that back in while keeping mostly to modern tyranid aesthetics.

Sorry for the cellphone camera quality, they dont let us on the copiers here.

• Locked thread