Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Maybe it's just me, but the iconography looks nice and all, the title/header font is kind of out of place, I think the new style starting to show up in 10074 (like on the calculator) would look better. Lets not even talk about emulating the forum's style whackiness. Does the app have an alternate cleaner theme?

Also, here I am, ordered a Lumia 930 with the intent to run Windows 10 on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

Maybe it's just me, but the iconography looks nice and all, the title/header font is kind of out of place, I think the new style starting to show up in 10074 (like on the calculator) would look better. Lets not even talk about emulating the forum's style whackiness. Does the app have an alternate cleaner theme?

You can turn off the forum specific themes (Or set all forums to use a specific one, should you be so inclined). I just figured I would give them as options, because I had only done YOSPOS (which was basically just the dark theme with the green console font and the pulsing animation on the buttons). At some point I was asked about finishing them, so I figured I would take a stab at it.

For the title font, that's from the default Windows 10 xaml page styles, just smaller. I guess it's a bit light compared to the rest of the app, which has a heaver font weight?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nah, I meant that style, which seems to be what they're heading towards, because it's becoming prevalent in screenshots of leaked future builds.

Regardless of that, in regards to Spotify on Windows Phone, does it work well in background, or will it get shot in the head at random, given that I keep hearing that apps are constantly resuming despite plenty of memory? Probably going to be that to solve my music woes on my upcoming WP device.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I've never had Spotify stop while playing, but if you pause the song and don't resume after say 30 minutes, you have to go back into the app to start playing music again, although it does remember where in the song you are. This is on a 1020, so your 930 should be better about it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

Regardless of that, in regards to Spotify on Windows Phone, does it work well in background, or will it get shot in the head at random, given that I keep hearing that apps are constantly resuming despite plenty of memory? Probably going to be that to solve my music woes on my upcoming WP device.

For music apps, music is played in a background task separate from the app itself. So your music will keep playing even though the app itself may be tombstoned. But if you stop playing music, then this background task may also be killed, but the UAC controls won't go away. Normally, if you hit 'play' in this state, the background task will then start back up, and then the developer has to figure out how to handle it.

Most don't so you'll hit play, then the controls will disappear. The only app I can think of off the top of my head that does not do that is Xbox Music. :shrug:

Note that, from what I can tell in Windows 10, the music API is the same for desktop and phone, so you'll just be able to create a media element in your main app, play some music with it, and it'll keep playing in the background.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Drastic Actions posted:

So your music will keep playing even though the app itself may be tombstoned

Unless it's a WinRT app with an IBackgroundTask, in which case your music may stop due to "System Policy" and nobody will be able to tell you why it's happening ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Drastic Actions posted:

Note that, from what I can tell in Windows 10, the music API is the same for desktop and phone, so you'll just be able to create a media element in your main app, play some music with it, and it'll keep playing in the background.
The MediaElement just plays a single song. If WinPho caps the main application, it shouldn't do anything anymore once the song's finished. I vaguely remember that all this background media stuff has events calling back into the app for when audio playback ends, but that may just be false memory (been a year since I last looked at anything WinRT).

Factor Mystic posted:

Unless it's a WinRT app with an IBackgroundTask, in which case your music may stop due to "System Policy" and nobody will be able to tell you why it's happening ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah, see, that's the sort of stuff I mean.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

The MediaElement just plays a single song. If WinPho caps the main application, it shouldn't do anything anymore once the song's finished. I vaguely remember that all this background media stuff has events calling back into the app for when audio playback ends, but that may just be false memory (been a year since I last looked at anything WinRT).

You're right, but what I'm saying is that it will still play in the background, and that the same task you use for handling it from Desktop WinRT to Phone is the same. As far as I recall, if you have music playing on desktop WinRT 8.1 app, your app won't get tombstoned at all, so you can hook up the event handlers to change to the next song and not worry about the app stopping. Where the same thing on Windows Phone 8.1 will flat out stop when you leave the app, and the Background Task Audio APIs in Windows Phone 8.1 are not there in Windows 8.1, so you need two separate code paths to do the same thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I hope that poo poo's unified in Windows 10 now, and Spotify hurries up with an universal app.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The IBackgroundTask API is the same in Windows 10 from what I've seen so far. Who knows if the OS will be less busted!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I have had it so that the play / pause buttons and volume control didn't work, and jack detect didn't work so I had to awkwardly wrap my windows phone OK my shirt on the bus to get it to stop playing music

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

I have had it so that the play / pause buttons and volume control didn't work, and jack detect didn't work so I had to awkwardly wrap my windows phone OK my shirt on the bus to get it to stop playing music

Dude, why are you still using your 520

It was $20 and is clearly not working for you, throw it in the garbage and stop posting about it

If I had a 520, I would be throwing it in the garbage as we speak and I certainly wouldn't be posting about it at all, let alone over and over for like a month

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

loquacius posted:

Dude, why are you still using your 520

It was $20 and is clearly not working for you, throw it in the garbage and stop posting about it

If I had a 520, I would be throwing it in the garbage as we speak and I certainly wouldn't be posting about it at all, let alone over and over for like a month

It has to be a troll. To go this long complaining about the same thing with the weakest phone.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
So you're saying that the software issue of the volume control going down and not affecting the music would be fixed by a hardware upgrade?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Suspicious Dish posted:

So you're saying that the software issue of the volume control going down and not affecting the music would be fixed by a hardware upgrade?

The issue you have described has never happened to my 920.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The 520 has to be the rudest most jarring welcome to WP. It's so, so bad and isn't a warm welcome to the OS.

Donate it to a women's shelter and buy something that isn't junk. Toss an extra 0 on what you paid for it and pick up a used 1520 or something. Mind will be blown.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Doomsday Jesus posted:

The issue you have described has never happened to my 920.

I've had that happen before with all of my Windows Phones at some point. If I use something like, say, EarPods, and use the remote on those to control the music playing, sometimes when I unplug it music won't play through the speakers. Other times music will only play through the speakers, regardless of if headphones are plugged in. I have to fiddle with the connection on the headphone jack to get it back into the right state. It happened way more frequently on Windows Phone 8 rather than 8.1, but it had still happened there too.

Also Suspicious Dish is not a troll. You've all said the 520 is not that great a phone. Now just imagine normal users who have bought it (remember, it's one of the most popular Windows Phones) and just think of the crappy experience Dish has had with it. Sure, you can throw more money at the problem and get a better phone, but some users just can't and now they are screwed with a crappy phone.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Jumping in to also add that on several occasions my 925 would have the volume get stuck at a certain level regardless of what I did with the volume rocker and the only solution was a reboot.

Also I distinctly remember Microsoft employees about a year ago referring to the 520 as a cheap iPod substitute, so making GBS threads on someone for now doing that exact thing is hilarious

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Drastic Actions posted:

Also Suspicious Dish is not a troll. You've all said the 520 is not that great a phone. Now just imagine normal users who have bought it (remember, it's one of the most popular Windows Phones) and just think of the crappy experience Dish has had with it. Sure, you can throw more money at the problem and get a better phone, but some users just can't and now they are screwed with a crappy phone.

Pretty sure the 520 and variants were far and away the best selling Windows Phone phones throughout 2014. They were definitely recommended here as a great low end option. We got one for my wife when she broke her Galaxy S4's display to bridge the gap til she found another higher end phone she wanted, and after a week she said she'd literally prefer a dumbphone and just using her laptop for internet, haha. I would not be surprised if the 520/521 turned a lot of normal people off to WP.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I still think they're a great low end option for basic phone stuff. :shrug:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm not a troll. I just have absolutely no reason to believe any of the dumb issues I'm having are caused by my hardware, since they're all obviously software issues, and people who have 925s are backing me up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

All of your issues I heard of sound like nothing I've seen on a 920 and also like something that could quite easily be explained by a lovely slow processor struggling to keep up with software it should never have been set to run :shrug:

Even if not I don't see why you feel the need to continually post over and over about it, again your investment was $20

(I do feel bad for anyone who had to use a 520 now tho)

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

RVProfootballer posted:

Pretty sure the 520 and variants were far and away the best selling Windows Phone phones throughout 2014. They were definitely recommended here as a great low end option.
I bought a 521 in mid 2013 and it was a pretty decent phone for the price, but the WP8.1 update did not do good things for it. It became much less stable and performance suffered pretty seriously. The 925 is the same vintage and is still a wonderful phone, but that's what you get for the $400 (at the time) price premium.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
For reference, I'm running Xbox Music. That is the only app that is installed on my 520 phone. I do not have a data plan. Sometimes, super rarely, I run Data Sense.

I paid $20 for the phone, yes, but it's a phone that normally retails for $99, and I got the idea from people on the internet along with MS employees who said "grab a cheap MicroSD card and use this $20 device, it works great as an iPod replacement". I'm complaining not because I'm really mad at my $20 investment, it's that Windows Phone seems exceedingly broken, and absolutely none of the issues seem to me like they are hardware issues.

Keep in mind, these are the issues I've been hitting. Would any of these be solved by a new Windows Phone?

• Syncing loving sucks. I don't even know how to describe how godawful it is. I can't use the Xbox Music Desktop app for some reason, so I have to drag all my music over one by one in Windows Explorer and it takes 10 minutes to copy an album.
  • I still have no idea how to create or sync a playlist. I thought I did with the trick I mentioned a while back, but that actually creates a playlist that says "Sorry, we couldn't play this song" and I can't figure out how to delete it.
  • Xbox Music has trouble with letters. Somehow, I don't know, maybe my database got corrupted? and it seems to have forgotten what letters an artist started with. So when I hit the alphabetize key, and then select a letter, it takes me to the "p" section, but it's full of artists that start with "m", and then half-way through it it switches to "o" and then finally "p" starts in the "q" section.
  • Xbox Music sometimes has a hard time resuming from sleep mode. I've had it stay in the "Resume" screen for minutes upon a time, and I have to hold the back button, then quit Music, then head back and relaunch it.
  • Sometimes Xbox Music flat out fails to start. I've seen it stay on the launching screen for a few minutes, and then just go entirely blank. Hard reboot of the phone solves it.
  • Xbox Music can take a long time to figure out how to sync up from my SD card. I've seen it take 10-20 minutes to figure out that there's a new song I dragged on there in Windows. I sometimes have to "kick" it by going to the Data Sense settings panel, going to Manage Music, SD card. That usually tends to get it to notice that there's new stuff.
  • If I'm playing an album, there's a very noticeable bit of static / noise before it's playing the next song, along with a long gap. I think it's just playing a tiny, tiny snippet of the next song from 3s in, since I don't hear it if the next song is a quiet song.
  • Deleting songs actually doesn't work. It leaves a tombstone song which just says "Sorry, we couldn't play this song". I don't know if this is Windows Explorer being bad at MTP or if it's a bug in the phone / Xbox Music. Moving songs between folders also does this.
  • Sometimes the volume rocker / pause key doesn't work. I have to force exit the app and basically let the song play to completion to stop the music.
  • It has shown the wrong info when playing a song. It corrects itself after I go to the next song and back.
  • Xbox Music sometimes randomly starts playing different songs than the one I want. What I think is going on here is that the "playing a song" UI is poorly designed with the panorama thing. At the right-side edge of the touch-screen are the Recently Played Albums list, and when I go to quickly lock the screen and put it in my pocket, I think I might hit that button and it starts doing other things.
  • I guess more poor UI: there's a physical search button and sometimes a search icon button at the bottom of the app. One goes to Bing and one actually searches through my music. I always get confused on that one.

I'm posting in the hopes that somebody says "oh hey, I had that problem too, what I found was that I had to go into the settings, go to Sound Sense, and change Maladjustment Mode from Bass Boost to Tangerine Dream and now it works like a charm".

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

Would any of these be solved by a new Windows Phone?
We beg you. Switch to Android or iOS before it's too late.

$20 or $500, you will continue to be angry. WP isn't for you.

Edit: most of the complaints are about XBox music. It sucks on all platforms so there's that. Good luck finding the platform/device of your dreams.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 10, 2015

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Uh, I have an Android phone. It is usable and good. I just use my WP device as a music player.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Is there a 928 upgrade? I just cracked my screen because I an idiot.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Uh, I have an Android phone. It is usable and good. I just use my WP device as a music player.
Scrape together another $20 and buy a used iPod nano. Hopefully this causes you to miss an ISP or power bill and you stop posting.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Shumagorath posted:

Scrape together another $20 and buy a used iPod nano. Hopefully this causes you to miss an ISP or power bill and you stop posting.

So for all of Suspicious Dish's legitimate complaints, so far the answers have been

"You're an idiot for buying this phone"

"I don't have the issues you're having"

"Buy a more expensive Windows Phone"

There could have been, for example, "Try a different music app", but no. Instead it has mostly been insults. If you buy a phone, there is a certain level of support you would expect, and when the 520 can't really do even basic things without major slowdown or resuming issues, there is a problem. You could also say the 520 should not exist at all and that MS was pushed into it by companies like Nokia, but whatever :v:.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Drastic Actions posted:

So for all of Suspicious Dish's legitimate complaints, so far the answers have been

"You're an idiot for buying this phone"

"I don't have the issues you're having"

"Buy a more expensive Windows Phone"

There could have been, for example, "Try a different music app", but no. Instead it has mostly been insults. If you buy a phone, there is a certain level of support you would expect, and when the 520 can't really do even basic things without major slowdown or resuming issues, there is a problem. You could also say the 520 should not exist at all and that MS was pushed into it by companies like Nokia, but whatever :v:.

Indeed, just look at this loving jerk who was the first to respond to his very first post complaining:

Drastic Actions posted:

You bought a Windows Phone for music playback :roflolmao:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

The iPod Nano does not have extensible micro-SD storage. But I do like that you're admitting that 15-year-old technology is better than anything Microsoft has done in the the last year.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Indeed, just look at this loving jerk who was the first to respond to his very first post complaining:

That was not meant as an insult to him, more to the fact that Windows Phone music playback sucks and it really sucks if you buy into the platform specifically for it. But you're right that I should have pointed out that other apps exist that are not nearly as lovely as Xbox Music.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Suspicious Dish posted:

The iPod Nano does not have extensible micro-SD storage. But I do like that you're admitting that 15-year-old technology is better than anything Microsoft has done in the the last year.

Seriously though man; people have been telling you very straight over many many pages that the music situation on WP is godawful and Microsoft really dropped the ball. You are really not adding much to this thread so you end up getting more and more snarky responses mostly because it isn't all that interesting to read another complaint about it. We all hope it'll get fixed, but you seem set enough on what you want the device for that you really should consider going for a different device. The $20 are a sunk cost. Saying that almost any other music player choice would have been better is not some great admission, it is a fact that you would have been given by pretty much everyone in the thread had you asked about it before buying.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just to chime in, my 920 still randomly drops all system sounds (including alarms), not media playback though.

And the Xbox music app was updated so that menu titles no longer wrap around to two lines. I can actually see an entire 5 song titles at a time now :toot:. Baby steps.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the suggestion about OneMusic, Drastic Actions. That's really the kind of answer I was hoping for, I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

A free option might be MixRadio, which I think actually comes pre-installed since it used to be Nokia. It's primarily a streaming service, but you can do local playback of your music as well, and also download 'stations' for offline listening. I have no idea how well it works with an SD card though.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

ModernMusic worked well for me on my 521.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

Suspicious Dish posted:

• Syncing loving sucks. I don't even know how to describe how godawful it is. I can't use the Xbox Music Desktop app for some reason, so I have to drag all my music over one by one in Windows Explorer and it takes 10 minutes to copy an album.
  • I still have no idea how to create or sync a playlist. I thought I did with the trick I mentioned a while back, but that actually creates a playlist that says "Sorry, we couldn't play this song" and I can't figure out how to delete it.
  • Deleting songs actually doesn't work. It leaves a tombstone song which just says "Sorry, we couldn't play this song". I don't know if this is Windows Explorer being bad at MTP or if it's a bug in the phone / Xbox Music. Moving songs between folders also does this.
The best solution I've found for syncing is Windows Media Player, although the first sync takes a stupendously long time. You can at least just set up everything you want to sync and leave it running rather than copying, waiting, copying etc.

My only major annoyance is a tag issue where many songs display the title as their full filename rather than the track name. It seems random and will happen on some songs but not others within the same album, even though they were all ripped together.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

NFX posted:

And the Xbox music app was updated so that menu titles no longer wrap around to two lines. I can actually see an entire 5 song titles at a time now :toot:. Baby steps.
The new one coming with Windows 10 has been entirely overhauled. Since it's an universal app, and it seems to work nicely on the desktop, rejoice. Or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Rottbott posted:

The best solution I've found for syncing is Windows Media Player, although the first sync takes a stupendously long time. You can at least just set up everything you want to sync and leave it running rather than copying, waiting, copying etc.

My only major annoyance is a tag issue where many songs display the title as their full filename rather than the track name. It seems random and will happen on some songs but not others within the same album, even though they were all ripped together.

Thank you.

What I've found for the tag issue is that it only respects certain ID3 v2 tags. If you have Foobar2000, you can right-click, go to Tagging -> MP3 tag types... and make sure ID3v2 is checked, and then check Override ID3v2 revision, set it to 2.3, and click OK. That should make it work better.