Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Yeah, the Sansa plot makes no sense. Not only from LF's perspective, but also from the Bolton's in a world where their betrayal of Robb is common knowledge. "Oh, we betrayed your entire family but you are totally willing to marry Ramsay, and everyone else will totally think it legitimate?" Not to mention the double crossing of the lannisters. If they are too weak to send troops north, what is keeping the boltons in power? Either the boltons are strong enough to defy the iron throne, in which case they wouldnt need sansa, or they need the iron throne to back them up, in which case marrying sansa would make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

joepinetree posted:

Either the boltons are strong enough to defy the iron throne, in which case they wouldnt need sansa, or they need the iron throne to back them up, in which case marrying sansa would make no sense.

Unless Sansa makes them strong enough to defy the throne. Maybe Roose knows poo poo has gone crazy and has just decided to seize any opportunity he can.If the worst came to the worst he could send her back to Cersei to be killed.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

MrFlibble posted:

Unless Sansa makes them strong enough to defy the throne. Maybe Roose knows poo poo has gone crazy and has just decided to seize any opportunity he can.If the worst came to the worst he could send her back to Cersei to be killed.

Which would only happen if the other Northern houses rallied to their side because of Sansa (as opposed to thinking Sansa was being manipulated/coerced and trying to free her), which makes no sense in a world where their betrayal is well known (and how does sending her back to Cersei to be killed after marrying her to his son improve his situation, either with the iron throne or the north?). And that still doesn't explain them not seeing the double cross from a mile away. The answer is that it is a tv show trying to greatly simplify a much more complex story, but it still makes no sense.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Bolton's not going to defy the throne, but they're not getting any help from the throne either. The Boltons are still in power because they have one of the few remaining not decimated armies in the north, and they're allied with another. Sansa won't clear up all the emnity the other northern lords feel, but it will go a long ways to help legitimize the Boltons position. I don't see why Sansa's feelings on the matter are that important anyways, it's an arranged marriage like any other, but there's a difference between arranging an unhappy marriage for a noble lady, and straight up abusing her. Cersei would like Sansa back maybe, but it's not her top priority. She hasn't even mentioned Sansa all season. Assuming the Lannisters come out of this alive at all, they'll be in no position to make demands, and I think they'd be willing to just let her stay up there, rather than do anything about it. Bolton doesn't strike me as a king in the north revolutionary. He's going to solidify his power around him, and then deal with the iron throne and whoever is left in the south when they're doing loving themselves.

Most of the changes in the show, (yeah yeah, Ros is the exception) seem to be aimed at reducing the already loving absurd number of named characters we're supposed to keep track of. While there have been missteps, overall I think this is a very smart decision by the show makers.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Whats your fantasy end game line up? This is mine:

King: Jon Snow
Queen: Daenerys

Hand of the King: Tyrion
Master of Whispers: Varys
Master of Coin: Davos
Master of Ships: Asha Greyjoy
Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Brienne
Grand Maester: Samwell Tarly

Warden of the North: Sansa. Married to.... uh. Anyone? Hopefully NOT Littlefinger. Maybe an Umber or something?
Warden of the East: Who cares
Warden of the South: Trystane Martell. Married to Myrcella I guess.
Warden of the West: Tyrion. Married to ANYONE BUT loving PENNY! (So god help me if it ends up being Penny)

Some of these are a longshot, like Sam as Maester since I think it takes years and years for him to forge his chain and he hasn't even started yet. Asha and Davos are kind of longshots too, but god drat would they be a great pick for those roles.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Doesn't Stannis dislike Varys, Littlefinger and other people like them? I kind of want LF to go to Stannis, tell him how he helped Sansa escape King's Landing and put the Vale, the Riverlands and the North under Stannis...and then Stannis executing him for his many crimes.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there any way to make HBO Go run less like absolute dog poo poo? Because holy poo poo every single video I try to watch on that runs on an average of 10 FPS while the audio runs normally.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Warden of the North: Sansa. Married to.... uh. Anyone? Hopefully NOT Littlefinger. Maybe an Umber or something?
Warden of the West: Tyrion. Married to ANYONE BUT loving PENNY! (So god help me if it ends up being Penny)

Some of these are a longshot, like Sam as Maester since I think it takes years and years for him to forge his chain and he hasn't even started yet. Asha and Davos are kind of longshots too, but god drat would they be a great pick for those roles.

Sam'll stay with the Watch. Asha'll probably be ruling the Iron Islands, since Theon definitely can't (he can't even produce an heir) and all the alternative kings are heels the plot won't leave in power. Davos won't outlive Stannis since his character has no purpose without him, and will probably die if/when Stannis finally has his Off The Deep End moment and becomes an endgame antagonist.

I also don't expect both Jon and Dany to survive, and them marrying might be a little too incest-y for the show. Jon's already the "song of Ice and Fire" since he's a mixture of Stark and Targ blood and can handle the destined hero poo poo, so that'll probably leave Dany alive to sit the throne if there still is one when this is all over with.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Yeah I'd imagine if anything it'll come down to Jon vs Dany for the throne. Shireen wins.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Bolton's not going to defy the throne, but they're not getting any help from the throne either. The Boltons are still in power because they have one of the few remaining not decimated armies in the north, and they're allied with another. Sansa won't clear up all the emnity the other northern lords feel, but it will go a long ways to help legitimize the Boltons position. I don't see why Sansa's feelings on the matter are that important anyways, it's an arranged marriage like any other, but there's a difference between arranging an unhappy marriage for a noble lady, and straight up abusing her. Cersei would like Sansa back maybe, but it's not her top priority. She hasn't even mentioned Sansa all season. Assuming the Lannisters come out of this alive at all, they'll be in no position to make demands, and I think they'd be willing to just let her stay up there, rather than do anything about it. Bolton doesn't strike me as a king in the north revolutionary. He's going to solidify his power around him, and then deal with the iron throne and whoever is left in the south when they're doing loving themselves.

Most of the changes in the show, (yeah yeah, Ros is the exception) seem to be aimed at reducing the already loving absurd number of named characters we're supposed to keep track of. While there have been missteps, overall I think this is a very smart decision by the show makers.

You're referring only to show Roose, right? Because it's already been alluded to in the books that Roose actually wants there to be a King in the North, he just wants it to be him rather than Robb. I mean, it's not a sure thing, but the possibility has already been presented.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Which would only happen if the other Northern houses rallied to their side because of Sansa (as opposed to thinking Sansa was being manipulated/coerced and trying to free her), which makes no sense in a world where their betrayal is well known (and how does sending her back to Cersei to be killed after marrying her to his son improve his situation, either with the iron throne or the north?). And that still doesn't explain them not seeing the double cross from a mile away. The answer is that it is a tv show trying to greatly simplify a much more complex story, but it still makes no sense.

Sansa is a hostage. With the Boltons in control of her they know the northern lords can't move against them without risking her since she's the last living Stark as far as anyone is concerned.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Wouldn't Stannis be super pissed at him for what he did to Ned? I don't think LF can be anywhere near him.

I'm not sure Stannis even knows Littlefinger betrayed Ned. Stannis repeatedly states that Ned died defending his claim, but I don't think he ever pins the blame on Littlefinger.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Yeah, this definitely feels like an optimistic best case scenario. I like it, but knowing GRRM the final composition of the Small Council will probably be a lot more mixed.

My fantasy ending would be as follows: Stannis captures the Iron Throne at last, only to be faced with Dany and her dragons, and ends up bending the knee to the greater power because he realises (1) he can't win against dragons and (2) the Targaryens' legitimacy actually takes precedence over his own. Alternatively, he'll get burnt to a crisp. At any rate, if he does submit to Dany, he might end up in an important military function. I can definitely see Tyrion as Hand. Davos could just as well be Master of Ships. Sam is too young for Grand Maester - maybe this elusive Marwin the Mage fellow would do? For Master of Coin she could appoint a Martell (since they support her claim, after all), someone thoughtful like Doran.

At any rate, I'll play your game, so here's my fantasy ending:

King-Consort: Jon Snow
Queen: Daenerys Targaryen

Hand of the King: Tyrion Lannister
Master of Whispers: ? (in the novels, Varys supports "Aegon VI", so I doubt the show would have him survive)
Master of Coin: Doran Martell
Master of Ships: Davos Seaworth
Grand Maester: Marwin the Mage

Warden of the North: Rickon Stark, with Sansa acting has warden-regent until he comes of age
Warden of the East: : Yohn Royce
Warden of the South: Trystane Martell
Warden of the West:: Jaime Lannister (redeemed)
Lord Commander of the Night's Watch: Alliser Thorne

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Everyone seems pretty certain that shireen is getting burned and I agree that will likely happen. If melly, selyse, and shireen are all going south with stannis, maybe its stannis dying that is the catalyst for this though. maybe?

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

You guys are forgetting the master of ceremonies

:snoop::whatup::snoop:

(Obviously gonna be our boy Sallahdor)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm betting a lot of the positions which don't matter as much to the plot (even if they matter a lot in Westeros) will have different people holding them in the show than in the books, and since those books may be a long time coming the show versions might be the only canon we have to work with for a while. Arianne Martell, for example, has a decent chance of surviving to rule Dorne, while in the show she doesn't exist, and if the show ever gets around to revisiting the Iron Islands Asha will pretty much have to end up inheriting - even if they actually bother with an uncle or two she's the established not-monstrous Greyjoy.

In fact, that might be a way to predict certain characters' chances of survival and future fates, on the assumption that someone will have to survive to fill each of these posts by the end of the show. Trystane dying would leave no clear heir to Dorne and as much as the show's been willing to drop whole kingdoms down the memory hole (How're the Riverlands doing? Eh.) I don't think they'll want to paint themselves into such a corner that they wouldn't be able to resolve it later if they wanted. It's kind of the same way Rickon exists to be a backup-Stark, so his siblings can have dangerous adventures and we can't hand-wave their survival as "well of COURSE they survived, we need a Stark left over for the epilogue".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The show will be "canon" in that it will bear a passing similarity to what we might see in the books but most likely not.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

My fantasy ending:

King: The High Sparrow
Queen: Defunct

Hand of the King: Cersei
Master of Whispers: Ramsay
Master of Coin: Littlefinger
Master of Ships: Reek
Lord Commander of the Kingsguard: Ser Robert Strong
Grand Maester: Qyburn

Warden of the North: Lady Stoneheart
Warden of the East: Lollys
Warden of the South: Taena of Myr
Warden of the West: Lancel

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

computer parts posted:

The show will be "canon" in that it will bear a passing similarity to what we might see in the books but most likely not.

The show will be "canon" because it will get a conclusion, but the books will not. Maybe after GRRM dies, but by then the show will be the outline the finishing author will have to use.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Solice Kirsk posted:

The show will be "canon" because it will get a conclusion, but the books will not. Maybe after GRRM dies, but by then the show will be the outline the finishing author will have to use.

So if GRRM released the end of the series right now, the show would no longer be canon?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I'm getting an ending to this poo poo I started reading back in 2003 so I'm pretty frankly cool with it either way. Martin dies and the books don't get an ending, or Martin lives and the books get an ending. Either way, the show gets an ending and I get to see a general idea of how this story wraps up. I'm cool with that. This isn't a Deadwood situation, thank Christ. Worst case scenario, we get a Dark Tower: moments of brilliance surrounded by total retardation.

Asbury fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 11, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Watching last week's episode again and the Sand Snakes are on. Wow, that was worse than the first time I saw them. Please never let Dave Hill write again. Between the Sand Snakes scene that I haven't seen one positive comment on, the Littlefinger explanation that we've been talking about that makes no sense, the laughable Barristan/Unsullied scene, the awkward clumsy dialogue throughout, I think that episode may have been the worst written of the series.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I like that the lead Sand Snake tells her backstory to her own sisters

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yeah I just tried to defend everything except the sand snakes to a friend. Yep no that was actually really bad all around

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

oatgan posted:

I like that the lead Sand Snake tells her backstory to her own sisters

The scene was such a junior high-school drama club monologue it's ridiculous.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The short-haired one is cute though.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Watching last week's episode again and the Sand Snakes are on. Wow, that was worse than the first time I saw them. Please never let Dave Hill write again. Between the Sand Snakes scene that I haven't seen one positive comment on, the Littlefinger explanation that we've been talking about that makes no sense, the laughable Barristan/Unsullied scene, the awkward clumsy dialogue throughout, I think that episode may have been the worst written of the series.

The Stannis and Shireen scene was well-received, at least.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Unknown territory for everyone! Woo!

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

I'm MAD about greyscale!!

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Olly is definitely stabbing Jon. They're really pushing that he will be unhappy with Jon's reforms with the wildlings.

I hope he nods afterwards.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Rickon...?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

crossposting from the nonspoiler thread: oh hell yes :cheers:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Burn them all, Dany.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
At least Dany recognizes how bullshit Barristan's death is.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Surprised he was just outright dead. Guess they just did the throat-slitting tease for suspense.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea burn you slaving holding fucker! Burn like a ford pinto!

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

In It For The Tank posted:

At least Dany recognizes how bullshit Barristan's death is.

ha

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
This sounds like a good idea.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Definitely not something the mad king would have done, nope.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
hahaha holy poo poo, they're really turning her into an insane dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Crispy!

• Locked thread