Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Zaphod42 posted:

Heroes 3, in loving 1993:

Zaphod42 posted:

If you only played HOMM3 a few years ago that may be the problem. It came out in 1993 and it looked absolutely breathtaking in loving '93 :corsair:

I'm sorry but are incredibly mistaken dude. You think graphics like that existed in 1993? Heroes of might and magic 3 was released in 1999......
Heroes of might and magic ONE, the first entry to the series was released in 95. I honestly don't understand how you could get that confused unless you were born in the late 90s or something.

HOMM3.....1999...... I'm sorry to be such a sperg but christ man no, just, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Yeah, M&M5 came out in 1993. And it looked pretty blah. Kind of cool fantasy art, but nothing special for PC gaming.

I know little joshtothemaxx hated it and kept playing MM2.

A screenshot of five:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Spek posted:

Everything mentioned except saving Shadow on the floating continent is hinted towards(and even that is, slightly). You just talk to the various NPCs in town and they give hints to where to collect the various party members, espers, and important items. Even if you don't talk to the NPCs it should become obvious fairly early on that there's a party member, esper, or important piece of loot in just about every enter-able area on the map.

I think the only thing that isn't really hinted towards is how to uncurse the cursed shield. They tell you you can uncurse it but never that I can remember imply you would do so by winning fights while wearing it.

It's heavily implied that Locke is in the Phoenix Cave, but there's no indication where the Phoenix Cave is. You have to have an eagle eye to notice a tiny gap in the mountain range on the southern continent, and then you need to have the brains to land there despite it being a way too small target to do so.

It's pretty clear what you have to do to recruit Umaro, but it's not clear how to get to him. You have to jump down a cliff that doesn't even look interactable, that nothing really points you towards except for the fact that the esper in the ice was up there.

Terra's not that hard to recruit, you just have to leave Mobliz and come back, but it looks like you need to do something more active than that. I found her really quickly, but I recruited her last because I just assumed I was looking for an item or plot trigger elsewhere in the world.

quote:

The game could have used some decent superbosses though so the battle system could stretch its legs a bit more. Unfortunately they made the dual mistakes of using 16bits to store enemy hp so no enemy can have more than 65535 health and making it so almost all good attacks ignore defense so a well equipped party can kill anything in at most 7 or 8 attacks. Poor damage/success rate/what-have-you formulas drag down most of the FFs sadly. Only FFX of the numbered games actually did good damage/defense/success rate/etc formulas.

I lost interest before seeing what the GBA version's bonus content added, some of it might count as superbosses. I know they implemented the dummied-out Czar Dragon as the big super-challenging end-of-bonus-dungeon boss, so there's evidence that they wanted to include some superboses, they just didn't get around to it.

And I'll hold up FFV as a great example of challenge at play in a Final Fantasy game. Done right it's as quick and violent as VI, but while VI generally just fails to deliver in terms of difficulty, V steps up to the ridiculous output you're capable of and does a pretty good job of matching it. By the end you need to be pulling out those insane strategies, because the game's bringing as much to bear as possible. Sure, you might be able to finish the fight in eight attacks, but so can they.

quote:

I think the idea was the same as they did later with Chrono Trigger where there would be a bunch of sidequests that you don't need to do but you'll probably need to do a fraction of them just for the gear/exp. It might have worked a bit better in CT since it had Gasper to hint to all the side quests rather than needing to talk to every random NPC in every town in the world to find them and since you didn't have to do as many of them to build a game winning party with.

After getting the Airship in the World of Ruin is my favourite part of any JRPG. The aimless wandering trying to figure out what to do and where to go. Trying to guess where they hid my favourite characters so I could go there first. Finding something delightfully unexpected at the end of a dungeon. That was so much fun as a kid. I wish more games would do something like that.

I imagine it played a lot better to kids at the time, and it's still a great idea. The open-world end-game was a trend among Square RPGs at the time, and VI's issues are really only specific to it; FFV before it and Chrono Trigger after it did it in a much more structurally stellar way. Bravely Default for the 3DS was very much a throwback to that era of Square RPG (with a particular focus on FFV, since I think it started development as a remake), and it does a fairly decent job of the structure in its own way. You go through a time warp for the later parts of the game, which includes rematches with the bosses you fought for access to their jobs. They change up their locations and teamups--some for story reasons, some for strategic--so it's not just a new experience finding them, but also fighting them. Bravely Default has quest and sidequest markers on the map though, which can take away some of the magic even if you do turn them off.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:50 on May 10, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A general thing I dislike is the concept of "real" endings. Especially when if you aren't doing whatever convoluted thing to get the real one the game has a downer ending.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Zaphod42 posted:

Heroes 3, in loving 1993:

Heroes 7, about to come out:

How do you gently caress up so bad when you have 22 years of better technology?!

The bottom shot looks pretty good, sorry the game didn't stick to the Geocities fan site aesthetic over the years.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the bottom shot looks absolutely terrible

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The bottom shot reminds me of p2w browser games.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One of these generic fantasy towns looks worse than the other.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
One changes to reflect the state of the town and power thereof, and offers an alternate way to access resources. The other is a screenshot. It's not a huge leap to see why people prefer something dynamic over static, and it's idiotic to pretend people are stupid for wanting dynamic, changing cities in a strategy game with a big focus on building cities.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Cleretic posted:

It's heavily implied that Locke is in the Phoenix Cave, but there's no indication where the Phoenix Cave is. You have to have an eagle eye to notice a tiny gap in the mountain range on the southern continent, and then you need to have the brains to land there despite it being a way too small target to do so.

It's pretty clear what you have to do to recruit Umaro, but it's not clear how to get to him. You have to jump down a cliff that doesn't even look interactable, that nothing really points you towards except for the fact that the esper in the ice was up there.

Terra's not that hard to recruit, you just have to leave Mobliz and come back, but it looks like you need to do something more active than that. I found her really quickly, but I recruited her last because I just assumed I was looking for an item or plot trigger elsewhere in the world.

The hints for Locke is that there's an NPC in the world of ruin that tells you something like "Talk to the Emperor twice" and the closest thing you can find to the Emperor after the apocalypse is his portrait in Owzer's mansion.

On Umaro I feel the terrain changing after you defeat Tritoch/Valigarmanda heavily implies you should examine that area. I suppose if you look away at that moment you might not notice and it would be hard to guess at. Terra has that same problem after your return to Mobliz entering the one house has the dog run behind the bookshelf but if you don't see it then it doesn't happen again and you would have no hint to go behind the bookshelf.

There is a plot trigger for Terra sort of. You have to have the airship. The sequence is clearly designed with the idea you would go there for the first time before getting the airship and then later come back. They really should have tweaked the sequence if you go to Mobliz there for the fist time after you get the airship.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

One changes to reflect the state of the town and power thereof, and offers an alternate way to access resources. The other is a screenshot. It's not a huge leap to see why people prefer something dynamic over static, and it's idiotic to pretend people are stupid for wanting dynamic, changing cities in a strategy game with a big focus on building cities.

actually i think you will find that the pictures we are looking at are BOTH screenshots

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Alouicious posted:

actually i think you will find that the pictures we are looking at are BOTH screenshots

You are funny, and never let anyone tell you otherwise :)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

So wait, is the town screen just going to always look the same in 7? I'm confused.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm replaying GTA San Andreas, and it is absolutely ridiculous how much better the "Supply Lines" mission becomes if you put it off until you've done the flight school. I only had like ~75% pilot skill, and it still had the RC plane control beautifully and honestly made the mission fun.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Byzantine posted:

I'm replaying GTA San Andreas, and it is absolutely ridiculous how much better the "Supply Lines" mission becomes if you put it off until you've done the flight school. I only had like ~75% pilot skill, and it still had the RC plane control beautifully and honestly made the mission fun.

There's a half-memory trying to enter me, of fighting RC planes in San Andreas, or fighting with them? But I refuse to look past the veil and expose that old pain.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
In TYOOL 2015, if you're going to play a GTA3 game, it should be Vice City.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Motorbikes were real fun.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Byzantine posted:

The first time I played "Supply Lines", on PS2 in 2004, I passed it the first time without even trying.

When I replayed the game in about 2011, it took me about 20 attempts. :shrug:

Always struggled with N.O.E, though. (drat trees.)

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I think the city screen aesthetics of the HOMM2 hold up much better than any game since. It's colourful and cartoonish and everything from 3 onwards has looked like free downloadable fantasy windows wallpapers from the 90s.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

muscles like this? posted:

A general thing I dislike is the concept of "real" endings. Especially when if you aren't doing whatever convoluted thing to get the real one the game has a downer ending.

Or just 100% completion endings. Spend $60 on a game and miss out on the beautifully animated tearjerker of an ending because you no longer have the twitch response of a 12-year-old on a sugar high.

In my dotage, I've gained an appreciation for 4x games.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Even worse is the recent trend of using DLC as the "real" ending and/or setting up the sequel hook. ME2's Arrival DLC is one of the worst: it came out over a year after the game originally premiered and six months after the last DLC so even superfans had moved on, it was EA's special DLC that requires their funbux so it never went on sale or got packaged in with the main game since by then they were doing the Origin thing, and in the end the entire sequel hook about dark matter and blowing up mass relays and Shepard being a wanted criminal was completely abandoned.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Bioware points were definitely a thing that dragged down Bioware games. Any kind of intermediary/indirect payment type instead of actual dollars was hot garbage and I'm glad they've fallen out of favour in pretty much any non-mobile game.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

Even worse is the recent trend of using DLC as the "real" ending and/or setting up the sequel hook. ME2's Arrival DLC is one of the worst: it came out over a year after the game originally premiered and six months after the last DLC so even superfans had moved on, it was EA's special DLC that requires their funbux so it never went on sale or got packaged in with the main game since by then they were doing the Origin thing, and in the end the entire sequel hook about dark matter and blowing up mass relays and Shepard being a wanted criminal was completely abandoned.

Asura's wrath also did this, except I can't even remember if the base game had anything resembling a conclusion.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The worst is actually Prince of Persia 08, where the original ending has the main character letting the bad guy win in order to save the princess and the game just kind of ending with that. Then they released DLC which actually gave the game a real ending.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The worst is actually Prince of Persia 08, where the original ending has the main character letting the bad guy win in order to save the princess and the game just kind of ending with that. Then they released DLC which actually gave the game a real ending.

Isn't that also the DLC that was never, and will never be, released on PC?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

queserasera posted:

Or just 100% completion endings. Spend $60 on a game and miss out on the beautifully animated tearjerker of an ending because you no longer have the twitch response of a 12-year-old on a sugar high.

Just watch it on YouTube. :shrug:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

RyokoTK posted:

Vice City, Best City

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I was deleting junk off my 360's hard drive and I saw that I had 99% completion for the main story in Assassin's Creed IV. I started up the game and looked up what I was missing: a treasure map that you could only get if you had a Uplay pass thing that was set up when you activated the pre-order bonus stuff. I gave the game to my sister as a birthday gift, so I was unable to get that last map unless I wanted to purchase a new Uplay pass thing.

I know I essentially dominated the single-player mode, but it's a bit irritating that you HAD to be connected to the Internet and have a Uplay thing to 100% it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They actually ended up disabling the Uplay pass stuff for the game pretty quickly after release. They changed it to a free download.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I wish I had known that, goodbye 99% save. :negative:

I'll never try for that again. The thread has covered this already, but the only parts I loved were the actual pirate parts. I tried to avoid all land-based missions until I ran out of fun stuff to do.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I thought the ending to PoP08 was really good actually.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

There's a Let's Play of Prince of Persia '08 where someone who used to work on the game posted a bit about the development process in the thread. Here's his explanation for the DLC:

Gimbal lock posted:

Hell, let me tell you about DLC. Back in 2007, DLC was one of those things that people thought was going to be the future. The whole horse armor thing was still fairly fresh, so we knew that it had to be substantial for it to not be dumb. As the game's production was deep underway and largely finished, some people started working on the task of what the DLC would be. The conclusion was of good intention, that it would be a high-production extra chapter to the story for players that want more of the game. And an extra chapter it was: so much so that players ended up considering it practically essential to get the full story of the game. People thought that this was planned all along and that the company was trying to force players to buy DLC to get the full game. Woops. From then on out, I think the projects have been more careful about their subjects for DLC and have been opting to use them to tell side-stories instead.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spek posted:

Everything mentioned except saving Shadow on the floating continent is hinted towards(and even that is, slightly). You just talk to the various NPCs in town and they give hints to where to collect the various party members, espers, and important items. Even if you don't talk to the NPCs it should become obvious fairly early on that there's a party member, esper, or important piece of loot in just about every enter-able area on the map.

I think the only thing that isn't really hinted towards is how to uncurse the cursed shield. They tell you you can uncurse it but never that I can remember imply you would do so by winning fights while wearing it.

I always considered the Magimaster the closest thing the game has to a superboss. Doomgaze is a pushover unless most of your team's level is a multiple of 5, level 5 death is a stupid ability.

The game could have used some decent superbosses though so the battle system could stretch its legs a bit more. Unfortunately they made the dual mistakes of using 16bits to store enemy hp so no enemy can have more than 65535 health and making it so almost all good attacks ignore defense so a well equipped party can kill anything in at most 7 or 8 attacks. Poor damage/success rate/what-have-you formulas drag down most of the FFs sadly. Only FFX of the numbered games actually did good damage/defense/success rate/etc formulas.

Ebot's Rock is the only dungeon that doesn't have a good reward. Its reward being that the final boss is the only place you can learn Strago's strongest Lore which is just a crappier version of Ultima and almost certainly useless by the time you get it and you need to finagle Hidon to cast it if you want it which is a tedious pain.

I think the idea was the same as they did later with Chrono Trigger where there would be a bunch of sidequests that you don't need to do but you'll probably need to do a fraction of them just for the gear/exp. It might have worked a bit better in CT since it had Gasper to hint to all the side quests rather than needing to talk to every random NPC in every town in the world to find them and since you didn't have to do as many of them to build a game winning party with.

After getting the Airship in the World of Ruin is my favourite part of any JRPG. The aimless wandering trying to figure out what to do and where to go. Trying to guess where they hid my favourite characters so I could go there first. Finding something delightfully unexpected at the end of a dungeon. That was so much fun as a kid. I wish more games would do something like that.

Wasn't there a second Ultima Weapon in Kefka's Castle that you could fight? I always thought that was the super boss. Also the 7 dragons, while not hard still gave you something to hunt down for great gear.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I really liked Prince of Persia '08 and I'm bummed it hasn't gotten a sequel in the same vein.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing The Darkness 1 and, clunky as it is, I'm really enjoying it. The story and characters have managed to sucker me in unexpectedly well, and the powers are really fun to use. Between this and Escape from Butcher Bay, Starbreeze do/did an amazing job at taking questionable licenses and making really good games out of them with incredibly relatable characters and dialogue. Things dragging it down now that I accidentally care about some broody 90s B-comic characters, in 2015:

1) I know the sequel ends on a cliffhanger and a third game does not seem to be happening
2) The comics based on it are apparently so utterly awful that they managed to sputter on readerless until like a month ago when they unceremoniously had the main character killed off pointlessly after 20 years in a side issue of Witchblade that nobody read because nobody still reads Top Cow

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rap Music and Dope posted:

I'm sorry but are incredibly mistaken dude. You think graphics like that existed in 1993? Heroes of might and magic 3 was released in 1999......
Heroes of might and magic ONE, the first entry to the series was released in 95. I honestly don't understand how you could get that confused unless you were born in the late 90s or something.

HOMM3.....1999...... I'm sorry to be such a sperg but christ man no, just, no.

I'm not good at dates :doh: I just googled and copy and pasted without really thinking.

1999 does make more sense in retrospect. It feels like HOMM3 came out before HL1 though, which was '98. But I guess I'm thinking of playing HOMM2 and then when HOMM3 came out I just assumed it had been out for a few years and I hadn't bought it yet because I was a kid and had no money.

Born in the 80s though so... yeah.

Heavy Lobster posted:

The bottom shot looks pretty good, sorry the game didn't stick to the Geocities fan site aesthetic over the years.

It looks like a "come play my lord" style facebook ad. You need your eyes checked.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Zaphod42 posted:

It looks like a "come play my lord" style facebook ad. You need your eyes checked.

dork

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm playing The Darkness 1 and, clunky as it is, I'm really enjoying it. The story and characters have managed to sucker me in unexpectedly well, and the powers are really fun to use. Between this and Escape from Butcher Bay, Starbreeze do/did an amazing job at taking questionable licenses and making really good games out of them with incredibly relatable characters and dialogue. Things dragging it down now that I accidentally care about some broody 90s B-comic characters, in 2015:

1) I know the sequel ends on a cliffhanger and a third game does not seem to be happening
2) The comics based on it are apparently so utterly awful that they managed to sputter on readerless until like a month ago when they unceremoniously had the main character killed off pointlessly after 20 years in a side issue of Witchblade that nobody read because nobody still reads Top Cow
Darkness 1 has a conclusive ending at least. It's its not an happy ending at all, but its an actual ending.

You should check out the two new Wolfenstein games, New Order and Old Blood, a bunch of ex-Starbreeze guys made them and it really shows.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
No More Heroes was a great game brought down by a lack of substance. It was flashy and weird, but shallow -- and that's okay. Not every game has to be Dark Souls in terms of depth. No More Heroes 2, on the other hand, seems so shallow and threadbare that I honestly think it shouldn't have existed. Now I understand why Grasshopper Manufacture doesn't like to make sequels.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The first Darkness game was pretty loving awesome. It looked gritty and cinematic, and it had satisfying conclusion: Jackie gets his revenge, but the Darkness claims him. But then the sequel comes along and "LOL! Nope, he ends up okay, and he's now a mob boss! gently caress your detailed photorealism, enjoy your cel-shaded pile of hot garbage based directly on a mediocre license nobody gives a poo poo about!"

I played the sequel for about fifteen minutes before putting in its case and trading it in. I had already given up after the opening spiel as told by a jittery crack addict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The second game also no longer has Kirk Acevedo voicing Jackie.