Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Just add the cost of Minecraft to your lodge's annual dues and host your elitist Masonic dinners in cyberspace, drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aureus
Nov 20, 2006

We had the California Grand Lodge trying to walk away with our property and our money. Some evidence existed that they were planning to sell our 95 year old building and build a new lodge building for 1/4 or less of what they'd get selling our property. What they'd do with that money... maybe good things? Who knows, but it was a blatant attempt to grab cash. They even walked off with our charter to hold it ransom.

Our response was to reach out to Arizona and see if they'd give us a charter. That looked rather likely and so California Grand Lodge finally backed down, we got our charter back in our possession and kept our property and our money. The money mainly existing to self-insure our building.

Loomer, I tell this story because it sounds like your Lodge could attempt a similar action and get in touch with a Neighboring state's Grand Lodge and see if you can get a charter from them instead.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Just add the cost of Minecraft to your lodge's annual dues and host your elitist Masonic dinners in cyberspace, drat it.

That would certainly save the debates on what to have for dinner.

"Eat whatever you want, Brethren!"

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
Do any of you California brothers have a car for sale at a low price? I'm in a pickle and I'm trying every resource I have.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Keetron posted:

Sorry to hear Loomer, I build this one for you guys.

I know it is lame and has a couple of fatal flaws but eh.

Still better than where we're currently able to meet, which is nowhere!

Aureus posted:

We had the California Grand Lodge trying to walk away with our property and our money. Some evidence existed that they were planning to sell our 95 year old building and build a new lodge building for 1/4 or less of what they'd get selling our property. What they'd do with that money... maybe good things? Who knows, but it was a blatant attempt to grab cash. They even walked off with our charter to hold it ransom.

Our response was to reach out to Arizona and see if they'd give us a charter. That looked rather likely and so California Grand Lodge finally backed down, we got our charter back in our possession and kept our property and our money. The money mainly existing to self-insure our building.

Loomer, I tell this story because it sounds like your Lodge could attempt a similar action and get in touch with a Neighboring state's Grand Lodge and see if you can get a charter from them instead.

That's an interesting option, but I'm not sure if the brethren would go for it. I'll keep it in mind, however, and it does have another attraction to it.

Some of you may remember that some years ago the Grand Lodge here banned by edict of the Grand Master the discussion of "...any form of esotericism which encompasses or tends towards – occultism, sorcery, alchemy, astrology, profane mysticism, transcendentalism, supernaturalism, druidism, rosicrucianism, satanism or any concept or movement related to any of these. The presentation, endorsement and/or promotion of such subjects in any Lodge holding under the UGL of NSW and ACT whether the Lodge be open, adjourned, at refreshment or closed or at any connected or associated Lodge function should be deemed irregular and is strictly forbidden."

Not only is this a problem when it comes to presenting talks and research articles about other fraternal societies with cross-over with our Order, it outright prevents some avenues of purely Masonic inquiry - e.g., what exactly was the role of the Rosicrucians in establishing Masonry, or an examination of much of the works of some esteemed masonic authors like Pike and Manly Palmer Hall. This is especially on my mind of late because my proposed lodge library would be considered an associated lodge function despite being privately owned and curated. I could not, at risk of being deemed irregular, place some of the most illuminating works on our Craft in that library as a result - one excellent example I have examines the development of stonemason's marks and how it affected Masonic symbolism in due time, but those stonemasons deliberately used mystical and magical symbols in their marks, which is a subject now rendered forbidden. I must also mention the insanity of prohibiting the discussion of astrology in a Masonic Lodge - a place in which the liberal arts and sciences are highly regarded! The GL of our nearest neighbouring state does not have such prohibitions.

Fortunately, we are not prohibited from practicing or discussing any of these subjects.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Hey, uh, did any of you initiate a meth dealing Scientologist?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718977&perpage=40#post445100965

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Daaamn that is some impressive crazy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay, some questions.

As I begin this process, I have some options available to me with several lodges nearby. Should I shop around and try to find the right one for me, or should I just go for the closest? I'm not even sure if "shopping around" is appropriate, but I know some lodges people have described definitely seem more appealing than others. If I join a particular lodge, am I committed to that lodge for the long haul or is switching between them as my regular lodge not a big deal? I know there are the different approaches to masonry in general, like the neo-moderns vs. neo-ancients, and from the article that was posted in this thread the second was a lot more appealing sounding than the first, but I also don't want to ask questions that would come off as rude or anything.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's a difficult issue but I'd ask masons for recommendations on lodges based on their ritual work. Not many brothers will object to someone who wants to learn the Ritual and its underlying symbolism exceptionally well. However, you can join any lodge and visit any other Lodge so don't worry too much. Switching is a slightly trickier thing but also not particularly uncommon, so if you find your mother lodge isn't quite right for you you can move on to another.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Loomer posted:

It's a difficult issue but I'd ask masons for recommendations on lodges based on their ritual work.
I have no idea how to turn this into something actionable, hah.

quote:

Not many brothers will object to someone who wants to learn the Ritual and its underlying symbolism exceptionally well. However, you can join any lodge and visit any other Lodge so don't worry too much. Switching is a slightly trickier thing but also not particularly uncommon, so if you find your mother lodge isn't quite right for you you can move on to another.
Okay, thanks.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just affiliated with a new lodge, and I'm already an officer and have a key to the building.

Well... that was easy.

Ugh this is going to be a busy next few years. Next year I'll be Illustrious Master (Council), year after that I'll be Commander (KT), year after that I'll be High Priest (Chapter) and plain ol' Master of my lodge. Phew.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I have to brag a bit on his behalf: my father just became deputy's rep for his valley. I'm only in blue lodge, but I think this makes him a fairly high muckety muck.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Got to meet a bunch of the folk at the lodge yesterday. I am already a huge fan of their master of rituals, seems like a pretty great dude, had some great conversation and felt comfortable right off the bat. I wasn't the only prospective mason there either, which was interesting. Apparently the lodge has been doing quite well with it's membership numbers.

So now I get to fill out an application and mail it in, and then they set up a proper interview and stuff, and after that hopefully I'll be in. I'm already enjoying myself and looking forward to interacting more with these people, so thank all of you for managing to get me involved.

I just hope I don't end up in charge of anything if I get in.

(Let's be honest, I am pretty sure I'm incapable of not ending up in charge of something)

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Was told tonight, in the presence of the Grand Master, that I'm being recommended for District Deputy Grand Master for the term starting next year.
I'm far from a millennial, but I literally can't even.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

GlyphGryph posted:

Got to meet a bunch of the folk at the lodge yesterday. I am already a huge fan of their master of rituals, seems like a pretty great dude, had some great conversation and felt comfortable right off the bat. I wasn't the only prospective mason there either, which was interesting. Apparently the lodge has been doing quite well with it's membership numbers.

So now I get to fill out an application and mail it in, and then they set up a proper interview and stuff, and after that hopefully I'll be in. I'm already enjoying myself and looking forward to interacting more with these people, so thank all of you for managing to get me involved.

I just hope I don't end up in charge of anything if I get in.

(Let's be honest, I am pretty sure I'm incapable of not ending up in charge of something)

Don't worry. You've got at least a year on entry before getting put in charge of anything, period.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Why do fringe conspiracy theorists care so much about Morals and Dogma as some masonic cornerstone? I have never heard it mentioned or referenced by any Mason I've met.

Seriously, I've heard it referenced outside of that thread by someone who called me lazy for refusing to read it even after I tried to explain multiple times that I'm just not that concerned with the possibility of octagenarians summoning Lucifer.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 14, 2015

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
They believe that the 33s control all of Freemasonry and that it is a linear, no-exceptions matter of rising ranks rather than 95% of Freemasons having no affiliation with the AASR at all and sometimes actual opposition to some of their practices. If they'd just look to Red Lodge - the Royal Arch - they'd be closer to the truth since, at least here and in England, most GL officers are also high-up in RA or RA GC officers. I've read parts of Morals and Dogma and I've found it interesting, but I'm holding off until such a time as I join the AASR to read further as I'd prefer to obtain the proper keys for decoding it. Likewise, I don't read about the teachings of the RA since I lack the tools to understand them in the Masonic manner.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Cholmondeley posted:

Was told tonight, in the presence of the Grand Master, that I'm being recommended for District Deputy Grand Master for the term starting next year.
I'm far from a millennial, but I literally can't even.

That's excellent, congratulations!

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

legsarerequired posted:

Why do fringe conspiracy theorists care so much about Morals and Dogma as some masonic cornerstone? I have never heard it mentioned or referenced by any Mason I've met.

Seriously, I've heard it referenced outside of that thread by someone who called me lazy for refusing to read it even after I tried to explain multiple times that I'm just not that concerned with the possibility of octagenarians summoning Lucifer.

I don't know, maybe there's something in the meth they're smoking that triggers being obsessed with that book.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Noctis Horrendae posted:

I don't know, maybe there's something in the meth they're smoking that triggers being obsessed with that book.

You'd need to be on something to enjoy it. (No offense but that book rubbed me the wrong way)

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Lovable Luciferian posted:

You'd need to be on something to enjoy it. (No offense but that book rubbed me the wrong way)

I might just pick it up.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
M&D is dense, but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.
I also only read the first three chapters for the reason stated earlier.

There are two whitecaps in my lodge that are regularly active.
I find it insufferable when one of them (in particular) is treated as if he is anything more than a PM while in lodge.
Edit: and head of the temple association, and past grand something or another. I feel that I did need to throw that distinction in after the fact. What's insufferable, is that people have used his decisions (and lack there of) on matters not related to any position he currently holds in our blue lodge, as if they are worth more than a single vote. If anybody in an appendant body has more say because of an honor given in said body, it should be purely political. I don't care if outside the lodge you may be prince, king or potentate. All brothers are equal in the body of the lodge.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 16, 2015

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
To understand Morals and Dogma, one must first understand that Pike, despite his trappings, was at heart, a prickly little butthurt Southern Gereral, who would never get over the humiliation of losing the Civil War. (aka "The War of Northern Aggression Against Southern Liberties" in Pike's parlance.)

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Cholmondeley posted:

To understand Morals and Dogma, one must first understand that Pike, despite his trappings, was at heart, a prickly little butthurt Southern Gereral, who would never get over the humiliation of losing the Civil War. (aka "The War of Northern Aggression Against Southern Liberties" in Pike's parlance.)

Quite.
What bothers me is that people can choose to see through this for Pike, yet are unconcerned about doing so when reading other racist authors.
Mein Kampf anybody?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Solvent posted:

Edit: and head of the temple association, and past grand something or another.

Is it Past Grand Master? Because if it is then I would give his opinions extra value.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Likewise, if it was Grand Director of Ceremonies or the equivalent, I'd be inclined to take his word on the Ritual over that of most brethren by virtue of experience and knowledge.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Loomer posted:

Likewise, if it was Grand Director of Ceremonies or the equivalent, I'd be inclined to take his word on the Ritual over that of most brethren by virtue of experience and knowledge.

Yeah if it was a former Grand Lecturer/Assistant Grand Lecturer I would defer to them unless a current GL official was there, like a district inspector.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Is it Past Grand Master? Because if it is then I would give his opinions extra value.

No.

The incident that irks me follows:

My secretarial predecessor was handed a box of masonic rings, given to him by the widows of brothers of the lodge, by the brother I speak of.
Secretary cowan picked out the most monetarily valuable one and with that brother's (heard several versions, I'm going to go with innocuous, as I do respect said whitecap as a brother), lack of concern for what happened to them, if not outright permission as he claimed, and "melted it down to make a ring for his wife".
I imagine he sold it to a gold broker during the height of the value of gold.
Secretary cowan is a kiss rear end, and a blackhat last I heard.

I have been absent from lodge, and was recently told that secretary cowan is back, and seeking his old position.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
What's this blackhat/whitecap thing?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's a yank Scottish Rite thing. If they're actually wearing their hats in Lodge, the Tyler should be forbidding them entry. No hats, drat it.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Yes, it's a Scottish Rite thing. They wouldn't be wearing them in a blue lodge, but it's not uncommon to refer to 33's as whitehats.
The 33 is meaningless outside of the S.R., except in a purely symbolic way.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Solvent posted:

No.

The incident that irks me follows:

My secretarial predecessor was handed a box of masonic rings, given to him by the widows of brothers of the lodge, by the brother I speak of.
Secretary cowan picked out the most monetarily valuable one and with that brother's (heard several versions, I'm going to go with innocuous, as I do respect said whitecap as a brother), lack of concern for what happened to them, if not outright permission as he claimed, and "melted it down to make a ring for his wife".
I imagine he sold it to a gold broker during the height of the value of gold.
Secretary cowan is a kiss rear end, and a blackhat last I heard.

I have been absent from lodge, and was recently told that secretary cowan is back, and seeking his old position.

A Past Grand Master once said to me "Lovable Luciferian, there are as many rear end in a top hat in that lodge as there are outside" and then he patted me on the back.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

A Past Grand Master once said to me "Lovable Luciferian, there are as many rear end in a top hat in that lodge as there are outside" and then he patted me on the back.

Amen brother.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Our secretary told me something similar. Freemasonry aims to make good men better men, but that doesn't help the handful of assholes who join.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Loomer posted:

They believe that the 33s control all of Freemasonry and that it is a linear, no-exceptions matter of rising ranks rather than 95% of Freemasons having no affiliation with the AASR at all and sometimes actual opposition to some of their practices. If they'd just look to Red Lodge - the Royal Arch - they'd be closer to the truth since, at least here and in England, most GL officers are also high-up in RA or RA GC officers. I've read parts of Morals and Dogma and I've found it interesting, but I'm holding off until such a time as I join the AASR to read further as I'd prefer to obtain the proper keys for decoding it. Likewise, I don't read about the teachings of the RA since I lack the tools to understand them in the Masonic manner.

This is interesting, I wonder if you could elaborate (for a layman) on what the Scottish Rite means respective to the greater body of Freemasonry? I didn't know they were so rare. A couple of years ago, my grandfather revealed to me that he was a 13th degree Scottish Rite mason. I think he was trying to perk my interest, but at the time I didn't know what to say. I've been considering taking the first step and expressing interest since then, learning what I can.

edit: are you guys saying Scottish Rite/blackhat is a bad thing? :ohdear:

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 17, 2015

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Scottish Rite is fine in and of itself, don't worry. I may have overstated their relative rarity based on my own Jurisdiction - in the Australian lodges, AASR is markedly less popular than it is in America. We go more for what you yanks know as the York or American Rites, ironically enough, with the Royal Arch being the heavy duty major body.

The Scottish Rite is an appendant body of masonry, which means it exists as a seperate society - albeit one that only Master Masons may be admitted to. It's an old one, practicing some very distinctive teachings, with a lot of degrees that don't 'really' exist in the sense of full rituals and teachings but are rather conferred. What it means to Freemasonry depends on where and who you are, and which members of the AASR you're talking about. Some Masons view it was an essential limb of freemasonry that everyone should try and enter into if possible, others don't think it's that important, and some think its a crock of poo poo. A 33rd degree AASR should hold no additional sway over the body of Craft masonry by dint of his title, and while many worshipful masters of lodges and even grand masters may have been members of the Scottish Rite, this mostly comes because it takes a special level of interest in Freemasonry to become a GL officer or a repeat WM and that special interest will usually extend to joining appendant bodies in search of more Light. Most Freemasons, at least historically, never join an appendant body.

That's also why you do sometimes see people talk about high-ups in Scottish or York Rites with respect. It's not because they outrank a MM in degree (no one in the Lodge, with the exception of the WM and to a limited degree Past Masters, is any higher in standing than any other MM present) but because to invest that level of time, money and commitment into an appendant body indicates that they're usually a dedicated, learned, and experienced Freemason with a solid grasp of what it means to be a Mason. There is a slight exception in UGLE and derived territories with our Royal Arch, which we explicitly recognize as the culmination of the three Degrees in our constitutions and which can sometimes be afforded special respect accordingly (mostly in the wearing of RA regalia in a Craft Lodge), but the same generally holds true. Even with that being the case, only about ~5-10% of Australian freemasons are also Royal Arch. It is my understanding that this is a fairly accurate 'high end' number for most appendant bodies the world over, with the exception of England where the RA is significantly larger proportionately.

Unfortunately, some individuals don't live up to that expectation like the Blackhat Solvent is talking about. But that's not exceptional to the AASR - my own lodge is embroiled in a wee spot of bother thanks to the corrupt actions of one of our neighbouring lodges, for instance. Bad men lurk everywhere, and some of them sometimes enter Masonry and, in due time, the AASR/RA. There is nothing in the AASR/RA that predisposes or instructs its members towards jackassery.

EDIT:
Also bear in mind that I'm still relatively fresh as a Freemason. I can't actually join the RA myself for another year as my jurisdiction requires us to be a Master Mason for at least two years first. Part of why England has a higher proportionate membership is they allow a much faster progression into the RA.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 17, 2015

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Loomer posted:

Unfortunately, some individuals don't live up to that expectation like the Blackhat Solvent is talking about.

Secretary cowan can sniff around all he likes.
He will never hold a position in the lodge I belong to, so long as I live.
I have a long memory and hate oathbreakers.
I think they just want me to come back after the PM I handed the job over leaves.

Time for an unpopular opinion by Solvent.
I am a person who deeply believes in personal liberty, and I have friends from all walks of life.
I do not believe that openly gay men should be allowed into blue lodge masonry.
I am pro gay marriage and was out exit interviewing with two gay friends of mine, after prop 8 was passed in California.
God, I think the gayest thing I've ever done in my life was to go and see Bruno with the two of them.
No religious compulsion, and I am for equality in almost any other issue.
Nobody brings it up, and I've never heard it publicly addressed, but I did notice that the GLoC changed some forms recently, that seem to say they're totally cool with it.
I think it was the suddenly gender neutral terms regarding spouse.
Any thoughts?

Solvent fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 17, 2015

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solvent posted:

I am a person who deeply believes in personal liberty, and I have friends from all walks of life.
Something I can relate to.

quote:

. . .

Any thoughts?
Guess I'd be out then. :shrug:

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Not necessarily, this is an opinion of mine, and I am one man, one Mason.
One Mason can never speak for the whole of the fraternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Solvent posted:

Any thoughts?

I will try to remain civil, so can you motivate this with any masonic writings as to prevent me from considering you a bunch of nasty.