Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Demiurge4 posted:

I really wish he'd finish the Pariah books. But at least Warmaster is coming out next month.

Amazon says Feb 2016 for Warmaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

goodness posted:

Amazon says Feb 2016 for Warmaster.

You're a monster. It's June 25th.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I have a shameful confession to make. I have often eyed these books at the library but have never committed to reading one. I'd like to read at least one to see if I like the genre, which one would you guys recommend?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dalael posted:

I have a shameful confession to make. I have often eyed these books at the library but have never committed to reading one. I'd like to read at least one to see if I like the genre, which one would you guys recommend?

Read Eisenhorn, then come back.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Read Eisenhorn, either way don't come back.

FTFY

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Numismancer posted:

Eisenhorn's slow descent into self-justifying radicalism in books two and three is the best of Abnett's work. It's precisely because Eisenhorn is so intelligent that he's able to do such a good job of fooling himself, while being partially aware of that process as it takes him into overt sorcery.

One of the best parts for me was book 3 when all of his people get hit on the same day. The Distaff, operatives, all that. Then the reveal on who it is that set it all up is pretty nuts.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Don't listen to that guy, Eisenhorn fuckin owns. The Ravenor series is his weakest imo

Its good as gently caress! I just reserve the right to call out Eisenhorn for doing the dumbest poo poo whilst telling himself "the end justifies the means, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING GOD-EMPEROR DAMNIT!"

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Demiurge4 posted:

Read Eisenhorn, then come back.

No Kindle editions? Too bad.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I read part of the first Eisenhorn book at the insistence of a friend, and it wasn't bad but it definitely was not nearly compelling enough to justify its length and i never got close to finishing it. Warhammer 40k stuff is neat to read about in the abstract but even Dan Abnett, who is the best writer of 40k fiction, can't keep me engrossed in the fundamental silliness of what amounts to lore for expensive manchild toys.

That said, I'm sad we may not get a sequel to the Space Marine third person shooter. That game was pretty fun and the story was alright too.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I read the first Eisenhorn book and it was alright but not compelling enough to fish out the other books. Now, the Enforcer series is really good for just how horrible humans can be to each other in the 40K universe without involving Chaos or aliens.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Anyone know if hyperdunking is still a thing? I started training to Bowhead on my alt account and two guys from my corp willing to help me with suicide gunking.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010
Almost done with Korea, soon I'll be back in USTZ and able to lead more fleets. Hole Squad best squad.

Sixx Spades
Aug 16, 2013

Hyperdunking is still a thing and hasn't changed from the ways it was previously described. Just be aware that there are players out there looking to counter that gank strategy in more frequented systems like Niarja or Uedama, so pick a quieter system.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JviRLe4SQDc

:rip: My machariel. Mistakes were made, lessons were (hopefully) learnt. The audio is kinda messed up because OBS was recording my mic way, way louder than it was recording mumble.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Viva Miriya posted:

Its good as gently caress! I just reserve the right to call out Eisenhorn for doing the dumbest poo poo whilst telling himself "the end justifies the means, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING GOD-EMPEROR DAMNIT!"

That's a feature, not a bug~

Anyhoo in Eve News (tm) not only are we having to reschedule Burn Amarr to be June-ish, we're skunkworksing on a new homeland defense organization to help defend ratters and miners, something we've never bothered to do before in the history of Goonswarm because it was literally pointless until Fozziesov hits in July. This isn't even an 'avoid entosis hacking' thing, that's mainfleet work, but a 'how do we keep our otherwise kind of silly afk ratters from dying horribly to lone interceptors' group.

Index Defense SIG, not sure what to call it, thinking of literally naming it "The Index" because I'm hopped up on tons of cold meds. Good excuse to use lots of fast anti-frig poo poo like Jackdaws and Mordus ships, zoom around Dek blowing up would-be gankers, etc.

Since I'm hopped up on cold meds I'm announcing this draft idea here, it's actually a tough nut to crack because inties are essentially uncatchable unless we literally standardize doctrines for ratting ships to ensure they have enough EHP to survive until help arrives.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Numismancer posted:

Since I'm hopped up on cold meds I'm announcing this draft idea here, it's actually a tough nut to crack because inties are essentially uncatchable unless we literally standardize doctrines for ratting ships to ensure they have enough EHP to survive until help arrives.

Didn't Theta kind of do that already?

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
People dying to lone interceptors isn't a problem. Its Darwinism in action! Seriously, stop poo poo fitting VNI's people.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ego Trip posted:

Yes, but not everyone does it. Nor do some people care enough. They go long enough between losses to just eat them and keep replacing them.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

Ego Trip posted:

We don't ever direct social squads or give them responsibilities. Defeats the purpose of a pure-chill (or un-chill of you choose one like that) social unit.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

What are social squads?

Found it on wiki. I definitely have to :lurkmore: shame on me.

Kirs fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 11, 2015

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Theta , Sigma, Homeland Defense, Queerswarm, etc.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Whatever happened to the queen of Sirenswarm who had a meltdown at a custom title?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Numismancer posted:

That's a feature, not a bug~

Anyhoo in Eve News (tm) not only are we having to reschedule Burn Amarr to be June-ish, we're skunkworksing on a new homeland defense organization to help defend ratters and miners, something we've never bothered to do before in the history of Goonswarm because it was literally pointless until Fozziesov hits in July. This isn't even an 'avoid entosis hacking' thing, that's mainfleet work, but a 'how do we keep our otherwise kind of silly afk ratters from dying horribly to lone interceptors' group.

Index Defense SIG, not sure what to call it, thinking of literally naming it "The Index" because I'm hopped up on tons of cold meds. Good excuse to use lots of fast anti-frig poo poo like Jackdaws and Mordus ships, zoom around Dek blowing up would-be gankers, etc.

Divide dek into zones with a seperate ju- style ratting fleet in each one, recommend fits that can survive until help arrives/have cynos and persuade people to always be in a ratting fleet which is also filled with homeland defense sig guys (who should be patrolling space lanes reminding non-compliant citizens that they should be in the ratting fleet). A completely AFK ratter is still going to die, but at least with carriers ratting in every part of dek, they can respond to someone who realizes he's dying and says something by jumping to a cyno and repping them while the other members of the fleet haul rear end to them to kill the nuets.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Elmnt80 posted:

Divide dek into zones with a seperate ju- style ratting fleet in each one, recommend fits that can survive until help arrives/have cynos and persuade people to always be in a ratting fleet which is also filled with homeland defense sig guys (who should be patrolling space lanes reminding non-compliant citizens that they should be in the ratting fleet). A completely AFK ratter is still going to die, but at least with carriers ratting in every part of dek, they can respond to someone who realizes he's dying and says something by jumping to a cyno and repping them while the other members of the fleet haul rear end to them to kill the nuets.

This is what a few of us in Western Dek are doing already informally.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

goodness posted:

This thread is crap so far.

We could always discuss sauce some more.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Kirs posted:

Anyone know if hyperdunking is still a thing? I started training to Bowhead on my alt account and two guys from my corp willing to help me with suicide gunking.

Be careful doing it, a couple people have been kicked (from karmafleet) for hyperdunking because someone thought they were associated with me, or were me or something.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Numismancer posted:

IndexCeptors :colbert:

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Be careful doing it, a couple people have been kicked (from karmafleet) for hyperdunking because someone thought they were associated with me, or were me or something.

I think I can prove that I'm not you with my perfect Russian accent in mumble.

If this were the reason.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I was trying to think of what could even possibly reliably kill un-catchable interceptors, and all I could come up with is pipe-bombing style masses of smartbombing battleships parked on the gates so when they try to exit they get torn to shreds. I'd love to Rohk out with my cock out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hey, I was wondering about this lately - what are the odds that the casual antisemitism gets the :commissar:? At least within Imperium space/culture. In recent years the whole "sexual violence is funny" humour has certainly been discouraged.

More just asking than attempting to start any kind of goonvolution.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Huge_Midget posted:

I was trying to think of what could even possibly reliably kill un-catchable interceptors, and all I could come up with is pipe-bombing style masses of smartbombing battleships parked on the gates so when they try to exit they get torn to shreds. I'd love to Rohk out with my cock out.

this only really works if they come from where you expect them to though, all they have to do is bounce a celestial or perch thats far enough out of the way and you wont hit poo poo. all you can reliably do with this is force them to have to bounce to said perches, making them have less fun. sa matra only gets caught like this when he gets complacent, for example.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

scandoslav posted:

To be fair to Are Valued Allies, we haven't had the auth/API tools in place to 100% guarantee security. Soon, though. Soon. Maybe we can revisit blueing once they're in place.

Until then, FCON will probably remain our most consistent killer. :\

as a FCON I do recognize holesquid and will not shooting them first. seems other alliance member didn't receive that memo thru

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

CommonShore posted:

Hey, I was wondering about this lately - what are the odds that the casual antisemitism gets the :commissar:? At least within Imperium space/culture. In recent years the whole "sexual violence is funny" humour has certainly been discouraged.

it wont gain traction

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Where is the casual anti-semitism

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hemophilia posted:

Where is the casual anti-semitism

Well, on the off chance that you're not being ironic, consider the verb that's most commonly used as a euphemism for making isk.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

I'm in Theta, and it is a pretty loving embarrassing thing to have to try to explain to an outsider and not sound like a neo-nazi.

"So we chose JU-OWQ as our home system because, uh, well, our group is all about making money, and the name kinda sounds like Jew... and, well... I mean, you know... Jews, and, uh... money..." :shepicide:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Come on Don don't be so jewish about it :sun:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

HappyKitty posted:

I'm in Theta, and it is a pretty loving embarrassing thing to have to try to explain to an outsider and not sound like a neo-nazi.

"So we chose JU-OWQ as our home system because, uh, well, our group is all about making money, and the name kinda sounds like Jew... and, well... I mean, you know... Jews, and, uh... money..." :shepicide:

Except that isn't true. People hung out in JU- because GSOL put a bunch of poo poo there for geographical reasons. The big money makers in Theta don't rat, and aren't anywhere near JU-.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Viva Miriya posted:

Whatever happened to the queen of Sirenswarm who had a meltdown at a custom title?

She's still around and kicking.

masteen
Nov 23, 2010

HappyKitty posted:

Why are you ashamed of your Jewish heritage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Well, on the off chance that you're not being ironic, consider the verb that's most commonly used as a euphemism for making isk.

"Most commonly used" is a big stretch. Maybe in 2012. I haven't heard anybody call it 'jewing' since I've come back. Maybe I've been lucky, but that term seems to be pretty naturally falling out of favor. I was worried there was a new problem and not the same thing that's been agitating people since I joined.

• Locked thread