Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Mindblast posted:

So who owns the fox engine now then? :tinfoil:

There's no way it doesn't belong to Konami. I'm half-convinced that the only reason they permitted it to be developed was so PES could get a fancy new graphics engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If I believed that Konami had some business sense, I could at least see them just renting the Fox Engine out like Unreal for other devs to use. But with the P.T. purge, I'm not sure if even that is also going to be locked on a server and buried in the earth because gently caress having anything to do with video games anymore that aren't on mobiles/pachinko.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Sad Mammal posted:

Silent Hill 2 was made on double the budget of even the most successful video game kickstarter, and that's on PS2-level technology. If you want the same visual quality as PT it's gonna have to come from a studio.
Good point, but they should be able to do SOMETHING with the $2 million+ that a NOT-Silent Hill Kickstarter would bring in. Obviously not a 20+ hour AAA title with the PT graphics, but something cool. I wanna believe. Someone out there has to be capable of doing something Silent Hill-ish actually good since the ball has been dropped for so long.

Then again, I don't know much about the guy, he probably has no need or desire to do crowdfunding.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I would be totally surprised if nobody hires him and his team, Kojima is actually a rather big name video game dev and he has draw.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah I'm not seeing why anyone's worried about what Kojima himself is going to do when the answer is anything he and his team wants. Champagne problems.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A lot can be accomplished with a small budget. I look at Gone Home, which had a great nostalgic, homey feeling to it and very good detail despite a relatively small budget and limited scope, and that could easily be re-purposed into a horror game. Hell, most people thought it was a horror game up to its release.

Peel back the layers and PT's graphics weren't anything mind blowing. Horror games rely so heavily on lighting that you can get away with simplistic models if the atmosphere blows everybody away.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing why anyone's worried about what Kojima himself is going to do when the answer is anything he and his team wants. Champagne problems.

The problem I see is that he's such a big name and has an unwavering vision that he'll make demands that only the biggest pocket books could accommodate. Metal Gear games come out on average, what, every 4 or years or so? You look at the timeline of Metal Gear releases and towards the tail end Konami was really padding things out with HD collections and mobile titles. Between Peace Walker and Phantom Pain we're looking at basically a 5 year gap which is too much for most publishers to handle.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Oh he's probably already been courted by any big developer that can reach him, the question is if Kojima wants to do anything involving video games now or in the foreseeable future. I'd like to see him come up with something in a few months, but I don't know if he's going to take this departure from Konami as a vacation for a little while or not.

But the video game industry being his oyster is the silver lining to this debacle as he could probably convince any major producer to fund some sort of P.T./Metal Gear Like game just by paying EA or whoever a visit. He may be a bit of a creative Diva, but his name means something in the industry and he has the track record to back up the costs of signing him on.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 9, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As if it wasn't already apparent Konami is being run by the Yakuza as they attempt to destroy literally everything they once were, eBay has been removing PS4's advertising PT for "copyright infringement." It's hard to say if this is eBay being overzealous (they once took down phones for Flappy Bird) or if Konami requested this. I guess the final straw will be taking down all youtube videos but that hasn't happened yet.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Neo Rasa posted:

A person could say the same of David Lynch. Capital problems can get in the way of even huge names.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Skyscraper posted:

A person could say the same of David Lynch. Capital problems can get in the way of even huge names.

You all might feel bad about Silent Hills being dead and Twin Peaks S3 being possibly dead, but you're all gonna change your tune when Lynch/Kojima Productions gets off the ground.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You all might feel bad about Silent Hills being dead and Twin Peaks S3 being possibly dead, but you're all gonna change your tune when Lynch/Kojima Productions gets off the ground.

Their collective egos would fuse together creating an unstable black hole that sucks us all into a twisted nightmare dreamscape filled with 80s nostalgia, military fetishism, and twisted small towns.

Actually I want to see Kojima and David Lynch team up to make a neo-noir adventure game like Snatcher or Policenauts. That's both their bags.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

al-azad posted:

Their collective egos would fuse together creating an unstable black hole that sucks us all into a twisted nightmare dreamscape filled with 80s nostalgia, military fetishism, and twisted small towns.

Actually I want to see Kojima and David Lynch team up to make a neo-noir adventure game like Snatcher or Policenauts. That's both their bags.

swery is way ahead of you

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

al-azad posted:

A lot can be accomplished with a small budget. I look at Gone Home, which had a great nostalgic, homey feeling to it and very good detail despite a relatively small budget and limited scope, and that could easily be re-purposed into a horror game. Hell, most people thought it was a horror game up to its release.

Peel back the layers and PT's graphics weren't anything mind blowing. Horror games rely so heavily on lighting that you can get away with simplistic models if the atmosphere blows everybody away.

Has there been any hard numbers on Gone Home's development? The guy that made The Stanley Parable said it took roughly five years to make from conception to finish, and that's about as bare bones a concept as you can have, budget-wise. Fans tend to be far more forgiving than studios, but I don't see a backing community willing to sink X million into a video game that won't look as nice as a tech demo that probably cost in the low tens of thousands to make, especially if it takes years to complete.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sad Mammal posted:

Has there been any hard numbers on Gone Home's development? The guy that made The Stanley Parable said it took roughly five years to make from conception to finish, and that's about as bare bones a concept as you can have, budget-wise. Fans tend to be far more forgiving than studios, but I don't see a backing community willing to sink X million into a video game that won't look as nice as a tech demo that probably cost in the low tens of thousands to make, especially if it takes years to complete.

I don't know how much it cost but Gone Home was developed by four people living together. It took a year and a half using Unity so it can be assumed the budget was relatively small.

But we're talking about the same community that dumped 3.3 million into a documentary on the making of an adventure game, 4.1 million into the spiritual successor of Planescape, 3.8 million on Not-Megaman, and something in the range of 80+ million and counting on a space game that doesn't even have a real game wrapped around it. Nerds will spend money on creators they like and eat up whatever they crap out. I readily admit my lack of knowledge on game development but while a self-funded Not-Silent Hills may not look as good it could still be a fun, scary game.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Basticle posted:

swery is way ahead of you
Swery is way ahead of everyone.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

al-azad posted:

I don't know how much it cost but Gone Home was developed by four people living together. It took a year and a half using Unity so it can be assumed the budget was relatively small.

But we're talking about the same community that dumped 3.3 million into a documentary on the making of an adventure game, 4.1 million into the spiritual successor of Planescape, 3.8 million on Not-Megaman, and something in the range of 80+ million and counting on a space game that doesn't even have a real game wrapped around it. Nerds will spend money on creators they like and eat up whatever they crap out. I readily admit my lack of knowledge on game development but while a self-funded Not-Silent Hills may not look as good it could still be a fun, scary game.

At least Gone Home made a really fun CounterStrike map?

Also, some horror games benefit from bad graphics. I'm not saying that it should be one of those loving "5 minutes in Blender" Slenderman games, but something like Afraid of Monsters would not be nearly as uncomfortable if it had better graphics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Five Nights at Freddy's clones are apparently getting just a little out of hand.

http://toucharcade.com/2015/05/09/scott-cawthon-has-filed-a-subpoena-to-expose-fake-five-nights-at-freddys-4-creator/

Although how anyone could think the Apple Review team is competent confuses me. That's the same team that let a Pokemon Yellow that didn't even launch hit the app store.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Found this today randomly, don't know if it's been posted before. It's pretty impressive even if the models, animations and UI were taken from the original game according to the author:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IMlfVZHcC8

I'm not sure where the map geometry could've come from though, because it certainly didn't come from Resident Evil 2 (being pre-rendered stills). I think the creator did more work than he's letting on in the video description. Pretty cool in any case.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Translation for Clock Tower: The First Fear on PSX was released a little while ago.

http://www.romhacking.net

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

al-azad posted:

As if it wasn't already apparent Konami is being run by the Yakuza as they attempt to destroy literally everything they once were, eBay has been removing PS4's advertising PT for "copyright infringement." It's hard to say if this is eBay being overzealous (they once took down phones for Flappy Bird) or if Konami requested this. I guess the final straw will be taking down all youtube videos but that hasn't happened yet.

About that...

Of course this is just that Superbunnyhop video that had an anonymous source which may or may not have been true and not an actual play-through but....

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
P.T. will be talked about around the campfire by our grandchildren in hushed whispers at this rate.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

P.T. will be talked about around the campfire by our grandchildren in hushed whispers at this rate.

"To all attendees:

- Do not mention the phrase P.T. at the Konami Booth at E3 this year. Doing so will activate the nearby Fulton Drone who will then remove you from the convention center."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If Konami's conference isn't just a solid hour of journalists screaming WHY YOU FUCKS, game journalism has failed.

More than usual.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Have they even announced a conference or an E3 presence? I'm assuming they're just not going to be there. It's a prohibitively expensive event to attend.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Crabtree posted:

If I believed that Konami had some business sense, I could at least see them just renting the Fox Engine out like Unreal for other devs to use. But with the P.T. purge, I'm not sure if even that is also going to be locked on a server and buried in the earth because gently caress having anything to do with video games anymore that aren't on mobiles/pachinko.

Can't rent out an engine if you don't have any support to give, I mean, you can but no one's going to buy that poo poo

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zombie Samurai posted:

Have they even announced a conference or an E3 presence? I'm assuming they're just not going to be there. It's a prohibitively expensive event to attend.

If they are I hope everyone in the audience is completely silent and they just slowly extend their middle fingers in a kind of wave until even the people onstage with the CEOs are doing it. Then Konami just leave the stage in shame.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Zombie Samurai posted:

I can't imagine they would pay to have a booth there at this point. The mockery would be endless.
Then again, if they were in the business of good decision-making...

al-azad
May 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Found this today randomly, don't know if it's been posted before. It's pretty impressive even if the models, animations and UI were taken from the original game according to the author:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IMlfVZHcC8

I'm not sure where the map geometry could've come from though, because it certainly didn't come from Resident Evil 2 (being pre-rendered stills). I think the creator did more work than he's letting on in the video description. Pretty cool in any case.

I don't know why this doesn't have more views!

There was a PC version of RE2 so maybe he ripped the models from that and used them as the building blocks for his work. He definitely did a lot of work, he made those maps and objects. It certainly gives me hope that if one guy can do this in their spare time what could a small team with a modest budget accomplish?

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

About that...

Of course this is just that Superbunnyhop video that had an anonymous source which may or may not have been true and not an actual play-through but....

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim made by Konami Digital Entertainment Co. Ltd."

Jesus Christ, this is surpassing Capcom levels of dickishness.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
pre alpha pt demo screens

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Kulkasha posted:

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim made by Konami Digital Entertainment Co. Ltd."

Jesus Christ, this is surpassing Capcom levels of dickishness.

Oh excellent. Did anyone save a copy of this before it was pulled?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Kojima just took the opportunity to work on something else, something more profitable than video games

quote:

Hideo Kojima has shown off some of the detail on the Quiet doll currently being modelled by PlayArts, which will feature breasts that can be “pushed” and “lifted”.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Azran posted:

Kojima just took the opportunity to work on something else, something more profitable than video games

Can't wait for the die-hard Kojima fans to defend this as an artistic choice.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I thought the Japanese were all about passive aggression? Konami is being kinda active in this poo poo.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I thought the Japanese were all about passive aggression? Konami is being kinda active in this poo poo.

They haven't actually said much about it so that makes it passive as gently caress.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

She even has an alternate head with smeared mascara. That sure is creepy!

Oh, didn't even notice the bit about pose-able breast. Jesus man, just make a hentai game and get it over with.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh, didn't even notice the bit about pose-able breast. Jesus man, just make a hentai game and get it over with.

Quiet has some kind of strange ability where she teleports or turns invisible by manipulating her skin? Basically you can see her naked musculature as she warps around and the black poo poo around her eyes is a result of this.

It's not mascara but she insists on running around in her underwear after being tortured and Kojima has said we'll all feel sorry we doubted him once we know her true back story.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVMtdboa3bs&t=70s

Policenauts spoiler you can grope your daughter as well because why the hell not?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Found a mirror for SuperBunnyHop's Konami video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNSVhbsJyDQ

I believe this is the transcript noted in the video, taken from from NeoGaf.

Edit: Was looking for the transcript, was listed in my post instead.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Found a mirror for SuperBunnyHop's Konami video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNSVhbsJyDQ

Going to trawl for the transcript, so far there's this from NeoGaf.

Thanks! I hope that survives until I get home to a youtube downloader plugin.