Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Calaveron posted:

"We've got an APB out, suspect is caucasian male, 6'2", wearing a gabardine, scarf, and three layers in balmy 70 degrees weather. Coat, cap and scarf all have the same symbo- oh, you got him already? Ok then."

"It was pretty easy, we were checking all the cameras when we saw somebody that was blurred out on 5th Street and went to take a look."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mr. Highway posted:

Tidus has the absolute worst outfit in both style and function. Seriously, he plays a sport centered around swimming and he is wearing overalls.

It's almost like he was originally designed to be a mechanic or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aiden's secret identity is probably the worst-designed thing in the entire game. I'm sure Chip will show it off but holy poo poo is it dumb how poorly thought out it is.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Spiritus Nox posted:

God drat can we stop talking about Final Fantasy? If there is anything Goons get more obnoxious about than Final Fantasy I haven't found it.

Pokemon

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mr. Highway posted:

The problem I have with Aiden's design is that the developers tried to make his jacket part of a vigilante costume as well as part of everyday attire. No one else appears to wear clothes like his,

This is something that annoys me, they could of at the very least made it cold in Chicago and had other people wearing coats. But looking it up online, the Merlaut happens on October, the game is now 11 months later. So Aiden is wearing all those layers in September. Maybe its cause I'm in California but sweater weather isn't till October.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My favorite part is that Ubi Soft tried to push Aiden's outfit so hard as this iconic, well designed thing but it was so absurd they couldn't help but fail.
It's even more absurd than the AC outfit.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Leal posted:

Maybe its cause I'm in California but sweater weather isn't till October.

Former upstate New Yorker here; while I can't speak for Chicago specifically, it's well possible for weather to get around 50F by mid September by the lakes. If unlucky, it could likely be snowing by the end of the month.

Of course, the weather system, so far as we can tell at this point, doesn't have any snow.

The discussion about Cole made me curious, since Cole has some pretty extensive concept art and varying designs. I'd post an image of the closest thing to 'concept art' that came up for Aiden Pearce, but I think it spoils something we'll be seeing later. The point, though, is that it's just staggering how much less variety it has overall, versus most concept art you get for main characters. For being such a poorly defined character in terms of writing and backstory, they sure were dead-set on the 6-layer trenchcoat bandana hat look.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Current upstate NYer, and yeah, it can get chilly in September.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ometeotl posted:

Current upstate NYer, and yeah, it can get chilly in September.

At the same time, though, as an Upper Midwesterner it should take more than a little 50 degree cold snap for Aiden to break out something heavier than a jacket or hoodie.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Pacific Northwester; 50 degrees fahrenheit is maybe a light sweater at most.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

This is also true.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mr. Highway posted:

The problem I have with Aiden's design is that the developers tried to make his jacket part of a vigilante costume as well as part of everyday attire. No one else appears to wear clothes like his, yet the only change he makes when crime fighting is to pull up a scarf-mask. His hat, the back of the coat, and his scarf all have bat-symbol-style designs that happen to be unremarkable to eye witnesses. The game would solve this problem by having more characters wearing designer coats.

Compare Aiden's and Cole McGrath's designs: Both characters have unique and easily distinguished designs. Neither will be lost in a crowd. However, Cole's costume in both if 1 & 2 looks like clothing gathered naturally, like something anybody could gather to make a 'costume,' which is odd because, while Aiden tries to hide his identity, Cole wants people to know he's a hero/villain.

Ubisoft seems to struggle with this concept. Assassin's Creed protagonists, despite being in a game series based around the idea of blending into a crowd, also wear robes and gear that make them stick out like a sore thumb. Seriously they might as well be running around dressed as Batman

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Mid-Atlantic and I usually only wear a light jacket when it hits 50 degrees, but I'm also weird and usually dress much lighter than most people around me.

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
I use this website all the time, here's average weather stats for September in Chicago. Weather graphs fascinate me.

Edit: If you've got temperatures that have that big a change, plus an average of about 10mph winds daily, a smart dresser would probably wear layers. Though Aiden never seems to modify the number of layers to suit the weather, and as someone who lived in various upper-Midwest spots, that many layers is a bit much for 50-60. That's like, light jacket weather, not three layers weather.

gregory fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 11, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Augus posted:

Ubisoft seems to struggle with this concept. Assassin's Creed protagonists, despite being in a game series based around the idea of blending into a crowd, also wear robes and gear that make them stick out like a sore thumb. Seriously they might as well be running around dressed as Batman

Which is an example of good game design. Your protagonist should stand out because you need to see where you are within the crowd. The armor can get a bit ostentatious, sure, but then you'd all be shouting about bland progression.
Come on you guys, it's a dumb sweater and trenchcoat. Barring character-chosen recoloures it's not particularly weird. His logo isn't even all that visible and can be mistaken for seams.
And even if you did see Aiden's coat on other NPCs, I somehow doubt this would stop these sort of complaints.

Calaveron posted:

My favorite part is that Ubi Soft tried to push Aiden's outfit so hard as this iconic, well designed thing but it was so absurd they couldn't help but fail.

I agree with the "iconic" thing though. It's Ubisoft trying too hard to market the character at all costs.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

"It was pretty easy, we were checking all the cameras when we saw somebody that was blurred out on 5th Street and went to take a look."

Aiden's not the only person to use blur camo.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
Let's Play: overthinking everything since 2007.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Today, I learned that this game cost 68 million dollars. Yup.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
And I'm sure almost all of it was on Marketing. Shame that the page doesn't list out that value there.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
And also most of the profits did not go to the developers themselves.

Also Shenmue 1 + 2, Final Fantasy VII, and Pokémon Red/Blue had higher costs of development that Watch Dogs. :stare:

E: Ha! Star Citizen costs $82 million dollars.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LateToTheParty posted:

Also Shenmue 1 + 2, Final Fantasy VII, and Pokémon Red/Blue had higher costs of development that Watch Dogs. :stare:

I have to imagine that a lot of that figure on Pokemon was post-release merchandising. I can't imagine the game itself cost very much to develop.

I am surprised by FFVII's budget. It does... not show.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I highly doubt Nintendo has spent 68 million on any single game, let alone an experimental GB game that exceeded any sales hopes they had by a factor of thousands.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Cleretic posted:

I have to imagine that a lot of that figure on Pokemon was post-release merchandising. I can't imagine the game itself cost very much to develop.

I am surprised by FFVII's budget. It does... not show.

It was probably the cost of setting up all the stuff to make the CG since FF9 apparently cost $5m less to produce.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Mr. Highway posted:

Tidus has the absolute worst outfit in both style and function. Seriously, he plays a sport centered around swimming and he is wearing overalls.

Wakka's overalls close up around his ankles.

All you people wearing light sweaters in 50 degree weather trip me out. I have to wear a pretty thick hoodie in low 60s. The Hawaiian sun spoils me :v:

Mjolna
Oct 2, 2014

Magnetic North posted:

Today, I learned that this game cost 68 million dollars. Yup.

This least featuring Marketing costs makes it super clumsy. Like, no way FF7 had a 100m marketing budget when it was new poo poo. But if we combine total marketing of it, Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, that movie, suddenly we start getting around there. It is fairly recent that marketing costs have been that high in gaming.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Mr Confetti posted:

Wakka's overalls close up around his ankles.

All you people wearing light sweaters in 50 degree weather trip me out. I have to wear a pretty thick hoodie in low 60s. The Hawaiian sun spoils me :v:

I grew up in a redwood forest and after living in LA for 10 years I am constantly ashamed when I visit home and am shivering like a baby when other people are out in shorts. Adaptation's a bitch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Which is an example of good game design. Your protagonist should stand out because you need to see where you are within the crowd. The armor can get a bit ostentatious, sure, but then you'd all be shouting about bland progression.
Come on you guys, it's a dumb sweater and trenchcoat. Barring character-chosen recoloures it's not particularly weird. His logo isn't even all that visible and can be mistaken for seams.
And even if you did see Aiden's coat on other NPCs, I somehow doubt this would stop these sort of complaints.

They should stand out but still fit in. Let's compare to Wei Shen.

Admittedly, Hong Kong's favorite legbreaker has a lot more variety in his available costumes than Aiden, but that highlights something important. You can look distinct without wearing something stupid. Wei wears... well, sometimes he wears boxer shorts and a pig mask, but most of the available outfits are just things everyone else in the world can wear, and you can still see him in a crowd. No iconic cap needed.

Or let's compare to another protagonist with an overpriced coat. Adam "I didn't ask for this" Jensen. He has a flowery trenchcoat, and people don't complain about it. Why? Because it fits with the general aesthetic of the world. No-one else wears one like it, sure, but they wear things close enough that you can see how it fits in with everyone else. You can see someone else walking into a store and seeing it on display without raising an eyebrow.

Aiden? Aiden stands out in the bad way. He's dressed like a videogame protagonist where everyone else just wears clothing. It's another sign of the game's weird issue where it's trying to be the GRITTY CYBERPUNK FUTURE while being set in the recent past.

I mean, Gibson pulls it off in Pattern Recognition, but he's William Gibson, and this game's writers... really, really aren't.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If they were, they wouldn't be writing video games.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Flesnolk posted:

If they were, they wouldn't be writing video games.

There are some masterful writers working in videogames, there are even some at ubisoft- Driver: San Francisco was generally acclaimed for its writing. It's the scale and structure of the AAA sandbox game development program at Ubi that makes their games have this particularly acephalous feel.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

chiasaur11 posted:

Or let's compare to another protagonist with an overpriced coat. Adam "I didn't ask for this" Jensen. He has a flowery trenchcoat, and people don't complain about it. Why? Because it fits with the general aesthetic of the world. No-one else wears one like it, sure, but they wear things close enough that you can see how it fits in with everyone else. You can see someone else walking into a store and seeing it on display without raising an eyebrow.

Additionally, they actually split the difference with Jensen. He only wears the coat in the 'hub areas', when you're actually in a major operation he's not wearing it. They don't have to make Jensen's coat casual-tactical-practical because he's only wearing it when he's out walking the streets, he takes it off when he's doing something important. With his coat off he's gone cyberpunk Metal Gear, but he's not hanging out at a club like that, he's doing big-time serious operations that would require that sort of thing. The coat is only one of Jensen's two looks, and they're suited for very different settings.

Aiden's stupid loving outfit, on the other hand, is doing double-duty as both his casual attire and his 'Vigilante' getup. It's trying to be two very different looks at more or less the exact same time, since basically the only difference between the two is 'mask up/mask down'. They failed at making it work at either of those, it's a mess in any context, but it's not just the outfit at fault. It's also the fact that the difference between 'Aiden Pearce' and 'the Vigilante' is forced to be so thin that there basically isn't any. Again, compare to Jensen and there's a clear visual difference between 'Jensen on the streets' and 'Jensen on the job', even if it is just taking off the coat.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Aiden's outfit is weird and dumb cause it clashes with the way people around him dress. I suspect his design was made by an entirely different team/person than the rest of the game. Why the lead artist or whoever is in charge of the overall aesthetic did not pick up on this is beyond me. Or maybe he/she did and it got veto'ed by someone else, who knows.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

They should stand out but still fit in. Let's compare to Wei Shen.

Admittedly, Hong Kong's favorite legbreaker has a lot more variety in his available costumes than Aiden, but that highlights something important. You can look distinct without wearing something stupid. Wei wears... well, sometimes he wears boxer shorts and a pig mask, but most of the available outfits are just things everyone else in the world can wear, and you can still see him in a crowd. No iconic cap needed.

What are you talking about? Wei Shen almost never takes off that "SHERIFF" cowboy hat.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

I highly doubt Nintendo has spent 68 million on any single game, let alone an experimental GB game that exceeded any sales hopes they had by a factor of thousands.

When it was Red and Green they didn't know how well it would be received, but once they saw how successful it was, they went all out in America with the advertising and the merchandise, bringing over everything they could. It definitely payed off, they more or less had every single child playing at one point or another.

Including me. :v:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

They should have set this game in winter. Not only would Aiden's outfit make a ton more sense, but the setting itself would be a lot more unique. Only wintertime open-world games I can think of off the top of my head are Assassin's Creed III and Skyrim.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Zereth posted:

What are you talking about? Wei Shen almost never takes off that "SHERIFF" cowboy hat.

I'm sorry, I think you mean his Buddhist monk's robes.
"I vowed that I would never take a life again..." *CRUNCH*
"ARRGH, my ARM!"
"But Siddhartha was less specific about crippling people."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ninjahedgehog posted:

They should have set this game in winter. Not only would Aiden's outfit make a ton more sense, but the setting itself would be a lot more unique. Only wintertime open-world games I can think of off the top of my head are Assassin's Creed III and Skyrim.

GTA IV takes place in the fall, dunno if that counts.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
That explosion in episode 3 was perfect. I completely lost it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

There are some masterful writers working in videogames, there are even some at ubisoft- Driver: San Francisco was generally acclaimed for its writing. It's the scale and structure of the AAA sandbox game development program at Ubi that makes their games have this particularly acephalous feel.
The team behind Driver: San Francisco was busy making those godawful (but pretty) pre-rendered cutscenes for The Crew. The not-cutscene talent was left with nothing to do, so they made Grow Home, which was so popular within the company that it became the only PC Ubisoft game on Steam without Uplay in, what, five years? It's gotten good reviews and looks really fun to play.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Great Joe posted:

The team behind Driver: San Francisco was busy making those godawful (but pretty) pre-rendered cutscenes for The Crew. The not-cutscene talent was left with nothing to do, so they made Grow Home, which was so popular within the company that it became the only PC Ubisoft game on Steam without Uplay in, what, five years? It's gotten good reviews and looks really fun to play.

Grow Home is an amazing little game. It's just so amazing that the smaller teams can pump out creative stuff like that, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts & the new Rayman games and then their AAA releases are just homogenous messes that were clearly designed by committee instead of having a tight design process.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Driver: San Francisco also has what just might be the best driving model I've seen in an open world game, so of course it makes sense for Ubisoft not to get those guys to work on The Crew's gameplay or the driving sections of watch_dogges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm sorry, I think you mean his Buddhist monk's robes.
"I vowed that I would never take a life again..." *CRUNCH*
"ARRGH, my ARM!"
"But Siddhartha was less specific about crippling people."

Pretty sure that Wei was dressed like Strong Bad.

• Locked thread