Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jarogue posted:

What major do I take to work at Warioware Inc?

Intelligent Systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Waltzing Along posted:

I say name it like an iPhone.

So this would be the Nintendo 5. Or whatever. The called the 8th iphone the 6.

Or just named it after the console gen: The 9. It very well may be the only console of the ninth generation.

The Mario game box.

why

did you say iphone

instead of playstation

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

noirstronaut posted:

why

did you say iphone

instead of playstation

??? Playstation, ps2, ps3, ps4.

I don't see the problem.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Waltzing Along posted:

??? Playstation, ps2, ps3, ps4.

I don't see the problem.

right

you should've said like a playstation since playstation doesn't have playstation 3s

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I STILL have to explain to people that the Wii U is a separate console than the Wii.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
All console names should be outsourced to Sega

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad I live in Europe where the Genesis was called the Sega Mega Drive

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that makes it sound like a fundraiser

appropriate

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Narcissus1916 posted:

I STILL have to explain to people that the Wii U is a separate console than the Wii.

This worked to my advantage this week when my house was robbed. They just took the gamepad controller, didn't bother with the "black Wii". Apparently this is the only special circumstances where Nintendo Wii send you a new gamepad too.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

majormonotone posted:

Even "Xbox" is kind of a stupid name tbh

I think the story was that "Xbox" was the codename (as in, "Direct X Box") but it made it to the final product because they spent an obscene amount of money testing different names and they were all terrible.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
And yet they still made a product named "Zune"

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Every console should have a new name.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think the story was that "Xbox" was the codename (as in, "Direct X Box") but it made it to the final product because they spent an obscene amount of money testing different names and they were all terrible.

This is way funnier than any of the other explanations I could think of for why it's named the Xbox

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

MTV Crib Death posted:

Splatoon is a game changer, friends. Be ready.

Wow, not only does Splatoon feel like a 90s cartoon, it even has a cartoon theme song. Really looking forward to it, the Testfire hours were a lot of fun.

As for E3 this year, it's going to be interesting to see if Nintendo announces further added content for existing titles in addition to new titles. Their last financial report made it sound like they were focusing on games having long lifespans. I wouldn't mind seeing more cups for Mario Kart 8 on top of whatever their plan is for Smash Bros. characters, not to mention all the stuff planned for Splatoon for the rest of the year.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

why

did you say iphone

instead of playstation

because all iphones are good while the only good playstation was the first one

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MTV Crib Death posted:

Splatoon is a game changer, friends. Be ready.

Well yeah you're on your last life and then you get a game over screen and then switch to a much better game that is not splatoon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

majormonotone posted:

This is way funnier than any of the other explanations I could think of for why it's named the Xbox

I looked it up, these were the other candidates:

-MAX (Microsoft Action Experience)
- AIO (All In One)
- MIND (Microsoft Interactive Network Device)
- FACE (Full Action Center)
- MITH (Microsoft Interactive Theatre)
- XON (Experience Optimised Network)
- MVPC (Microsoft Virtual Play Center)
- TAC (Total Action Center – discs/games could be called TACs)
- MARC (Microsoft Action Reality Center)
- LEX (Live Entertainment Experience)
- M-PAC (Microsoft Play and Action Center)
- RPM (Real Performance Machine)
- MOX (Microsoft Optimal Experience)
- E2 (Extreme Experience)
- MTG (Microsoft Total Gaming)
- VIP (Virtual Interactive Player)
- PTP or P2P (Powered To Play)
- VIC (Virtual Interactive Center – disks/games could be called VICs)
- MARZ (Microsoft Active Reality Zone)
- TSO (Three, Six, Zero)
- EHQ (Entertainment Headquarters)
- O2 (Optimal Ozone or Optical Odyssey)
- MIC (Microsoft Interactive Center)
- R&R (Reality and Revolution)
- MEA (Microsoft Entertainment Activator)
- AMP (Active Microsoft Player)
- VPS (Virtual Play System)
- MAP (Microsoft Action Play)
- MEGA (Microsoft Entertainment & Gaming Attendant or Microsoft Entertainment & Gaming Assembly)
- CPG (CyberPlayGround)
- VERV (Virtual Entertainment & Reality Venture)
- OM (Odyssey of the Mind)
- P2 (PowerPlay)
- IS1 (Interactive System In One)
- MET (Microsoft Entertainment Technology or Microsoft Entertainment Theatre)

CatsPajamas posted:

As for E3 this year, it's going to be interesting to see if Nintendo announces further added content for existing titles in addition to new titles. Their last financial report made it sound like they were focusing on games having long lifespans. I wouldn't mind seeing more cups for Mario Kart 8 on top of whatever their plan is for Smash Bros. characters, not to mention all the stuff planned for Splatoon for the rest of the year.

They said they have unannounced Wii U games set for this fiscal year, I'm sure you'll see them at E3, and I imagine at least one of them will be a holiday game.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Huh, so they were dead set on naming it an acronym and ended up calling it something that means nothing instead.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Where's that "What Amiibo works on what?" infographic?

I won a Sheik Amiibo from a raffle yesterday and I'm wondering if I should bother keeping it.

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility

Sheik doesn't do anything special outside of Smash that any Amiibo can't do.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

"Yo bro let's play Halo on my FACE!"

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Full Action Reality Technology.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Astro7x posted:

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/compatibility

Sheik doesn't do anything special outside of Smash that any Amiibo can't do.

Other than giving high-starred Sheik harps in Hyrule Warriors.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

They called the third Three, Six, Zero the Three, Six, Zero One

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Microsoft considered calling their discs/games "VICs"

imagine all the law and order jokes there could have been

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

mr.capps posted:

Microsoft considered calling their discs/games "VICs"

imagine all the law and order jokes there could have been

Those VICs are gonna be sweet with the new Dogfight engine.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Xbox is an iconic name so who's laughing now

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

Xbox is an iconic name so who's laughing now

I am cause it's a dumb name

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I just love this season, all the people trying to make reasonable guesses and then slide in their impossible wishes or the guys that just make a list of dumb bullshit for no reason other than people being gullible this time of year. :allears: I bet most lists will have New Metroid Game by Retro for the Wii U in them

Jarogue posted:

Don't worry if there is a leak list than the GameXplain guys will get say its fake but have a 40 min video talking about it anyway. Then another 40 min video talking about there wish for E3.

WHAT DID I SAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cj6yQ02I1s&feature=youtu.be&a

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Mercury Crusader posted:

And yet they still made a product named "Zune"

Which is a goddamn amazing piece of failed technology that happened to have a terrible name.
R.I.P. Zune

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

majormonotone posted:

I am cause it's a dumb name

A dumb name which only won by default

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CatsPajamas posted:

Wow, not only does Splatoon feel like a 90s cartoon, it even has a cartoon theme song. Really looking forward to it, the Testfire hours were a lot of fun.

As for E3 this year, it's going to be interesting to see if Nintendo announces further added content for existing titles in addition to new titles.

I would be completely shocked if they didn't. Honestly I'm expecting them to announce A) Smash DLC fighters, I'm betting 3 with one of them being Ryu and one being (ugh) Roy and B) another 2 packs of Mario Kart 8 DLC

It'll never happen at this point, but I'd love it if they added DLC worlds to Mario 3D World

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fly with me posted:

Which is a goddamn amazing piece of failed technology that happened to have a terrible name.
R.I.P. Zune

i got a free zune from bing rewards and it was really awesome but then i sold it for an iphone 1

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

People need to get over Sticker Stars.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

People need to get over Sticker Stars.

Never

noirstronaut posted:

i got a free zune from bing rewards and it was really awesome but then i sold it for an iphone 1

The Zune was one of the better mp3 players ever created, in terms of usability, features, quality, and cost. Of course, its terrible marketing killed it. It's arguably one of the best things Microsoft has made in the past couple decades

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My wife got hit on in a bar by a paid actor who was trying to show off his Zune.

The zone was amazing, but it wasn't cool I guess because Micro$oft droolz Apple roolz.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

greatn posted:

My wife got hit on in a bar by a paid actor who was trying to show off his Zune.

New Thread title please

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

majormonotone posted:

[The Zune was one of the better mp3 players ever created, in terms of usability, features, quality, and cost. Of course, its terrible marketing killed it. It's arguably one of the best things Microsoft has made in the past couple decades
The Zune HD was probably the best dumb PmP ever crafted. And it had the obscenely bad luck of launching right when Apple developed its iPhone/iPod app ecosystem, making it dated and obsolete from the outset.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

FilthyImp posted:

The Zune HD was probably the best dumb PmP ever crafted. And it had the obscenely bad luck of launching right when the iPod developed its app ecosystem, making it dated and obsolete from the outset.

It wasn't even that, really. It was that the iPod touch was out, cheaper, and did more. The Zune HD would've probably lived as a really solid emulator device if it has face buttons and a directional pad put in an ideal location. It would've been "backwards thinking" but its shortlived legacy would've been something to think about.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

The Taint Reaper posted:

New Thread title please

GOOD TRY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Zune app was even worse than itunes. Well, it was. Not sure if anything is worse than itunes now.

• Locked thread