Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Had no idea that's what that "Prima Nocta" line was all about, that's a bit :stare: even for Tony Stark. But why even have him say that? Is Tony Stark the kind of guy to have knowledge about old medieval customs enough to make a joke like that?

Overall the writing was really kinda bad in Age of Ultron. Ultron himself is pretty much a perfect example of it, we're suppose to be taking this guy seriously as a threat but he's just joking around the entire goddamn time.

He's not a threat because all the heroes are invulnerable. This is my PYF-IIMM. Except for Hawkeye/Black Widow, all heroes do not take damage and can splatter all mooks without effort. Fight scenes have no drama to them! :arghfist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah that too, they kept talking like "hey guys we might now make it out of this alive" and i'm just sitting there in the theater thinking "bitch Thor is getting another movie THIS loving YEAR, nothing is going to happen anybody"

RIP Quicksilver, i have to admit i didn't see that coming on that topic i know they didn't have the rights to make them mutants in this movie but i think the post trailer scene should have been Magneto finding out that one of his kids died because of the Avengers so he gets super loving pissed

Granted i don't know how "fatherly" Magneto is and if he'd actually do that but it'd make for a cool loving cross over :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Yeah that too, they kept talking like "hey guys we might now make it out of this alive" and i'm just sitting there in the theater thinking "bitch Thor is getting another movie THIS loving YEAR, nothing is going to happen anybody"

RIP Quicksilver, i have to admit i didn't see that coming on that topic i know they didn't have the rights to make them mutants in this movie but i think the post trailer scene should have been Magneto finding out that one of his kids died because of the Avengers so he gets super loving pissed

Granted i don't know how "fatherly" Magneto is and if he'd actually do that but it'd make for a cool loving cross over :(

I dunno they brought Coulson back so I have trouble believing that he will be dead forever. Who knows though maybe he will be.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I mean the right thing to do would be "Stay tuned for Iron Man 5 after Avengers 3" and as soon as Avengers 3 opens up, Stark dies in combat and Marvel does a huge "PSYCH! NO MORE IRON MANS HE'S DEAD YOU NERDS" and pulls all the Iron Man 5 stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

When Stark activates FRIDAY, another name in the list is JOCASTA. It sparks my autism but considering Hank Pym didn't create Ultron in this universe, it is acceptable.

You hear that, Marvel? SA forums superstar Inzombiac has approved of your writing... for now.

Ms. Marvel getting her own movie should be pretty huge as is brings in the Kree and Captain Marvel has an excuse to show up (outside of his pod). There will be a group of assholes who will scream their throats raw that it's a blond white woman and not the current Arab girl whoa hasn't had a completed run yet.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
To be fair, Kamala's pretty popular with a ton of people who aren't the normal comic reading audience so it would have been pretty awesome if they used her. It makes sense they didn't though since not only as you said has she been Ms. Marvel for a very short amount of time I'm also almost positive she doesn't have any concrete villains at this point and her series is pretty comedic in tone as well and I feel like they don't want to have too many of those types of films besides Ant-Man and GOTG

Honestly, I thought witty, one-liner Ultron was pretty effective. Sure him being a cold being would be creepy, but him being so human-like makes his decision to end all human life due to what he sees as simple logic more disturbing. He was also a million times better than Loki since all he did in the first film was try to act tough but get embarrassed every single time

Alouicious posted:

are you referring to Miles Morales, the very popular Ultimate Spiderman?

He's so popular that he';s getting brought into the mainline Marvel Universe after the huge Secret Wars event that basically destroys the Ultimate Universe. Pretty sure he's one of the only remnants from that line they're keeping.

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 02:24 on May 11, 2015

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Len posted:

I dunno they brought Coulson back so I have trouble believing that he will be dead forever. Who knows though maybe he will be.

Coulson is still dead in the movie universe. Yes he's alive in the Agents of Shield universe. Yes these are the same universe. No this doesn't make any sense.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Coulson isn't literally dead in one and alive in the other. It's more like as far as writing the movies goes, he's dead as far as they're concerned because his resurrection is so convoluted it isn't worth explaining.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Do we have to spoiler this really? He's dead in the movies because they don't loving know. Fury used his death as a way to get them to work together better, telling him "haha yea i secretly brought him back" would gently caress that up and make them distrust him even more.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Krinkle posted:

The punisher was black? I can't find this anywhere.

For a while Punisher ' s main villain was Jigsaw, who had a hosed up face after the punisher threw him through a window (or into a glass crusher depending on continuity) At some point Jigsaw gets his revenge on punisher by cutting up his face too. Punisher goes to a doctor and gets a miracle cure with the side effect of making him black for a few issues until it wears off.

At some point Jigsaw gets a similar procedure done and the punisher immediately pushes him face first into a cactus.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Ms. Marvel getting her own movie should be pretty huge as is brings in the Kree and Captain Marvel has an excuse to show up (outside of his pod). There will be a group of assholes who will scream their throats raw that it's a blond white woman and not the current Arab girl whoa hasn't had a completed run yet.

those assholes, wanting to see a fun and interesting character

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The movie is called Captain Marvel and it's about Captain Marvel the Avenger, not Ms. Marvel who is the illustrated Tumblr feed.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

Ms. Marvel who is the illustrated Tumblr feed.

What does this mean?

SomeIdiot
Apr 2, 2014

Alouicious posted:

those assholes, wanting to see a fun and interesting character

To be fair, a decent chunk of her character is dependant on there already having been a Captain/Ms. Marvel. Y'know, since her whole thing is being a dweeby fangirl and all that?

Honestly tho, these days, Marvel's kinda great since they just kinda don't give a poo poo about any racist/sexist jackasses that like to bitch about diversity in comics.

SomeIdiot has a new favorite as of 03:22 on May 11, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

OldTennisCourt posted:

What does this mean?

Not enough buff straight white dudes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

What does this mean?

She's literally a Tumblr user in the comic book and frequently references things from that site.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Age of Ultron:

When Quicksilver dies the bullets that came out of that gun should have exploded him like a balloon full of red paint. Instead he's got like three tiny holes in his chest.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poldarn posted:

Age of Ultron:

When Quicksilver dies the bullets that came out of that gun should have exploded him like a balloon full of red paint. Instead he's got like three tiny holes in his chest.

Well, you see he was using his powers and the bullets slowed down when they entered him due to silver streak relativity and unspecified powers Really, though we know practically nothing about how his powers work in this continuity.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just want a secret wars movie

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
I want a scene where Spider-Man teaches the Beyonder to poop

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

GIRL BRAINS posted:

I want to poop

TMI bro TMI!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Had no idea that's what that "Prima Nocta" line was all about, that's a bit :stare: even for Tony Stark. But why even have him say that? Is Tony Stark the kind of guy to have knowledge about old medieval customs enough to make a joke like that?

Anyone who has seen Braveheart and paid attention knows what prima nocte is, because it's what sets William Wallace off on his anglocidal ways.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I can not loving believe that the prima nocta crack is so controversial. It's clearly sarcastic and tongue in cheek by a guy who is known for making such statements.

gently caress, does the internet need to be told in big flashing letters "This man does not actually want to bone new wives in his kingdom" so we can make sure no one is uncomfortable with anything ever?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pook Good Mook posted:

I can not loving believe that the prima nocta crack is so controversial. It's clearly sarcastic and tongue in cheek by a guy who is known for making such statements.

gently caress, does the internet need to be told in big flashing letters "This man does not actually want to bone new wives in his kingdom" so we can make sure no one is uncomfortable with anything ever?

Yeah I just saw it and loving lol.

Goons.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pook Good Mook posted:

Poe's law is real, man.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Krinkle posted:

The punisher was black? I can't find this anywhere.

It was called, "Man On Fire" and Denzel did an incredible job.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Light Gun Man posted:

Do we have to spoiler this really? He's dead in the movies because they don't loving know. Fury used his death as a way to get them to work together better, telling him "haha yea i secretly brought him back" would gently caress that up and make them distrust him even more.
I recently saw a clip of that scene where Fury throws the bloody Captain America cards on the table to show Cap and Stark saying, "These were on him when he died, way to go you immature shits." Later Hill calls him out on it, pointing out that they were in his locker at the time. What the hell did Fury do, go to Coulson's locker, pull them out and swipe them over a gaping wound on his most prized agent? poo poo's hosed up, Fury.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

kinmik posted:

I recently saw a clip of that scene where Fury throws the bloody Captain America cards on the table to show Cap and Stark saying, "These were on him when he died, way to go you immature shits." Later Hill calls him out on it, pointing out that they were in his locker at the time. What the hell did Fury do, go to Coulson's locker, pull them out and swipe them over a gaping wound on his most prized agent? poo poo's hosed up, Fury.

See I like that kind of stuff, it actually manages to make a character in a superhero movie complex. What drives me crazy is the screenwriters buy back his character traits by making him look like a great guy later. They spend whole movies alternating between Fury being an rear end in a top hat and then a nice guy who everyone loves again.

Commit to the ballsy choice Marvel.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Fury is great, because he's essentially Pat Riley trying to get all his loving diva players to work as a team

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

See I like that kind of stuff, it actually manages to make a character in a superhero movie complex. What drives me crazy is the screenwriters buy back his character traits by making him look like a great guy later. They spend whole movies alternating between Fury being an rear end in a top hat and then a nice guy who everyone loves again.

Commit to the ballsy choice Marvel.

Nah that's pretty consistent with Nick Fury in the comics. He oscillated between "great guy" and "what the gently caress is wrong with this dude? on a goddamn weekly basis for half a century.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

kinmik posted:

Yeah, he probably did exactly that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Inzombiac posted:

When Stark activates FRIDAY, another name in the list is JOCASTA. It sparks my autism but considering Hank Pym didn't create Ultron in this universe, it is acceptable.

You hear that, Marvel? SA forums superstar Inzombiac has approved of your writing... for now.

You do know the Kree were in Guardians of the Galaxy and Agents of Shield already right?

One irrational irritation I have with the MCU is why Sif wouldn't have mentioned to Thor that Coulson's alive - she's met him like 3 times now since his death, and in one case it was because he was critically important to stopping an escaped Asgardian war criminal or whatever...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

You do know the Kree were in Guardians of the Galaxy and Agents of Shield already right?

One irrational irritation I have with the MCU is why Sif wouldn't have mentioned to Thor that Coulson's alive - she's met him like 3 times now since his death, and in one case it was because he was critically important to stopping an escaped Asgardian war criminal or whatever...

He asked her not to.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And given how Thor has been ducking Sif to fool around with Natalie Portman I can believe she'd keep it a secret to spite him. Girl must be pent-up like a geyser.

Although that's my irrationally irritating moment-- how the gently caress have they dragged out a love triangle between those three over two movies? More to the point how is there even a competition? The obvious answer is Loki Sif.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Pook Good Mook posted:

The same people who were upset with the "He's adopted" line are the same people upset by the Prima Notca line. Although I'd say those people are probably a slightly better read crowd...

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The same people who were upset with the "He's adopted" line are the same people upset by the Prima Notca line. Although I'd say those people are probably a slightly better read crowd...

It's funny too. I'm adopted and I totally get why the whole "he's adopted" line would offend sensitive people, but the line actually makes sense as it underscores why Loki is so pissed off at Thor-- Thor is immediately willing to sell Loki out as some monster and not even realize what an rear end he sounds like doing it.

Reminds me of this fucknugget some local news affiliate gave airtime to on a slow day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdOOBoCAlgs

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah, he probably did exactly that.

Nick Fury drinks whiskey and fucks whores while on the job. A bit of minor deceit is hardly worth mentioning.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

mind the walrus posted:

Anyone who has ever played the game of adding more female and minority representation to popular media realizes it's "damned if you do, damned if you don't" really early on.

Given all the lady Avengers I know of people really would have been bitching even for a note-perfect She-Hulk or Carol Danvers because they're tomboys or get off on showing skin or something. Not that I don't see where the bitching is coming from with Black Widow but honestly she's treated pretty drat equally all things considered, including clumsy writing and tight outfits.

The real problem people have is that she's by and large been the only real lady hero in these movies and as such is being held as a stand-in for an entire gender. If these flicks somehow had room for Wasp, Scarlet Witch, She-Hulk, Carol Danvers, and Tigra and they all had their own arcs that weren't all related to romance/sex/children people wouldn't be bitching anywhere near as much about Widow outside of her dedicated fans.

Yeah this is definitely the case. Uh, Scarlet Witch was in the movie, though. But god drat I wish Janet Van-Dyne was in Avengers also :smith:

It makes me super happy we're getting an Ant-Man movie, he needs to be in the Avengers. But It makes me sad its not Hank Pym so we're probably not ever getting The Wasp.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Overall the writing was really kinda bad in Age of Ultron. Ultron himself is pretty much a perfect example of it, we're suppose to be taking this guy seriously as a threat but he's just joking around the entire goddamn time.

Yeah, James Spader actually delivered all his lines with his usual gravitas really well, but the lines themselves were total poo poo. Its like listening to Dinklage in Destiny; you know he can do more but he's just not being given ANYTHING he can work with. So blah blah blah.

Evilreaver posted:

He's not a threat because all the heroes are invulnerable. This is my PYF-IIMM. Except for Hawkeye/Black Widow, all heroes do not take damage and can splatter all mooks without effort. Fight scenes have no drama to them! :arghfist:

Ultimately I didn't have a bad time at Avengers 2 but this kinda killed the film for me.

Its just an army of metal zombies for the avengers to punch at. No threat whatsoever except for the main Ultron guy I guess, but even his own plans to make a flesh uberbody ends up just creating a super-god that stops him... wah wah. Why are any of Ultron's clones any weaker than he is? I get that there's only so much of the wakandan' unobtanium or whatever, but his general forces should all be just as smart and strong as his main non-unobtainum'd self, but they're not. They're total mooks who exist just to die at the hands of the avengers. So there's zero tension.

These movies are all about the villains, and the Marvel ones of late have had REALLY lovely villains. Iron man 2 and 3 didn't do it for me, this didn't, Thor 2 didn't, all because of super weak villains with little character.

Avengers 1 worked so well primarily because Loki was such an interesting villain who played really well off the team. They tried to do that with Ultron but it just wasn't the same remotely. Good news is that Thanos should be all the villain we ever need. :getin:

Oh, P.S. cinematography was dildos. Nothing but close-up shots. It worked a handful of times, but it ruined all the action more often than not. I am so sick of Hollywood directors putting a tiny frame around an action shot where you can't even tell what's happening. Zoom the gently caress out. And use less cuts. Movie had waaay too many edits.

I need to go watch Birdman again to cleanse my eyes. Alejandro Inarritu needs to hold directing lessons or something. Did you goons all see Birdman? Everybody should go study Birdman and make more movies like that.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 21:18 on May 11, 2015

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zaphod42 posted:

It makes me super happy we're getting an Ant-Man movie, he needs to be in the Avengers. But It makes me sad its not Hank Pym so we're probably not ever getting The Wasp.

Hank Pym is in the movie (played by Michael Douglas) they're just jumping the character to Scott Lang really quickly. So theres still hope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

pr0zac posted:

Hank Pym is in the movie (played by Michael Douglas) they're just jumping the character to Scott Lang really quickly. So theres still hope!

But since Douglas' Pym will be an old guy who isn't wearing the suit, we won't have the Pym-VanDyne dynamic. She's Pym's partner, not Scott Lang's.

Although I don't know much about Scott Lang in general and a quick wiki says he worked with The Wasp a few times. Still, not the same.

Unless they bring in Michael Douglas as a superhero later :swoon: