Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yeah tech journalism is pretty worthless, it's like a carousel of bullshit "breakthroughs" that are always five years away from changing the world. I'm just glad people stopped fabricating stories about the singularity, that was the biggest load of horseshit I've ever read. I think they've moved on to 3D printers changing everything or warp drives or whatever other fake bullshit gets the most clicks this year.

3D printing isn't really fake bullshit, it's just not the mass production messiah. There was a story, I think about the new Ford GT, about it coming out of nowhere because prototyping the car only took only a few months to a year vs. several years since they could make test parts on site. Then there's Koeniggsegg 3d printing their turbos, and then that 3d printer chef thing.

davebo posted:

I thought Corvette drivers just had the reputation of being super old guys who drive under the speed limit, not douches. I was driving home a few days ago and one pulled up next to mine at a light, same generation, same color/wheels, and I looked over at the guy and gave him a wave. Kindly looking old white guy with a short beard. The whole thing felt like I was looking into an old mirror. Between the two of us I was probably the douche.

I autox a corvette and I've witnessed the corvette culture first hand quite extensively, a gorillas in the mist moment as it were. Corvette owners can be classified into two big groups really, those who race them and those who don't. People who race their corvettes appreciate that it's just a car; it's cheap, it's fast. They're good, but not without their faults. While competitive, they are helpful and very approachable. Then there are the people who don't race their cars.

The image everyone has in their mind for this group is the old man with the mint cherry red C5 convertible. I found them somewhat frequently at autox events, or parked infront of places like starbucks. His wife is blonde and his kids have moved out so he can get back into a "real car" instead of the family minivan he had to have for so many years. It's a weekend car that sits in the garage, the odo doesn't have more than 10k on it and the rattling hasn't started. He doesn't drive it that fast, it's a cruiser, it's a good time car, plus he knows all eyes are on him. But get an open road and he'll open her up a bit and pin you back against the seat. It's a vette, of course he can't open her up anywhere or drive 90 on the highway. The cops are staring at it. It looks fast parked, you know. He may not know everything about cars but he likes cars, and likes talking about them. He'll let you sit in his vette and take you for a ride if you ask. He's a nice guy. Then there are the young vette owners.

The mentality of this group can be summed up by my frequent interaction whenever I park the Z06. A young man will look at the car and the first question about it is "How much pussy do you get with this thing?" Their heart deflates when I inform them, none. 95% of girls don't give a gently caress about corvettes, and the 5% that do think it's a Ferrari. Girls love convertibles. That's why girls are always in the cherry red drop top with the geriatric. But it looks fierce, a black Z06 with black wheels. It's murdered out. It's going to murder any car on the highway. Bro are you looking at my vette? I'll loving kill you and your poo poo stang from a roll. We're on a main street somewhere and you have an fast car it's time to go. I'm holding 2000rpm for the perfect launch for 20 seconds waiting for that green to hit. Dude don't touch my car do you know how much that thing costs? Yea I have linglongs on my 20" hot chrome rims. I'm gonna slow roll by the high school one hand on the top of the wheel so you all see me.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There was an episode of To Catch A Predator where it was some 35 year old schoolteacher coming to the house to meet a 12 year old girl and the camera spent a long time on the red C5 he was driving.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My cousin's husband is in his 50's and has a red corvette in his garage on a lift. At least, I think it's red. It's under a cover and I've never seen him drive it once.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

One of my parents' neighbours is a stereotypical middle age Italian guy and he has a C5 that he only drives in the summer. And by drive I mean on Saturdays he does burn outs at every stop sign in the neighbourhood and drives up and down the streets doing 50 mph. After about 20 minutes of that he puts it back into his garage for the next weekend.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
This is exactly why, no matter how much money I make, I will never buy a z06. The image that comes with the Corvette just kinda ruins the joy of the car. My current "I have too much money" dream car is a GT-R, plus an FD that just lives in the garage.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
My dad drives a metallic red C5 vert when it's nice out. He puts a good amount of miles on it but is a paint/detailing dweeb so he never drives it when it rains (although he does drive with spirit). He doesn't really know anything about cars but fetishizes Corvettes - better than Mustangs, I suppose. Previous cars were GMT700, Ford Aerostar, Ford Club Wagon, Chevy Caprice or Citation (nobody remembers which), VW Camper bus - I'm glad he's finally getting some fun. He bought it when his mom died a few years ago - she was a spitfire but never let herself have fun; I think he realized life is too short and after 60+ years of responsibility he was ready to indulge himself on a sub 20k sports car.

I don't like the image of the Corvette either but could see myself getting a C7 down the road. If there was a great deal on a C6 I'd consider it; I've never driven one, though - if the shifter feel is as terrible as the C5's, maybe not.

blk fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 10, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This is exactly why, no matter how much money I make, I will never buy a z06. The image that comes with the Corvette just kinda ruins the joy of the car. My current "I have too much money" dream car is a GT-R, plus an FD that just lives in the garage.

Is the GT-R image really any better?

I guess this depends on where in the world you are but here most FD RX7s were bought and ruined by dropkicks by the end of the 00s (which is a shame as they're still the best looking thing to have come out of Japan)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The only current Corvette owner I know owns an automatic yellow convertible, I think a 2002 (Unless he's since bought a newer one), and has the Corvette logo tattooed across his back. His only tattoo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

Is the GT-R image really any better?

I guess this depends on where in the world you are but here most FD RX7s were bought and ruined by dropkicks by the end of the 00s (which is a shame as they're still the best looking thing to have come out of Japan)

Yeah the image for pretty much every fast or fast-looking car is honestly pretty bad. You just have to roll with it.

And honestly most of the supercars really aren't much better when you're talking in the culture of people who can afford supercars

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 10, 2015

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

And honestly most of the supercars really aren't much better when you're talking in the culture of people who can afford supercars

I have no clue what you're on about...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

fknlo posted:

I have no clue what you're on about...

Me irl.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I know personally two people with GT-Rs. Both are complete bro douches. The other one I see on a regular basis is driven by a lady who is probably 90 and it's only ever spotted doing 10-20 under the limit. Even on 35mph roads.

I'd rather deal with weird but generally well intentioned old dudes.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

The only Corvette owners I've seen have looked like Guy Fieri but 20 years older.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iwentdoodie posted:

I know personally two people with GT-Rs. Both are complete bro douches. The other one I see on a regular basis is driven by a lady who is probably 90 and it's only ever spotted doing 10-20 under the limit. Even on 35mph roads.

I'd rather deal with weird but generally well intentioned old dudes.

The difference for me is that everyone can identify a corvette and immediately assume you're having a midlife crisis. Most people around here wouldn't know what the gt-r even is, so I'm free to enjoy my fancy go fast car without the dirty looks.
And I know most of the American FDs have been ruined. That's why it's a "suddenly making more money than god" project. I'd have to hunt down a pristine one or pay somebody to restore one.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Back when I dated no girl liked the Corvette because it's too low so it was hard to get in and out of. Also at my 10 year high school reunion an old friend told people I had a Ferrari because he moved to NYC and never got a drivers license so any coupe is a Ferrari. Cue a bunch of people asking me about my Ferrari and having to explain no, I just bought a used Corvette off ebay. Jokes on you for thinking I was a success in life!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Sometimes having that Ferrari means failure not success.

I think for me it's all about sleepers. Get something like a Hellcat or CTS-V and correct any shortcomings with aftermarket mods and Bob's your uncle.

My friend has the fastest G8 in Canada. He routinely embarasses far more expensive cars. It's gotten to a point where he's frustrated there's no one who can challenge him.

That said other than my love for the CTS-V I think I'll definitely troll my GM / MOPAR fanboy friends with the GT350. I think I'd even get some kinda clever plate to dis camaros with.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kraftwerk posted:

Sometimes having that Ferrari means failure not success.

I think for me it's all about sleepers. Get something like a Hellcat or CTS-V and correct any shortcomings with aftermarket mods and Bob's your uncle.

My friend has the fastest G8 in Canada. He routinely embarasses far more expensive cars. It's gotten to a point where he's frustrated there's no one who can challenge him.

That said other than my love for the CTS-V I think I'll definitely troll my GM / MOPAR fanboy friends with the GT350. I think I'd even get some kinda clever plate to dis camaros with.

There's a guy near where I work with a totally de-badged, white, AMG E63 Wagon. It jiggles my important bits in all the right ways.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Back when I dated no girl liked the Corvette because it's too low so it was hard to get in and out of. Also at my 10 year high school reunion an old friend told people I had a Ferrari because he moved to NYC and never got a drivers license so any coupe is a Ferrari. Cue a bunch of people asking me about my Ferrari and having to explain no, I just bought a used Corvette off ebay. Jokes on you for thinking I was a success in life!

The low entry/exit is also why older dudes get the Corvette convertibles as well and avoid Vipers since they are even harder to get in/out of (and obviously way more $$$).

I also swear there are folks on Rennlist that go for 911 cabrio's just so they can put the top down and actually put things in the rear bench (like golf clubs) or make Home Depot runs.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

TKIY posted:

I just convinced myself that I don't need a midlife crisis mobile and ordered a mid sized sedan from a respectable-but-not-flashy import brand.

Now I need to check the cancellation language on my contract...

Alternately, you could just always buy cars that you might be accused of having a mid life crisis for buying and no one will ever quite be sure. :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Mr. Apollo posted:

One of my parents' neighbours is a stereotypical middle age Italian guy and he has a C5 that he only drives in the summer. And by drive I mean on Saturdays he does burn outs at every stop sign in the neighbourhood and drives up and down the streets doing 50 mph. After about 20 minutes of that he puts it back into his garage for the next weekend.

Sounds like a pretty cool guy.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Bro Chat:
Listen Brahs, u can call me a douche for drivin <car model name here>, but really ur just a hater bruh and u hate me for WINNING (just like charlie sheen lol bro)

Serious Chat: Many of the great cars we love and own or would like to own wouldn't exist without these bros/brahs/bruhs that also buy them. Anyone can buy a car with a 'douche rep' and instantly be a nice guy by practicing general good driving etiquette like letting people merge, waiving when you merge, etc. Though, I can understand the frustration of wanting to have a sense of camaraderie with fellow owners only to find many might be the type to drive through a puddle fast to splash someone walking along the road.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Mat_Drinks posted:

Bro Chat:
Listen Brahs, u can call me a douche for drivin <car model name here>, but really ur just a hater bruh and u hate me for WINNING (just like charlie sheen lol bro)

Serious Chat: Many of the great cars we love and own or would like to own wouldn't exist without these bros/brahs/bruhs that also buy them. Anyone can buy a car with a 'douche rep' and instantly be a nice guy by practicing general good driving etiquette like letting people merge, waiving when you merge, etc. Though, I can understand the frustration of wanting to have a sense of camaraderie with fellow owners only to find many might be the type to drive through a puddle fast to splash someone walking along the road.

The Miata has been interesting in this regard because the ownerbase is so varied. There are a lot of hellaflush dorks out there ruining NAs, retirees who like stick on chrome, greybeard British sports car guys who have too much arthiritis to bother with the Triumph anymore, old ladies who want something cute and drive with the top up all time because it would ruin their hair, etc. Despite them being the popular stereotype, I have yet to meet any chicks or homosexuals.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

The Miata has been interesting in this regard because the ownerbase is so varied. There are a lot of hellaflush dorks out there ruining NAs, retirees who like stick on chrome, greybeard British sports car guys who have too much arthiritis to bother with the Triumph anymore, old ladies who want something cute and drive with the top up all time because it would ruin their hair, etc. Despite them being the popular stereotype, I have yet to meet any chicks or homosexuals.

I made a flow chart to help out(i am not good at flow charts)

Now, before anybody get's offended, just let me say this.

I'm not saying the homosexual can't be a hair dresser, it's just that not all of them are.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Flowchart is spot on imho

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/11/2016-ford-mustang-gets-new-packages-trim-and-hood-vent-turn-sig/

Sync 3 confirmed. CS confirmed. An EB pony package confirmed.
Also those dumbass turn signals in the hood are going to be standard on GTs. :(

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

I'm not saying the homosexual can't be a hair dresser, it's just that not all of them are.

I like this, can you do some for other cars?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ilkhan posted:

Also those dumbass turn signals in the hood are going to be standard on GTs. :(

Throwback time! Those hood turn signals used to be really common. I remember them on my parents cars from the 60's, and my cars from the early 70's. Almost everything had those for a while.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Powershift posted:

There is a really hot chick who delivers pizza with one downtown. I want her number.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Preoptopus posted:

There is a really hot chick who delivers pizza with one downtown. I want her number.

Phone the pizza place. ;)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And order a sausage pizza.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

you mean clam chowder right?

you dont want to get a sausage pizza delivered.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh sorry I saw he said "miata" and jumped the gun :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Superior German Engineering

Cliff notes:

The N63 twin turbo V8 is having all kinds of issues, but the newest one involves changing the batter every single oil change because it eats them.

quote:

Finally, the CCP offers a way to cover up the N63's habit of chewing through batteries: It contains a technical service bulletin to replace them at every oil change. This is where things get confusing. Why not just fix the underlying electrical problem? As it turns out, BMW can't.

The simple solution would be to reprogram the engine computers to keep the battery's state of charge at a higher level. But in modern cars, everything affects something else, often in the most unlikely of ways. Charging the battery more often would affect fuel economy, which would require BMW to recertify the cars with the EPA. The revised mpg numbers would inevitably be lower than the ones advertised. Hello, class-action lawsuit.

So BMW can't actually fix the battery problem, it can only mask it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

Cliff notes:

The N63 twin turbo V8 is having all kinds of issues, but the newest one involves changing the batter every single oil change because it eats them.

There's no way. I just can't believe this. Even for Germans this goes too far.

I bet the used ones will cost $1000 and there'll be a $250 kit on ECS Tuning to convert to a conventional alternator.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

fknlo posted:

Cliff notes:

that must be a thrill to own out of warranty

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Speaking of German engineering, VAG heard you like timing chains.

What are the odds it's going to be as nightmarish as the V8?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Now, i ain't no big city engineer, but that timing chain set-up looks a million times more simple with only 3 individual chains instead of 4, with a gear tensioner instead of plastic guides.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Tekne posted:

Speaking of German engineering, VAG heard you like timing chains.
What are the odds it's going to be as nightmarish as the V8?

Timing chains for your timing chains timing chain.

:getin:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Eating batteries is the new drinks oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The amount of AMGs and M's I see where I live being tootled around by someone who 20 years ago would be in a big cushy Cadillac is rivaled only by the amount of chromed-out G-Wagens that never see even a dirt road.