Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

The Dave posted:

I have a Surface Pro 2 in great shape I'm looking to sell for ~500 shipped with type cover.

Nice of you to offer (cause that touchpad might just work for a skinny 13yo girl) but I'm overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Would it be intelligent to wait for 4th of July sales events to purchase a new laptop?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Spatule posted:

We are buying a laptop (and printer) for our niece, who is turning 13 and needs to turn in assignments or do research on wikipedia and whatever. The family has no other computer, only phones and Android tablets.

What do kids that age need / want ? She has a 7" tablet alreay so I'm not sure a convertible / touchscreen is necessary, but other than that I'm at a loss... My wife was thinking something pink like everything else the kid owns, but I think that in 3 years she might still be using the laptop and will have outgrown the pink phase.
No need for gaming either I guess, the various consoles in the house cover that.

Budget is 500-750$ for the laptop. Samsung laptops are not available here, everything else is.

Asus UX305 is the new Core M device from them. Should have plenty of ummmph to do school work. 13.3 1080p, 256 gb SSD and 8 GB of RAM should be more than overkill. Looks like it runs around $700.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Psyker posted:

Would it be intelligent to wait for 4th of July sales events to purchase a new laptop?

Would you not get $50 worth of use out of it in two months? Generally they only steeply discount the garbage models with lots of built in margin.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Hadlock posted:

Would you not get $50 worth of use out of it in two months? Generally they only steeply discount the garbage models with lots of built in margin.

Oh, no, none at all. Resuming my education in the Fall and I don't really need a laptop until mid-August. Really looking for XPS13 deals (aside from scouring refurbs), potential Surface Pro 3 deals (If SP4 is announced), or Spectre x360 deals.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I'm looking for a good laptop to take to work. I work as a night auditor at a motel, and I've got about 4 or 5 hours of free time a night, so I'd like something to play some games on. I've been looking at a few laptops and I'm leaning towards a GE60 2QE Apache Pro with a GTX 960M. Here in Canada it seems like there's about a $400 difference between the cheapest laptops I could find with a 960M and a 970M. Would the performance difference between the two be worth $400? It seems a little steep to me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's your price range and have you considered a Y50 with the 960M

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Hadlock posted:

What's your price range and have you considered a Y50 with the 960M

The Y50 with a 960M isn't available in Canada. I'd like to pay around 1000-1300. It seems that's about the cheapest you can expect for a 960M here in Canada.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This guy ships free to Canada and is $50 cheaper (new in box) than the US lenovo retail website

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lenovo-...3e1ec7#shpCntId

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Hadlock posted:

This guy ships free to Canada and is $50 cheaper (new in box) than the US lenovo retail website

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Lenovo-...3e1ec7#shpCntId

Thanks, but the GE60 is on for $1189 Canadian. That laptop would come out to $1649 with the currency conversion. That's a little more than I'm willing to pay.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
a 960M is nowhere near as good as a 965 or 970m though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Thanks, but the GE60 is on for $1189 Canadian. That laptop would come out to $1649 with the currency conversion. That's a little more than I'm willing to pay.

:monocle: Welp, I obviously haven't looked at USD->CAD exchange rates since 2014

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Can anyone double-check this laptop for non-obvious problems?

I've been looking to pick up a basic internet and typing machine for travel, and since my budget is seriously limited, the advice I've gotten was to look at newegg and tigerdirect refurbished laptops. Always risky, but potentially good deals.

You know. Word processing, email, wi-fi, non-intensive gaming. The SSD in particular is an upside.

This one seems pretty decent but I haven't been in the laptop market for like, a decade. Is dell still good?

Thoughts, other refurbished gems I should be looking at instead? Price range is 200-400, and I'm not quite willing to take a gamble on possible-stolen craigslist laptops.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've never had a laptop, but I'll be spending a semester abroad starting September, so I will need one. I study Computer Science, and my needs are pretty much CompSci programs (Coding, possibly VM), and some light gaming. No Project Cars at Ultra Super High Razzle Dazzle, but, say, Final Fantasy XIV for example. A large hard drive is appreciated, but most stuff seems to have at least 750GBs so I don't think that particular bit is hard to find?
A friend recommended me the Asus F554LA-XX595H, which doesn't seem terrible (reviews aren't overwhelmingly positive, I'm reading some complaints about fan noise). Another friend found the Dell Inspiron 3543 471350950, which according to reviews isn't as good as it looks (build quality it seems), and the ASUS F555LD-XX320H, which seems to have better reviews (and an i7 processor, which is never bad). Does anyone have any opinions on them?

My budget is around 600 euros, and I'm very much interested in factory warranties, since I'll be taking it abroad and can't rely on my usual "bring it to the store I got it from". Like I said, I've never had a laptop before, and even looking at the OP I'm still not quite sure. Any recommendations I haven't mentioned, or that I have missed?

Since I'm posting here, my friend with similar needs is looking at the HP EliteBook 8460P and the Lenovo Z50-75 (this one comes with some Razer stuff, but is almost double the price of the HP), are there any opinions on either?

Sorry if this post is bad, I have no idea about laptops and would like some opinions.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 10, 2015

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Is this particular Y50 worth 900 bucks? The 860 is kind of crummy these days, right?

The Dave posted:

I have a Surface Pro 2 in great shape I'm looking to sell for ~500 shipped with type cover.

If you somehow haven't already sold this, shoot me a PM with the particulars.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hey goons, my PC is is starting to cough up blood and I'm looking for a laptop to replace it. A local op shop has a ASUS R501VM with 16gb of ram and an Ivy Bridge i7 in it for $7XX and the card in it is a GeForce GT 630M with 2GB DDR3. Should I go for that or go for a newer model laptop in the 600-700 dollar range? (The Asus is a 2012 ultrabook but someone put a fuckton of RAM in it)

See here: http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/194999/...01VM-S3151V.asp

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Has anyone gotten ahold of one of those new Rockchip powered Chromebooks for $160 $150 yet? No matter how junk it is, a laptop's a laptop's a laptop....especially with 12 hours claimed battery life.

Serperoth posted:

I've never had a laptop, but I'll be spending a semester abroad starting September, so I will need one. I study Computer Science, and my needs are pretty much CompSci programs (Coding, possibly VM), and some light gaming.

Have you considered a refurb T430 or T440 with GPU upgrade

Thinkpad parts are easy to get worldwide and have really good VT-X and VT-D support for VMs (Hyper-V, VMWare, Virtualbox)

What games in particular come to mind when you say "light gaming" and where are you headed?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 11, 2015

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Is this particular Y50 worth 900 bucks? The 860 is kind of crummy these days, right?

The 860 and 960 are basically the same. They're solid mid-range cards that can play current games at full-hd resolution with medium to high detail levels. The 965/970/980 are recommended if you want to max out the details, but then you're looking at $1300USD and up priced laptops. The 970 and 980 also have the advantage of having more video memory and a bigger bus to utilize that memory, which will help keep them viable for a bit longer than the 128-bit cards.

Honestly, if you can see yourself getting a new computer in 3 years or building a dedicated gaming desktop, the 860/960 should be fine.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 11, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hadlock posted:

Has anyone gotten ahold of one of those new Rockchip powered Chromebooks for $160 $150 yet? No matter how junk it is, a laptop's a laptop's a laptop....especially with 12 hours claimed battery life.

There are some reviews online. Here's one for the Haier you linked:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWfiUFEIPnE

I was fortunately given a C720 for free today so I no longer need to buy the ASUS RockChip Chromebook.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

Oh look an amazon referral link.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Hadlock posted:

Have you considered a refurb T430 or T440 with GPU upgrade

Thinkpad parts are easy to get worldwide and have really good VT-X and VT-D support for VMs (Hyper-V, VMWare, Virtualbox)

What games in particular come to mind when you say "light gaming" and where are you headed?

My folks are footing the bill, and they're against used laptops, but I think I could swing for a refurbished model, I'll be looking into that, if I can even find one here in Greece. I'll be going to France, if that changes anything. Not Paris, but still a city, not the middle of nowhere.

As to games, I mentioned Final Fantasy XIV which is about the higher end of what I play, as far as requirements go. Fallout New Vegas would be nice, but other than that I mostly play indie stuff, Crusader Kings 2, and I guess I might find people who play Dota?

I-H
Dec 24, 2009
Thanks for the great OP, gives some confidence in choosing the right one to buy. So far I've narrowed the choices to the (namely) ThinkPad Yoga and ThinkPad T-series. I'm looking for something preferrably under 1500€, 15" (or 14"), touchscreen, dedicated graphics. All these can be found in both the Yoga and T-series, and seeing some reviews that confirm that the build quality is alright as well, I'm pretty convinced about the Yoga S5 (setup draft).

Is there a huge difference between 15" and 14" screens though? Does the weight and possible battery usage reduction outweigh the usability?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I-H posted:

Is there a huge difference between 15" and 14" screens though? Does the weight and possible battery usage reduction outweigh the usability?

Depends on how comfortable you are with small text/UI elements. For me there is no usability advantage whatsoever is going for a 15" screen over a 14" (assuming you get 1080p either way)

As for the laptop you linked what is your planned usage?

If its gaming be aware the 840M isn't really powerful enough for anything modern, if it is for general desktop usage integrated graphics are fine.

I-H
Dec 24, 2009

dissss posted:

Depends on how comfortable you are with small text/UI elements. For me there is no usability advantage whatsoever is going for a 15" screen over a 14" (assuming you get 1080p either way)

As for the laptop you linked what is your planned usage?

If its gaming be aware the 840M isn't really powerful enough for anything modern, if it is for general desktop usage integrated graphics are fine.

I guess the 15" vs 14" boils down to the numeric keypad that the larger has, as well as the small detail that the 15" might be easier to navigate with touch since stuff is larger on the screen (even though I have fairly small fingers).

Planned usage is mostly traveling and possibly browsing/watching stuff on the bed. I play serious games on my desktop but I'll go for the 840M, which probably runs LAN party games fine (GTA:SA for MTA, Killing Floor, CS in addition to the old Warcraft 3 etc). The T-series seems to have way better battery usage, but I suspect everywhere I have heavy use for the laptop I'll also have power.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

My old Acer, after 7ish years of hard work, is finally starting to poo poo the bed.

Looking to buy a new laptop, hopefully not more than 600 euro. I'm willing to go up for a really good one.

Specifications / used for:
  • Most office functions; taking lots of minutes, powerpoint, mail/outlook - I have big ol' fingers so tiny keys are out - Running 4-6 active MS word windows + powerpoint + Opera with ~10 tabs open without a problem.
  • Good quality HD, mainly for downloading stuff on a daily basis (+/- 3GB a week)
  • Lighter is better as it will frequently travel with me
  • For similar reasons, more battery life hours = better
  • 14/15 inch screen (less doesn't work for me, more is to clunky to fit into my office bag) Good quality screen for watching movies on the go.
  • Sturdy build quality
  • I have no real plans for gaming / 3d needed stuff.

Any suggestions - I live in Belgium so any Benelux suppliers are preferred.

Thanks!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I'm looking for a laptop with similar specs to the Lenovo Y50 without the lovely display every review complains about. Any suggestions?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Postman posted:

I'm looking for a laptop with similar specs to the Lenovo Y50 without the lovely display every review complains about. Any suggestions?

If you're in the US, the latest model Y50 comes with an apparently much nicer IPS display. I don't know if there are any reviews of that model yet, though.

If you're not in the US you're stuck with the old version with the lovely screen, though!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Postman posted:

If you're looking at the Y50 you're looking for a bulky, powerful, cheap laptop, in which case you should also look at Clevo / Sager models.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

If you're in the US, the latest model Y50 comes with an apparently much nicer IPS display. I don't know if there are any reviews of that model yet, though.

If you're not in the US you're stuck with the old version with the lovely screen, though!

I am in the U.S. but I was looking at a few refurbished units, and those are going to have the older screen. I've also seen a lot of negative feedback about the build quality (broken hinges, lousy keyboard) for the Y50.

I'm basically willing to trade some of the battery life and a little bit of the performance of the Y50 for a better display and build quality.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Is the Y40 built any better?

I'm looking for a replacement for my wife's older HP Envy 14, which has chewed through multiple display cables and soldiered on after multiple wine spills, but may have finally reached its end. She mainly uses it for games and needs something with a dedicated video card, and while she doesn't need a whole lot more horsepower than she currently has it'd be nice to get something that will last her a while both specs-wise and durability-wise.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sorry for quoting myself, but I tried looking for T430/440 and I can't make heads or tails of stuff. For one, I can't find any refurbished Lenovos with anything better than a Core2Duo. Lenovo's own Greek store is ridiculously expensive (and can't find any T430/440), half the stores don't have half the stuff, and the closest thing I'm finding is the G50-70.

I did find a good deal on a refurbished HP ELITEBOOK 8440P, with an i7 (M620) at 2.67GHz, 8GB of RAM, a Quadro NVS3100M GPU, with its only big flaw that I'm seeing immediately being the HDD, only 250GB. Is that comparable to the Thinkpads? I see in the OP that HP's business line is good, and apparently it has pretty much no already-installed crap in it which I hate... Any opinion on that?

The Lenovo Outlet mentioned in the OP is such a tempting option. I'm seeing T440 and T440p for barely above 600$, apparently saving 1000$... Is there any info on whether they ship to Europe? Or of a European equivalent?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So anyway I've narrowed down my laptop to three choices.

One
Two
Three

They each seem to have distinct advantages and disadvantages and there's no way I'd be able to pick a 700-800 Laptop that doesn't have any. Most Laptops in the price range use AMD CPUs and GPUs and those I'm not too sure of but besides that the specs mostly seem okay?

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I have a Lenovo Y50 that I am in love with but I just started a new job and want something cheap and somewhat more portable that I can VPN into. I don't need a lot of power really at all since I'll basically just be getting into my office computer via remote desktop, so basically just something that is lightweight, can run Windows 7, antivirus, and a remote desktop program. Any thoughts?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Is the Y40 built any better?

I'm looking for a replacement for my wife's older HP Envy 14, which has chewed through multiple display cables and soldiered on after multiple wine spills, but may have finally reached its end. She mainly uses it for games and needs something with a dedicated video card, and while she doesn't need a whole lot more horsepower than she currently has it'd be nice to get something that will last her a while both specs-wise and durability-wise.

The y40 is significantly weaker than the y50. Like waaaaaay way weaker.

Golashes posted:

I have a Lenovo Y50 that I am in love with but I just started a new job and want something cheap and somewhat more portable that I can VPN into. I don't need a lot of power really at all since I'll basically just be getting into my office computer via remote desktop, so basically just something that is lightweight, can run Windows 7, antivirus, and a remote desktop program. Any thoughts?

HP Stream?

Anidav posted:

So anyway I've narrowed down my laptop to three choices.

One
Two
Three

They each seem to have distinct advantages and disadvantages and there's no way I'd be able to pick a 700-800 Laptop that doesn't have any. Most Laptops in the price range use AMD CPUs and GPUs and those I'm not too sure of but besides that the specs mostly seem okay?

Try and find something with an intel processor.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Try and find something with an intel processor.

Number two does.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I want an 11" MacBook Air again. Or an IPS X220....drat you 1366x768

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Anidav posted:

Number two does.

lovely screen, decent processor, dGPU isn't worth a drat but will play indie games I guess. I'd shop around some more, maybe for a used t430 or something.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Is there a list I can reference?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I want an 11" MacBook Air again. Or an IPS X220....drat you 1366x768

Someone did manage to retrofit in a X240 1080p IPS in to an X220 but it looked like an awful lot of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Is 15.6 to large if I'm traveling alot or should I go smaller like 14 or even 13?