Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Thank you and good luck Series DD.

asdf32 posted:

The trick you used that you don't understand yourself is that you went from everyone being at minimum wage to a few people being on minimum wage. Your'e correct that this makes the impact lower.

This almost sounds like its good for your point but it's not because what it means is exactly what I've been saying: past studies have looked at increases which are tiny in terms of dollars and larger increases have exponentially more impact.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

No. I plotted your distribution.

A quadratic dependence would mean doubling the minimum wage quadruples labor costs. (100% increase to the wage, 300% increase to labor costs)

A linear relationship would mean doubling the minimum wage doubles labor costs. (100% increase to the wage, 100% increase to labor costs)

As you can see, the results of your distribution lag significantly behind what a linear relationship would be. And it's not even close to quadratic, lol, why would you think doubling the minimum wage would quadruple the amount a business has to pay everyone?

It looks like the initial wages were all from $7 to $15. In that case, once the minimum wage goes above $15 new people stop getting added and the increase becomes linear.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You know what would be terrible

Making a living wage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

Making a living wage

It would increase prices to intolerable levels.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Literally The Worst posted:

Making a living wage

Oh my god I had no idea you were dickeye until I clicked your rap sheet

Also I disagree I think it would be good.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Series DD Funding posted:

It looks like the initial wages were all from $7 to $15. In that case, once the minimum wage goes above $15 new people stop getting added and the increase becomes linear.

Yes they were. I can add more wage earners if you like, but that will only make the curve lag a linear relationship more (because the average starting wage will be higher, so the baseline total costs would be higher, so smaller increases would have even less effect).

This should be obvious. The higher the average wage is in the economy, the smaller the proportional change in labor costs from raising the minimum would be.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LorrdErnie posted:

Oh my god I had no idea you were dickeye until I clicked your rap sheet

Also I disagree I think it would be good.

You are literally the last person to realize who I am, I think

euphronius posted:

It would increase prices to intolerable levels.

I agree prices are extremely tolerable now for people making minimum wage.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Why do you care about the absolute number in terms of dollars.

A $100,000 increase is significant if I'm currently paying $100,000 in labor costs, I might have to increase prices a lot to stay in business. But if my labor costs are $100,000,000 then that increase is insignificant and even if I pass on the full cost, it will be a fraction of a percent.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

A $100,000 increase is significant if I'm currently paying $100,000 in labor costs, I might have to increase prices a lot to stay in business. But if my labor costs are $100,000,000 then that increase is insignificant and even if I pass on the full cost, it will be a fraction of a percent.

I'm really not sure why you're feeling like it might work with big numbers when it didn't work with little ones. Maybe he hasn't gotten to percentages yet and that's the problem.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The increase to $15 should be retroactive. :getin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bob James posted:

Bob James posted:

To 1640

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

VitalSigns posted:

Yes they were. I can add more wage earners if you like, but that will only make the curve lag a linear relationship more (because the average starting wage will be higher, so the baseline total costs would be higher, so smaller increases would have even less effect).

This should be obvious. The higher the average wage is in the economy, the smaller the proportional change in labor costs from raising the minimum would be.

No. Here is the formula:

On the bottom is the employer's initial costs, which are evenly distributed from $7.25 to $50. On the top is the cost increase given x, where x is the fractional increase in the minwage. y is the fractional increase in costs. w is the initial wage. Wolfram Alpha gives the following solution: y = 0.000817181 (3.55271×10^-15-5.25625×10^-8 x+26.2813 x^2)

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Pencils down. Please turn in your math tests.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

No. Here is the formula:

On the bottom is the employer's initial costs, which are evenly distributed from $7.25 to $50. On the top is the cost increase given x, where x is the fractional increase in the minwage. y is the fractional increase in costs. w is the initial wage. Wolfram Alpha gives the following solution: y = 0.000817181 (3.55271×10^-15-5.25625×10^-8 x+26.2813 x^2)

Please work on the aesthetics of your formulas.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I mean yeah when you look at the math and the formulas and the economics the minimum wage doesn't look so hot but the important thing is how it makes you feel, deep down in your gut.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Yes because you constructed a scenario where effectively everyone was at minimum wage and compared it to a situation where a smaller number of people were initially at minimum wage. You then pointed out that an increase has a larger impact to the former than the latter (obvious). Then you tried to say this indicates that it's not exponential (wrong).

Among other things you don't seem to understand: for any particular range of X's an exponential relationship can lag a linear one. That doesn't mean anything and the latter example (exponential) is a better model of real life.

EDIT Graph:

VitalSigns posted:

Because I care whether the body of research we have (small increases) matches the scenario at hand (large increase) and in terms of overall economic impact on things like inflation or unemployment total dollars helps tell me that.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 11, 2015

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Rodatose posted:

there is no escape from The Resort.

What about their kids? And do children of a resort resident and a non-resort resident stay on the resort or get shuffled to genpop? I'd like to make this work, I've already set up the wiki.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

I mean yeah when you look at the math and the formulas and the economics the minimum wage doesn't look so hot but the important thing is how it makes you feel, deep down in your gut.

This but ironically.

asdf32 posted:

Yes because you constructed a scenario where effectively everyone was at minimum wage and compared it to a situation where a smaller number of people were initially at minimum wage. You then pointed out that an increase has a larger impact to the former than the latter (obvious). Then you tried to say this indicates that it's not exponential (wrong).

Among other things you don't seem to understand: for any particular range of X's an exponential relationship can lag a linear one. That doesn't mean anything and the latter example (exponential) is a better model of real life.
Did you make it through precalculus? Please be honest.

asdf32 posted:

Because I care whether the body of research we have (small increases) matches the scenario at hand (large increase) and in terms of overall economic impact on things like inflation or unemployment total dollars helps tell me that.
It really doesn't. Total dollars out of context mean literally nothing because the only thing that's going to effect money markets or prices or profits or anything is those total dollars relative to the amount in the economy. This applies both on the macro and the micro level.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

LorrdErnie posted:

This but ironically.
:thejoke:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

EDIT Graph:

No. No the total labor costs can never increase by a factor larger than the wage increase. There will never be a situation in which doubling wages quadruples total labor costs. This is literally impossible, because total labor costs are the sum of all wages. If you extend out the graph I made, none of the lines will ever intersect.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

No. Here is the formula:

This answer can't be true. As x grows large, the square term will dominate.

This would mean that at some point doubling the wage again would quadruple total labor costs, but this can't happen because total labor costs is just the sum of all wages.

Is this the result of a Taylor series approximation around x=0?

E: I have to go to work, I'll read your answer tonight

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
asdf missing the key memo that trolling isn't really an accomplishment if you expend more effort and make more posts than the people you're trying to agitate and are mostly just serving to make yourself look legitimately handicapped rather than cause anger.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

Wait do you really think you were the first one being ironic and my main concern with that formula was really its aesthetics? I mean it's an ugly loving formula but come on...

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIniljT5lJI

asdf32
May 15, 2010

LorrdErnie posted:

This but ironically.

Did you make it through precalculus? Please be honest.

It really doesn't. Total dollars out of context mean literally nothing because the only thing that's going to effect money markets or prices or profits or anything is those total dollars relative to the amount in the economy. This applies both on the macro and the micro level.

Yes, with excellent test scores. Though I hate math for the reasons perfectly illustrated by this thread.

VitalSigns posted:

This answer can't be true. As x grows large, the square term will dominate.

This would mean that at some point doubling the wage again would quadruple total labor costs, but this can't happen because total labor costs is just the sum of all wages.

Is this the result of a Taylor series approximation around x=0?

E: I have to go to work, I'll read your answer tonight

It stops being exponential at 50 because at that point the entire population is on minimum wage (in this example)

In real life in the range $7->$15 exponential is a good model.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

asdf32 posted:

Yes, with excellent test scores. Though I hate math for the reasons perfectly illustrated by this thread.

This is very true, but not for the reason you think it is.

quote:

Again maybe slightly true if you are interested in modeling only the least useful aspect of the data.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

It stops being exponential at 50 because at that point the entire population is on minimum wage (in this example)

You mean polynomial.

No, it's not. It's a poor model for that reason. Close to x=0 you can approximate it by a higher order polynomial like a Taylor series, but the farther you move away from zero, the less accurate this becomes. And some of those coefficients will be negative, as the first-order term in Series DD Funding's formula is, which is how even in the range in which it is accurate, the final result will still always lag what a linear relationship would be.

Remember, in a quadratic equation when x < 1, the linear term dominates. Only when x gets large does the quadratic term become more important, but when x gets large a formula approximating the shape near x=0 is no longer useful.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 11, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
asdf will answer questions about his math education but not a simple yes/no on his carnal relations with a watermelon smh.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

You mean polynomial.

No, it's not. It's a poor model for that reason. Close to x=0 you can approximate it by a higher order polynomial like a Taylor series, but the farther you move away from zero, the less accurate this becomes. And some of those coefficients will be negative, as the first-order term in Series DD Funding's formula is, which is how even in the range in which it is accurate, the final result will still always lag what a linear relationship would be.

No we're not talking about a curve fit using a polynomial were just talking about the real life numbers. Assuming, as Series DD did, that workers impacted increases linearly with wage (crude but decent model here) then we're integrating a straight line (form AX+B) which has an answer with an x^2 term. This is basic calculus.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

asdf32 posted:

Yep I want to see that.

Comparing nations does show a backwards curve, but I've never seen one for any particular country. Note that the U.S. curve isn't really backwards overall, the richest demographics work the most.

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1692395

The basic shape is not really country specific, there's been a lot of work into it lately. Now the inflection points, those are pretty variable.

Here's prasch's visualization of the curve:

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

asdf32 posted:

This is assic fuckulus.

I agree.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

-

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 11, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

QuarkJets posted:

As the minimum wage increase, what quantity grows exponentially? The number of people effected by the minimum wage increase? The total dollars representative of increase labor costs? The prices of goods? Explicitly state which quantity is growing exponentially as the minimum wage increases
The dollar amount of additional wages, or better, that quantity represented as a percentage of the overall economy. The thing I've said multiple times.

Nope, that quantity does not grow exponentially as a function of minimum wage. Using actual data from the bureau of labor statistics from 2005, here's what that shape looks like with best-fit quadratic and exponential curves:

Would you like to change your answer?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

moller posted:

What about their kids? And do children of a resort resident and a non-resort resident stay on the resort or get shuffled to genpop? I'd like to make this work, I've already set up the wiki.

We're running a retirement resort, not a baby factory. If someone wants to make new kids, They Must Choose. The wealth of your past, or the hope of your future? Only you can make the decision. Leave behind all you believe you are entitled to and be allowed a new start in genpop, or stay in this purgatory. This goes for the kids as well, which is great for giving me the protagonist of my YA novel about it. It's a metaphor for realizing the need to give up the superficially alluring but ultimately unsatisfying petty comforts of your youth in order to mature into a self-actualized adult in this big wide world

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yo but for real why does the squarehead care so freaking much about American minwage. youd think we're gonna patch up revenue shortfall by coming over there and confiscating his disgusting fermented fish products

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LorrdErnie posted:

more stuff

Yes lol, if you go ahead and redefine everyone as poor, then the minimum wage works. Households with incomes from $60k-$100k, i.e. the global 0.5%, are now poor by your definition. So the fact that the minimum wage helps them almost as much as it does the bottom 20% is all of a sudden ok because everyone is so poor.

By your same logic:
Tax cuts for the rich are a policy that help the poor, because the rich are actually poor!

What's the point in focusing on the bottom 20% of the income distribution with all these anti-poverty policies anyway? Don't people know that families making $60k-$100k are just as needy as them?

GlyphGryph posted:

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1692395

The basic shape is not really country specific, there's been a lot of work into it lately. Now the inflection points, those are pretty variable.

Here's prasch's visualization of the curve:

So let's see, Journal of Political Economy article by a Stanford professor: MY GOD, THIS ARTICLE IS ALL WRONG. I DON'T KNOW HOW; BUT IT IS
Metroeconomica article with no empirics at all: Yeah, there's a lot of empirical evidence for this
*adds pic from Unlearning Economics, the economics equivalent of a global warming denier blog*

The 19% of minimum wage workers coming from households with incomes $60k-$100k and the 14% coming from households with income above $100k probably are close the subsistence frontier, yes.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 11, 2015

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

QuarkJets posted:

The dollar amount of additional wages, or better, that quantity represented as a percentage of the overall economy. The thing I've said multiple times.

Nope, that quantity does not grow exponentially as a function of minimum wage. Using actual data from the bureau of labor statistics from 2005, here's what that shape looks like with best-fit quadratic and exponential curves:

Would you like to change your answer?

Weren't you arguing it was linear at first?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

No we're not talking about a curve fit using a polynomial were just talking about the real life numbers. Assuming, as Series DD did, that workers impacted increases linearly with wage (crude but decent model here) then we're integrating a straight line (form AX+B) which has an answer with an x^2 term. This is basic calculus.

Nah, total labor costs as a function of minimum wage can't have an x^2 term, because as x gets large, x^2 dwarfs everything else and the function just looks like x^2. But we know that the total labor cost is a linear function of wage as x gets large because the total labor costs is just the arithmetic sum of all wages. Double all wages, double their sum. 2(a+b)=2a+2b. You will never have a situation wherein you double all wages and total wages somehow quadruple.

What you mean to say is: you can select a wage distribution such that total wages can be approximated by a quadratic polynomial provided x is small. But there's no sense in freaking out about polynomial growth when x is small, because that's when their growth is slow. Explosive polynomial growth happens when x is large, but at that point a quadratic is no longer an accurate approximation anymore.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:02 on May 11, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Weren't you arguing it was linear at first?

Nope, I only stated that the curve was definitely not exponential (because it loving obviously isn't). I think Vital Signs at one point suggested a linear relationship for a completely different quantity, but that was before asdf32 was explicit in defining what he thought was exponential

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

The part that you're loving up is basic algebra vocabulary

y = x^2 is not an exponential function

• Locked thread