Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

pixaal posted:

I set sensitivity to max then I really started to enjoy the gyro controls. The max sensitivity is a bit high to free hand the controller. Rest your elbows on your knees while sitting so your hands are stable. This will give you steady aim. give about 30-45 degrees and press the camera reset button. You should now be good to look fully up and down without making insane motions. Gyro is impossible without max sensitivity, it turns into captain toad where the motion feels 1:1 and to look behind you, you literally look behind you.

1:1 gyros work in a computer chair with a 3DS they do not work for a TV based console where you still need the main screen. Star Fox is gyro controls in a computer chair is so much fun you aim by twirling around using your feet basically and it's fun :colbert:
They don't expect you to turn your body to turn your character, that's what the stick is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
X seems like the best button for jump, since it has the least travel distance from the right stick. it'd be best if you could stick it on R or something, though.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
i made a webm of the best button

http://a.pomf.se/uzefiq.webm

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I got the most out of the gyro controls by using the stick to aim horizontally and using gyro to aim up and down. It works really well.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dosvidanya posted:

i made a webm of the best button

http://a.pomf.se/uzefiq.webm

In Europe the button says "Nice".

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Rocketlex posted:

Age 14, apparently.

Who overfed the big ones you fight in Sunshine and some of the RPG mario games then?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

MTV Crib Death posted:

Anyone else have wild Splatoon dreams from playing right before bed? My girlfriend and I both woke up after a night of painting wild landscapes. Something about those colors just coats the brain.

Just the extremely loud song that plays in the eShop.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if you are not mashing booyah everytime you super jump why are you playing this game

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I can't hear the word "Booyah!" without thinking of this Saturday Night Live sketch and that just makes it better.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Since it keeps getting mentioned:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

greetings

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Am I the only one who got kind of hungry after some of the matches? The stages end up looking like strange bars of colorful taffy.

Yeah, playing the game with people spraying Strawberry or Grape flavored jam or frosting everywhere for awhile made me really want some sweets.

Super Slash posted:

Lol at the "stussy S" in there.

Lisa Frank and Codename: Kids next door are other things very similar to Splatoon that I forgot about.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Super Slash posted:

My favorite thing about this is the squid Animorph

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Dammit, now I really want a Wii U. (also, because I don't really watch the nintendo directs, I just learned that the Squid Idols are named Callie and Marie. Which is just :allears: )

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
... Does anybody else miss it already? :smith:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

... Does anybody else miss it already? :smith:

Yes. But at least I can play Mario Kart undistracted for the next 19 days.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

This game is so good that I learn how to gifs for it.

made 6 more from the Splatoon commercial
http://imgur.com/a/CAlYC

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
One thing I'm looking forward to seeing: once the ability to have games entirely consisting of 8 friends opens up, people will start loving around and trying to make two tone art on the maps. I won't do that, but I'll watch the inevitable time-lapse youtubes.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

in game billoards will have miiverse posts

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

skeletronics posted:

One thing I'm looking forward to seeing: once the ability to have games entirely consisting of 8 friends opens up, people will start loving around and trying to make two tone art on the maps. I won't do that, but I'll watch the inevitable time-lapse youtubes.

Personally, I just wanna get on Skype or Mumble with a couple of goons and have a blast. Multiplayer games have always been best when you vaguely know the people you're curbstomping. Or curbstomping you. Or just generally dicking around.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The more I think about it, the more I'm surprised there isn't a kill-focused "Splatmatch" mode. I understand it not being the focus, but it would be an interesting way to change things up. You'd still need paint coverage to enhance your mobility, but you'd apply it strategically rather than aggressively.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think that as the game goes on they'll experiment with other modes. Wouldn't be surprised if by this time next year there's three more modes for the non-ranked stuff and five or so on the ranked stuff. They obviously got some stuff in the pipeline, I'd like to think that they'll use what people post on miiverse to think up ideas for new modes.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Does anyone know the name of that special weapon that's essentially makes a gate out of ink?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Does anyone know the name of that special weapon that's essentially makes a gate out of ink?

The Sub Weapon call the Splash Wall?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Jarogue posted:

The Sub Weapon call the Splash Wall?

Oh, it's a sub weapon. Even better!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Nintendo needs to sell water guns/toys based on all these things.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i can't wait for the nintendo water park

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just want to have some nintendo water sports.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

skeletronics posted:

One day you'll look down at the map and see dickbutt looking back up at you.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Rocketlex posted:

The more I think about it, the more I'm surprised there isn't a kill-focused "Splatmatch" mode. I understand it not being the focus, but it would be an interesting way to change things up. You'd still need paint coverage to enhance your mobility, but you'd apply it strategically rather than aggressively.

They already announced there would be a deathmatch style mode.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I honestly think Turf War is way cooler than any death match mode could possibly be.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I was too busy this weekend to take part in the testfire but i'm still way way too excited to play this. I already preordered my copy. It is going to own so hard holy poo poo.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I honestly think Turf War is way cooler than any death match mode could possibly be.

Yeah but it's nice to switch it up every so often. A free for all night also be interesting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I was too busy this weekend to take part in the testfire but i'm still way way too excited to play this. I already preordered my copy. It is going to own so hard holy poo poo.

Really wish they'd open up the demo some more. The wait is killing me.

pixaal posted:

Yeah but it's nice to switch it up every so often. A free for all night also be interesting.

Free for all wouldn't work so well in this game, what color would you be? Each person their own color? That'd be a mess, you'd be slowed down everywhere you go.

It is ultimately a team game, inherently.

I think there should be team deathmatch but I also think there probably will be.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Super Slash posted:

What exactly was the "S-Thing" that we all drew in middle school?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Really wish they'd open up the demo some more. The wait is killing me.
Me too. I only found out about the demo 5 minutes before the last hour ended :negative:

Speaking of which, does anyone know any good youtube/twitch links of people playing this that don't have too annoying voiceovers or the person playing aggressively ignoring every bit of text then having no idea what's going on?

Meme Emulator posted:

Nobody really knows. Apparently people were even drawing it back in the '40s and '50s so it's not even really a '90s thing...

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The demo was very fun, although I find myself thinking I would enjoy the game the most in short little 15-30 minute bursts similar to the beta. If it was $40 I'd pre-order but $60 I think I'll do a wait and see. Hopefully the retail version has plenty of content because that was a fun little beta.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

Its just a shape which is popular to draw, like a flat cube. People been drawing it for years all over the Earth without necessarily spreading it, most of the proposed origins of it are all debated.

Its essentially an early pre-internet meme, like 'Kilroy was here'.

Icedude posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know any good youtube/twitch links of people playing this that don't have too annoying voiceovers or the person playing aggressively ignoring every bit of text then having no idea what's going on?-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APkbS4IwvFI

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2LdOOLtPh0

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The demo was very fun, although I find myself thinking I would enjoy the game the most in short little 15-30 minute bursts similar to the beta. If it was $40 I'd pre-order but $60 I think I'll do a wait and see. Hopefully the retail version has plenty of content because that was a fun little beta.

I mean there is the single player campaign that looks a lot like Super Mario Galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Meme Emulator posted:

It's from the brand Stussy.

• Locked thread