Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Man I was so relieved once it was revealed Jorah got stone-leper'd. I was worried the recap was hinting bad things for Shireen :ohdear:

Episode highlights:
+ Davos being a cool uncle, as always
+ Grey Worm and Missandei. Yeah their subplot is p. cringeworthy but they're cute, sue me
+ Brienne for the first time in her life seeing her stupid-rear end sense of honor pay off after arriving at a country full of stupid-rear end sense of honor
+ Stark family reunion! :) kinda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I wish Davos was my uncle

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I would watch a show called Breakfast with Stannis that consisted of just watching Stannis quietly eat breakfast while reading a newspaper. Maybe Tywin or Roose could have a guest appearance and they could switch sections every twenty minutes or so.

I have a bad relationship with my father, thread.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Stone Man grabbed Tyrion's ankle. How is he not stoned?

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

That owns, Stannis owns.

So much this. That was the best.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

He was wearing pants.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

No skin to skin contact. It probably works like how people think real leprosy works.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
People in this world get executed for stealing ham. How are they not instantly executing everyone who gets greyscale instead of sending them off to be crazy boogiemen in the spooky city.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Stannis is so loving cool. Donning the big rear end fur cloak instantly made him the most awesome character on the show. I got goosebumps watching his army march off.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ah poo poo. This is like eating an orange in The Godfather, isn't it.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Tomahawk posted:

People in this world get executed for stealing ham. How are they not instantly executing everyone who gets greyscale instead of sending them off to be crazy boogiemen in the spooky city.

Presumably they're still less hosed up, but still highly contagious. People might want to send them off to live out their lives, though it's kinda surprising they weren't just quietly bringing them behind the metaphorical barn. The whole thing is clearly supposed to be a mirror to leper colonies, except lepers in real life were pretty normal and these guys are definitely going to be aggressive/insane.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
You could kill them, yeah, but then what do you with their dead body? Greyscale is so fantastically contagious that Shireen contracted it from an infected doll. If you buried someone with greyscale, the earth around their grave would probably becomes poisonous. If you burned them, it wouldn't surprise me if the disease carried in the smoke. The only solution is to send them to the one place in the world that is already a hellhole.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
It strikes me that grayscale also probably isn't very common in Westeros, although I could be wrong about that, it makes sense that noble families would maybe rather send their infected off to Valyria then execute them, especially if it doesn't happen that often.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

So that doll that infected Shireen, was that some sort of intentional assassination plot? The way Stannis told it, that the merchant dressed it up in Baratheon colors and set up shop right after Shireen was born made it sound like someone was intentionally trying to infect his family or something.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wait, so Dany is marrying some random noble douchebag from a city she plans to leave behind? Wouldn't it be better for her to save that marriage alliance slot for Westeros?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Or was a merchant and figured Baratheon colors would make the kids like his wares more.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wait, so Dany is marrying some random noble douchebag from a city she plans to leave behind? Wouldn't it be better for her to save that marriage alliance slot for Westeros?

Look how hosed her city is. She is pretty obsessed with the idea that if she can't rule Meereen, she can't rule anywhere. So she is getting slightly creative in her methods of ruling. Also, it isn't really a Targaryen ruling-style to "save a marriage alliance slot"-- indeed, Targs are more impulsive people.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oops wrong thread.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 11, 2015

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

an skeleton posted:

Look how hosed her city is. She is pretty obsessed with the idea that if she can't rule Meereen, she can't rule anywhere. So she is getting slightly creative in her methods of ruling. Also, it isn't really a Targaryen ruling-style to "save a marriage alliance slot"-- indeed, Targs are more impulsive people.

Her ancestors were keen on multiple marriages, she can marry as many people as she wants now that she's feeding people to dragons.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
A minor thing in the episode, but I thought Peter Dinklage absolutely nailed the look of a man who had long since stopped thinking there was anything left in the world could surprise or amaze him, and then saw a loving dragon fly over him.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Jorah is getting a pretty glorious comeuppance here. No way he can keep that a secret forever, his literal best case scenario (assuming lopping off a hand isn't practical) is delivering Tyrion, Dany somehow being grateful enough for that to forgive him and let him rejoin her council and finally throw him a pity lay, he's murdered in battle by the Harpy's the next day with a big ol' glove over his hand and arm, and no one messes with his clothes before burying him.

He's been a doomed character from the start, but now he's like, extra super special doomed, and at this point it's just fun to see what else the universe can throw at him.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Remote User posted:

So Stannis is a huge grammar nazi.

Stannis is in good company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGWiTvYZR_w

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Tomahawk posted:

Probably common folk do get quietly thrown in rivers or disposed of in some way that prevents further infection. But nobles with resources would find executing their children distasteful. It does still raise questions like... who takes them over there (since the infected are often children)

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

So that doll that infected Shireen, was that some sort of intentional assassination plot? The way Stannis told it, that the merchant dressed it up in Baratheon colors and set up shop right after Shireen was born made it sound like someone was intentionally trying to infect his family or something.

It does read like an assassination attempt, although it begs the very serious question of "why kill the female heir of the king's brother (when the king had a son by then)" The alternative is 'it was a just a merchant who handled lots of stuff from the east (Dornish merchant, I think) and accidentally infected the doll.

an skeleton posted:

Also, she still probably believes her name alone will be enough to rule Westeros with. Whenever she used to talk about Westeros, she seemed to think everyone was clamoring for the return of her family.

This episode was silly: "hey I'm doing what literally everyone told me to. Nevermind the many many people who died for no reason than my own stubborn pride, I'm clearly a strong tuler"

Also anyone she marries is clearly doomed / gonna get abandoned at the very best

OrangeKing posted:

A minor thing in the episode, but I thought Peter Dinklage absolutely nailed the look of a man who had long since stopped thinking there was anything left in the world could surprise or amaze him, and then saw a loving dragon fly over him.

Yeah that ruled. Tyrion rules. Jorah is a huge doomed dummy who is endangering him for no reason and took our sweet sweet Varys/Tyrion scenes.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I couldnt help but notice that Sansa is looking mighty chesty lately. So pumped for her first sex scene :dong:

just hope its not with Ramsey

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Hexel posted:

I couldnt help but notice that Sansa is looking mighty chesty lately. So pumped for her first sex scene :dong:

just hope its not with Ramsey
In any other thread this would be inappropriate but this show zooms in on a girl's vagina for absolutely no other reason than "because it can", so this is actually a valid topic.

Was talking to my wife about it and we both agreed that Sansa and Arya feel off limits, since they began the show under age. I'm going to be really surprised if we see anything from either of them. Going to be even more surprised if it adds anything at all to the plot.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Bobo the Red posted:

Also, she still probably believes her name alone will be enough to rule Westeros with. Whenever she used to talk about Westeros, she seemed to think everyone was clamoring for the return of her family.

Yeah that ruled. Tyrion rules. Jorah is a huge doomed dummy who is endangering him for no reason and took our sweet sweet Varys/Tyrion scenes.

She doesn't think that, after the stories of her crazy dad turned out to be true she thinks she needs to learn how to rule before going to Westeros. So Meereen is like her practice city. Unfortunately her customs and expectations are completely different from the reality of life in Slaver's Bay cities , and she is a foreigner and a conqueror. So she is like quadruply unwelcome there. In Westeros her name would actually be enough to get her onto the throne, especially with the huge mess the Baratheons/Lannisters/Boltons/etc. have made of the kingdom. Hopefully soon she will realize that she needs to stop dicking around in the East and go back to Westeros to be queen.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Jorah is getting a pretty glorious comeuppance here. No way he can keep that a secret forever, his literal best case scenario (assuming lopping off a hand isn't practical) is delivering Tyrion, Dany somehow being grateful enough for that to forgive him and let him rejoin her council and finally throw him a pity lay, he's murdered in battle by the Harpy's the next day with a big ol' glove over his hand and arm, and no one messes with his clothes before burying him.

He's been a doomed character from the start, but now he's like, extra super special doomed, and at this point it's just fun to see what else the universe can throw at him.

It would be hilarious if Jorah accidentally infects a bunch of people and causes a massive epidemic among the former slave population which causes everyone to rebel against Dany because everyone is growing scales now that the Dragon Queen is burning people alive.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

The only solution is to send them to the one place in the world that is already a hellhole.

New Jersey?

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

It would be hilarious if Jorah accidentally infects a bunch of people and causes a massive epidemic among the former slave population which causes everyone to rebel against Dany because everyone is growing scales now that the Dragon Queen is burning people alive.

It would give Dany an excuse to burn the city to the ground and be able to justify it as being merciful.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

OrangeKing posted:

Was that drogon or was it some other dragon? (I couldn't tell)

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Drogon is the only dragon that isn't chained up, so yeah it is.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Oh poo poo! Stonemen

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
Why not cut off his arm? Or does it not work like the walking dead infection.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
"Hey Tyrion, do me a big favor and cut my arm off. Also find a way to stop the arterial bleeding. Kill the imp, and be the Dr. MacGuyver you were born to be."

Dr. Pancakes
Aug 12, 2011

Thank you for not eating me without syrup
Well it was pretty much at his hand level and we already had one main character lose his hand no problem. It was his left hand also so less of a disadvantage.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Amputation does work... but only sometimes. Jorah probably doesn't want to risk it. He may be doomed but it's a slow death, he has years before ends up like the stone men of Valyria.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Dr. Pancakes posted:

Why not cut off his arm? Or does it not work like the walking dead infection.

Cutting your arm off, with crude tools, in the middle of nowhere, while with someone who is at least nominally your prisoner is not super likely to end well.

Pikehead posted:

Was that drogon or was it some other dragon? (I couldn't tell)

As far as we (and everyone in the show) knows, there are exactly 3 (or fewer) dragons. It looked a lot like Drogon, and if it's not, it's a huge reveal

Lets Pickle posted:

She doesn't think that, after the stories of her crazy dad turned out to be true she thinks she needs to learn how to rule before going to Westeros. So Meereen is like her practice city. Unfortunately her customs and expectations are completely different from the reality of life in Slaver's Bay cities , and she is a foreigner and a conqueror. So she is like quadruply unwelcome there. In Westeros her name would actually be enough to get her onto the throne, especially with the huge mess the Baratheons/Lannisters/Boltons/etc. have made of the kingdom. Hopefully soon she will realize that she needs to stop dicking around in the East and go back to Westeros to be queen.

She is certainly more aware that she doesn't really know the first thing about ruling, but that doesn't mean she's realized that her name doesn't mean as much as she would hope. Hell, she's was trying to rule Mereen on the strength of her (other) name alone, and it took catastrophic failure for her to even compromise.

I would be really shocked and disappointed if the people of Westeros welcomed her with open arms as she invaded their country with a completely foreign army and dragons. Sure, it's a mess right now, but people do still remember the Mad King. As much as we've watched the Lannisters wheel and deal, most folk actually seem loyal to their factions, and betraying them for Daenerys basically means they are more loyal to the Mad King than they are to anyone else, which seems... unlikely.

The whole thing about the Iron Throne is that it was created on top of a system of much older kingdoms, whose loyalties were still quite openly divided, and it only stayed together because of the Targaryen dragons; why would anyone help them get back in power (besides someone like Varys who might view any unity as preferable to this chaos)?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last week I was concerned because Stannis was being dad of the year with Shireen and I thought that meant bad things for Shireen. But this episode Stannis was basically being like the best King you could possibly hope for - encouraging Sam's study in order to find an effective method of dealing with the White Walkers, actually understanding the White Walkers are a real threat, giving Jon those ships even though he's not entirely sure he'll get them back, because he's actually taking a long term view beyond,"I wanna be King!" which immediately puts him at first-equal with Dany as far as ruling goes, even if they both make plenty of mistakes on the way.

So NOW I'm concerned that Stannis is heading for death, because I can't believe a guy who actually looks like he might be an effective, quality King AND a good (if distant) father is actually going to get anything but absolutely hosed. Hopefully he allows Melisandre to do something unspeakably evil in the next episode or two to make him a bit more of a bastard.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bobo the Red posted:

As far as we (and everyone in the show) knows, there are exactly 3 (or fewer) dragons. It looked a lot like Drogon, and if it's not, it's a huge reveal
The HBO Synopsis says Drogon.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I'm just so glad that Grey Worm isn't dead and got to smooch on Missandei a little bit. Poor dude has been through it and deserves a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

which immediately puts him at first-equal with Dany as far as ruling goes, even if they both make plenty of mistakes on the way.

Since when is Miss Arbitrary considered a good ruler?

Anyway, I think it's a weird move to let the non-character live (Greyworm) and have the important and developed character with motivations die, especially when the ending of the previous episode set up a reverse outcome.

• Locked thread