Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I just had a dude try to literally sideswipe my car because he thought i "was trying to race him" from a stoplight. :wtc: I got his plate thankfully although there's really nothing to do.

Looks like I am done being on the fence on buying a dash cam.

Anyone have a good recommendation for something ~$200? I will be getting it wired at a local shop probably to hide all the wires and not have it use my cigarette lighter.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Chinatown posted:

I just had a dude try to literally sideswipe my car because he thought i "was trying to race him" from a stoplight. :wtc: I got his plate thankfully although there's really nothing to do.

Anyone have a good recommendation for something ~$200? I will be getting it wired at a local shop probably to hide all the wires and not have it use my cigarette lighter.

Thanks.

Depending if you want additional features, the Mini 0803, 0805 or 0806 are my suggestion. GPS is optional, and the image quality is the best I have seen this side of a GoPro.

Im running an 0803 and am very happy with it. the 0806 is supposedly just as good with some better cooling and slightly better image.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chinatown posted:

I will be getting it wired at a local shop probably to hide all the wires and not have it use my cigarette lighter.

You might want to reconsider this if you're at all handy with electrical. I don't trust the kids at the car stereo place or whatever to not make a mess of your wiring harness.

My dad's Ranger (the only modern car I've done any electrical on) has the cigarette lighter plug fed by a 1/4" spade connector on the back of it. What I'd do is make a Y cable for that connector, and wire in your 12V to 5V buck converter (or whatever) to that. No wires cut, and can go straight back to stock if you decide to remove it.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
I'm gonna recommend the Mobius or the Mini 0803.

So far both of mine (0803 front, Mobius rear) are going strong. The 0803 has refused to record once, but a quick reformat returned it to normal. It does make a Windows 95 era sound to indicate it's not recording, so there aren't any surprises about it.

I love them both. I'm torn as far as what my next dashcam should be. Should I go with an 0806, or should I go all Mobius?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Chinatown posted:

Thanks.

https://dashcamtalk.com/powerucc-panoramaii/
I've been using the panorama II S for over a year and it's been good. The firmware gets updated regularly and reliability is good. Only trouble I had was because I was using a microSD inside and adapter to full-size SD card which doesn't work in the heat. Reliability was important for me after having lots of trouble with a cheaper cam. Sounds like other makers are getting better now though?

Check out:
https://dashcamtalk.com/
Has a big table with a comparison of models.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Chinatown posted:

Thanks.

First of all, welcome to the club. Everyone you drive with will think you're paranoid, but gently caress 'em.

I've been running this without any issues for a few months. Before that I had a DVR007. Dashcamtalk has a good rundown on what's the best crap coming out of China these days.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Mobius Mobius Mobius. I'm entertaining getting a second one to face the rear. Then I could remove them from the car periodically and rig them up to shoot 3D video with them or something weird.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

bobfather posted:

Mobius Mobius Mobius. I'm entertaining getting a second one to face the rear. Then I could remove them from the car periodically and rig them up to shoot 3D video with them or something weird.

Basically this. I realize that G1Ws and their variations are about $30 less than a Mobius + supercapacitor, but really the boost in quality for those extra dollars is beyond twofold.

G1Ws, while acceptable, are vastly inferior and should probably not be recommended for first timers unless they need that additional $20 for food to survive. The video quality is night and day between the Mobius and the G1W. Mobius video will capture the license plate numbers with clarity at a distance, G1Ws will not.

It's like comparing a cheapo digital camera from the mid-2000s and a new digital camera from 2015, imo.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Wickerman posted:

Basically this. I realize that G1Ws and their variations are about $30 less than a Mobius + supercapacitor, but really the boost in quality for those extra dollars is beyond twofold.

G1Ws, while acceptable, are vastly inferior and should probably not be recommended for first timers unless they need that additional $20 for food to survive. The video quality is night and day between the Mobius and the G1W. Mobius video will capture the license plate numbers with clarity at a distance, G1Ws will not.

It's like comparing a cheapo digital camera from the mid-2000s and a new digital camera from 2015, imo.

Don't forget to look for the wide angle Mobius, not the standard one !

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
There's also the new K1S front and rear camera system, which the guy at Techmoan seems to love. I think that's about $200

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Scruff McGruff posted:

There's also the new K1S front and rear camera system, which the guy at Techmoan seems to love. I think that's about $200

I really like my mini 0803, but as soon as it gives me problems or I buy a second car, I am picking up one of those cameras. It is is exactly what I wanted when I got the 0803, but at the time there was not a good package out.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Negromancer posted:

I really like my mini 0803, but as soon as it gives me problems or I buy a second car, I am picking up one of those cameras. It is is exactly what I wanted when I got the 0803, but at the time there was not a good package out.

My 0803 had its first ever hang on boot (causing the boot chime to stutter until the battery died) and it was tempting, for sure.

though the firmware update added some nice features.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Scruff McGruff posted:

This looks really nice, I'm pretty sure this is what I'll be getting for my wife's car

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
I picked up a Mobius a few weeks ago and have been really pleased with it so far. Haven't caught much in the way of idiocy yet, but I'm sure that'll change over time.

Also, I've gotta say that SpyTec was a really nice company to deal with. I ordered mine with the suction cup mount, but they sent me the VHB one by mistake. (I actually was planning to get the VHB mount eventually, but wanted to use the suction cup to figure out positioning first.) Emailed them about it, they sent the suction cup mount out priority mail, and told me to keep the VHB mount as their way of apologizing for the mixup.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Laserface posted:

My 0803 had its first ever hang on boot (causing the boot chime to stutter until the battery died) and it was tempting, for sure.

though the firmware update added some nice features.

Mine has done the same thing, but only one time. I really need to remember to grab it out of my car and upgrade the firmware...

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I've never given much thought to getting a dashcam before until my drive into work today. I live in pretty rural pennsylvania so I don't have to deal with the inner city driving bullshit but today I had the closest call I've ever had.

I'm in the right lane traveling east bound on a 4 lane non divided highway. Some rear end in a top hat heading west bound decided to pull a u turn, ok no problem, I'm in the right lane there's nobody in the left lane he'll hang out in the left lane alowing me to continue on my way while he gets back to highway speed. Wrong! He comes directly into my lane when I'm about right on top of him, I stand on the brakes and manage to get slowed down enough to not hit him.

I'm sure in his story I'm the rear end in a top hat because yea I was speeding a little bit(nice day, empty roads, fun car, etc..) but who the gently caress pulls across 3 lanes into the only lane with a car in it?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

fps_bill posted:

I've never given much thought to getting a dashcam before until my drive into work today. I live in pretty rural pennsylvania so I don't have to deal with the inner city driving bullshit but today I had the closest call I've ever had.

I'm in the right lane traveling east bound on a 4 lane non divided highway. Some rear end in a top hat heading west bound decided to pull a u turn, ok no problem, I'm in the right lane there's nobody in the left lane he'll hang out in the left lane alowing me to continue on my way while he gets back to highway speed. Wrong! He comes directly into my lane when I'm about right on top of him, I stand on the brakes and manage to get slowed down enough to not hit him.

I'm sure in his story I'm the rear end in a top hat because yea I was speeding a little bit(nice day, empty roads, fun car, etc..) but who the gently caress pulls across 3 lanes into the only lane with a car in it?

Much like how people never experience their vehicle above 3000rpm, most people never turn the wheel more than 10 degrees.

superscumbag
Oct 25, 2012
Got a school bus running a red light. Light was red for as long as you can see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfQEDV3x_NE

smax
Nov 9, 2009

superscumbag posted:

Send that poo poo to the district. That isn't cool.

superscumbag
Oct 25, 2012

smax posted:

Send that poo poo to the district. That isn't cool.

I did. Got the bus number and the time stamp is correct

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

superscumbag posted:

I did. Got the bus number and the time stamp is correct

Now send it to your local news and wait for things to get interesting.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

superscumbag posted:

You didn't stop when the street told you to stop :colbert:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

DEAR RICHARD posted:

You didn't stop when the street told you to stop :colbert:

Isn't that just a stop line for when the barrier is down?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

My Mini 0802 has started getting pink stripes and weird video glitches when the sun is bright. I live in California so this is a problem. So I ordered a Mini 0806 from China and it came tonight! I'll install tomorrow and post some footage. I've been really happy with my 0802 and I think the 0806 is improved in almost every way, so I can't wait to see the quality I get from it.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
My second G1W is acting weird so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and commit to the K1S.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mini 0806 install report: I still hate wiring.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

tuna posted:

mini 0806 install report: I still hate wiring.

dont they use the same mounts across all the Mini 080x models? I would have thought you could just use the 0802 GPS mount.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Laserface posted:

dont they use the same mounts across all the Mini 080x models? I would have thought you could just use the 0802 GPS mount.

The 0806 is notably different in design from previous models, however I went through the whole wiring thing and then realized at the very end I didn't even check to see if it would drop into the original mount lol so I still don't know. My previous wiring job was a complete hack (dismantling the cigar-lighter plug assembly wired to an inline fuse to plug into the fusebox) and the 0806 came with a proper wiring harness so it was worth cleaning up the mess of circuitry I had in the fusebox. The double sided 3M adhesive pad was an absolute burden to take off, too.

I will probably re-use the 0802 either as a rear facing cam or put it in the GFs car so I'd need the old mount for it anyway since it contains the gps module for that camera.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Police can be so confusing sometimes. Is it any wonder why people are so polarized about them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Dfptp5ypo

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Sorry officer, I couldn't see the details of your hand signal next to your blinding loving lights.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

"Whatabout that thing goes off now?"

Everyone in the world dies I guess? If it's so dangerous why are you lecturing him in the ~danger zone~ and not just telling him to get the gently caress out of the road asap you stupid condescending gently caress.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I hate when cops are condescending. I rolled a stop sign to turn right in a deserted residential neighborhood one morning only to find a cop parked half a block down the way I was going. He flagged me down and shouted "WHAT DOES THAT SIGN SAY?" So of course I reply "Stop" "AND WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO?" "Stop". Then he just waved me on.

Of course as I drove away all I could think was "I know how to read and I've been driving since before you were born. Either give me a ticket or shut the gently caress up." I mean, I know I deserved a ticket, what I didn't deserve was being talked down to like a teenager by someone who very recently used to be one.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

LloydDobler posted:

I hate when cops are condescending. I rolled a stop sign to turn right in a deserted residential neighborhood one morning only to find a cop parked half a block down the way I was going. He flagged me down and shouted "WHAT DOES THAT SIGN SAY?" So of course I reply "Stop" "AND WHAT ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DO?" "Stop". Then he just waved me on.

Of course as I drove away all I could think was "I know how to read and I've been driving since before you were born. Either give me a ticket or shut the gently caress up." I mean, I know I deserved a ticket, what I didn't deserve was being talked down to like a teenager by someone who very recently used to be one.
If the annoyance of being talked down to is greater to you than the annoyance of paying a traffic ticket, then I'd argue the cop made the right choice. The more you dislike the punishment, then the less likely you're going to roll though a stop sign in the future, right?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Craptacular posted:

The more you dislike the punishment, then the less likely you're going to roll though a stop sign in the future, right?

Nope.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Craptacular posted:

If the annoyance of being talked down to is greater to you than the annoyance of paying a traffic ticket, then I'd argue the cop made the right choice. The more you dislike the punishment, then the less likely you're going to roll though a stop sign in the future, right?

?? People break traffic laws because they believe they're not gonna get caught, most of the time. Not because the punishment is a pleasure cruise.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
Here's a bump and run i caught on a G1W-C the other day. No damage was done but this guy wasn't sticking around either way. This camera is pretty great considering that it only cost me $65.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUGaQqdyAS8

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Yay for idiots with no situational awareness and the "I'm the most important thing on the road" mentality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apStb-B959E

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

bobfather posted:

Police can be so confusing sometimes. Is it any wonder why people are so polarized about them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Dfptp5ypo

D: I used to live at Bird and Virginia right there.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Scruff McGruff posted:

My second G1W is acting weird so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and commit to the K1S.

I bought my G1W in Feb 14, it worked for about 6 months, then took a dump. Nice waste of 70 bucks. I'm going to do the same and just get a K1S, especially since I'm about to spend a stupid amount of money on a new car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Trip Report. Been using this for the past month or so and its been flawless. If you are thinking about getting a better unit check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/KDLINKS%C2%AE-X1-Dashboard-Camcorder-G-Sensor/dp/B00N8BM0BU