Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
over service laws tend to be absolutely loving retarded, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This drinking thing just doesn't work for me in the way that it does for a lot of other people.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

mooyashi posted:

over service in CO is a class IV felony :eyepop:

suddenly makes sense why the bars are so picky about anyone even being slightly boisterous when they're entering

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

No, I don't have a drinking problem. Quite the contrary.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, I don't have a drinking problem.

:ohdear: im sorry dont hit me again

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Spaceman Future! posted:

:ohdear: im sorry dont hit me again

That's really not something to make light of.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Just applied to a job that would give me three times the take home pay of what I currently have now. Plus much better benefits. I've got an employee referral and some solid experience, but I'm antsy as gently caress.

Plus it's not even the career that I'm necessarily interested in. Still better than the general clerical work I'm doing now. I'd say I'm only doing this for the paycheck while I look for something closer to what I really want to do long term, but that's what the dude who's referring me said 4 years ago. gently caress.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Just applied to a job that would give me three times the take home pay of what I currently have now. Plus much better benefits. I've got an employee referral and some solid experience, but I'm antsy as gently caress.

Plus it's not even the career that I'm necessarily interested in. Still better than the general clerical work I'm doing now. I'd say I'm only doing this for the paycheck while I look for something closer to what I really want to do long term, but that's what the dude who's referring me said 4 years ago. gently caress.

forestry service is baller, ain't it?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

My Imaginary GF posted:

forestry service is baller, ain't it?

It's actually with an environmental monitoring and mitigation firm. Forest Service is what I'd rather be doing, less because of compensation and more because of the nature and setting of the work.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's actually with an environmental monitoring and mitigation firm.

is the pay so high because the increased suicide rate from feelings of powerlessness to stop the destruction of the environment qualifies you for hazard pay?

quote:

Forest Service is what I'd rather be doing, less because of compensation and more because of the nature :iamafag: and setting of the work.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
bernie sanders Y/N

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Whose that's?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's really not something to make light of.

what are you new

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Rodatose posted:

Whose that's?
ron paul

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

baka kaba posted:

On the anniversary of VE Day, David Cameron vows to launch a policy Blitzkrieg on the people of Britain

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The girl scouts allow young boys who identify as a girl to join the girl scouts? That's rather progressive.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

what happened posted:

bernie sanders Y/N

n

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

what happened posted:

bernie sanders Y/N

Y but lol he is not getting nominated

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what happened posted:

bernie sanders Y/N

-h

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Exclamation Marx posted:

you were there a decade ago maybe? wellington & auckland both have lots of ethnic food and christchurch is mostly rubble

8 years ago, yes

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

what happened posted:

bernie sanders Y/N

seems like a real waste of effort to go through all the trouble of voting in the primary for a dude that will have dropped out of the race by then and would end up a s a political pariah stranded in the white house even if he got elected so im gonna go with "cynical laugh"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

yargh what a long weeekend

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

my bender gave me a cold

gently caress drinking

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Disinterested posted:

my bender gave me a cold

gently caress drinking

was that entire bender a post election melt down or just coincidentally lined up

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

was that entire bender a post election melt down or just coincidentally lined up

coincidentally lined up

I haven't had a meltdown over the election

it's bad but I knew there was a good chance labour would fall flat and I hate all of the parties, albeit tories more than labour by a decent margin

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i got a cold after oktoberfest once

staying at a campground "hostel" when it was like 5ºC overnight probably did me in, though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

The girl scouts allow young boys who identify as a girl to join the girl scouts? That's rather progressive.

isnt that a little young to pick a gender identity

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Disinterested posted:

coincidentally lined up

I haven't had a meltdown over the election

it's bad but I knew there was a good chance labour would fall flat and I hate all of the parties, albeit tories more than labour by a decent margin

is the uk human rights thing signalling that there's gonna be a referendum on eu membership? that seems potentially destabilizing

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

zoux posted:

for gently caress's sake

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:twisted:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

zoux posted:

*zoux sits at keyboard with a hot cup of coffee, scans thread for a moment*

"ahh yes, yes that will do nicely. lets see, which word will do it.. pick, perfect."

e. Speaking of gender issues I was at the Brooklyn botanical garden yday and there was a dad trying to drag his crying preteen daughter into the mens room because the line for the womens room was like an hour and a half long. Like not only was she freaking out and probibly mentally scarring in real time but he was pulling on her right in front of the door so everone had to akwardly push her aside to get in while they struggled and it was like super inconvenient

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 11, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

girl scouts runs up into the young teens, i think.

but it's probably exceedingly uncommon anyhow

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

is the uk human rights thing signalling that there's gonna be a referendum on eu membership? that seems potentially destabilizing

they're not intrinsically related but it is to do with relationship with europe

basically there's two issues where there has been conflict with the european court of human rights - giving prisoners voting rights, and the right to deport terrorists

one major piece of litigation was a guy who took the government to court demanding the right to vote under the human rights act. He's a mentally unstable guy who killed someone with an axe. So he is like the poster child in the media of a guy nobody gives a poo poo about in terms of his right to vote in prison. it is an activist court ruling to insist prisoners have to vote since when most countries signed up to the HRA they barred prisoners from voting, but the court has ruled now that only serious political offences (treason, espionage) can warrant such a prohibition on voting.

the other case, amongst many, was of an algerian guy who was sentenced to death in algeria for a bombing in absentia, who is an asylum seeker in the UK who we can't deport.

the tories are pretty pissed about both so they've decided they want to repeal the old human rights act and replace it with another version which contains a number of the same substantive rights but cut back in areas like these, they call it the 'british bill of rights'

I have small but limited sympathy on both of those issues inasmuch as I don't think courts should settle the issues like they do today but these are extreme marginal cases that simply do not keep me up at night and it's not worth tearing down our human rights edifice over.

but it is an issue that comes up in discussions of europe

there will be a referendum, but that's another issue. I suspect we will not exit, that is highly unlikely. The business interests that back the conservative party will be expecting them to deliver a no vote to exit.

also, the scots won't lose the human rights act because it's part of their devolution agreement

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 11, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

so to put it bluntly the conservatives have perfect issues to run to the press with - the rights of an insane bombing terrorist and a mentally unstable remorseless axe murderer

to explain it more I'd have to effortpost hard about european law and how it integrates with british law but I don't think anyone wants that

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Disinterested posted:

they're not intrinsically related but it is to do with relationship with europe

basically there's two issues where there has been conflict with the european court of human rights - giving prisoners voting rights, and the right to deport terrorists

one major piece of litigation was a guy who took the government to court demanding the right to vote under the human rights act. He's a mentally unstable guy who killed someone with an axe. So he is like the poster child in the media of a guy nobody gives a poo poo about in terms of his right to vote in prison. it is an activist court ruling to insist prisoners have to vote since when most countries signed up to the HRA they barred prisoners from voting, but the court has ruled now that only serious political offences (treason, espionage) can warrant such a prohibition on voting.

the other case, amongst many, was of an algerian guy who was sentenced to death in algeria for a bombing in absentia, who is an asylum seeker in the UK who we can't deport.

the tories are pretty pissed about both so they've decided they want to repeal the old human rights act and replace it with another version which contains a number of the same substantive rights but cut back in areas like these, they call it the 'british bill of rights'

I have small but limited sympathy on both of those issues inasmuch as I don't think courts should settle the issues like they do today but these are extreme marginal cases that simply do not keep me up at night and it's not worth tearing down our human rights edifice over.

but it is an issue that comes up in discussions of europe

there will be a referendum, but that's another issue. I suspect we will not exit, that is highly unlikely. The business interests that back the conservative party will be expecting them to deliver a no vote to exit.

also, the scots won't lose the human rights act because it's part of their devolution agreement

how does scottish devolution work wrt the eu? is it like "we dinnae care whit ye sassenach cunts think aboot th' european union "

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Disinterested posted:

so to put it bluntly the conservatives have perfect issues to run to the press with - the rights of an insane bombing terrorist and a mentally unstable remorseless axe murderer

to explain it more I'd have to effortpost hard about european law and how it integrates with british law but I don't think anyone wants that

oh that's ok i get generally with how eu and national law goes together

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

how does scottish devolution work wrt the eu? is it like "we dinnae care whit ye sassenach cunts think aboot th' european union "

scottish devolution works fairly uncomplicatedly

but it's already been agreed roughly how devolution will work and that deal includes the scots retaining the HRA so they're unaffected probably by any repeal. Otherwise business as usual.

independence is a whole other matter, that's a real clusterfuck. scotland would have to exit the EU and re-apply for membership, though the SNP claims this is a vicious lie even though all of the legal opinion and the European commission itself says otherwise

in terms of how european integration would change under the HRA's repeal and a new 'British bill of rights', the Supreme Court would no longer have to strictly adhere to strasbourg's judgments.

assuming the legislation is declared compatible, gently caress knows what happens if it isn't

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

poll: how many vacation days do you get where you live/work?

i'm a student but at my last work place, i got 25 days excluding public holidays etc. I would also typically take 5 days off a year for study leave.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

shrike82 posted:

poll: how many vacation days do you get where you live/work?

i'm a student but at my last work place, i got 25 days excluding public holidays etc. I would also typically take 5 days off a year for study leave.

Lol, vacation days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

21 days including public holidays

poo poo is weak but normal

• Locked thread