Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neeksy posted:

If anything is "KLK but not poo poo" it would be Kyousogiga.

Again, the only thing these shows have in common is energy.

Dead Leaves or Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt are KLK but not poo poo, because they've got that whole obscenity = liberation thing that Imaishi does, but in a context where it's hilarious instead of creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Why are you disrespecting Blood Blockade Battlefront

I'm saying it has the insanity and energy of KLK and the fun silliness of Durarara.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Where are these two places? In the unlikely case that I go to NY, I want to check them out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm not a fan of Durarara, but I'm down with having a big, wild city as its own character and BBB makes it work so well. There are definitely comparisons to be had between the two but one just makes its setting feel way more organic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

I'm not a fan of Durarara, but I'm down with having a big, wild city as its own character and BBB makes it work so well. There are definitely comparisons to be had between the two but one just makes its setting feel way more organic.

Something I think works well for the anime series is that the city is a lot more peaceful. The manga has a lot of one-panel background stuff during travel scenes, and the city's pretty hectic. And violent. You see the Polisuits a bunch more, and it's generally a bunch of them ganging up on one thug to pin and arrest them.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Episode summary: :kimchi:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Started watching this as a break from finals, and it's pretty awesome. The fights just have so much energy to them! The jazz soundtrack helps a lot too.

One thing I really like is how easily identifiable the NY locales are even by a map - you can see the Old Iron District right away when Leonardo controls the trailer's vision in episode 5. It's a shame the triangle building got wrecked in the process though. :v:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The only record of the past two weeks was his elevated cholesterol levels.

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Level Slide posted:

Where are these two places? In the unlikely case that I go to NY, I want to check them out.

High Line Park. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_(New_York_City)

Apparently the 10th Avenue Square. Looks like a neat place to check out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Episode was charming, but wow that was an unfortunate character design choice. You know the one I mean.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Episode was charming, but wow that was an unfortunate character design choice. You know the one I mean.

Rude.

He was born like that.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ron Jomita Jr, haha.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nej's adorable mushroom buddy-ness is accurately preserved.

Although with that musical direction you'd think Matsumoto was framing it as a romance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

Although with that musical direction you'd think Matsumoto was framing it as a romance.

I haven't seen the episode yet (get a move on, AnimeLab! :f5:), but I'm guessing it probably is. With hamburgers. How can you not understand that, Rodyle-who-does-not-give-Hamburgers?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This was a good episode.

:unsmith:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I seriously cannot wait for the BBB soundtrack :allears:.

There's just one change from the manga this time, and that's Leo's amnesia spanned a full month, the poor bastard.

edit: I had a bit of time to kill, so now you too can have No.11 of the 100 Faces of Jack Rocket

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 10, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

What a cute mushroom. :3:

Nat
Apr 3, 2012
Blood Blockade Backgrounds :911:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The anime ending of the Leo and White subplot is definitely going to be sad, isn't it? And I am going to be destroyed.

Next episode's going to own, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 11, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

The anime ending of the Leo and White subplot is definitely going to be sad, isn't it? And I am going to be destroyed.

Ehhh, I actually doubt it. I think it'll get sad and end in a last-ditch save to bring it back to the status-quo, just because there's a lot more material they could tap for a second cour.

And yes, E-Den of Master Fighters is really good. I'm hoping they'll throw in a few extra fights or something because you rarely actually get to see Klaus really let loose.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:57 on May 11, 2015

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Speaking of Klaus I am constantly astounded how adorable the guy looks. Might be his mannerisms, but that shot of him all confused-looking in the previews and the scene of him engrossed in grotesque chess was a lot cuter than you'd expect from a dude who crushes people with crosses made of blood.

EDIT: He may even be cuter than Dog or Leo.

EDIT AGAIN: Actually Dog is more pretty than cute, so that's a moot point I guess.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Nothing wrong with a little bromance.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Nondevor posted:

Started watching this as a break from finals, and it's pretty awesome. The fights just have so much energy to them! The jazz soundtrack helps a lot too.

One thing I really like is how easily identifiable the NY locales are even by a map - you can see the Old Iron District right away when Leonardo controls the trailer's vision in episode 5. It's a shame the triangle building got wrecked in the process though. :v:

Flatiron District :V

The High Line is only about, what, five or six years old? They did their loving research.

Also a page or few ago, someone mentioned you can't see the Empire State Building from EWR - not quite true, it's visible - just smaller than in the anime.

Also they don't let you walk right off the plane at Newark, I don't think that even the small twin-prop commuters let people walk out onto the tarmac anymore.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

MJP posted:

Flatiron District :V

The High Line is only about, what, five or six years old? They did their loving research.

Also a page or few ago, someone mentioned you can't see the Empire State Building from EWR - not quite true, it's visible - just smaller than in the anime.

Haha, I've only been to New York once with a couple of friends giving an informal tour. The name was close enough :v:

Is there an image compilation anywhere showing comparisons between BBB's backgrounds and photos of actual New York? That'd be cool to see.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
With every passing episode, I want the OST more and more.

I haven't checked the release date for that, but I do know that the ED single drops on the 20th, so that's a consolation.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

graybook posted:

I haven't checked the release date for that, but I do know that the ED single drops on the 20th, so that's a consolation.

OP single is out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

graybook posted:

It can't come out soon enough :f5:.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Neeksy posted:

OP single is out.

Believe you me, bud, I've been listening to that since I knew it was out. :)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, though, why the gently caress would you make the antagonist of an episode about racism, specifically American racism, a dim-witted, money-grubbing thug who looked like an extra from Tintin in the Congo? I mean, I know Japan ain't great about that stuff, but it was an episode about racism. That kind of removes most of the usual excuses.

The ep was a really cute, charming character piece, but holy wow, way to torpedo your own message.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, though, why the gently caress would you make the antagonist of an episode about racism, specifically American racism, a dim-witted, money-grubbing thug who looked like an extra from Tintin in the Congo? I mean, I know Japan ain't great about that stuff, but it was an episode about racism. That kind of removes most of the usual excuses.

The ep was a really cute, charming character piece, but holy wow, way to torpedo your own message.

I'm pretty sure the actual antagonist was the lanky white dude.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That the black guy is the dumb and angry one sort of overshadows that, especially with the lips.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

I'm pretty sure the actual antagonist was the lanky white dude.

I was pegging them as co-antagonists. The white guy was the brains, and the black guy was the brawn.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Rodyle posted:

That the black guy is the dumb and angry one sort of overshadows that, especially with the lips.

Ah, the blackface argument.

This was a nice episode about burger-bonding and people start argumenting that a black character has big lips or happens to be more of a simple brute.
How about you talk about what happens in the episode instead?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

I was pegging them as co-antagonists. The white guy was the brains, and the black guy was the brawn.

The only reason he even seemed oblivious was he got a dose of the spores and forgot all about the death threat. He seemed pretty on the ball once he was brought back up to speed by his buddy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lol

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

plenty of black artists do the thick tube lips as visual shorthand too, its how i draw myself for caricature sometime.

some people have thick lips dude

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I can understand that reading but lol I don't think BBB is trying social commentary, much less social commentary on American racism. It's a casual fun comic and honestly the black guy was basically clueless/grunt to the other guy being a disgusting rear end in a top hat.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sharkopath posted:

plenty of black artists do the thick tube lips as visual shorthand too, its how i draw myself for caricature sometime.

some people have thick lips dude

sharkopath draws? hey you wanna link your deviantart?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

pandaK posted:

sharkopath draws? hey you wanna link your deviantart?

I don't have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

I don't have one.
You would probably find your avatar dancing ME!ME!ME! style there.

• Locked thread