Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

widespread posted:

Now, I think I've seen this one? Not sure. Was it a staple in some series or...?
Popular imaginary tracks in Forza 3 and 4. 4, especially, was a very good iteration. Fast, sweeping, great elevation changes, good lookin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

LiquidRain posted:

Popular imaginary tracks in Forza 3 and 4. 4, especially, was a very good iteration. Fast, sweeping, great elevation changes, good lookin'.

Ah. drat. Haven't gotten far in 3 at all. But I do remember 2 having some okay woods track.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

widespread posted:

Now, I think I've seen this one? Not sure. Was it a staple in some series or...?

Maple Valley was to Forza Motorsport what Trial Mountain is to Gran Turismo. It was the best original track Turn 10 ever made and possibly the best original track in any racing game ever. It was in the first 4 Forza games; they cut it from Forza 5 because we can't have nice things anymore apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv7u4sv3fI8

That being said, Project CARS wins by having Watkins Glen and Brands Hatch, the two most fun race tracks in the world.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Diet Crack posted:

Guys, it's really not asking you much to tweak the FFB settings to suit your individual wheels, of which there are like 15 different types from varying brands. No developer is going to sit down and customize a FFB profile for each and every wheel that you're still not going to like at release anyway. Get over it and find the settings you like. It's really not that hard, they even included descriptions of what each setting does. Be thankful you can actually tweak this poo poo to an infinite degree unlike most other racing games.

You really do not have to set it up for each car either. Some lighter cars may require it, but I haven't had to touch the settings on larger cars like saloons. The main FFB settings did enough for that. Even then if I do need to change individual car FFB, it's one slider that multiplies all the rest. Took me 20 minutes to get wheel settings I like which apply across the whole game basically.

Sure having to redo it all for xbox/ps4 controllers sucks, but you get very little sympathy from me and reviews become null and void if you're not using a wheel for this.

That's all well and good, but a game lives and dies on it sales and fanbase. And most players of this game are going to be playing with a controller, and aren't even going to think about tweaking anything, let alone attempt. It's great that his game first and foremost caters to the more serious racer, but if you don't also cater to the player base that is going to buy 100-fold more copies than the serious crowd ever will, then you're financially shooting yourself in the foot. That's why stuff like iRacing, which caters only to the serious racer, has to charge an arm and leg for their product, because there are so few players relatively.

I have a wheel and love it, but it would be nice of the devs met the other 99% of players at least halfway, if not more. Or you know, even at a base minimum, how about explaining what the options actually do in the game. Half the options aren't even explained, and the rest are explained in such basic detail that the explanation mostly means nothing. gently caress, even an out of game PDF manual that explained things in detail, instead of their "Digital Manual" which is entirely useless.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I suppose the mileage will vary greatly depending on which platform you're using.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's all well and good, but a game lives and dies on it sales and fanbase. And most players of this game are going to be playing with a controller, and aren't even going to think about tweaking anything, let alone attempt. It's great that his game first and foremost caters to the more serious racer, but if you don't also cater to the player base that is going to buy 100-fold more copies than the serious crowd ever will, then you're financially shooting yourself in the foot. That's why stuff like iRacing, which caters only to the serious racer, has to charge an arm and leg for their product, because there are so few players relatively.

I have a wheel and love it, but it would be nice of the devs met the other 99% of players at least halfway, if not more. Or you know, even at a base minimum, how about explaining what the options actually do in the game. Half the options aren't even explained, and the rest are explained in such basic detail that the explanation mostly means nothing. gently caress, even an out of game PDF manual that explained things in detail, instead of their "Digital Manual" which is entirely useless.

I've been using a DS4 to play and even out of the box it felt fine. I have a G27, but my setup at the moment is a bit of a bitch so i haven't bothered to set it up yet. But I'm happily playing with a controller for now and I think most people playing with controllers wouldn't notice any issues. Especially considering most of the users will be playing on casual mode rather then the hardcore modes.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

njsykora posted:

I've never seen Snetterton or Oulton Park before having played a LOT of racing games and Oulton Park especially is one I really like. Though my first race on it was with Caterhams which are endless fun to throw around. Castle Combe was in one game, either a Gran Turismo or GRID or possibly as far back as Race Driver 3. I know I've raced on it before, as I love how fast most of the track is.

Indeed, we have some good tracks here, let's hope the devs build on the base game to make a solid platform for years to come, rather than working on a second game. The game will look pretty for years, so here's hoping??

While I wait for my wheel, has anyone got some good AI stories? I got this game pretty much thanks to watching gameplay videos, I'm not really interested too much in MP racing as I know how that can go [Turn one]. But one thing that sold me was during a race, I noticed Ai cars overtaking eachother, and actively avoiding certain situations.

I had to double check to see if the vids were definitely singleplayer, but really impressed overall. Even playing a few races with my pad I do notice AI's going wide and contact with them produces spins. IMO if AI are on train tracks and never make mistakes I really turn sour on a game no matter how good it is [see GT6]

Maybe it's just me but I just feel :3 when I see two ai's gently caress eachother over. Another thing i've never seen before is when you're on a straight, an AI car overtook me, meaning he didn't take the corner slow, and BETTER THAN ME. Unlike all other games where they break too early. I need this wheel now.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

widespread posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag_dgoo5ADw&t=117s

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

tehsid posted:

I've been using a DS4 to play and even out of the box it felt fine. I have a G27, but my setup at the moment is a bit of a bitch so i haven't bothered to set it up yet. But I'm happily playing with a controller for now and I think most people playing with controllers wouldn't notice any issues. Especially considering most of the users will be playing on casual mode rather then the hardcore modes.

Sure, none of the issues are game breaking. I just mean you can get a lot of bad word of mouth going "This game is cool, but requires a poo poo-ton of tweaking." to really put a damper on sales. And while the casual mode helps, it's really only affecting a small handful of settings, so it's not going to help fix any perceived or actual problems and difficulties with FFB. The game is great now, and is a really great platform to expand on going forward with new tracks, cars, and race types, but of course none of that will happen if sales aren't as high as they should be.

gently caress, maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic, it just annoys me that they've built this great thing with tons of tweakability, and then released it with zero documentation. Maybe the devs are too close to it all, and think that players do have all the info since the game was built with the help of fans, not really seeing the forest for the trees and realizing that the majority of players only just got the game and don't know what the hell anything does.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

simosimo posted:

Indeed, we have some good tracks here, let's hope the devs build on the base game to make a solid platform for years to come, rather than working on a second game. The game will look pretty for years, so here's hoping??

While I wait for my wheel, has anyone got some good AI stories? I got this game pretty much thanks to watching gameplay videos, I'm not really interested too much in MP racing as I know how that can go [Turn one]. But one thing that sold me was during a race, I noticed Ai cars overtaking eachother, and actively avoiding certain situations.

I had to double check to see if the vids were definitely singleplayer, but really impressed overall. Even playing a few races with my pad I do notice AI's going wide and contact with them produces spins. IMO if AI are on train tracks and never make mistakes I really turn sour on a game no matter how good it is [see GT6]

Maybe it's just me but I just feel :3 when I see two ai's gently caress eachother over. Another thing i've never seen before is when you're on a straight, an AI car overtook me, meaning he didn't take the corner slow, and BETTER THAN ME. Unlike all other games where they break too early. I need this wheel now.

I saw an AI car turn slightly into an opponent in front of me and just nudged their back wheel causing them to spin out far into the gravel. I laughed. I laughed less when an AI pulled the same trick on me in a kart race. AIs will also slipstream your rear end on straights, and while they'll work to block your overtakes, they won't do so if doing so guarantees you're going to rear end them. They have actual self-preservation which is rare for racing game AI.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

njsykora posted:

I saw an AI car turn slightly into an opponent in front of me and just nudged their back wheel causing them to spin out far into the gravel. I laughed. I laughed less when an AI pulled the same trick on me in a kart race. AIs will also slipstream your rear end on straights, and while they'll work to block your overtakes, they won't do so if doing so guarantees you're going to rear end them. They have actual self-preservation which is rare for racing game AI.

Sounds good.

What was that racing game which actually promoted their AI would remember you if you smashed them off the track, and you even got points for dirty racing?!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
iRacing :negative:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

There's AI in iRacing now? or did I miss a joke?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

simosimo posted:

Sounds good.

What was that racing game which actually promoted their AI would remember you if you smashed them off the track, and you even got points for dirty racing?!

Shift 2 did and I think you leveled faster by doing that, since you have more opportunities to be an rear end in a top hat than anything else.

One thing I noticed in VR mode, the cockpits only have the front areas of the car rendered. On the 125cc karts, there aren't rear wheels. On the formula A and old lotus, the rear area is very low polygon with the tires being blocky. Most cars are very simple behind the driver.

Not that you would notice under and normal circumstance, but it is strange when compared to the detail in Assetto Corsa. I suppose it might help with performance.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GutBomb posted:

There's AI in iRacing now? or did I miss a joke?

The joke is that the other drivers never forget you, sorry, it was a bad joke

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm not going back myself.

I really really like Project Cars.

I did supercarts races with a buddy online last night. I seriously haven't had that much fun online with something in a long time.

Still using those settings I posted about yesterday. Working great in all the cars I've tested.

Side note. gently caress the Caterham 7.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Re: Maple Valley chat...
I recreated Maple Valley for rFactor, rFactor 2, and Assetto Corsa, and if track editing tools ever surface for Project CARS I'll be making it for that too. Best fictional track in any game ever.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Oh god. Maple Valley in this would be heaven.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Norns posted:

I'm not going back myself.

I really really like Project Cars.

I did supercarts races with a buddy online last night. I seriously haven't had that much fun online with something in a long time.

Still using those settings I posted about yesterday. Working great in all the cars I've tested.

Side note. gently caress the Caterham 7.

So online is OK? That's amazing if so, it's something I haven't tried yet and I was kind of expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

peter gabriel posted:

So online is OK? That's amazing if so, it's something I haven't tried yet and I was kind of expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

It's been fine on pc, even with not great latency (I'm in europe, the other goons are in the US mostly). It's fun as heck.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

hopterque posted:

It's been fine on pc, even with not great latency (I'm in europe, the other goons are in the US mostly). It's fun as heck.

This is great news, thanks :)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah. Online on PC seems solid.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
As far as DLC talk goes, I'd love to see them bring out the Corvette GT cars and the rest of the tracks on the Tudor Championship schedule. Not that we don't have some of the greatest US tracks, but Mid-Ohio, Road Atlanta, Belle Isle, Sebring, VIR, and the Daytona and Indy road courses would be awesome.

Not complaining though, having Road America, Laguna Seca and Willow Springs is awesome. I can take or leave Sonoma, those elevation changes are a bitch.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cubey posted:

Those tracks were not real. Also they were the worst.

Those tracks would be amazing with karts

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't see the AI using DRS correctly. seems they brake, it stays open, and then it closes too close to the apex. Then of course it reopens instantly for every straight. They need to put in DRS zones.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 11, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

ethanol posted:

I don't see the AI using DRS correctly. seems they brake, it stays open, and then it closes too close to the apex. Then of course it reopens instantly for every straight. They need to put in DRS zones.

Agreed. Hell DRS isn't even bound by defaults.

I'm glad it's there, but it needs some work.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
I just did the 'ring time trial in a BMW E30 after spending all of 10 laps on Catalunya Club in it. I think my mum could have got round faster. Currently languishing in last on the track/car specific leaderboards. So I tried it with the racing line on, and goddamn. I didn't make a single clean lap, it's a twitchy beast at the edge of its grip. I need to tinker with the FFB a bit more I think, because it is telling me all about the understeer and very little about the oversteer.

All in all though, I'm really enjoying it. I think my approach is going to have to be learning the car on tracks I know (Brands/Bathurst/Cata).

I also noticed there are no tuning options at the starting menu in time trial mode. Do I have to customise the car back at the garage or is everyone just dumped in the default setup without tuning options? I really don't need a full fuel tank for time trials, for starters.

Also, Maple Valley for this would be the dogs bollocks.

Lastly, the ability to pick multiple ghosts straight off the leaderboard is fantastic.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Christ. Went into the Gaf thread about this game.

"Assetto Corsa with lovely physics"

Why do I ever go to that hellhole?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Norns posted:

Christ. Went into the Gaf thread about this game.

"Assetto Corsa with lovely physics"

Why do I ever go to that hellhole?

AC does have good physics I think, I like them well enough, the cars feel like they have wieght and I like fighting the steering and back end slides in the old F1 cars.

Apart from that though PC just destroys AC in every way, I like them both but the difference in quality in pretty much every area is startling.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I bought AC on a goon recommendation , it seemed like another sim game (presentation the last thing on the list as usual). pcars is the first 'sim' game which has a bit of style finally.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

AC does have good physics I think, I like them well enough, the cars feel like they have wieght and I like fighting the steering and back end slides in the old F1 cars.

Apart from that though PC just destroys AC in every way, I like them both but the difference in quality in pretty much every area is startling.

Yeah I like ACs physics just fine. But PCARS has good physics I feel. SMS should have better defaults, because the game gives me a more feedback after using the files I posted about earler.

Dismissing something because it's diffrent is loving stupid. But GAF gunna GAF.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Ugh. Get to the end of season 2, get my contract offers for the next year. No way to see what the cars actually are beforehand (wtf is Formula Rookie?), the only info you get is a generic "wow you sound aces please come and drive our fast cars". I chose Formula...something else, can't remember what it was. But it definitely wasn't the loving Renault Clio Cup, so I'm a bit pissed that it's stuck me in there. I'm pretty sure I've also been declared the winner of a couple of kart races when I physically crossed the line second, although I'm not sure if that was bonus points for fastest lap taking me to the top?

There's so many annoying little things yet I've put in a good 15+ hours over the weekend. Certainly doesn't feel like they paid any attention to making the UI more PS4 friendly - there's way more selectable buttons than you can physically map, there's a bloody chat box in the multiplayer lobbies, the lap split times are too small to read when you're sat on the sofa. Oh, and should you be wondering why your car is slower than you'd expect, go into the tuning setup and find the fuel load - for some godforsaken reason the tank will be full, even if you're just doing a 3 lap race.

To echo some other thoughts in here, it's great that there is a PS4 driving game with this level of customisability, but for the 99% of owners who'll just go into every race with the default setup, simple things like the frigging fuel load should be automatically adjusted to suit or be a bit more in your face than 8 levels into a menu...

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

dirtyfrog posted:

Ugh. Get to the end of season 2, get my contract offers for the next year. No way to see what the cars actually are beforehand (wtf is Formula Rookie?), the only info you get is a generic "wow you sound aces please come and drive our fast cars". I chose Formula...something else, can't remember what it was. But it definitely wasn't the loving Renault Clio Cup, so I'm a bit pissed that it's stuck me in there. I'm pretty sure I've also been declared the winner of a couple of kart races when I physically crossed the line second, although I'm not sure if that was bonus points for fastest lap taking me to the top?

You sure you're not just in an invitational? I just started a Superkart season, but there's 2 invitationals before any championship events I had to do, one in a Focus and another a 3-race event where I was in a Renault.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
Playing pcars on release day, I was initially apprehensive about the physics. I played for an a couple of hours then went out of town for the weekend. Coming back a few days later and resetting the FFB to default now im kicking rear end with the karts. The physics and FFB are great, even with default settings. You just need to get used to it - as with any new sim. I didnt like ACs physics the first few days either and AC really does have a problem with lovely default setups (why are the rear tire pressures on all the cars 10% more than the front pressure?).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The UI is kind of a nightmare, yea. I'm definitely looking forward to the PS4 version simply for the ease of access. Seems like every time I fire up the game I'm dorking around in the settings.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The first thing you must do when you buy the PS4 version is turn down the radio volume becuase the control pad vibrates it is so loud in default. I jumped when I first heard it.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

dirtyfrog posted:

There's so many annoying little things yet I've put in a good 15+ hours over the weekend. Certainly doesn't feel like they paid any attention to making the UI more PS4 friendly - there's way more selectable buttons than you can physically map, there's a bloody chat box in the multiplayer lobbies, the lap split times are too small to read when you're sat on the sofa. Oh, and should you be wondering why your car is slower than you'd expect, go into the tuning setup and find the fuel load - for some godforsaken reason the tank will be full, even if you're just doing a 3 lap race.
To be honest, they probably didn't pay much attention to the practicality of the UI. Mostly to try to make it at least a good playing experience with no odd stuttering or graphics-related stuff or whathaveyou.

Still, I'm a bit iffy buying it on PC since I'm not sure if I could run it decently enough. Not sure if it'd be a good idea with the following specs:
GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC
AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics(speed's 3.9GHz Quadcore).
8GB of RAM
Now, I have options to OC out of the box but... yeah. I'm not gonna go that mad.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

widespread posted:

To be honest, they probably didn't pay much attention to the practicality of the UI. Mostly to try to make it at least a good playing experience with no odd stuttering or graphics-related stuff or whathaveyou.

Still, I'm a bit iffy buying it on PC since I'm not sure if I could run it decently enough. Not sure if it'd be a good idea with the following specs:
GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC
AMD A8-6600K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics(speed's 3.9GHz Quadcore).
8GB of RAM
Now, I have options to OC out of the box but... yeah. I'm not gonna go that mad.

I'm running on a 4760K@4Ghz and an Nvidia 760GTX, and aside from wet races with 20-odd cars, it runs like a dream at 1080p.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

dirtyfrog posted:

To echo some other thoughts in here, it's great that there is a PS4 driving game with this level of customisability, but for the 99% of owners who'll just go into every race with the default setup, simple things like the frigging fuel load should be automatically adjusted to suit or be a bit more in your face than 8 levels into a menu...
You're at an invitation event...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This came up in discussion when we were playing the other night but apparently the Marek and RWD brand LMP cars are fictional and not stand-ins for real cars like we speculated.

Unrelated but last night I was doing a 4 lap race at Spa with a couple of goons and I had a drive through penalty. I finally get my rear end in the pits and when it spits me out I have a penalty for cut corners that was inexplicably for 740 seconds. So for 740 seconds I'm limited to like 39mph. The entire race was half that long.

*edit*

oh my god this loving guy. he's bitching on the official forums because the recommended specs said Nvidia GT600 series and this goober bought a GT630 and is mad his framerates are low.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 12, 2015

• Locked thread