Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Finally broke down and bought a compressor for the airbrush that I got during the Black Friday lightning deals, and shot a couple of coats of primer on all the parts for my gun carriages. It's certainly a lot nicer than dealing with trying to get a smooth coat when brush painting.

I also put one carriage together for fitment testing, and to use to make a jig so that all of them go together with the same angle/size.

Here is the test carriage on deck with a gun barrel laid on it for fitment testing. works out almost perfect, but I need to make a slightly thinner quoin for the gun elevation so I can actually push it in a little bit. They get a bunch more little details after they are painted and assembled too, this isn't nearly 'complete', but it's the full size for making sure it was the right height for the gun ports.

Here are the parts for the rest of the carriages after priming with a penny for scale. I actually only need 6 for the model, but they come in packages of 4, so I've got 2 extra's. After I cut out the parts, I still have to sand off the edges for laser char before assembly, but I think I'm going to spray the main paint coat on while they are still like this, as my primer spray onto the assembled carriage really didn't come out very well, so the parts need to be painted before assembly.

And here is the new compressor.

Oh, I also got this last week:

The blue thing is a mechanical pencil for scale. Yes, it's a tiny little 3-axis mill. :dance:

The Locator fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Space Jam posted:

I'm into my 5th model after getting back into modeling after well over a decade. It's a Trumpeter BMP-1P. gently caress individual track links. Oh my god.

:negative:

My Maus still doesn't have tracks because I made the mistake of cutting links from the sprue before painting them and now it's an even bigger pain in the rear end.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My Maus still doesn't have tracks because I made the mistake of cutting links from the sprue before painting them and now it's an even bigger pain in the rear end.

I put some tape, sticky side up on a paper plate and stick the links on to the tape to paint them, it works pretty well.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Well, I finished a little something recently, too. I/72 Kettenkrad represent:

The kit comes with a solid or clear engine cover - I choose instead to do my own grille.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow those are tiny!

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

:3:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Sauer posted:

I made it that big because I have a pair of F-101 Voodoos I'll turning into CF-101s in the near future and they're huge.
I'm looking forward to this as well.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, I finished a little something recently, too. I/72 Kettenkrad represent:

The kit comes with a solid or clear engine cover - I choose instead to do my own grille.

1/72 kits are cute as hell. :) This armour car in 1/72 was my first ww2 model kit, and it got me hooked:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

The Locator posted:

Oh, I also got this last week:

The blue thing is a mechanical pencil for scale. Yes, it's a tiny little 3-axis mill. :dance:

That is awesome! I had no idea you could get such a small mill. I've been dreaming of a hobby room setup for when I get my new joint, and that is drat sexy.

That 1/72 car is awesome too. I'm just trying to do a 1/72 DH.88 Comet as my first at that scale, and holy cow it's small. Also I now understand why everyone is down on airfix - it is an awful kit.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sanguine posted:

That is awesome! I had no idea you could get such a small mill. I've been dreaming of a hobby room setup for when I get my new joint, and that is drat sexy.

That 1/72 car is awesome too. I'm just trying to do a 1/72 DH.88 Comet as my first at that scale, and holy cow it's small. Also I now understand why everyone is down on airfix - it is an awful kit.

At least in 1/72, a lovely kit is over sooner! :)

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Sanguine posted:

I'm just trying to do a 1/72 DH.88 Comet as my first at that scale, and holy cow it's small. Also I now understand why everyone is down on airfix - it is an awful kit.

That's just about the worst kit Airfix still produce - the mould's from about 1950 or something. New Airfix are actually pretty good.

e: it's 1957.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 13, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

1/72 kits are cute as hell. :) This armour car in 1/72 was my first ww2 model kit, and it got me hooked:

Wow that's so much better than my early efforts, good job.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Wow that's so much better than my early efforts, good job.

Thanks! It started my love affair with WW2 armoured cars and cute tiny tanks:

1:48 Sd. Kfz. 222 and Panzer II by Tamiya, lovely beginner kits.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, I built a Tamiya SdKfz 222 and PzII as some of my early kits. The 222 was the expensive photo etch/metal parts version and I didn't really do it justice. The 221 I made recently looks infinitely better.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sanguine posted:

If you have more money than I do, and want the really awesome stuff, check out this company - http://www.sherline.com/

They are the gold standard.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Anyone have any idea where to get thin mesh wire? I'm looking to do HESCO barriers in 1/72nd so I need a really fine mesh.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Check a fabric supply store. I know for my N scale fencing I use a wedding veil fabric, it's actually about perfect for HO scale chain-link but it's the finest they make so has to be good enough for me. I'm sure I've seen various sizes of square mesh too. Sewing/fabric places can often have some cool stuff.

Do the math on about how big the mesh should be in your scale then show up with a little ruler and find a mesh fabric that is the right shape/size.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Anyone have any idea where to get thin mesh wire? I'm looking to do HESCO barriers in 1/72nd so I need a really fine mesh.

How tall are the barriers? If it's an inch or less smoking pipe screens might fit the bill.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They end up being something like 15MM tall in the end. I will look into both of those options and see what works, thanks.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Raskolnikov38 posted:

How tall are the barriers? If it's an inch or less smoking pipe screens might fit the bill.

Out of curiosity, where the heck would you buy a smoking pipe screen?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

Pipe shop, obviously.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Amazon sells packs of 100 for less than 5 bucks.

Also a pipe shop if you want to overpay.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Arquinsiel posted:

Pipe shop, obviously.

Is that a British thing? :v:

Because in North America that is not a thing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I dunno, I'm in Ireland. There's at least one in the city here, possibly more. It's not really the kind of thing I care about.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tobacconists are things in north america. There's a few in town. Sell everything you need for the smoking lifestyle from pipes to cigars and a bunch of "mens" crap as well.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

They're called smoke shops here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

There used to be a "Stag Tobaccanists" in every single mall in America.

I haven't been to a mall in years, so I have no idea if it's still a thing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sorry, it's just that when Arquinsiel said "pipe shop" I was imagining a shop that just sold pipes and accessories and was taken aback

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Actual pipe shops have great stuff for scratch building too. I got a bunch of 1.5" PVC pipe to make a grain silo out of.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

I remember the head shops used to sell screens for something like 25 cents each, but you could get the same screens in the plumbing aisle of the hardware store for 3 cents each. Every cent counted back in those days when I used to spend all my money on sink repairs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

Sorry, it's just that when Arquinsiel said "pipe shop" I was imagining a shop that just sold pipes and accessories and was taken aback
Well given that I've never been in but have walked past and seen what's in the window a million times I thought that was all they did sell. However it seems they're now just a "general manly poo poo" place.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

SkunkDuster posted:

I remember the head shops used to sell screens for something like 25 cents each, but you could get the same screens in the plumbing aisle of the hardware store for 3 cents each. Every cent counted back in those days when I used to spend all my money on sink repairs.

I was also going to suggest faucet aerators but I think pipe screens are easier to get in bulk or my OSH and Home Depots just suck at carrying the former.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm not sure how it slipped my mind this morning when I saw you post, but McMaster-Carr has you covered:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-mesh-filters/=x6mknd

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm not sure how it slipped my mind this morning when I saw you post, but McMaster-Carr has you covered:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-mesh-filters/=x6mknd
That actually looks perfect, but for the amount I want shipping will likely be murderous. I'll try find a local version of that company somehow.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Can I complain about historical paint for a moment?

I've started my Junkers 290.

[

I kept the interior simple - I went totally overboard with the Fw 200 I made a few years ago, and you couldn't seen very much of that work after. So the interior is mostly stock, except for the cockpit seatbelts, which are Tamiya tape and a little leftover photoetch belts.

So on the whole, it is going well. I think I've figured out a way the rear ramp can be stowed or deployed, so I'm excited about that. One slightly vexing problem is what the exterior is going to be. I wanted to make it look somewhat like this A-3, which was captured by the Allies in Saltzburg, Austria, in 1945.

I have the Revell 1/72 Ju 290, which I'm building as the A-7 version. The airplane above has the FAGr 5 paint job, with a distemper of black green over its hellblau sides. Anyway, the FAGr 5 paint job is somewhat unusual, as its base was standard seaplane colors. These are an underside of light blue, with the standard German splinter on top. The colors on the splinter job vary widely depending on who's doing the coloring. The instructions call out RLM 74 and 75 for the splinter, which the color key at the front say is "olive grey" and "mouse grey" respectively. This doesn't help too much, as these colors are sold by Revell in Europe, but not here. Because I'm far away from physical hobby shops, I often have to hunt down analogous colors from what brands are available. The scale model helper is, for once, not being very much help. RLM 75 by this site is a 'grey-violet' sorta shade, and RLM 74 just baffles it. And then other bits of the internet start having their say, and staunchly maintain that German seaplane splinter camo was done with RLM 72 (green) and 73 (another, different green, probably black green.). Via IPMS Stockholm, here is there swatch of the three colors in question.

I've already made slightly-too-big brake lines. I may just look at many different shades for what they want, and see what pops for me. What do you gents think?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

I did not know the Ju 290 had feelers like a giant insect! :v:

Looking good so far man. I don't do plastic, so I have no decent feedback for your question though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nebakenezzer posted:

Can I complain about historical paint for a moment?

[

I kept the interior simple - I went totally overboard with the Fw 200 I made a few years ago, and you couldn't seen very much of that work after. So the interior is mostly stock, except for the cockpit seatbelts, which are Tamiya tape and a little leftover photoetch belts.

So on the whole, it is going well. I think I've figured out a way the rear ramp can be stowed or deployed, so I'm excited about that. One slightly vexing problem is what the exterior is going to be. I wanted to make it look somewhat like this A-3, which was captured by the Allies in Saltzburg, Austria, in 1945.

I have the Revell 1/72 Ju 290, which I'm building as the A-7 version. The airplane above has the FAGr 5 paint job, with a distemper of black green over its hellblau sides. Anyway, the FAGr 5 paint job is somewhat unusual, as its base was standard seaplane colors. These are an underside of light blue, with the standard German splinter on top. The colors on the splinter job vary widely depending on who's doing the coloring. The instructions call out RLM 74 and 75 for the splinter, which the color key at the front say is "olive grey" and "mouse grey" respectively. This doesn't help too much, as these colors are sold by Revell in Europe, but not here. Because I'm far away from physical hobby shops, I often have to hunt down analogous colors from what brands are available. The scale model helper is, for once, not being very much help. RLM 75 by this site is a 'grey-violet' sorta shade, and RLM 74 just baffles it. And then other bits of the internet start having their say, and staunchly maintain that German seaplane splinter camo was done with RLM 72 (green) and 73 (another, different green, probably black green.). Via IPMS Stockholm, here is there swatch of the three colors in question.

I've already made slightly-too-big brake lines. I may just look at many different shades for what they want, and see what pops for me. What do you gents think?
I think Revell colours are sold near me and postage from here is dirt cheap so if I remember on Monday when I'll be going past the toy shop that stocks the stuff I'll just sort you out with the right pots.

It is utterly poo poo paint though TBH.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
My theory on matching colours is as follows:

Given;
1) It's hard enough to match colours today with handheld reflectance spectrophotmeters and other gadgets,
2) Under pressure all production facilities will cut corners,
3) Getting colours exact in WW2 production would not have been near the top of the priority list,
4) Even the spergiest of the sperg differ on what many of the actual shades were,
5) A monitor is going to regularly give false impressions,

Close enough is not only good enough, but most likely quite accurate.

If I'm honest this is probably just over justification of sloppiness. But it feels right, man. :madmax:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Paint Soviet hardware and accuse all complainers of defeatism, reactionism and sabotage of the glorious people's arms industry :commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sanguine posted:

My theory on matching colours is as follows:

Given;
1) It's hard enough to match colours today with handheld reflectance spectrophotmeters and other gadgets,
2) Under pressure all production facilities will cut corners,
3) Getting colours exact in WW2 production would not have been near the top of the priority list,
4) Even the spergiest of the sperg differ on what many of the actual shades were,
5) A monitor is going to regularly give false impressions,

Close enough is not only good enough, but most likely quite accurate.

If I'm honest this is probably just over justification of sloppiness. But it feels right, man. :madmax:

There's been WW2 paint chat a few times, each time with people bringing up different points. Im too lazy to hunt down my post, so hopefuly im not just repeating myself.

The short version is you're pretty much correct and not just rationalizing. In fact, it's even worse than that.

From what I've read, German tanks (I don't know as much about planes) were shipped out in a base color, alongside cans of powder pigment, to be painted on arrival in whatever theater.

This pigment was intended to be mixed with gasoline as a thinner (no, really), presumably to simplify logistics. Since German logistics were comically hosed, the schmucks in the field would supposedly use all kinds of things when gas was short, including used motor oil, diesel from captured Soviet tanks, and even water. This hosed up not only the initial color, but how quickly it faded over time.

Combine this with the state of color photography at the time (and the fact that photos fade, as do museum pieces) and you get a situation where the best records of what colors poo poo actually was are frequently goddamn text descriptions. Anyone who claims that this exact shade is accurate but that one isn't is lying. Chaos reigns. Etc.

Anyway, last time around this discussion ended with me resolving to paint a king tiger with ambush camo plaid. Still working on that because I got busy building two other tanks and the SDF Macross. :downs: