Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Two quick notes:

Firstly:

:siren: :siren: :siren:
ALL BETS THAT WERE PLACED ON Spearmy HAVE BEEN CHANGED TO BETS ON Vox Tu Fistula SINCE THE LATTER TOOK THE FORMER'S PLACE IN THE TOURNAMENT.

If you have placed a bet on what used to be the Floss Thrice Daily vs. Spearmy match, and you wish to rescind it, let me know in this thread and I will allow you to take it back. Rescinding bets is not something we usually do here, but this is a unique situation.

Secondly:

We are waiting for one participant to update his or her fighter before we can begin the tournament. I'm not naming names, but if you're reading this, you know who you are. :colbert:

I have granted a 48 hour deadline, at which point the fighter goes up for grabs -- first come first served, and must be a player who does not already have an active fighter in the tournament. This means players who were eliminated in the Battle Royale are most welcome to come and take said fighter, if it's not updated before the time expires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zwingley posted:

Ahahaha holy poo poo, I wish Boots would have won, if only to see whether that build could have accomplished anything else later.

Good news: Floss Thrice Daily is almost exactly the same.

We'll see if coming into the fight fresh effects the result.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 10, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Awww... I was rooting for Boots. :(

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Boots was the plucky little abomination who did. Risky strategy against a well-armoured opponent though.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Two things: gently caress you, Dwayne. Congrats to the victor.

I can run fights anytime tomorrrow (monday).

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

(Congrats!)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That was certainly unexpected. Oh well, all my money is going on Vox from now on!

Tunicate posted:

Uh... maybe I should rethink my betting strategy.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
*Looks at bets*

Um... I know I bet 250 on myself... but it just seems wrong for me to have more betted on me than my opponent.

Come on, whoever bet that 100. I've never played DF and don't even have it installed, so I couldn't run tests even if I wanted to.
I'm gonna die horribly.

Sure, I'm not sabotaging myself like Munki does. Remembered to spend points on Fighting, my weapon skill, dodging, etc., but I have no idea how many points to spend, so everything's about even.

So, what I'm trying to say is: Bet against me. Either you win the bet, or you get to see someone who has no idea what they're doing's fighter win a fight.
It's win/win.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Doobeedoo posted:

Sure, I'm not sabotaging myself like Munki does.

I never sabotage myself!

quote:

Remembered to spend points on...

...spend...points? :confused:

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Bad Munki posted:

I never sabotage myself!
...I read the thread.

quote:

...spend...points? :confused:

It has something to do with math, I think?
I dunno, it was really late at night. I was kind of in a daze.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mass fights often skirt the edges rather than the centre. Lava pit in the middle might come into play a lot more with just two fighters facing across it.

Would also divert people around it and let more than one arrow/bolt be fired.

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

I'm so proud of Boots. :3:

Tunicate posted:

We'll see if coming into the fight fresh effects the result.
Rooting for this guy now.

LSD at the gangbang fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 11, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RARRRGH OUTFIT THAT LAST FIGHTER ALREADY!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

SynthOrange posted:

How about we put him in the arena against every other contender in their present equipment setup on the same team to see how long he lasts?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

I vote we just start the tournament now and send the tardy person into battle naked.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The last fighter is ready. We can probably start running fights tomorrow.

:siren: :siren: :siren: POLL :siren: :siren: :siren:

Do you want the center of the arena to have a magma hazard during this next round?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:supaburn:YES:supaburn:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It will be there until someone takes a magma bath.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Testekill posted:

It will be there until someone takes a magma bath.

:agreed:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Jazzimus Prime posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: POLL :siren: :siren: :siren:

Do you want the center of the arena to have a magma hazard during this next round?
No. In the middle it will be too prominent and result in far too many incinerations, which defeats the point of making the characters in the first place with skills and poo poo. Instead put four 2x2 pools of lava outside the corners of the middle open 3x3 patch so that fighters can reach each other just fine and have a bit of space for a fight before they smash each other outwards and into the lava. Also, move the walls out a tile and install a lava moat if it's not too much work.

gently caress it. Just got it done in the text editor. This:

Edit: Yes, I appreciate the irony of complaining about there being too many incinerations with lava and suggesting an alternative arena with literally 20 times as much lava.

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 11, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I am against. "And then Joe jumped into lava" is a fairly anticlimactic end to a fight.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if they jump in the lava, and before they burn to death manage to punch their opponent out with flaming, lava covered fists? :colbert:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Yetis can't catch you if you're on fire.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Plan Tink looks fun.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pickled Tink posted:

No. In the middle it will be too prominent and result in far too many incinerations, which defeats the point of making the characters in the first place with skills and poo poo. Instead put four 2x2 pools of lava outside the corners of the middle open 3x3 patch so that fighters can reach each other just fine and have a bit of space for a fight before they smash each other outwards and into the lava. Also, move the walls out a tile and install a lava moat if it's not too much work.

gently caress it. Just got it done in the text editor. This:

Edit: Yes, I appreciate the irony of complaining about there being too many incinerations with lava and suggesting an alternative arena with literally 20 times as much lava.

I'll second this arrangement.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

AnoHito posted:

I'll second this arrangement.

So will I.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I'm strongly against having lava in the arena.

The idea is cool, but characters ignore hazards when dodging attacks, so you end up with more deaths to lava than to opponents, and that just isn't cool or fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

In fact, its extremely hot.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I think I'll just wait to grab the zip until Jazz does the lava thing. I have no preference on lava.

But I'm ready to run fights all day every day (for the next 5 days).

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

I'm all for the button lava arena. Nothing can't be improved with more lava. Line the arena walls with lava.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Lava is a nerf to the dodge skill, and everyone has already built their fighter.

I approve of lava only if slade shields are introduced and can be used to surf on the lava.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 11, 2015

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

pun pundit posted:

Lava is a nerf to the dodge skill, and everyone has already built their fighter.

I approve of lava only if slade shields are introduced and can be used to surf on the lava.

Yeah, that's a fair point. Let's hold off on lava for this tournament, if we're going to have it, let people build for it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

As my dude is a dodge-y kobold I would prefer no lava!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I'm against lava.

I ran a battle royale with lava aeons ago and it ended with a quarter of combatants incinerated very anticlimactically. It's funny when one fighter chump dodges into a lava pit, but I think it'll get old if it happens more than that.

Oh yeah, probably should have posted Theseus's macro when it was asked for.

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 11, 2015

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Since I made a bigger dude it'd benefit me to have lava but I think I'm still against it. Maybe for the next one if little guys totally dominate here but it just seems like it's unnecessary. Plus people getting sliced up/beaten to death is more entertaining and varied than countless dodges into lava.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'd be ok with, say, two to four squares of lava, set up around the edge of the arena. Out of the way enough that it wouldn't come into play most of the time.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
The People of the Arena have spoken, and we won't be putting a lava pit into the arena this round.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Jazzimus Prime posted:

The People of the Arena have spoken, and we won't be putting a lava pit into the arena this round.

The People of the Arena are anti-fun tryhards.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Does this mean I can run fights now with the zip you linked earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Does this mean I can run fights now with the zip you linked earlier?

Ugh, dude, quit stalling, just do it

• Locked thread