Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The 2015 Name of the Year bracket is out and it's got some real doozies. Personal favorites are Infinite Grover, Handsome Monica, and Rev. Pierbattista Pizzaballa.

Every time Key & Peele's pop up on my DVR, the episodes with the East/West college bowl games and the substitute teacher episodes, I HAVE to watch them. They make me laugh every single time. Cartoons Plural - never not funny! And discovering this thread is just feeding this habit until the next episode appears on my DVR.

THANK YOU! :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh my god Joe Henchman

I can SEE him!

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
I just came across a girl named Aasha.

Pronounced "Asia."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Got a 10 month old baby here named Leviathan.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Phy posted:

Oh my god Joe Henchman

I can SEE him!

"I ain't gonna have ya makin' fun of my name, see? Nyah!"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, this guy's middle name is Jamrc. Seems like it's missing a few letters.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

All on Black posted:

I just came across a girl named Aasha.

Pronounced "Asia."

I once met a white girl named Africa.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

And I just now got a file with a guy named Asian.

And his last name is a normal first name, so it's like "Asian John" or "Asian Michael."

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Lotish posted:

And his last name is a normal first name, so it's like "Asian John" or "Asian Michael."

I wonder if he knows American McGee?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lestat Alucard “Skull” Schmeltz. He died :(

Obit says, "Skull was a healthy and advanced baby boy. He loved to look around, never wanting to miss a thing. Skull also had discovered his voice and liked to make noises to all those around him. Skull was deeply loved by his family. Although his time here on earth was short, his family knows Skull is now in Heaven, serving as a warrior angel in the Lord's army."

RIP Baby Skull

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Eat This Glob posted:

Lestat Alucard “Skull” Schmeltz. He died :(

Obit says, "Skull was a healthy and advanced baby boy. He loved to look around, never wanting to miss a thing. Skull also had discovered his voice and liked to make noises to all those around him. Skull was deeply loved by his family. Although his time here on earth was short, his family knows Skull is now in Heaven, serving as a warrior angel in the Lord's army."

RIP Baby Skull

Man, Bulk must be inconsolable, poor guy :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Canada just concluded it's junior hockey league draft.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

Canada just concluded it's junior hockey league draft.

Orrin U. Gladididntsaybanana

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Anyone wanna bet Loeden's an enforcer?

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Is there a rule that a certain percentage of boys born in this generation have to have names ending with N? Like ... 80%?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Lotish posted:

I work with a Hungarian lady whose surname is a Hungarian word meaning "Hungarian".

She's Anna Hungarian, the Hungarian.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Infinite Grover

Oh my god, gently caress no.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Today I learned that Penn Jillette's daughter is named Moxie Crimefighter.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

pookel posted:

Is there a rule that a certain percentage of boys born in this generation have to have names ending with N? Like ... 80%?

More specifically, {A-Z + any phoneme}aiden.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

eating only apples posted:

I work with a Hungarian lady whose surname is a Hungarian word meaning "Hungarian".

My brother in law's name is Larbi, which is Arabic for "The Arab". Incidentally, he is Arab.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'm watching an episode of Judge For Yourself from 1954, and there's a contestant on called 5/8 Smith (pronounced 'Five Eighths').

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I have a doctor whose last name is Vaidya, which literally means "doctor" in Bengali. (She's Indian, but I don't know if she speaks Bengali.)

hyperhazard has a new favorite as of 13:59 on May 9, 2015

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

I used to work with a lady called Alba (Gaelic for Scotland) who married a man with the surname of Scott, and who briefly lived in a district of Glasgow called...Scotstoun. So she was basically Mrs Scottish Scot from Scotstoun in Scotland.

Mercifully, she had a sense of humour about the whole thing, and was very grateful she had a non-Scottish middle name to break up the monotony of it all.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Irisi posted:

I used to work with a lady called Alba (Gaelic for Scotland) who married a man with the surname of Scott, and who briefly lived in a district of Glasgow called...Scotstoun. So she was basically Mrs Scottish Scot from Scotstoun in Scotland.

Mercifully, she had a sense of humour about the whole thing, and was very grateful she had a non-Scottish middle name to break up the monotony of it all.

An old friend of my family is named Dermot McDermott.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The 2015 Name of the Year bracket is out and it's got some real doozies. Personal favorites are Infinite Grover
Imagine a house falling down, forever.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Istari posted:

I'm watching an episode of Judge For Yourself from 1954, and there's a contestant on called 5/8 Smith (pronounced 'Five Eighths').

There's a joke about racial heritage in there somewhere, but I don't want to be the one to make it. :911:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

bringmyfishback posted:

There's a joke about racial heritage in there somewhere, but I don't want to be the one to make it. :911:

At least that person's ahead of Three-Fifths Tubman.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
A post from the most excellent Futility Closet blog.

quote:

Unusual names recorded in the American South by University of Florida linguist Thomas Pyles, 1986:

Oleander Lafayette Fitzgerald III
Ed Ek
Shellie Swilley
Early Hawaiian McKinnon
Sandy Gandy
Earl Curl Jr.
Percy Nursey
Rev. Fay de Sha
Lovie Slappey
Esperanza Le Socke
Pamela Gay Day
Staff-Sgt. Mehogany Brewer
Girlie Burns
Fawn Grey Trawick Dunkle
Alure Sweat
Bloomer Bedenbaugh
Martha Magdalene Toot
Okla Bobo
Melody Clinkenbeard

Cowboy Pink Williams served as lieutenant governor of Oklahoma from 1955 to 1959. And “The children of Mr. Stanford Bardwell, a realtor and a graduate of Louisiana State University, and his wife Loyola, are Stanford, Jr., Harvard, Princeton, Cornell, Auburn, and the twins Duke and T’lane. When the Bardwells go on holiday they travel in a specially equipped school bus called the ‘Collegiate Caravan.'”

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Thought of this thread when looking at my daughter's snack schedule for this month at school (parents are required to provide the snacks for some weird reason).

The 'Jessica' one cracks me up every time, but this is the first time I'm actually seeing my daughters best friend's name in print (Da'Zena). It's pronounced the same as Hellman's Dijonnaise.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Lotish posted:

Got a 10 month old baby here named Leviathan.

I know a fully grown Leviathan. He's unfortunately tall and exceedingly Jewish.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Doritos and cheese puffs are examples of healthy snacks that kids love! The juice is great that we are getting in :psyduck:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fullroundaction posted:

Thought of this thread when looking at my daughter's snack schedule for this month at school (parents are required to provide the snacks for some weird reason).

The 'Jessica' one cracks me up every time, but this is the first time I'm actually seeing my daughters best friend's name in print (Da'Zena). It's pronounced the same as Hellman's Dijonnaise.

The circle testing doesn't seem to be going very well. Those are awful circles.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Arson.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!
My training class at my new job has two names that every time our trainer tries to say it they manage to mess it up a different way.
Ke'oshea which is pronounced Key-o-sha
and Ke'moni which is Key-Mon-e

Luckily they are great sports about it and tend to just roll with the punches but our trainer is so embarrassed everytime she messes up their names.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Names like that are extremely common all around the world.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

I still believe it was just an auto correct for our son, everything else in this thread aside.

insufficient guns
May 4, 2009

personally, I would
like to fuck Wall-E

:h: :roboluv: :h:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Names like that are extremely common all around the world.

Yeah it sounds weird, then you remember that the name Scott doesn't sound weird at all. Though living in Scotland, I don't think I've met a single dude called Scott. Pretty common back in Canada though.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Domeneek

"Eek" is right.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

insufficient guns posted:

Yeah it sounds weird, then you remember that the name Scott doesn't sound weird at all. Though living in Scotland, I don't think I've met a single dude called Scott. Pretty common back in Canada though.

Yes well in "Western" history you didn't usually name someone for their heritage if they were local because what would be the point then? (Although there's a fuckload of Suomalainens in Finland for some reason.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I have a fourteen letter monstrosity of a last name that basically translates to "from a lovely Bavarian village".