Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RVWinkle posted:

This is a weird niche I fell into and even though I'm a Nintendo fanboy, I have found there are several games that are better on the Genesis that don't fit your criteria. It's mostly because they were originally developed for the Genesis and received a slapdash port but here's a few and I know there's others.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – Crossroads of Time
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Echoes from the Past
Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage

Which is why I said it's a rule of thumb. The games where you want the Genesis version instead of the SNES version are the exception rather than the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I'd say it's worth having both the SNES and Genesis versions of Lemmings. The SNES version is true to the original computer versions save one level which was also censored in, I think, the Macintosh version, and has some cute cutscenes when you finish a difficulty. The Genesis version replaces about half the levels with new ones and has two new difficulty settings.

As for graphic disparities... well, it's Lemmings, so there's not much for the Genesis to visually downgrade. Musically, the SNES version's sound quality is better but it can be overly goofy at times. I prefer the SNES version on some songs, and the Genesis on others.

However, you'd definitely want to pick up the SNES version of Lemmings 2: The Tribes, if for no other reason than the Genesis version uses passwords that make Guardian Legend's look reasonable.

Earthworm Jim might also be one where you'd want to look into both versions. Some people say the Genesis version is better because it has an additional level, but said level is complete fluff. It was literally thrown together overnight and it shows.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Genesis Outlander is objectively superior to Super Nintendo Outlander. I'm not even sure why they did the car scenes differently, and for some odd reason, the SNES was never able to do the "road rash"-like driving engine like the Genesis could. I honestly have no idea why that is.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

So how far do you guys think I can get in Symphony of the Night without using a save/life recovery room? I'm also playing no magic/no shield rod, though I'm really tempted to bust them out if I reach Galamoth...

"No magic" is easy for me because I can never get those button combinations to work. I did mention earlier I suck at fighters too, maybe that's why. No shield rod works just fine until Galamoth, like you said. It's the first fight in the game where you have to actually plan your approach a bit more.

I'd say it's entirely possible to finish the game in one run if you have previous experience with it. It's not a terrible hard game, but if you combine all these "challenges" to one run it will be interesting to see how far you get.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I almost could've done my recent SOTN run with no saves, except I forgot the tricks to beating Galamoth and got destroyed. :sweatdrop: Died a few times due to being impatient / dumb too, but if I was focusing on not dying I could've avoided it.

Then again, I practically have that game memorized, it's one of my absolute favorites.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

Which is why I said it's a rule of thumb. The games where you want the Genesis version instead of the SNES version are the exception rather than the rule.

Are they really? I don't think it's that lopsided at all, not that I can even think of too many examples either way at the moment.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Really though: everyone Please Play SOTN, and on a good sound system too, because that soundtrack

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
In that same vein, watch this ep of Devs Play of SOTN with IGA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqheYYeA4k4

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Really though: everyone Please Play SOTN, and on a good sound system too, because that soundtrack

I'm getting a new shelf for my CRT and game systems next weekend (IKEA, here I come!) and that will have room for additional speakers and/or sound system as well. Hoping to get something that will really let me hear some of those great soundtracks better than my TV's speakers.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

In that same vein, watch this ep of Devs Play of SOTN with IGA.

"Do you have anything to say about the conversation between Richter and Dracula?"
"The Japanese sounds a lot cooler."

And also the part where the english narration of the opening crawl was so bad that they had to take it out, drat. Could they really not get professional voiceovers?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Azazell0 posted:

"Do you have anything to say about the conversation between Richter and Dracula?"
"The Japanese sounds a lot cooler."

And also the part where the english narration of the opening crawl was so bad that they had to take it out, drat. Could they really not get professional voiceovers?

Seemed to be all sorts of poor until Metal Gear Solid the following year.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Sorry to butt into the current conversation but I just want to know what the opinion is on reproductions. I'm thinking about purchasing repros of Earthbound Uncut, Alien Soldier and MUSHA in the near future. I know they aren't the originals but being able to have a physical copy of a game and not have to shell out huge amounts of $$$ far outweighs the negative of them not being authentic.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

It's obviously a personal thing but they aren't my cup of tea. I wouldn't spend money on a repro, but I would spend it on a flash cart.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I am OK with reproductions and flash cards, especially right now since a lot of things seem more expensive than ever. unless you like the idea of a ton of boxes on your shelf, flash carts are a way better deal for just playing the games on real hardware.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sockser posted:

Genesis games that are cool and not on that big list:

I intentionally ignored games that have been re-released or appear on multiple platforms. Like for some reason Rocket Knight Adventures AKA the best non-Castlevania/MGS thing Konami has released (which kicks the poo poo out of quite a few Castlevania/MGS related things) hasn't been released on anything else and probably never will be. That said I do need to update it as my tastes have changed since then.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Azazell0 posted:

"No magic" is easy for me because I can never get those button combinations to work. I did mention earlier I suck at fighters too, maybe that's why. No shield rod works just fine until Galamoth, like you said. It's the first fight in the game where you have to actually plan your approach a bit more.

I actually screwed up at Beelzebub because I entered the fight with the wrong weapon. There's an axe right outside the room, too, and I thought, "Nah, I don't need that."

It is harder when you're not using the save rooms because you're not healing except when you defeat a boss or find a life up (or use a healing item, of course), though anyone good at SOTN probably won't have any major problems until the inverted castle where the damage shoots way up. It's an interesting, though time consuming, challenge run.

Wizgot posted:

Sorry to butt into the current conversation but I just want to know what the opinion is on reproductions. I'm thinking about purchasing repros of Earthbound Uncut, Alien Soldier and MUSHA in the near future. I know they aren't the originals but being able to have a physical copy of a game and not have to shell out huge amounts of $$$ far outweighs the negative of them not being authentic.

I find repros to be interesting when they're for things that never existed (translations, canceled games, stuff like that), but as long as someone isn't trying to pass off a reproduction as the real thing it's no skin off my nose if someone wants one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Also make sure that if you're playing the original PS1 release, you go into the options the second you're able because the game defaults to Mono.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I think repros of games that exist are weird. It's filling a whole in your collection with something you know is fake. It's like buying yourself a trophy.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

elf help book posted:

I think repros of games that exist are weird. It's filling a whole in your collection with something you know is fake. It's like buying yourself a trophy.

My copy of Gimmick was $70 vs $300 and is functionally the same exact thing. I think I'm a-ok with that.

Reproductions are fine so long as you aren't getting into making them look legit in my opinion. People get testy when whatever game you're doing looks like a total rip because it will end up being sold as legit elsewhere and pissing off collectors.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would love to have a Starfox 2 cart, but that's about it.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Sooooooo I went and got my PVM yesterday... now which systems can I simply buy cables for and which cables do I buy/where from? I know people complained about cheaper cables here too, so I figured it would be easiest to just ask you guys flat out so I don't waste time on crappy cables.

Gotta get speakers too. All in good time, I suppose.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

RZA Encryption posted:

I would love to have a Starfox 2 cart, but that's about it.

This actually makes a lot of sense, since the SD2SNES is super expensive and the only flashcart that does anything outside of the DSP.

I'd never pass the two repros I have off as real carts; I got them cuz they were cheap and I already had a fairly impressive Genesis collection, so I liked the idea of filling it out on the shelf. I later got an Everdrive MD, so they are completely and utterly redundant.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Caitlin posted:

Sooooooo I went and got my PVM yesterday... now which systems can I simply buy cables for and which cables do I buy/where from? I know people complained about cheaper cables here too, so I figured it would be easiest to just ask you guys flat out so I don't waste time on crappy cables.

Gotta get speakers too. All in good time, I suppose.

You'll probably need an SCART to BNC adapter. For modless rgb action you can do genesis, snes (not mini), and turbografx. (you can find the cable on ebay, it basically has the mod built into the cable). There's probably others, but those are the ones that mean the most to me, so that's all I know!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

flyboi posted:

Reproductions are fine so long as you aren't getting into making them look legit in my opinion. People get testy when whatever game you're doing looks like a total rip because it will end up being sold as legit elsewhere and pissing off collectors.

Apparently in Japan there is someone actually doing exactly that, and it's making some collectors paranoid and furious, to the point where they're wanting PCB scans for Neo-Geo and Genesis games.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

RZA Encryption posted:

You'll probably need an SCART to BNC adapter. For modless rgb action you can do genesis, snes (not mini), and turbografx. (you can find the cable on ebay, it basically has the mod built into the cable). There's probably others, but those are the ones that mean the most to me, so that's all I know!

Highly recommend http://retrorgb.com/ as a source for figuring all that out. They make it pretty darn easy for most systems.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Elliotw2 posted:

Apparently in Japan there is someone actually doing exactly that, and it's making some collectors paranoid and furious, to the point where they're wanting PCB scans for Neo-Geo and Genesis games.

Neo-Geo has always been piracy central and why most every auction on eBay has board scans. There's even an authoritative list of proper boards so you know it's legit to cross-reference http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/Main_Page

Unsurprising about Genesis games, I've seen tons of cloning options available on Aliexpress for Mega Drive so only a matter of time before it spilled over to legit sites.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sega...1941878126.html

See option 6 in this listing

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

flyboi posted:

My white whale poster isn't even game related but still amazing and impossible to find for not-$300+

I Like This

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

flyboi posted:

Neo-Geo has always been piracy central and why most every auction on eBay has board scans. There's even an authoritative list of proper boards so you know it's legit to cross-reference http://mvs.gotwalls.com/index.php/Main_Page

Unsurprising about Genesis games, I've seen tons of cloning options available on Aliexpress for Mega Drive so only a matter of time before it spilled over to legit sites.

They also offer them in bulk, too! :v:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100p...2329739026.html

Time to run off a few hundred copies of Panorama Cotton.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

flyboi posted:

I mean, if you want do make your own Genesis reproductions, you can get a 4mb single game cart for like $5 from Krizz. The flasher and boxes of Barney Hide and Seek are a bit more expensive, but nothing's really stopping anyone at this point from copying anything they want. Krizz's is also nice and you can actually put in a battery for SRAM games.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 11, 2015

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

RZA Encryption posted:

You'll probably need an SCART to BNC adapter. For modless rgb action you can do genesis, snes (not mini), and turbografx.

All PC-Engine and Turbo systems need mods for RGB.

Any old hats in here remember that ridiculous drama in retro gaming communities maybe 12 or so years ago, where some guy was selling repros? Neo Geo Freak or something? Repros weren't really a thing back then so everyone was :byodood: at the idea of ripping the guts out of original games. Plus the NG community's... eccentrities.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 11, 2015

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ofecks posted:

All PC-Engine and Turbo systems need mods for RGB.

Do they? I thought they had the necessary pins in their back connector, you just had to make a custom adapter for it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Composite is possible that way. IIRC NEC built their own encoder vs a standard chip so perhaps RGB functionality and mods are relatively recent on that platform.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Currently out retro huntin'. When I get home, there's no reason not to clean these Genesis carts with high content rubbing alcohol like I do with my NES games, right?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Code Jockey posted:

Which version? I have somehow never played this game.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Do they? I thought they had the necessary pins in their back connector, you just had to make a custom adapter for it.

Nope. You gotta tap the signal off one of the VDPs, add a custom amplifier circuit to it, then either route that signal to the DIN or drill a hole for a new one. The Duo I had years ago had the latter - a 15-pin Dsub on the back.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mikeycp posted:

The PS1 version on the PSP/Vita works fine, imo.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Here's a link to a turbografx rgb scart cable. I haven't gotten one yet but it looks to be the normal mod, just all built into the cable.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Soul Glo posted:

Currently out retro huntin'. When I get home, there's no reason not to clean these Genesis carts with high content rubbing alcohol like I do with my NES games, right?

Works exactly the same as NES games, though Genesis games have generally held up better since the clamshell boxes are still pretty common.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mikeycp posted:

The PS1 version is probably the best and most accessible since it can be gotten on the PS3 for almost nothing. The PSP version on Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles has an improved translation and additional features that makes it worth playing even if you're familiar with the game. The Xbox 360 port isn't hard to find (it was released on a disk with Frogger and an arcade Contra game, but I don't like the controller. The Saturn version may have some extra features but it's expensive and runs poorly so don't bother.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

Here's a link to a turbografx rgb scart cable. I haven't gotten one yet but it looks to be the normal mod, just all built into the cable.

Ah yeah, you get get RGB out of the expansion port without doing any mods. Forgot about that.

• Locked thread