Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Effectronica posted:

contrary to what white nerds think, the end of sati in india didn't happen because the british imposed it on the populace, but because large parts of the populace found it repugnant as well

yeah same thing with the end of the caste system. Oh wait that isn't over yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

i really dislike this generalisation of discrete "waves" of feminism, because it leaves out a ton of stuff that was going on at the same time as (in particular) america was doing their whole "waves" thing

like, all across europe the "second wave" was pretty sharply divided between the more bourgeois "neo-feminists" and various marxist-inspired "women's front" groups which were nothing if not anti-middle class, there's tons of literature basically trying to appropriate de Beauvoir (for example) for one camp or the other, major discussions of body politics vs. women's issues as wage earners, existentialism vs. class analysis etc

saying "feminism is 1st wave 2nd wave 3rd wave" is enormously reductive imo

4th wave feminism is selfies

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

i really dislike this generalisation of discrete "waves" of feminism, because it leaves out a ton of stuff that was going on at the same time as (in particular) america was doing their whole "waves" thing

like, all across europe the "second wave" was pretty sharply divided between the more bourgeois "neo-feminists" and various marxist-inspired "women's front" groups which were nothing if not anti-middle class, there's tons of literature basically trying to appropriate de Beauvoir (for example) for one camp or the other, major discussions of body politics vs. women's issues as wage earners, existentialism vs. class analysis etc

saying "feminism is 1st wave 2nd wave 3rd wave" is enormously reductive imo

i agree but marxist-feminists and radical feminists were by no means the dominant political force of feminism in the era categorized as 2nd wave feminism

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i mean, poo poo, kollontai, luxemburg and zetkin were doing their thing roughly concurrently with the english "1st wave" and lol@ the notion that those gals were insensitive to class issues

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jagchosis posted:

i agree but marxist-feminists and radical feminists were by no means the dominant political force of feminism in the era categorized as 2nd wave feminism

they were major forces in many countries, including france and the scandinavian countries

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Effectronica posted:

contrary to what white nerds think, the end of sati in india didn't happen because the british imposed it on the populace, but because large parts of the populace found it repugnant as well

you mean didn't just happen

it obviously played a role

but it was not a very common practice

zoux posted:

yeah same thing with the end of the caste system. Oh wait that isn't over yet?

the anti-caste policy school won out after the mutiny so it was never attacked aggressively

basically the utilitarian colonial school got hosed in favour of the orientalist school which is why the indian aristocracy was left intact as well

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Disinterested posted:

you mean didn't just happen

it obviously played a role

it played a role in the speed with which it was reduced to a fringe practice, but indigenous movements against it already were forming before the beginning of the british conquests

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Effectronica posted:

it played a role in the speed with which it was reduced to a fringe practice, but indigenous movements against it already were forming before the beginning of the british conquests

ya

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

more people should know about alexandra kollontai imo, she's mad impressive

probably my favourite semi-obscure figure of the october revolution

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

they were major forces in many countries, including france and the scandinavian countries

ya but western liberal feminism, and its associations with well, liberalism, was a big factor in feminist activism not taking off in the global south until more recently tho

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i don't think that a culture deciding that it might be problematic to immolate widows necessarily absolves it of its other sins.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jagchosis posted:

ya but western liberal feminism, and its associations with well, liberalism, was a big factor in feminist activism not taking off in the global south until more recently tho

possibly, i just took the opportunity to raise a pet peeve of mine

i genuinely didn't comprehend what people were talking about re: the whole "waves" concept of feminism for the longest time because it jives so poorly with political feminism as it's been expressed where i'm from

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I love when I make a form document and people don't read comments

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

also on npr this morning they had a story about how bad korea is for single mothers. like they are mega shunned and something like 90 pct of babies born to unwed mothers are put up for adoption. they interviewed a girl who was adopted by an american family and when she went back to korea to find her birth mom she discovered that it was her grandma that put her up for adoption while her mother was at work

the gently caress korea?

sounds like nutranurse's ideal country

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
new wave feminism: everythings all day-glo and girls, they wanna have fuh-un

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

possibly, i just took the opportunity to raise a pet peeve of mine

i genuinely didn't comprehend what people were talking about re: the whole "waves" concept of feminism for the longest time because it jives so poorly with political feminism as it's been expressed where i'm from

scandinavia is so ahead of the curve it barely factors into my understanding of political feminism

i used to have a job following swedish riksdag proceedings and reading the gender mainstreaming debates on every bill just warmed my loving heart. go scandinavia :unsmith:

fix the race/immigration thing tho

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

new wave feminism: everythings all day-glo and girls, they wanna have fuh-un

everything a woman thinks and does is empowering

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the next leader of the lib dems, everyone

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

sounds like nutranurse's ideal country

sounds like korean baby prices are plummeting

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

can we get one politician out of the UK who cant be described as "mushy-looking" in some capacity

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I'm really legit curious what India would have been like if Britain hadn't derailed from its pre 1857 trajectory in India.

the aristocracy would have been expropriated and much more radical social reform would have taken place

I suspect it would have caused india to fracture away from the sooner

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Has there been any good news lately.

Like maybe some humans won an election in Alberta maybe

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jagchosis posted:

scandinavia is so ahead of the curve it barely factors into my understanding of political feminism

i used to have a job following swedish riksdag proceedings and reading the gender mainstreaming debates on every bill just warmed my loving heart. go scandinavia :unsmith:

fix the race/immigration thing tho

realtalk, i actually have a lot of optimism re: race relations in norway, at least - sweden is a different issue, because they pushed earnest multiculturalism very hard for a while and are dealing with a pretty ferocious backlash. we have the major unions on our side, we have a solid parliamentary majority including the Institutional Party of Norway all agreeing that this is an issue that needs to be worked on, the racists have to resort to really shady sub-communication to get their point across, etc

there's a way to go, but i think it's improving, little by little

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

i can't carry the party, mister clegg, but i can carry you :3:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jagchosis posted:

lol

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Why the hell do I raise my pinkies off home row and let them hover

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why the hell do I raise my pinkies off home row and let them hover

my biggest typing sin is only ever using the left shift key

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSUe_-3PIFk

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

farage is staying on as head of ukip

god drat it

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

i use my entire right hand but only like two fingers of my left

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Disinterested posted:

god drat it

didn't he vocally announce his resignation literally a couple of days ago

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Disinterested posted:

god drat it

lol seriously? didn't he promise he was going to resign?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

didn't he vocally announce his resignation literally a couple of days ago

he did resign and his party said lol no you're staying

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it seems like everyone in ukmt besides pissflaps is one bad election result away from literal mental breakdown

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

so basically he didn't actually want to go and wanted to save face about reneging on his resignation

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

i think i've found a new game to play. people seem to like the weird poo poo

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

so basically he didn't actually want to go and wanted to save face about reneging on his resignation

the likeliest explanation

it would make sense for ukip to pressure him to stay though since that party is farage's one man band

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

zoux posted:

also on npr this morning they had a story about how bad korea is for single mothers. like they are mega shunned and something like 90 pct of babies born to unwed mothers are put up for adoption. they interviewed a girl who was adopted by an american family and when she went back to korea to find her birth mom she discovered that it was her grandma that put her up for adoption while her mother was at work

the gently caress korea?

i thought that was more a big thing during the dicratorship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

yassssss

• Locked thread